FORUMS: list search recent posts

No audio only clips above primary.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
No audio only clips above primary.
on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:56:12 pm

Interesting. Bill what do you think? You've hyped this as a good thing for awhile. I always found it to be a mess when I tried it. Kinda seems rude to just remove it though.

Return to posts index

Christian Bille
Re: No audio only clips above primary.
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:39:28 pm

GOOD!

That really needed to get "fixed".

While not messing anything up per se, it was just annoying to see people put audio above video.
I double as both editor and colorist, and it just rubs me the wrong way when an editor throws me a messy timeline *I* then have to clean up.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 29, 2016 at 10:38:29 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 29, 2016 at 1:56:24 pm

I really liked occasionally putting a sound effect such as doorbell ring/knock at door next to those cutaways.

Guess I can still do i with a compound clip and perhaps that's better manners anyway.

I found lot of FCP Legacy users were not that disciplined with timelines sometimes (myself included in the early days) so allowing people to be even more chaotic when the Magnetic Timeline is otherwise so helpful for keeping a nice tidy timeline seemed to be encouraging bad practice?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:44:58 pm

I will miss that functionality because there's still no way to connect a clip to a connected clip, so if a piece of audio travels with a connected clip, you have to look both above and below the primary, so I would put the audio clip above the primary so I would remember to move it. Lane mode settles this a bit since the audio will be in the same lane below the primary, but I don't think I'll work in lane mode all the time.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:51:21 pm

Here's an idea, and maybe it already works this way but I haven't tried it. If I drag an audio clip to the effects lane, does it's role become effects? Just kinda seems like it should. But then we'd be editing tracks for audio aren't we? :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:55:32 pm

But it's an audio Effects role, not a video Effects role, know what I mean?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:02:28 pm

I don't. But perhaps it'll come to me later.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:05:43 pm

[Bret Williams] "I don't. But perhaps it'll come to me later.
"

I can't assign a video "Effects" Role to get it above the primary to an audio only clip.

Of course, I can assign an Audio Effects Role, and all of the effects will live in the lane, but it won't be attached to the connected clip, it will be attached to the primary. So if the connected clip has a different audio Role, like say, Dialogue, or SOT, that effects clip will have to remembered when and if I move the connected clip.

Make sense? :)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:19:14 pm

Yes. But I think we were discussing two different things. I just wanted to apply roles by dragging them to the appropriate lane. Like a track. I have no use for video roles.

Speaking of connections, how come you only see them when a clip is selected now?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 28, 2016 at 6:25:07 pm

[Bret Williams] "Speaking of connections, how come you only see them when a clip is selected now?"

When not selected there is a small dot at the bottom of the clip to show there is a connected clip clip, I like it MUCH better than the ugly connection bars

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:36:57 pm

[Bret Williams] "But I think we were discussing two different things."

Oh. I thought we were still talking about audio clips above the primary. Apparently, you had moved on! :-D

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2016 at 7:39:03 pm

I guess I should quote more. I always view as threaded and there's not as much need. Unless of course everyone else isn't viewing threaded mode. :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 29, 2016 at 9:39:20 am

Sorry, a big night as you can imagine. I'm getting to bed super late.

About losing audio "above the line", I feel exactly the same as when I lost my beloved Project Library in the transition to 1.2. Once again, my small personal loss nets the editing world a much bigger gain. Oh well. I can live with that.

Obviously, my traditionally schooled thinking that tracks should whenever possible be grouped by functions (1-4 dialog, 5-8 music, etc, etc) - often left me with with video and audio clips separated by way too many tracks. Audio with video adjacent was fun while it lasted, but now, with the lanes able to slide around in groups with Roles metadata, I can ALWAYS have the audio groups I'm working on right below the baseline, so I get a good bit of what I wanted, along with lots of significant new capabilities that will be fun to explore.

BTW, we all got a chance to go "hands on" with 10.3 running on shiny new Touchbar MacBook Pros during our Apple visit! (took this photo grab from a 360VR snap after my "turn" driving X - forgive the polar distortion making things in the center of the shot look unnaturally small - I should have used my iPhone but had my little Theta S in my shirt pocket so I just used that.)

Anyway, 10.3 on the MacBook Pro with Touchbar positively FLEW. Really. It was scary responsive.

The modal "TouchBar" was a real wow. You can honestly "see" the mini-storyline with enough detail to swipe or tap anywhere - so moving around even the largest project just got insanely faster and more intuitive. No lag at all. Just tap where you want to go - and you're there. It's small (you can barely see the Touchbar in the photo, but it's there, trust me. Even after it lights up it's super flat and smooth and not "glare-y" at all - so it's not like a night light that distracts you from the main screen - It's got multiple modes, so you glance at it to see what mode it's in, then watch the screen for the effect it's having. Just like most of us no longer look at our keyboards, I think It's going to "disappear" during editing really fast and just become very intuitive. I"m excited to learn what editing is like with it. Think of it kinda like a long, thin trackpad above that matches well with the (now much bigger) one below. I think it's going to make a HUGE difference as editors get used to it, particularly for things like adjusting colors and sound values in real time.

BTW, those dual "deep color" monitors are BEAUTIFUL. And it shocked me that a LAPTOP's processors could generate all those 4k ProRes frames to toss around with truly imperceptible lag anywhere on both displays.

It "feels" like a Ferrari for editing. At least as configured at the demo. No knowing if things will feel that perfect when real world systems ship - but the "touch" of the machine in the picture was a big WOW.

That's my quick "hands on" report. Off to sleep now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]