FORUMS: list search recent posts

The iBag

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
The iBag
on Sep 22, 2016 at 12:19:22 am

Here's what Apple has been spending time on instead of FCPX or the next Mac Pro :)

It’s hard to believe this is even true. So sad.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2016/09/apple-unveils-bag/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/20/apple-patent-recycled-pa...

Shouldn't this be an April Fool's joke or an Onion story?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: The iBag
on Sep 22, 2016 at 12:21:33 am

Looks like Apple's got this one.... in the bag.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:17:19 am

I saw one comment where someone asked if it was compatible with their groceries. Priceless! Wondering when the next update is available.

Tetris is my favorite video game unless tracks are involved.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 22, 2016 at 3:05:23 am

At least you don't have to subscribe to Apple's bag...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on Sep 22, 2016 at 7:25:40 am

Will I have to jailbreak it to make compatible with 3rd party milk?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 22, 2016 at 8:04:22 am

The first release won't have handles, but they are expected to be added in a future update

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:15:51 pm

I think we can finally change the name of this forum, as many are wont to do, to the "Bag Apple" forum.

Besides, the debate is pretty much over, Final Cut Pro won.

:-D :-D

:-D

:-|

:-(

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 22, 2016 at 8:04:40 am

Exactly.

And what about stupid Tiffany!

Those idiots thought that standardizing the look and feel and even the freekin' COLOR of their box could somehow have an actual effect on the perceptions of the people receiving said box as a gift.

What total idiots.

Sweating the smallest details NEVER signals a quality effort - but then as editors, we all clearly know that already.

Good enough rules.

; )

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 22, 2016 at 8:28:17 am

Bill, it's a bit of fun, you don't have to defend Apple in EVERY thread

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2016 at 4:05:33 pm

Oh GREAT! I just made a huge purchase order for Envelopes and Sack.... and now this is coming out, with zero notice and no input fro the user base... why do they have to jerk their customers around every time? I'm seriously considering switching everything in my shop and home to Boxes. and maybe, Jars.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:19:27 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:21:51 pm

Steve,

The OP put forth a thesis.

It had a point of view.

There's a reasonable opposing point of view.

Having BOTH to examine can lead to greater understanding.

That's the way debate works.

Have a nice day.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 22, 2016 at 5:27:09 pm

Bill,

the OP was joking

It wasn't an actual thesis, it was an exaggeration

That's the way humour works

Have a great day

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Sep 23, 2016 at 12:03:51 am

Yes, certainly...an opposing opinion on a bag design certainly makes sense to me...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 23, 2016 at 2:31:37 am

Does OP stand for Oliver Peters or Original Poster?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 23, 2016 at 5:21:55 am

Yes.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:28:57 pm

[Bill Davis] "And what about stupid Tiffany!"

OK, I give up, what about Tiffany? Do they have patents on color lamps? I'm asking in all honesty here, I don't know what your alluding to.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 24, 2016 at 2:20:34 am

Herb,
The idea was sorta that Apple, by devoting design resources to a patented iBag for people to use presumably to carry Apple Store purchases out of the stores, was being stupid and over thinking a problem that didn't really exist.

I was just pointing out another famous retailer for whom the very same attention to the packaging has resulted in legions of gift givers (and recipients) for whom the packaging color and style ITSELF has long been a powerful and effective brand ambassador.

A Tiffany blue box - in a gifting situation - is a thing that a LOT of people recognize worldwide and associate with high quality.

Nothing more than that.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 24, 2016 at 2:50:22 pm

I think you are reading more into the post than it merits. It was certainly in part tongue in cheek. I don't really care what a phone company does with its gazillions of dollars :)

However, I do think it's stupid that this is something that can be patented.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 24, 2016 at 3:24:16 pm

[Bill Davis] "
I was just pointing out another famous retailer for whom the very same attention to the packaging has resulted in legions of gift givers (and recipients) for whom the packaging color and style ITSELF has long been a powerful and effective brand ambassador.
"

Nothing says "I love you" like more post consumer waste. ;)

I think Apples product packaging already gets there. A plain white bag... not so much, IMO. From what I gather the bag is just going to be a bag except that Apple's figured out a way to structurally re-enforce it so that it can carry more weight than other bleached white bags composed of similar amounts of recycled material.

[Oliver Peters] "However, I do think it's stupid that this is something that can be patented.
"

Corning has a patent for making glass stronger (Gorilla Glass), so why shouldn't Apple get a patent for making bags made from "white solid bleached sulphate paper with at least 60% post-consumer content" stronger? Sure, it's not as sexy as Gorilla Glass, but if it's a unique solution to the problem that no one else has thought of yet then why not?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 24, 2016 at 3:44:34 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "but if it's a unique solution to the problem that no one else has thought of yet then why not?"

In my mind, it depends on whether you are patenting the end result or the industrial process to create it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 24, 2016 at 11:56:30 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "but if it's a unique solution to the problem that no one else has thought of yet then why not?"
[Oliver Peters] In my mind, it depends on whether you are patenting the end result or the industrial process to create it.

Patenting was intended to protect original innovation or genuine invention. By allowing patents to apply to adaption rather than invention it is being used to restrict trade practices. A bag development is hardly a new invention or even an original bit of innovation. Not sure about the glass because it might actually be a whole new chemical or physical process. This is just a heavy duty bag.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 25, 2016 at 6:41:08 pm

[Michael Gissing] "A bag development is hardly a new invention or even an original bit of innovation. Not sure about the glass because it might actually be a whole new chemical or physical process."

Other companies make 'hardened glass' but Gorilla Glass is the name for Corning's version. So Corning has a patent on it's own process, not on hardened glass in general. Even Apple has a patent for it's own brand of hardened glass, but it continues to use Corning's product.

[Michael Gissing] "This is just a heavy duty bag."

I'm in no way a bag expert, but sounds like it's a heavy duty bag made out of materials that, prior to this, weren't strong enough to be used in a heavy duty bag. If Apple's bag is indeed stronger than other bags "...formed of white solid bleached sulfate paper with at least 60% post-consumer content" thanks to its unique construction why shouldn't that be patentable?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 25, 2016 at 11:37:50 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "If Apple's bag is indeed stronger than other bags "...formed of white solid bleached sulfate paper with at least 60% post-consumer content" thanks to its unique construction why shouldn't that be patentable?"

If they have indeed developed a new material to use then that should be patentable. For a mere development of existing materials then I don't see the point other than making it difficult for others. It is part of my general dismay at how patenting is used to catch out other people's innovation or force other manufacturers to have to spend a lot of time and money to make sure there ongoing development doesn't suddenly leave them liable for an ambit claim.

I remember my father, who developed microwave technology, saying that patenting was often a waste of time as it stifled co-operative development in the electronics world and chewed up heaps of development time doing the applications. He felt many patents were useless as almost everything can be designed around. In his opinion it suited lawyers and management but was just a pest to real invention which is what it was designed to protect.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 26, 2016 at 6:45:41 am

[Michael Gissing] "If they have indeed developed a new material to use then that should be patentable. "

Patents extend beyond just creating of new materials though. Apple's patent takes existing material (bleached paper that contains at least 60% post consumer material) and says it has figured out a way to build a bag that is significantly stronger than other bags made of the same material. If Apple has developed a new/novel, non-obviously method of constructing these bas (not just something obviously like just making the bag out of thicker material and/or putting enforcement in obviously areas) I think it should be patentable.

For an extreme example, if I developed a new and unique weaving method that allowed me to make bullet proof vests out of single ply toilet paper I should be able to patent my process, right? I shouldn't be able to patent toilet paper, or bullet proof vests or even bullet proof made out of toilet paper, but I should be able to patent the novel/new, non-obvious process that I created.

I have no idea of Apple's patent should be valid or not (I don't know enough about the patent, the patenting process or bags bleached bags made out of at least 60% post consumer waste), but conceptually I have no problem with someone building a better mousetrap and wanting to put a patent on it.

[Michael Gissing] "I remember my father, who developed microwave technology, saying that patenting was often a waste of time as it stifled co-operative development in the electronics world and chewed up heaps of development time doing the applications."

From a developers perspective I agree with your dad. From the stand point of a business owner who has to generate sufficient revenue in order to pay the salaries of the developers on staff I agree with the need for patents and other laws protecting IP (and the business owner and developer could certainly be one in the same person). The system isn't perfect, and it could certainly use overall (though no more overall from Disney) but I think it's needed because some people are power hungry, greedy dicks that want to horde everything for themselves at all cost and that spoils any sort of altruism the rest of us want to put forth. Even IP laws, which were supposed to be used as shields for the little guys, too often get turned into swords by the big guys.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 26, 2016 at 10:08:37 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Even IP laws, which were supposed to be used as shields for the little guys, too often get turned into swords by the big guys."

And I see this as one of the big guys wielding that sword. In previous posts bout patents I have expressed the opinion that software shouldn't be open to patenting and I feel that companies like Apple and Microsoft in particular have used patents on both software and hardware to crush smaller entities. I remember when Microsoft were threatening users of Linux with punitive licensing demands as somehow Linux infringed one of their patents.

So when I see Apple patenting a bag I suspect it is about control and stiffle rather than a real need to protect their IP. Perhaps the bag is legit but the fact that this thread was raised as a bit of a piss take maybe means it is sword wielding and not entirely legit.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 23, 2016 at 3:34:58 am

Saw that... had to read it twice... thought it was some kind of April fool's joke...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]