FORUMS: list search recent posts

Who's opinion matters to you?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin P McAuliffe
Who's opinion matters to you?
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:33:07 am

Who's opinion on FCPX has mattered to you the most, or for that matter, who's opinion do you want to hear?

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Trainer
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Who's opinion matters to you?
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:50:25 am

[Kevin P McAuliffe] "Who's opinion on FCPX has mattered to you the most, or for that matter, who's opinion do you want to hear?"

That's easy! How about a substantive "opinion" from someone (make that anyone) at Apple who will lay things on the line, call a spade a spade, and make a definitive statement about the direction of FCP X, its target audience, and what the in the Hell the EOL of FCS3, at this moment in time, had to do with any of it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:55:28 am

I'll tell you whose opinion matters to me the least....

David Roth Weiss

simicolon Parenthesis

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:59:59 am

Too bad you did that Matt, this one might have been an interesting thread. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:01:14 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Too bad you did that Matt, this one might have been an interesting thread. :)"

eh... i figure most everyone stopped reading my comments in this thread by this point.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:05:20 am

[Matt Callac] " i figure most everyone stopped reading my comments"

Louisiana boys are always on the bestseller list. I'm from NOLA you know.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:12:15 am

[David Roth Weiss] " I'm from NOLA you know."
interesting. I grew up on the NorthShore (slidell).

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:59:50 am

[Kevin P McAuliffe] "Who's opinion on FCPX has mattered to you the most"

WB, RH, SR, DRW, JH, MR.

[Kevin P McAuliffe] "who's opinion do you want to hear?"

Mr. Lawrence.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:03:28 am

[Alex Hawkins] "Mr. Lawrence."

I'm with you there Alex. that has more potential than hearing from Steve Jobs himself. At least more potential for accuracy.

And THNX for your honorable mention.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:37:39 am

You're more than welcome David.

I know I don't post here much but I am an avid (no pun intended) reader of all these forums.

I have been grazing here for a decade now and your wisdom has set me straight many a time right from the early discreet edit days. . .

. . .er, so Thanks.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:10:55 am

Well,

One thing I AM noticing is that on at least two of the major boards I frequent - and I'm concerned to note that this is actually one of them - there is a pretty evident sudden spate of "opinion" pieces that seem to argue in favor of a switch from FCP to Premier - and then I glance at the advertising sideboard and sure enough - I see that Adobe appears to be a significant board sponsor.

Let me be clear, I'm not implying - in any way - that either site is guilty of any form of bias whatsoever. And I know that none of my personal comments - pro OR con about anything - have ever been censored either here or on the other site I'm talking about.

I do know, however, that when I worked as a columnist in the magazine industry - the best publishers and editors had an IRON CLAD division between the advertising staff and the editorial staff. Personally, as a reader in my younger days - I always wondered when a magazine suddenly published a glowing review of a product I'd never heard of before - and two pages later I saw a full page clearly paid advertisement for that same product. But I'm skeptical that way.

I do think this discussion is important since I really enjoy this community and this board - and the DIGG example is fresh in my mind - where a site had an extremely robust and trusting community which literally went from TRUSTED to BUSTED in weeks.

THAT is scary.

For what it's worth.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:23:19 am

Bill -

Most of the editors talking up PP are long time FCP contributors like Walter Biscardi. They are not shills.

Since Apple has officially s**tcanned FCP7 we are all faced with the dilemma of migrating in the near future. And as the Apple apologists have continuously pointed out, FCPX is a totally new system and therefore has no greater hold on anyone here then any other system.

It is only natural that PP gets discussed, along with Avid or Sony Vegas for that matter. PP probably gets mentioned more often because many editors already own the Adobe Creative Suite, it has a similar interface and it can read legacy FCP projects. In fact it is FCPX that is probably the LEAST compatible NLE in existence for a FCP7 user.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:35:39 am

[Herb Sevush] "It is only natural that PP gets discussed, along with Avid or Sony Vegas for that matter. PP probably gets mentioned more often because many editors already own the Adobe Creative Suite, it has a similar interface and it can read legacy FCP projects. In fact it is FCPX that is probably the LEAST compatible NLE in existence for a FCP7 user."

All very good points Herb, especially this last part.

Meanwhile @ Bill: Heck, we know for a fact that the people at AVID bought Walter breakfast, cuz he told us all about his breakfast in excruciating detail. It wasn't Adobe that paid for his damn waffle, so jeeze, how the heck can you say he's shilling for Premiere?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:17:42 am

I was reading the Avid forum last night and the AJA adds kept coming up. Coincidence?

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:54:21 pm

I'm not the least bit excited to have to switch platforms. But since I am forced to switch platforms, Premiere Pro seems to make the most sense.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:13:19 am

I saw a 14 year old doing some rail grinding with a GoPro on his skateboard. He'd probably be a good one to ask about FCP X, and what's going on at apple. But on second thought, I don't know if I'd actually trust his opinion, since he would have been born 'last century'. Maybe I'll hold out and hope I run into a ten year old.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:17:36 am

[Scott Sheriff] "I saw a 14 year old doing some rail grinding with a GoPro on his skateboard"

Ouch. Scott,
why you always gotta get personal.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:40:08 am

[Matt Callac] "Ouch. Scott,
why you always gotta get personal."

LOL!
When I was 14, we were all lucky if we could go four feet on a skateboard before we ended up going ass-over-teakettles!

Since so many of the 'young bucks' that are hot to trot over X have made it pretty clear that they think the opinion of anyone over 25 is worthless, I thought it might be good to get some perspective. By the time the 14 year old is 25, the 25yo will be in his mid-thirties, and pretty much ready to be put out to pasture by his own standards.

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Jim Glickert
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:29:09 am

When Walter Biscardi, Shane Ross, and David Roth Weiss have something to say about FCP X (or anything else, for that matter), I listen. I wish I knew as much about video editing as any of them may have forgotten, and I trust that what they have to say is accurate and sincere.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:08:03 am

[Jim Glickert] "When Walter Biscardi, Shane Ross, and David Roth Weiss have something to say about FCP X (or anything else, for that matter), I listen."

Wow!!!

That's good to hear in these tough times.

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:49:46 pm

I totally agree with Jim Glickert ! I have been following the posts of these 3 guys, specially David Roth Weiss who I don't know how, always "find" my questions around here and ALWAYS come with some very, very good thoughts. He has always given some kind of advice that mekes me see a light at the end of the tunnel.
I've been surfing around to read everything about FCPX, following the tutorials from Kevin P McAuliffe, the Ripple Training guys and what I can realize is that the App is not ready for those PROs who own a Post Production company that work for Broadcast and Hollywood feature films Industry but maybe it is ok for the rest.
"The Rest" is probably the market I've been working for, Corporate Videos, Training Videos, Internet, Intranets. I'm not a Youtuber and I'm not editing or doing any kind of post-production for a feature film, then let's say I'm a Junior Pro hopping to be Big. I wont take the word Pro from the title because I make money from my work.
I hope Apple come with things to make the PROs around Creative Cow happier. That way I will not loose contact with them. And I will always hear something from them.
Today I'm waiting to hear from David Lawrence, who post an intresting thread.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/9060

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel 4 Core i5
16 GB memory

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

OWC RAID 5 with 3TB
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:00:36 pm

Fredy -

Your being much to nice to David. If you swell his head it might mess with his golf game.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:18:54 pm

[Fredy Schwerdtner] "David Roth Weiss who I don't know how, always "find" my questions around here and ALWAYS come with some very, very good thoughts. He has always given some kind of advice that mekes me see a light at the end of the tunnel."

You always ask good questions Fredy. And, your momma trained you say thank you. So, it's always a pleasure for me to help you.

[Fredy Schwerdtner] "what I can realize is that the App is not ready for those PROs who own a Post Production company that work for Broadcast and Hollywood feature films Industry but maybe it is ok for the rest."

As you've mentioned Fredy, X has some very useful tools for faster & smaller projects. And, it's especially good for cutting those codecs that formerly required transcoding. However, it has limitations, some you've heard about, and others that I suspect will soon become the new forum scuttlebutt.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:21:39 am

I'm listening to the pros AND cons.

David has good points. So does Chris Kenny, although I have more reservations about Apple itself than does Chris. I'm in a "waiting to see where the chips fall" stage at the moment.

I like the magnetic timeline, with caveats, but on other issues I need to be convinced.

Meanwhile, I'm editing a project on Premiere.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:13:36 am

The only opinion that matters to me is my own. More people should make their own mind up about FCPX rather than forming an opinion based on the musings of others...

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:50:49 pm

I agree with that Liam. For the most part I make my own judgements especially since my company will give strong consideration to my buying advice. However, there are a few blogs that I read and people that I respect and would be interested in their opinion. I would be interested to hear Stu Maschwitz opinion on FCPX. But right now I'm leaning towards a recommending a switch to PP. We have it in our edit suite but all the producers have FCP7 on their MacBook Pro's. I also agree with David, I would love to hear from Apple about their direction.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:54:45 pm

Its fairly unanimous that the hard hitting FCP editors, here on the Cow, despise X.

I'd really like to here from people Like Walter Murch and the Cohen Brothers on their take.

....and his royal highness, of course, too.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:19:53 pm

Eventually, Apple will HAVE to say something about the professional market. Still scratching my head as to when. I suppose they are waiting for some redemptive talking points?

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:42:00 pm

[Liam Hall] "The only opinion that matters to me is my own. More people should make their own mind up about FCPX rather than forming an opinion based on the musings of others..."

I would agree with that basic principal. However it's impossible to ignore David, Walter and Shane's opinion. And I would add Walter Soyka to that list.
How many thousands of questions have they answered about post software over the years.
I would consider what they have to say on this a bit more than just musings.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:55:47 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "I would consider what they have to say on this a bit more than just musings."

Very true, but also the only one to really have the ability to determine weather or not a tool is right for a certain person's use is that person himself/herself. Those guys for the most part have said that it won't fit their workflow...that doesn't mean it won't fit another person's workflow.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:11:43 pm

[Matt Callac] "the only one to really have the ability to determine weather or not a tool is right for a certain person's use is that person himself/herself. Those guys for the most part have said that it won't fit their workflow...that doesn't mean it won't fit another person's workflow."

For the record, I do consulting work with clients all over the globe at times, and I even have a couple who already are using FCP X on my recommendation. These are mostly indies with no formal knowledge or training however, and they are purely web only. Indeed, there are people who absolutely do rely on my "musings" to direct their purchases.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:17:50 pm

DRW -

I even have a couple (of clients) who already are using FCP X on my recommendation

That's nothin'. I just told a friend of mine to get his 12 year old daughter a copy of FCPX to do her school projects on. You know - the right tool for the right job.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:26:42 pm

But why would you recommend they spend 300 when they can just use iMovie for a school project?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:30:46 pm

She is very bright and has some real talent and had grown past Imovie which she found too limiting. FCPX seemed perfect for her. She'll probably post something on Youtube that will make her famous and, if I'm lucky, I'll be working for her within 2 years. Then I'll have to eat my words and use X.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:19:06 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "For the record, I do consulting work with clients all over the globe at times, and I even have a couple who already are using FCP X on my recommendation. These are mostly indies with no formal knowledge or training however, and they are purely web only. Indeed, there are people who absolutely do rely on my "musings" to direct their purchases."

Funny, I was going to put a disclaimer about deferring their opinion to someone else with more experience, but I left it out.

No one ever doubted the use of your musings.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:24:10 pm

[Matt Callac] "No one ever doubted the use of your musings."

Even my client who bought his new Mac Pro and FCS 3 on June 20th has never doubted me for a minute Matt, but I'll probably be wondering about that one for years.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:32:43 pm

[Matt Callac] "Very true, but also the only one to really have the ability to determine weather or not a tool is right for a certain person's use is that person himself/herself. Those guys for the most part have said that it won't fit their workflow...that doesn't mean it won't fit another person's workflow."

Unfortunately apple, in their infinite wisdom does not have a 30 day trial for X. So that means you can either rely on the opinion of others, or shell out 300 bucks to see if you like it. To spend 300 dollars for a tool to do professional work is NBFD, but that is still a lot of money to flush down the drain if it's a dud. Now I understand that they have been handing out refunds, but that info is word of mouth, not a published policy and could change at any time.
And then there is the situation itself, not just the app. The opinion of long time FCP advocates is invaluable since apple chooses to operate in a cloak and dagger fashion, rather keep users in the loop.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 6, 2011 at 5:42:15 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "Unfortunately apple, in their infinite wisdom does not have a 30 day trial for X. So that means you can either rely on the opinion of others, or shell out 300 bucks to see if you like it...

...The opinion of long time FCP advocates is invaluable since apple chooses to operate in a cloak and dagger fashion, rather keep users in the loop."

Very good point Scott.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:24:35 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "[Scott Sheriff] "Unfortunately apple, in their infinite wisdom does not have a 30 day trial for X. So that means you can either rely on the opinion of others, or shell out 300 bucks to see if you like it...

...The opinion of long time FCP advocates is invaluable since apple chooses to operate in a cloak and dagger fashion, rather keep users in the loop.""

I don't recall any of Apple's pro apps ever having a 30 day trial, which does suck. Maybe they did for shake for a bit I can't remember. 300 bucks won't break the bank either way...but if you don't want to buy it...you don't have to...it won't hurt their bottom line much.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:09:43 pm

[Matt Callac] "but if you don't want to buy it...you don't have to..."

True dat.
But the circle is now complete Obi-Wan.
My original point was in response to Liam, who was rather dismissive of other peoples opinions. So you can either rely on the opinion of highly respected users, or pay for the privileged of demoing, and in this case Beta testing the product. So it's pay to play, or go with opinions. There is no third option.
In my world 300 dollars is still real money, and if I found it missing from my checking account I would be pissed off. It would fill the gas tank in my Element 6 times, or be the equivalent of a grocery store trip. I know there have been a bunch of editors that said they didn't care because they would make that up on the next client through the door. Not really something I would brag about in these competitive times. And not what I'd call pocket change. YMMV

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]