FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sierra info

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Sierra info
on Sep 21, 2016 at 1:35:08 am

For those willing to the the plunge:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/macos-10-12-sierra-the-ars-technica-re...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Sierra info
on Sep 21, 2016 at 2:37:40 am

Thanks Oliver, that's a VERY important read for those of us with older Mac Pro towers.

For those of you who don't feel inclined to read the entire article, a hugely important thing everyone here needs to know is that with Sierra, Apple is dropping support for many of those older Macs that many in our biz have upgraded and are continuing to use. However, the author writes that in many cases installing Sierra may work just fine, st least for a while, until third party drivers cease to be available or cease to work, which he estimated be could be a year and a half to two years out, possibly.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:25:19 am

Gee, this could be a problem... but Apple saved me by making upgrading take days, not hours...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 21, 2016 at 1:44:41 pm

Thanks for posting.

From the article

"Apple will typically offer to repair and replace Macs bought between five and seven years ago. At that point, the hardware becomes "vintage," and Apple will no longer service it (with exceptions made in accordance with local laws). Products discontinued more than seven years ago are declared "obsolete," at which point repairs will not be made and parts cannot be ordered."

So which will come first, a new Mac Pro or the 2020 date of obsolescence?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 22, 2016 at 1:19:13 am

Just bit the bullet and upgraded after cloning the main drive first. Need to do some tests to see how it goes.

Tetris is my favorite video game unless tracks are involved.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 22, 2016 at 6:42:30 am

"Besides, the debate is pretty much over, Final Cut Pro won. "

Won what?? A bag?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 23, 2016 at 3:39:06 am

Okay, but is anyone actually using MacOS Sierra with FCP? I have several machines that qualify.

I also have an aging 2008 MacPro, but it has a modern video card and lots of RAM, so maybe it will accept it anyway?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 23, 2016 at 6:12:18 am

[Mitch Ives] "I also have an aging 2008 MacPro, but it has a modern video card and lots of RAM, so maybe it will accept it anyway?
"

Not officially, you'll need a hack to do it

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Sep 23, 2016 at 9:43:36 am
Last Edited By Fabrizio D'Agnano on Sep 23, 2016 at 2:03:18 pm

I have installed Sierra yesterday. I did not have the opportunity of a long FCPX editing session because for some reason it's apparently impossible to drive a super wide external monitor via the HDMI output at it's native resolution. The largest option is 1080p, so everything is distorted and blurred, and I had to quit after half an hour. It seems I'm not the only one experiencing that issue, and no fix has been released yet. I lost a few hours, but it was a good opportunity to test how to revert to the previous OS version using CCC, that was indeed a fast and flawless experience, and to restore the old habit of not upgrading the OS before a few months from its release...

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
2014 MacBook Pro Retina, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.9.4

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 23, 2016 at 2:35:34 pm

I cloned my main system drive before installing Sierra just to play it safe. For some unknown reason I could not install Sierra on an external drive but was able to clone to that same drive.
Going to invest in another internal drive, maybe more for storage. Have not had time to test everything out but will do so this weekend.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:46:47 am

Very comprehensive article, almost in the category of too much information for me. Since I am currently using Pro Tools, I will have to wait on this one for a while.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 29, 2016 at 1:59:10 am

a little OT here. For grins, I upgraded to Sierra on a non-edit essential Mac Book Air 2014. All is good, but now the fans run out of control (long after indexing should be done). Activity Monitor shows a DLmpd process using 99%. Anyone seen this and is there a solution or wait until the next update? Another good reason to never update a brand new OS on a critical system. Thanks in advance

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 29, 2016 at 7:29:15 pm

I thought all was well with Sierra until it was time to license Color Finale. I am glad I did clone my main drive ahead of time. I erased my main drive but cannot get Serria to install again. I get the prompts about the computer needing to be verified and after clicking on continue nothing happens. Not sure what gives but I am pissed off. Excuse me while I feel the cuss jar with money.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]