FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAW 8K RED footage playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Culbertson
RAW 8K RED footage playback
on Oct 29, 2016 at 6:47:23 pm
Last Edited By James Culbertson on Oct 29, 2016 at 6:47:49 pm

Thought I would mention that I just downloaded some RAW Weapon 8K Red footage (8192x3456, 25p) onto my 2013 MBP, and its playing back smoothly in an 8K Rec 2020 timeline with no transcoding (though switched to better performance). Still smooth if I add color correction, title, and other effects. So, I am all set when my corporate clients switch over to 8k HDR deliverables.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: RAW 8K RED footage playback
on Oct 30, 2016 at 2:44:48 am

[James Culbertson] "So, I am all set when my corporate clients switch over to 8k HDR deliverables."

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 5, 2016 at 5:48:54 am

Pleased to hear this.

One thing that makes me curious is that as I'm waiting for an Epic-W to be delivered in the next few weeks, I was under the impression that the new helium colour space was not supported in raw format yet by fcpx or premiere. Which version of fcpx and the red drivers are you running and was it actually a full r3d sequence or just a still frame, or was it an 8k ProRes file?

I'm sure the new MacBook pro's will receive ample testing from the pro community, but if, and only if Apple doesn't release any more updates to their pro line in the next 12 months, this MacBook is a machine that they are offering for the next wave of 8k cameras that are coming to market from red and canon. If not in prores or proxy format, I really, really want to know what they can do in raw. Because ultimately that's what many editors will have to work in, and if the new MacBook Pro can work with 8k raw files, then my initial lack of enthusiasm might well burn away....

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Nov 7, 2016 at 9:25:22 pm

[Tom Sefton] "Which version of fcpx and the red drivers are you running and was it actually a full r3d sequence or just a still frame, or was it an 8k ProRes file?"

FCPX 10.3 (I tried it on both my 2013 MBP and my 2013 MacCylinder)
Red Apple Workflow installer v 11.0.0 (10/11/2016)

R3D 8k, no transcoding, but using "Better Performance." No dropped frames indicated by FCPX.

Color looked good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]