FORUMS: list search recent posts

mapping audio channel output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederico Cengarle
mapping audio channel output
on Oct 28, 2016 at 1:27:11 am

Hi FCPX users,

sorry if that question seems dumb but I'm fairly new using FCXP. I have a ProRes files with 16 audio tracks (discrete mom tracks). I'm trying to playback the file through my Kona Card but seem to have a hard time figuring out how to set the output channels. Previously, in FCP7, this was pretty straight forward, we simply set the right number of output channel in our seq settings and then right click on each audio tracks to send them in the right output bus.

Is there a way to do so in FCPX?

Thanks a lot
-F

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: mapping audio channel output
on Oct 28, 2016 at 3:07:23 am

Nope. Output directly in X is either 2.0 or 5.1 mixdown.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Frederico Cengarle
on Oct 28, 2016 at 3:18:51 am

Thanks a lot Noha,

so how would this work (let's say that I'm only playing the first 6 tracks in 5.1) will the tracks be mapped sequencially (meaning that the first active track will be on the first output channel, the second one on output 2 and so on...)?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 28, 2016 at 3:39:34 am

They will be matrixed- you cannot get individual channel into busses out of X. For that you need Logic, ProTools etc.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Frederico Cengarle
on Oct 28, 2016 at 4:06:30 am

Thanks again,

so this means that if we have QT file that aleready have 5.1 mix (L, R, C, LFE, Ls and Rs) we can't simply play it back in FCPX (it will rematirx it)?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 28, 2016 at 5:25:44 am

May I suggest you check for yourself?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Oct 29, 2016 at 8:26:51 am

[Frederico Cengarle] "so this means that if we have QT file that aleready have 5.1 mix (L, R, C, LFE, Ls and Rs) we can't simply play it back in FCPX (it will rematirx it)?
"

I'm a perennial newbie on FCPX but, until a grown up comes along, here's how I understand it:

Sequence ('project') can be 2.0 or 5.1 surround (CMD+J - project properties). That's it. Anything outside those norms are mixed down to the project setting.

e.g. you can assign source tracks to be 7.1 surround - but that will be mixed down within a 5.1 surround.

BUT if you put a configure a source as 5.1, and put it into a 5.1 project, WITHOUT a pan effect added, then the tracks will come out as intended (do beware that the metering is Ls L C R Rs LFE - easier to identify if you bring up big audio meters with Shift + CMD + 8).

If you wanted to use the 6 channel (surround) project setting to achieve, say a normal deliverable of stereo full mix and m&e outputs, then you'd need to get into playing around with the surround panner. And you'd be in for a world of hurt...

I've been investigating editing with Roles and nesting my master sequence in a compound clip.

The compound clip is then the 'submaster' and can be edited and monitored in stereo.

The master sequence (containing the compound clip only) can be set to surround and used for final QC playback / export.

The roles of the compound clip within the master sequence can then be routed using the surround panner. Sadly this does some kind of 'decoding' for surround, so I wasn't able to use it as a simple router.

Herein lies the problem, as I see it, in that Apple refuse to have an audio mixer in their NLE.

If anyone can point the way to achieve this deliverable on playback (i.e. send FX and MX roles to 2 x 2.0 outputs and DX role to 1st 2.0 output only) I'd love to hear. Roles/Lanes have got us closer...

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]