FORUMS: list search recent posts

KeyFlow Pro updated to 1.7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
KeyFlow Pro updated to 1.7
on Oct 19, 2016 at 6:06:50 pm

Lots of cool stuff in this update for FCPX users.

1. Client Uploads. The biggest upgrade for sure is store-to locations. If you're connected to a KeyFlow Pro library, you can now upload files either to the library file itself or to another location like a network drive. KeyFlow Pro remembers your preferred store-to locations at the project and group level. This is what I've been begging for for a year and it works great because it allows you to maintain your current folder structures.

2. FCPX Role Editing. Another one I wanted forever. Assign FCPX roles in KeyFlow BEFORE you send to FCPX. This is a big deal because FCPX doesn't always guess your roles right. Especially useful if you reuse a lot of media like Rampant Design flares with a custom role like 'GFX OVERLAY' or Video Copilot Sound Effects.

3. FCPX Clip Metadata. Lots of other FCPX Metadata can now be assigned before ingest besides markers and annotations. Reel names, camera angles, notes, and more can be written in KeyFlow Pro. Good stuff for multicam shoots and things like that.

4. Batch Renaming. Change titles en masse in KeyFlow Pro. Especially useful with targa sequences or any big batch of files you want to rename. This affect clip titles, not finder filenames, so you're good there.

5. Active Users. You can now see who is connected to your library in a list by clicking the active users button at the bottom of the screen.

6. Poster Frames. Double click a file, select the frame you want to be your poster frame, then click the poster frame button. Not a huge deal but a nice little enhancement.

One Caveat. The big gotcha here is that they have capped the number of simultaneous connected users to 5 by default. You can have more than 5 users allowed to connect to a library, but only 5 at a time. The reality is that maybe 2 or 3 of us actually connect more than 5 at a time so this change is more of a psychological limit vs a practical one. Because these server updates have now put KeyFlow Pro on par with some of the bigger subscription based MAM's that cost infinity, there needs to be a way for larger organizations like schools or networks to use KeyFlow Pro and buy more connected user seats.

I talked with the team at great lengths about this. Unfortunately the app store doesn't have any way to give discount codes on in-app purchases for pre-1.7 users. Hopefully this will change soon since the Mac App Store seems to be getting more love these days. As for me, I'll buy more seats (+5 for $99) because I have been using the 1.7 beta for a week now and while I still have some little nit picks here and there, we have finally reached the point where KeyFlow Pro works damn near flawlessly as a network storage collaborative management system. The only thing we need to do at the server computer (we use a dedicated mac mini for it) is create groups and projects, which is pretty rare.

I'm going to try to post a walk-through video today.

You can always go to Keyflowpro.com to test out the free trial. The app is $299 on the Mac App Store and can be installed on every computer you own with no subscriptions, serial number hassles, or infinite price tags.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: KeyFlow Pro updated to 1.7
on Oct 19, 2016 at 9:45:17 pm

Thanks for the update info. Sounds like there's a lot of cool new stuff.

FCPX Role Editing looks like a really superb feature.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]