FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio configuration...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Asquerthian
Audio configuration...
on Oct 31, 2016 at 9:57:28 pm

Seems that the audio configurations available depend on the number of source tracks in a file...

e.g. a 6 track bwav can be configured 4 ways:
6 mono,
3 stereo
1 x stereo, 2 x mono, 1 x stereo
5.1 surround

a 10 track bwav can only be configured 2 ways:
10 mono
5 stereo

Is there any way of overriding these configurations? (I'm guessing they are hard-coded)
(e.g. my 10 track BWav might be 1 x stereo, 2 x mono, 1 x 5.1 surround)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Audio configuration...
on Oct 31, 2016 at 11:52:06 pm

In what real world scenario would you have that configuration?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Nov 1, 2016 at 8:33:44 am

Noah, thanks for replying.

In the world of broadcast it is normal to have multiple different audio configurations.

e.g. a live game will be covered 5.1 surround, with a 2.0 folddown. This produces 2 x 5.1 and 2 x 2.0 for full mix & international
a show to be edited might have multiple 5.1 sources (full mix, audience, fx), 2.0 (music, VT) and 1.0 (isolated mics)
a drama might well have a sound recorder with a 2.0 guide mix and multiple 2.0 and 1.0 sources (fx / isolated mics) and include MS material - this may well be correctly configured in FCX if the iXML data is correct, I haven't tried that yet, but the data is often incorrect.

In tight turnaround (or low budget), the audio is finished in the NLE - no audio post.

There's much to like about FCX - I give time to give it a serious look at every iteration. And it is getting closer (some stuff would be super useful, but it falls down in the audio department every time for me).

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:03:25 pm

[Trevor Asquerthian] "In the world of broadcast it is normal to have multiple different audio configurations. "

Same here. I find that turning off the auto audio channel grouping stuff helps, and X gets it right. More user config options is always better though...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Nov 2, 2016 at 12:07:48 am

Have you messed around when sharing Master File? For audio choose Multitrack Quicktime Movie and you can easily send roles out as anything you want. Just for fun I just created a 16 track QT file with random roles as 5.1, stereo, mono in totally random order to create a mess and it all came through exactly as I shared it showing a total of 16 tracks with 2 5.1's i stereo and 2 mono. The tracks have the role name so you could easily create a Project with lanes for specific roles in whatever order you needed for deliveralbes. Maybe I'm crazy but seems pretty easy and cool!

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Nov 2, 2016 at 7:43:27 am

Lance, this is the source file I'm talking about.

I agree that the roles designation on export to multiple tracks works well - and is reflected in the audio configuration if exporting Quicktimes. Sadly I don't think MXF has the ability to designate anything other than as a mono track - and thus you cannot recreate the audio configuration when importing the resultant MXF back into FCP. The choice is 16 mono or 8 stereo on a 16 track file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]