FORUMS: list search recent posts

NVIDIA and Macs again someday?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
NVIDIA and Macs again someday?
on Sep 24, 2016 at 9:20:31 am

NVIDIA Corporation Could Win Back the Apple Inc. Mac
http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/23/nvidia-corporation-could-win-back-...

NVIDIA job listing seems to imply such.

"From the listing, we can see that NVIDIA is working on software to allow its graphics processors to function properly in future Mac products.

In light of this, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple choose NVIDIA graphics processors for future iMacs, MacBook Pros, or both. That said, we can't really infer much about potential timing of NVIDIA's inclusion in future Mac products from this job listing, if the company's chips are ultimately selected."

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: NVIDIA and Macs again someday?
on Sep 24, 2016 at 2:12:34 pm

We can defiantly hope! The GTX 10-series are very impressive cards. That said nVidia has had a poor track record in the Mac. Heaps of bugs and relatively poor OpenCl performance. I also think the word on the street nVidia wasn't interested in a custom GPU for the MacPro-class machine.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Sep 24, 2016 at 6:53:33 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "I also think the word on the street nVidia wasn't interested in a custom GPU for the MacPro-class machine."

The cards were designed by Apple, the chips made by AMD are the same as they are in the PC cards AFAIK.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Sep 24, 2016 at 6:05:20 pm

I never really thought of them as having an aversion to NVIDIA. My Mac Pro 1,1 came with a terrible Geforce card stock, my rMBP (2013) has a Geforce discreet GPU, my new MacBook Pro has ATI cards, and my Mac Mini runs Intel. Each Macbook Pro I've owned (four at this point) has had what felt like a random ATI/NVIDIA card. Apple really doesn't seem married to one brand over the others, they've swapped back and forth several times in the ten-ish years since adopting Intel CPUs. Right now they seem to be entirely ATI, but I figured that was just because ATI had the best compute / power / price ratio at the time the machines came out. We're due for a refresh of almost the entire Mac line, and it wouldn't surprise me the least to see NVIDIA cards end up in a few of them.

NickZimmerman.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]