FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do you think the next FCPX update will require Sierra?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Figgiani
Do you think the next FCPX update will require Sierra?
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:40:59 pm

I wonder what Apple is going to do in terms of OS support/requirements for the next version of FCPX ...

I'm running the current version of X on a legacy MacPro (5,1) under Yosemite. No issues. All the latest Adobe apps. run fine as well.

It may not be immediately obvious that the current version of iMovie (10.1.2) requires El Captain (10.11.2). It will not install/run on a Yosemite machine.

My MacPro is Sierra compatible. However, I'm not sure I'm ready to make the switch. I need to consider the stability of other apps. that I run, such as Pro Tools. Do you think it's safe to say that the next version of X will probably drop support for Yosemite, and at the very least require El Cap.?

-paul.

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
Re: Do you think the next FCPX update will require Sierra?
on Sep 10, 2016 at 8:01:35 am

Nope, that would be a nightmare for all Xsan users... Unless we soon will see migration tool on the horizon.

But eventually they will have to upgrade...

Helge Tjelta
Creative apps for the FCPX ecosystem.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 10, 2016 at 8:45:54 am

If it uses any Sierra-only tech (that you want/need), sure. Just as it's been until now. You just simply don't get the thing(s?) until you upgrade. I'd say it's HIGHLY unlikely they're going to force you to upgrade to a FEW DAY OLD OS just to use FCP. They're not stupid. They know full well that especially businesses are the slowest to make a jump like that, and those are definitely the ones they want on the latest and greatest first and foremost. Be it with caveats or not.

- RK

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Sep 10, 2016 at 2:25:14 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "If it uses any Sierra-only tech (that you want/need), sure. Just as it's been until now. You just simply don't get the thing(s?) until you upgrade. I'd say it's HIGHLY unlikely they're going to force you to upgrade to a FEW DAY OLD OS just to use FCP. They're not stupid. They know full well that especially businesses are the slowest to make a jump like that, and those are definitely the ones they want on the latest and greatest first and foremost. Be it with caveats or not.

- RK"

Yeah, makes sense. However up to this point El Cap. is current, and iMovie - which supposedly shares much of the same FCPX code base, is not backwards compatible. It will not run on Yosemite. My guess is the "imminent" X update will share the same OS requirement. If so I'll upgrade and hope for the best ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 10, 2016 at 2:28:01 pm

Just upgraded to Sierra and it's difficult to notice any difference at all!

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Sep 10, 2016 at 2:40:11 pm

[Steve Connor] "Just upgraded to Sierra and it's difficult to notice any difference at all!"

Cool. OTOH if they make Sierra a requirement, that's a different story. Considering iMovie's El Cap requirement, I'm guessing the new version of X will share the same OS requirement. Unless they have some major plans to merge their video apps., - it wouldn't make much sense to implement 2 different OS requirements. Of course I could be wrong ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Sep 11, 2016 at 12:05:31 am

If I were a betting man, and I am sometimes, I would say that given the timeframe between the NDA'ed exhibit on at NAB and this next badass update to FCPX that hasn't emerged yet, that yes an up grade to Sierra might be a requirement for the next version of FCPX. I'm maybe wrong on this but my gut feeling is that I'm not.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 13, 2016 at 11:58:26 am

you said that you own a 5,1 Mac Pro. That computer has 4 slots for SATA drives.
Buy a 1TB SATA drive for $50 bucks. Clone your existing OS X El Capitan drive to the new 1TB drive (use Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner, etc.). Boot up on your clone. Upgrade your clone to Sierra when it comes out. See what happens. If it does not work, you have your original boot drive. If it does work, but your other applications won't run on Sierra macOS 10.12, then keep both drives in the computer, and boot up which ever one you need.

Why would you risk losing functionality of your entire system, when you can simply create a clone boot drive, and try it.
Is 50 bucks too much ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Sep 11, 2016 at 7:50:50 am

It's... Possible?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Sep 13, 2016 at 8:59:21 pm

What is amazing that FCP 7 Legacy still works on EVERY OS update through Yosemite (haven't tried beyond that) -- wonder how long that will last?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 14, 2016 at 7:55:24 am

[Andy Field] "What is amazing that FCP 7 Legacy still works on EVERY OS update through Yosemite"

Through to Sierra, yes. Seeing how long Quicktime has been deprecated, I highly doubt it will go beyond that. It may even die with a Sierra update.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]