FORUMS: list search recent posts

No expand all audio or collapse all audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
No expand all audio or collapse all audio
on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:58:09 pm

Completely changes my workflow. When editing or mixing I'll often expand all the audio. In fact, I wish there was a toggle to leave it that way and have new clips added to the timeline be expanded. But instead, Apple seems to have removed the function. Why do that?

Return to posts index

Christian Bille
Re: No expand all audio or collapse all audio
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:09:32 pm

The A-lord giveth, then taketh away.

Was wondering the same thing.
Have to collapse on a per-clip basis now (or lasso multiple clips).
Maybe it'll come back. I used that function more than I thought (now that it's gone).

At least it's a release with overall more good than bad.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:12:29 pm

I'm pretty cool with everything else, except the COLORS. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but to me the darker colors of the clips/roles, with the lighter variant on the text of the clips in the timeline is very straining. If I were to have created a graphic with those combinations my client surely would've nixed it.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 29, 2016 at 7:18:08 am

[Bret Williams] "I'm pretty cool with everything else, except the COLORS."

Me too. Like staring into a dark night. My eyes can't seem to focus as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:26:57 pm

Is this really completely gone? I noticed last night that my keyboard shortcuts for expand/collapse all audio weren't functioning anymore but thought I had a corrupt keyboard setting. Trashed preferences, relaunched FCPX and they still didn't work. I thought it was a glitch on my machine.

If they removed that functionality completely, what replaces it? Do we have to go to the timeline index and use the audio lanes and roles/subroles settings now?

And I'm really disappointed that there are only a handful of preset colors to choose from. Why not give us the system color picker to choose whatever color we want? And what happens when you have more than 12 roles (I think there are only 12 colors)?

Is it too early to be complaining about the new release? LOL.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:32:09 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Is it too early to be complaining about the new release? LOL.
"

Obviously not!

Submit feature requests, they obviously read them :)

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:35:19 pm

Trust me - I will, and I have! In fact, I think they kind of implemented a couple things I've been requesting. I couldn't believe it!

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:00:52 pm

[Michael Hancock] "If they removed that functionality completely, what replaces it?"

You select all the clips you want to expand and then ctrl S. That's not horrible as you can select all then ctrl+s. But, try to toggle it the other way. It won't toggle closed if any of the clips you have selected don't have audio, like a title or a video only clip. So you get to do it one by one or a group at a time. Fun stuff. Previously, switching between better performance and better quality would close all the expanded audio and key framing, but not anymore!

More later, right now I have to go individually close a crap load of expanded audio clips...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:04:49 pm

Aha! Show and hide audio lanes will toggle them all closed. A PIA if you wanted them open I guess.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:39:17 pm

I always complained to Apple that I had to toggle audioclips open (Expand) and that Every new clip I put in a timeline again, I had to expand again. I am going trough the new tutorials of Ripple Training about the 10.3 update and it seems like it is quite the opposite and the new system kind of does what I asked: you have a chance to put components open in one view and keep them open instead of constantly expanding.
Am I wrong?

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:44:35 pm

Expanding audio and components are two very different things. I rarely show components.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:58:24 pm

As I've been Editing with it I've found that I've left the audio lanes open all the time. I like having ALL of the audio under the video and the fact that 10.3 is so much faster means i'm happier to leave the waveforms on all the time, especially as I can now have a full screen timeline

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:00:18 pm

I know they are different (although I wouldn't call them completely different - I always regarded components as a 'more expanded' view of audio than normal expand) but doesn't this new view kind of let you have an detailed video open while editing, without toggling constantly? It seems like a good thing to me even if they lost the normal expand option (which I can't verify yet, I just downloaded the new version)

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:15:18 pm

I dunno. Lanes take up way too much room to be used much for me. We'll see.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:19:00 pm

I del with components when the individual channels need to be adjusted separately. I might still adjust the overall audio of a clip with the regular expanded audio. In a way I guess it's like a mini channels and bus view.

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Oct 28, 2016 at 8:36:36 pm

I assigned "Show/hide audio lanes" the same short cut I used to expand all audio. It doesn't expand all clips as before, but it looks pretty close to what it used to be. Didn't have a chance yet to test it on a real project, only playing with it on home machine so far, but I hope it can replace the lost expand all command...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 29, 2016 at 4:29:22 am

I missed that too, but after working with it for a while... it's all about using the new views, and it takes a bit to figure out the best combo of Lanes/show/hide Subroles, Clip height, etc. Focusing on a role solves any issues with things taking up too much space for me. In spades as they say. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mike Warmels
on Oct 29, 2016 at 6:30:50 pm

I'll prolly work with the lanes open. I like a bit of order in my audio instead of the Tetrislook we had before.

What I still don't get is why we're still not able to customise the UI a bit more: like the background colors, the sizes of the lanes, or individual sizes of the various clips. We have some customisability now, which I'm happy about. But it still feels restricted. Plus, it cramps up my screen very quickly... I would like a bit more control over the sizes of stuff.

Weird thing in the end is: they put stuff back we once had in FCP7... except in a variation. Why not give us back more of what worked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]