FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Mixing...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Asquerthian
Audio Mixing...
on Oct 29, 2016 at 8:48:48 am

Is there a way of mixing audio to more than 2 outputs without it being 'decoded' by the surround panner at all?

Simple sources, dialogue, music, effects

Outputs 1&2 (Full mix) are Dx + Mx + Fx
Outputs 3&4 (M&E) are Mx + Fx

They are getting closer with Roles/Lanes, so if anyone has figured out a way then it would be great to hear it.

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
Re: Audio Mixing...
on Oct 29, 2016 at 10:37:22 am

Share as master file, then set "Roles as:" to "Multitrack QuickTime Movie". Then you select what your outputs should be.

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Oct 29, 2016 at 10:47:00 am

Sorry, should've been clearer. I want to send these to 4 live outputs (and maintain the capability of editing).

Delivery is baseband playout, rather than file, for a number of reasons.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 30, 2016 at 4:13:44 am

I think for now the answer is no discrete multichannel playout. just Mono, Stereo, or 5.1 stream. However, now that master Roles have kind of become busses/groups (all clips are assigned a subrole), maybe it's possible in the future?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 30, 2016 at 6:26:24 am

In Steve Martins sessions at the Summit he specifically said this has changed. Previously, all output from X was auto mixed down to either stereo or 5.1. But with 10.3 this is no longer the case. You can, for example, change a stereo component to dual mono and via the application of settings apply things like level adjustments as well as EQ metadata - and that will now be expressed as channel data on export. This is what he meant, I think, by saying each clip can be thought of as it's own mini-mixer. If I understand this correctly, it's a potentially HUGE game changer in X audio handling.
It slso means it's now more crucial than ever to learn to set Roles metadata EARLY, since that's where you can apply this type of audio components manipulation - basically using Roles as a Buss and the sub-roles within them as "channels.
This was the discussion. I haven't had time to test anything personally. One last thing is that unless you expand your audio components beyond just the default stereo on a clip, your audio components remain limited unless you go and "open in timeline" to reveal them.
Some of you audio oriented folks go kick the tires and see if I understood all this correctly. There was massive amounts of content to absorb from this weekend.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 31, 2016 at 1:52:59 am

[Bill Davis] "Previously, all output from X was auto mixed down to either stereo or 5.1. But with 10.3 this is no longer the case. "

This is still the case... There is no way, currently, to have FCP X play out multiple discrete channels.

[Bill Davis] "You can, for example, change a stereo component to dual mono and via the application of settings apply things like level adjustments as well as EQ metadata - and that will now be expressed as channel data on export."

Not sure what you're saying here... But as you noted what has changed is that Parent Roles are now basically mix buses. For this reason, you can't assign Parent Roles directly to audio components anymore. Components are now assigned subroles so... subroles are now essentially channels. It's pretty cool how they did this actually.

When you put a project into a Compound clip now, it mixes all the subroles into their parent Roles, which you can show in Lanes and apply EQ/Effects etc. You can also view the CC components as subroles, where all clips with the same subrole are mixed together and the apply effects etc to them in Lanes view.

If you apply an effect to a clip with multiple components with different Roles (i.e. Dialogue and Effects), And put that in a Compound clip (or Multicam or Synced clip), when you show the Roles you'll see a new "Mixed Audio" Role. For that reason... be careful applying Effects to multichannel clips with mixed Roles. Best thing to do is only apply effects to components.

[Bill Davis] "This is what he meant, I think, by saying each clip can be thought of as it's own mini-mixer. If I understand this correctly, it's a potentially HUGE game changer in X audio handling."

Well, if by that he means that when you apply an effect to a clip it mixes the output(s) to a Role(s), then sure. ? The game changer for FCP X is that it sets the stage for a UI for signal processing/mixing. If they want to do that...

[Bill Davis] "One last thing is that unless you expand your audio components beyond just the default stereo on a clip, your audio components remain limited unless you go and "open in timeline" to reveal them. "

That's always been the case, it was the only way to assign multichannel Roles in X until now.

Anyway, back on topic... there's no way yet to do live, discrete multichannel output. Not export, you could always do that via Roles, but playback.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]