FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Tour Case Study

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FCPX Tour Case Study
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:50:06 am

A good look at Danish broadcaster's experience with FCPX.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1862-we-publish-the-presentation-v...

or here:

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: FCPX Tour Case Study
on Oct 12, 2016 at 4:38:43 am

That was interesting to see and to hear that they felt it enabled very fast editing. Also, that the final audio went through Pro Tools. I am guessing that was so they could mix it, not so much construct or edit the audio.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:33:20 pm

Pro Tools is pretty much the default audio environment for TV and film audio post. Depending on the type of production, it could just be mixing or it could be everything related to audio other than actual edit points. For instance, the audio editor and/or team will clean up all dialogue edits, add all SFX and music and mix.

But to play devil's advocate, I had several take-aways from this case study.

1. The decision was made by a producer, not the actual editors who have to use the app. Although they did like the choice.

2. Part of the reason the producer liked FCPX was because he wanted to dabble with the timelines and wasn't personally that strong with other NLEs.

3. They were interested in native media editing, which in the end was a mistake, due to corrupt exports. Ultimately they went back to transcoding all media.

4. This is an "island" within a larger operation. It awaits to be seen whether the rest of the facility will transition.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:43:45 pm

I didn' hear the presentation of Danish broadcaster, but the next day presentation of English /Finnish director Benjamin Mercer was absolutely stunning.
He is currently editing one of the bigger european films on FCPX. Later he had an interview about FCPX and why he is using it and it was equaly inspiring.

There was also a presentation of Patrice Freymond explaining how Swiss national broadcaster RTS is editing with FCPX and Lumaforge. I think the article about this case was published previously.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:48:20 pm

We probably will wait with publishing Benjamin Mercer's presentation, which was absolutely stunning, I agree. Ben will be doing an updated presentation about this huge feature film during our next FCP X Tour on November 4th in Barcelona, and we will publish that one right after the event.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 12, 2016 at 8:44:49 pm

Yes, the producer made the decision but not because he only knows FCP X. The main reasons for choosing FCP X were speed, flexibility and cost-efficiency, which he explains in the video. Most of the editors who work on this production already knew FCP X and yes, they are very happy with how things have turned out so far.

The reason why they have finally turned to optimizing their footage was the wrong choice of recording codec. There are known issues with the 50Mbps Mpeg codec of the C300. These issues also occur in other NLEs. After noticing the problems they tested the same footage natively in Avid, with the same results. For their next programs they are going to use a different codec and/or camera, and they are going to edit everything natively in FCP X.

Yes, this is an island in a bigger operation, but it's a start and they have made a huge impression so far. The same thing happened at another major Danish production company that used to be 100% Avid: it started with a few programs in FCP X, and after awhile their management noticed the benefits of this workflow. Now the entire operation is switching to FCP X.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 12, 2016 at 11:52:17 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "Yes, the producer made the decision... "

Thanks for the feedback. I saw all those answers in the video. As I said, the counterpoints I brought up were for sake of discussion.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]