FORUMS: list search recent posts

So, about that Apple event....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
So, about that Apple event....
on Sep 8, 2016 at 7:21:13 pm

As far as I can tell, the only ACTUAL news that will affect anything about, really, anyone, anywhere, is the headphone jack, which, in the scheme of things is tiny compared to ditching floppies or optical drives.

In other words, pretty much zilch, even by the rapidly lowering expectations that Apple has been resetting year after year.

Did any of you find anything that wasn't actively dispiriting in it? I can't imagine what would make me an Apple customer ever again -- they've lost me for good -- but the tech world was more fun when it felt like Apple was playing to win. "Going through the motions" feels too generous.

Do I just need a blankie and a nap? Well, yes, but I'd love to get your impressions of this....thing. What the heck is happening?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: So, about that Apple event....
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:23:39 pm

I think a number of us are probably hoping that at least the FCP X/Motion update isn't quite such a damp squib ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:43:34 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I think a number of us are probably hoping that at least the FCP X/Motion update isn't quite such a damp squib ..."

Damp squib? You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I thought that "damp squib" was a festive traditional holiday treat in the UK. You know, like....

And actually, now I think about it, I'm sure that some of you are hoping that the next FCPX/Motion update isn't microwaveable spotted dick, either.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 8, 2016 at 8:58:46 pm

Spotted Dick is a pudding fit for kings, I'll have you know!

(Though maybe not from a can ...)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 9, 2016 at 3:16:32 pm

"It's the caviar of the South".

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 8, 2016 at 9:06:07 pm

Well..after the another year of no major hardware announcements (computers) for high end pro users...other than the iMac last October, I'm glad that I built my Hackintosh...for more reasons than one.

http://lfhd.net/2016/08/27/saga-of-the-amphibi-hack-part-1/
http://lfhd.net/2016/09/01/saga-of-the-amphibi-hack-part-2/

One reason being I have a really good, high end, professional level, inwardly-expandable machine that will last me a while...and the other reason being that I can also install Windows on this machine and start learning that OS going forward. Since the edit apps I use are cross platform.

Although not sure how far THAT will go, as Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be the last version of that OS they release, and all updates to that will only be bug fixes....and that moving forward Windows will be "a service." So really, not sure what to think...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

Thinking that Apple might still make their OS and still have desktops and laptops, but perhaps stop making a MacPro and consider the iMac the pro line. But i'm no soothsayer. Who would have thought they'd kill the headphone port? And give us really small earbuds that we have even more chances to lose...one at a time?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Misha Aranyshev
on Sep 8, 2016 at 10:58:29 pm

The curious thing is that Thunderbolt2 devices seems to work on Thunderbolt3 motherboard Hackintoshes via a TB3-to-TB2 adapters.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:49:27 pm

I have a Win 10TB3 Mobo and an adapter but it didn't work with my CFast card reader which is TB2. I think the adapters don't work with TB2 devices that need power via the TB cable. I'm hoping a powered hard drive works.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 8, 2016 at 11:53:57 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Sep 9, 2016 at 12:00:44 am

On topic, I have read nothing about the event but the lack of chatter leads me to think there was nothing for 'pros' whatever that means now days. I really don't need to be keeping an eye on Apple any more.

And after a couple of weeks teching a show in Edinburgh Fringe I can tell you that the humble mini headphone jack was the only reliable way to get backing tracks into a variety of stage mixers. Many acts used their phone to play backing tracks. I hope they knew how to turn their phones to Airplane mode to stop it ringing or giving txt notifications mid show.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 9, 2016 at 8:39:31 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Sep 9, 2016 at 8:42:59 pm

Oh for heaven's sake....

A) Apple includes a Lightening to 3.5mm adaptor with the new phones.
So you can still do exactly what you can do today.
No changes at all except you have to be bright enough not to lose the adaptor.

B) The new connector is highly water resistant - up to expelling water mechanically if the phone gets wet. So RELIABILITY of the unit is improved. Big WIN!

C) Did you notice what the new wireless Airbuds do?
Right now, they're initially marketed as a stereo listening device that like many iPhone earbuds also work for phone calls.

Now think differently...

With a tiny bit of imagination applied - hasn't Apple maybe just engineered something that could conceivably turn into a killer instant basic wireless audio and IFB system? Think about it. With the right App to drive the system, what's to stop someone creating a system where giving the talent a SINGLE AirPod - puts a monitor AND a mic on them which can connect to an iPhone taking the place of a wireless body pack - which could then Bluetooth into the directors system for monitoring?

No, it won't replace a $3000 body pack system and a sound cart for on-set audio - but don't you wonder how useful something like that might turn out to be?

The iPhone already has a WAY better than expected video capture capability. What if this is the first step to WAY better than expected on-board wireless audio as well?

Nothing I've just imagined is out of the realm of possibility and requires NOTHING more than two people with stock iPhones investing another $149 on the Airbuds.

We're supposed to be the CREATIVES around here.

That includes THINKING creatively doesn't it? And not just remaining stuck in always presuming things will always be the same as they've always been.

The market for audio for video and IFB may be too small for what I imagined above to ever happen - but the point is that the possibility is inherent in what Apple just released. The only difference is that you have to see a thing that's supposed to be for listening to tunes - and imagine what else it might be able to do.

That's the fun of the new evolving tech world, isn't it?

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:10:56 pm

[Bill Davis] "
A) Apple includes a Lightening to 3.5mm adaptor with the new phones.
So you can still do exactly what you can do today.
No changes at all except you have to be bright enough not to lose the adaptor.

Well having to carry around an adapter is not great and- as you note- I'm pretty likely to lose that thing. But more importantly it's now taking up the charging socket. I fall asleep every night with the phone charging and headphones in my ears. Have to buy another adaptor I guess and not lose that one too...

[Bill Davis] "
B) The new connector is highly water resistant - up to expelling water mechanically if the phone gets wet. So RELIABILITY of the unit is improved. Big WIN!

And yet they are still less water resistant than many android phones with the headphone jack.

[Bill Davis] "C) Did you notice what the new wireless Airbuds do?
Right now, they're initially marketed as a stereo listening device that like many iPhone earbuds also work for phone calls.
With a tiny bit of imagination applied - hasn't Apple maybe just engineered something that could conceivably turn into a killer instant basic wireless audio and IFB system? Think about it. With the right App to drive the system, what's to stop someone creating a system where giving the talent a SINGLE AirPod - puts a monitor AND a mic on them which can connect to an iPhone taking the place of a wireless body pack - which could then Bluetooth into the directors system for monitoring?"

I'm not following but I'm interested. Has Apple engineered anything new here? Isn't this just the same as the Samsung Gear nonsense or am I missing something key that Apples done?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:16:45 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "I'm not following but I'm interested. Has Apple engineered anything new here? Isn't this just the same as the Samsung Gear nonsense or am I missing something key that Apples done?"

Your asking the wrong guy. Bill has no idea what other companies are doing - he wouldn't know an android from a meteoroid. With Bill it's all Apple all the time, and if they haven't built it then it might as well not exist.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 10, 2016 at 8:48:14 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 10, 2016 at 8:50:11 am

[Dominic Deacon] "I fall asleep every night with the phone charging and headphones in my ears. Have to buy another adaptor I guess and not lose that one too..."

Or you could just get (one of many) what's been around for years?
http://apple.co/2ciGvxm

[Dominic Deacon] "less water resistant than many android phones with the headphone jack."

Do tell. Which phone that you'd actually want to carry around in public, fit in your pocket and use all day has a higher rating than IP67? And exactly what do you intend on doing with YOUR PHONE that you need it (completely unusable) under more than 1m of water?? Never mind that the iPhone 6 and 6S already offer that without being officially rated, let alone that if it were rated higher, then you couldn't possibly have anywhere near the same quality audio over its stereo speakers, aside from having to make the phone even more expensive. Things that are in fact more relevant to 99.999% of owners/buyers rather than the 0.001% that are just trying to impress their friends at the pub without practical rhyme nor reason. Ergo: red herring if I've ever heard one. Unusable and ultra-fugly... but hey, I can drop it in my beer!

And then there's this: http://bit.ly/2cML7B6 That's what IP67+ will get you.

[Dominic Deacon] "Isn't this just the same as the Samsung Gear nonsense or am I missing something key that Apples done?"

I'll let you know when I get them. But regardless of quality, the CASE by itself is most definitely a first as well as the far superior ease of use, way of connecting AND automatic switching of source on the fly. What has Samsung done in that respect? I sure don't know of anything.

- RK

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Sep 10, 2016 at 10:17:31 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Or you could just get (one of many) what's been around for years?"

Yeah isn't that what I said? Have to buy a new adapter. Another US $40. I wouldn't mind the expense if there was a point to it.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Do tell. Which phone that you'd actually want to carry around in public, fit in your pocket and use all day has a higher rating than IP67?"

It's direct competitor the Samsung 7 has an IP68 rating. I don't really care about the level of waterproofness but Bill seemed to be saying that Iphone need to ditch the audio out so it could be waterproof but Samsung has it and is more waterproof.

[Robin S. Kurz] "What has Samsung done in that respect? I sure don't know of anything."

No idea. Don't use 'em. I'm not here to fly the flag for Samsung. I use HTC myself and feel no loyalty to them either. Bill was just putting forward that this was new tech that would lead to professional applications while to me it looks like Apple has just invented a Bluetooth headset. Haven't they?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 11, 2016 at 10:05:03 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "Bill seemed to be saying that Iphone need to ditch the audio out so it could be waterproof but Samsung has it and is more waterproof."

Just to be clear, I doubt that there's a "more waterproof metric" out there - since that's kinda oxymoronic.

Apple only claims water resistant. What is interesting to me is that instead of trying to seal everything totally - like I can with a waterproof external case right now (I bought a pair for my wife and I for our recent Hawaii Trip cuz rain and general beach time) Apple engineered a way to actively expel water from the connection if it gets compromised. That's interesting thinking. Those waterproof housings were a bit meh - I do think the switch to a single lightening connector ala the new MacBook is a way to keep things thin and simple. I bought one of those for my wife, and I have to say it's a lot of capability for something so light and thin. Plus I'm eyeing it for my voice recording work, because it's completely fanless - which means it makes no sound at all when you're working with an open mic.

Sometimes the new thinking improves things in ways that might not be totally obvious - that's all. : )

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 12, 2016 at 1:35:03 pm

[Bill Davis] "Just to be clear, I doubt that there's a "more waterproof metric" out there - since that's kinda oxymoronic.
"

There actually IS a metric, and people have been talking about it in the posts above yours.

I know that not everyone here is nerdistically inclined, so I'll provide some background. The metric is called Ingress Protection Marking*, published by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).

*Ironically for a standard, the name isn't exactly standard. Some folks refer to it as International Protection Marking. Either way, the rating is listed in the unit "IP."

In various contexts, it might represent the extent to which fingers could fit in electrical sockets (ie, such and such a device is probably fine unless you TRY to stick your finger in it, vs. you can't stick your finger in it even if you try) , or dust make its way into an enclosure (rating for size of particles allowed, amount, etc), and a variety of other measures of things might tend to intrude where they shouldn't when it comes to electric devices and interfaces.

In the case of water intrusion, the iPhone rates IP67, which is 3.3 feet for half an hour. Samsung phones are IP68, which is five feet for half an hour.

Big deal? No. Neither phone is rated for swimming. They're so that if you drop it in a (hopefully clean) toilet, you won't need to buy a new one. (Assuming again that the toilet was clean.)

But it is another, scientifically valid, Apple-published data point to illustrate Apple arriving with a feature 2 years late, and not only NOT set a new benchmark, but choose not to meet the current one.

My larger points are two-fold, that, a) YES, there IS a metric , it has a name, and Apple has chosen to fall short of parity, and b) this "showing up late AND short of the standard" is a NEW pattern for Apple. Well, new-ish.

I'll acknowledge again that even though I ONLY use my phone with 3.5mm-attached headphones, I'm 100% onboard with getting rid of that jack. Progress happens. Connections go away. If this is what forward momentum looks like, carry on lads! Get rid of more stuff!

Howeverrrrrr.....let's say that every industry using a 3.5mm jack drops it and flocks to this new thing: recent history makes me wonder if Apple will even bother to keep up with the standard as it evolves. See: Thunderbolt 3.

Anyway, the International Electrotechnical Commission is on the case, I assure you, documenting the extent to which you can stick your fingers in stuff, and how long your phone will survive in a toilet of specified depth.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 12, 2016 at 2:37:07 pm

Sadly the livestream didn't include the "one more thing" video

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 12, 2016 at 9:00:32 pm

Hi Tim!

I was just having fun with the "waterproof" tag. That's all.
All the ratings you note relating to water resistance and failure mode testing are fascinating. Since they all include the fact that at some point or pressure, the water wins - it appears that none of them seem to be "waterproof" in a common colloquial sense.
That the iPhone 7 coming soon is nearly as water proof as an Android was two years ago, seems to me to be about as interesting as the fact that Premiere Pro gained a robust Proxy workflow 5 years after X. To the editor working NOW - they each have a better experience. Win/win. And that's the actual advancement.
That said, I appreciate what I learned from your post. So thanks.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 13, 2016 at 7:10:58 pm

[Bill Davis] "it appears that none of them seem to be "waterproof" in a common colloquial sense."

Quite so!!! NONE of them (Sammy included) use the word waterproof AT ALL. Also, none of them mention 30 minutes. It's all about dunking or spills, and in the scheme of things, that's all I need. Save me from dropping it in the toilet, man.

Well, and this, which I do every night before Sabbath falls because I don't know about you, but I think this counts as work.

[Bill Davis] "at some point or pressure, the water wins"

LOL Words to live by, my friend. Words to live by.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 13, 2016 at 8:14:14 pm

[Tim Wilson] "
[Bill Davis] "it appears that none of them seem to be "waterproof" in a common colloquial sense."

LOL - I've been resisting the urge to post the Lil' Wayne videos all weekend!

[Tim Wilson] "Quite so!!! NONE of them (Sammy included) use the word waterproof AT ALL. Also, none of them mention 30 minutes. It's all about dunking or spills, and in the scheme of things, that's all I need. Save me from dropping it in the toilet, man."

Kim Komando submerged an s7 for 2.5 hours to see what would happen about 6 months ago. There are a ton of videos like this on YouTube, some of them even dunking an iPhone 6 to see how it compared... pretty interesting stuff.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 14, 2016 at 8:04:59 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 14, 2016 at 10:09:44 am

[Tim Wilson] "Also, none of them mention 30 minutes."

Right. I just made that part up. As I always do I guess.

http://www.samsung.com/au/pdf/IP68.pdf

But then I'm still trying to figure out how any of this even remotely qualifies as a "Final Cut Pro X Debate"… but oh well. Not my sandbox.

[Tim Wilson] "Well, and this,…"

He's gotta do something to keep it from exploding.
[scnr]

- RK

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 12, 2016 at 11:05:50 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Howeverrrrrr.....let's say that every industry using a 3.5mm jack drops it and flocks to this new thing: recent history makes me wonder if Apple will even bother to keep up with the standard as it evolves. See: Thunderbolt 3. "

In that vein... No one should be surprised that Apple wasn't the first smartphone maker to remove the 3.5mm jack nor should anyone be surprised that the other phone makers went with the USB Type C port.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 12, 2016 at 11:09:33 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 12, 2016 at 11:15:01 am

[Dominic Deacon] "… if there was a point to it."

*double-take* I'm sorry?

[Dominic Deacon] "… it's now taking up the charging socket. I fall asleep every night with the phone charging and headphones in my ears."

That being your point, but oh well. And never mind that I said "one of many". There are endless other ones out there that are cheaper.

[Dominic Deacon] "It's direct competitor the Samsung 7 has an IP68 rating."

Dare I ask if you know what that actually means? IP67 means (in terms of liquids) "Immersion up to 1m". IP68 stands for "Immersion beyond 1m". Sounds great, huh? Because when I see IP68 I actually think "up to 10m, maybe even 50m", which, at least from my personal experience, is about average for equipment that the manufacturer actually went to the trouble of getting whatever it is IP68 rated.

What does Samsung in fact say? "… they’re water resistant to a maximum depth of 1.5m" Wow. A full 50cm more. Okay. I guess you got me there.

Apple doesn't have a time limit on that immersion depth by the way. Samsung does, FWIW.

[Dominic Deacon] "No idea. Don't use 'em. I'm not here to fly the flag for Samsung."

Then I think you need to note when any and all of your questions are purely rhetorical. There's always Google, too.

- RK

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Sep 12, 2016 at 9:59:43 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Dare I ask if you know what that actually means? IP67 means (in terms of liquids) "Immersion up to 1m". IP68 stands for "Immersion beyond 1m". Sounds great, huh?"

You're the one who invoked the IP ratings to start with and said to point out which competitor had a higher rating. I did. But to reiterate: I don't care about waterproofing. I was just pointing out that Bill saying the jack needed to be removed for waterproofing was not true. Point made and not really debatable.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Then I think you need to note when any and all of your questions are purely rhetorical."

No. Again, it was in response to Bill's claim that Apple's earbuds were new technology that would have revolutionary new applications. I don't care about ear buds. I was just pointing out that these are just bluetooth headsets and it's hard to see a new application that hasn't been around for a long time.

[Robin S. Kurz] "[Dominic Deacon] "… if there was a point to it."

*double-take* I'm sorry?

[Dominic Deacon] "… it's now taking up the charging socket. I fall asleep every night with the phone charging and headphones in my ears."

That being your point, but oh well. And never mind that I said "one of many". There are endless other ones out there that are cheaper."

This is getting very obtuse... When I said there's no point to it I was referring to Apple removing the jack for no reason and forcing that sort of purchase on people.

And with that I'm very definitely out on this one.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:15:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "That includes THINKING creatively doesn't it? And not just remaining stuck in always presuming things will always be the same as they've always been.

thanks Bill. Your SHOUTED responses have completely convinced me that Apple are doing this just for the betterment of all of us. All us audio pros know that taking the worlds worse audio interface (mini jack) and hanging it on the end of an adapter cable will increase its robustness for live work. And that changing semi standards is never about selling new headphones or adapter cables.

Embracing change for its own sake and not when change actually makes improvement is perverse. I have been at the bleeding edge of tech change for thirty two years since I pioneered digital audio field & post recording for film & TV production so spare me the lectures. Big plus to Apple for adding extra wireless to their phones. Dropping the jack however was not necessary unless you want to squeeze out other vendors.

Have a look at what Blackmagic and Fairlight are about to do. Keep an open mind that change can come from companies other than Apple.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:02:46 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Big plus to Apple for adding extra wireless to their phones. Dropping the jack however was not necessary unless you want to squeeze out other vendors."

I'm with you for the most part, but I'm not convinced they did it to squeeze out other vendors... Other vendors can now make and sell lightning cans etc to more people than they could day before yesterday. And, at risk of being incorrectly labeled an "apologist", maybe they just did it to get rid of the last bit of analog HW in the phone. I use mini plugs all the time too and it's gonna be a PITA to change some stuff.

[Michael Gissing] "Have a look at what Blackmagic and Fairlight are about to do."

Try to kill ProTools? ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:09:45 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Try to kill ProTools? ;-)"

Nah. I doubt Blackmagic really care about ProTools. They have such market penetration they are too big a target. I see this move as Blackmagic making sure Resolve becomes the most powerful total ecosystem with a complete toolset. I think you will find the jewel for Blackmagic is the software and hardware that Fairlight has. I know most of the Fairlight team and they have some of the best people in AV and FPGA hardware.

Fairlight has never been about becoming the ProTools killer. I think the focus will be on being the best, not the most popular. If being the best made you the most popular then Fairlight would have already killed ProTools.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:22:41 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Fairlight has never been about becoming the ProTools killer. I think the focus will be on being the best, not the most popular. If being the best made you the most popular then Fairlight would have already killed ProTools."

Agree... I'm kinda surprised Fairlight isn't more pervasive in post audio. Cost probably... and the fact that you had to at one point pay extra to be able to open AAF's?

~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:30:35 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:31:28 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I'm kinda surprised Fairlight isn't more pervasive in post audio. Cost probably... and the fact that you had to at one point pay extra to be able to open AAF's?"

AAF is a classic example of why I hate proprietary standard over open standards. The audio industry came up with the ideal audio transfer standard. AES31. Never heard of it? No because AVID flexed their muscle and came up with AAF which compared to AES31 offers nothing but shifting standards and the same sort of gamesmanship that plagued OMF in the early days. Plus license fees - money for old rope.

The cost of AAF on the Fairlight is a problem that Fairlight are acutely aware of. I won't pay their license fee although I happily license many other options. I can convert an AAF to an AES31 which is what I do with conversion software by AAT. This software is a great tool box for a variety of conversions including fcpxml directly so it has so many advantages for a quarter of the price.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:35:18 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:37:27 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I can convert an AAF to an AES31 which is what I do with conversion software by AAT. This software is a great tool box for a variety of conversions including fcpxml directly so it has so many advantages for a quarter of the price."

I've been looking at AATranslator for ages, and considered just getting a cheapo PC to run it. And the second I *really* need it I will. :-) Anyone run it in WINE? allegedly it works...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:38:36 pm

Not tried it in WINE although I have Linux on my office laptop. Fairlights run on Win7 so I just run it on that machine.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 10, 2016 at 12:29:01 am

I'm absolutely sure it convinced me the same way your starting your post with a declaration of your personal ignorance of the entire subject upon which you were commenting was convincing to me...to paraphrase your own post:

"I didn't see the presentation, nor have a clue what was shown or discussed - but I'm sure it's terrible and Apple hates all of us."

That was the tenor of your post.

I mildly derided it because I felt it was worthy of mild derision.

Plus in your own post you seem to sing the praises of the 3.5mm stereo plug as the sin que non of modern audio interfaces. Wtf??? When did valuing ubiquity over dependability become a thing?

Then again, maybe I'm old fashion. Know where I can pick up a nice 64 point patch bay with all 3.5mm stereo connectors? I don't want to get behind the times, you know.

Mind boggling.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 10, 2016 at 12:34:21 am

[Bill Davis] ""I didn't see the presentation, nor have a clue what was shown or discussed - but I'm sure it's terrible and Apple hates all of us."

That was the tenor of your post.

Only in your head Bill.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 10, 2016 at 12:56:25 am

[Bill Davis] "Ignorance is purported to be bliss. So in this matter, you must be happy now."

As the resident expert I bow to your superior experience in this.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 10, 2016 at 8:39:31 am

[Michael Gissing] "… changing semi standards is never about selling new headphones or adapter cables. […] Embracing change for its own sake and not when change actually makes improvement is perverse."

Right. That's ALL it is. No question. Nailed it. Pure brilliance.

"We’re trying to make great products for people, and we have at least the courage of our convictions to say we don’t think this is part of what makes a great product, we’re going to leave it out. Some people are going to not like that, they’re going to call us names […] but we’re going to take the heat [and] instead focus our energy on these technologies which we think are in their ascendancy and we think are going to be the right technologies for customers. And you know what? They’re paying us to make those choices. […] If we succeed, they’ll buy them, and if we don’t, they won’t, and it’ll all work itself out."
- Steve Jobs (on Flash, but applies 100%)

“We do understand that this might be a difficult transition for some people who love their wired headphones,” says [Phil] Schiller. “But the transition is inevitable. You’ve got to do it at some point. Sooner or later the headphone jack is going away. There are just too many reasons aligned against it sticking around any longer. There’s a little bit of pain in every transition, but we can’t let that stop us from making it. If we did, we’d never make any progress at all. The question we ask ourselves when making transitions like these is, have we done all the right things to mitigate it and to explain it and to make what’s on the other side so good that everyone is happy with the change? We think we’ve done that.”

Choosing to do what you know will be unpopular in the short run but you believe will prove correct in the long run takes courage. Courage of one’s convictions, not running-into-a-burning-building-to-save-a-life courage, but courage nonetheless.

You disagree? Guess what? You're not actually required to like, let alone BUY anything. Crazy, huh? No one actually cares. :-))))

And guess what I've been getting into my phone for over a year now thanks to the Lightning port? 96kHz 24bit audio from my lav. Care to show me that with any other phone or port? What was that about "actually makes improvement"? The audio connector is more than 100 years old. It had its last big innovation (i.e. "actual improvement") about 50 years ago. You know what that was? They made it smaller. Hoo... ray... It hasn’t been touched since then. It’s a dinosaur. No clue how anyone could defend its existence given the vastly superior alternatives.

Unless of course the name APPLE shows up somewhere…

I couldn't be happier that they finally got rid of that ancient nonsense. Yeah, I'm SO incredibly bummed that I won't have to fish my corded earbuds out of my bag anymore, that have worked themselves into what looks like a bad hair-day. Damn. All that for the sake of faster adoption rate of wireless headphones? Bah humbug!

I'll give you ONE guess at what the next Samsung phone will have i.e. NOT have. Will you be back here ranting over that then (without actually having even seen anything) as well? Of course not.

- RK

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Sep 10, 2016 at 6:51:53 pm

Hmm. Maybe that was why my 3.5 mm plug broke off in my iPhone 4, turning it into an ipod only, in spite of a superglue fishing expedition. Still recharging headphones would be a pain. Left my Apple Watch behind going to Asia because it has to be so frequently recharged. Maybe Apple could and some solar cells like my Citizen Watch that runs for years.

Apple does seem to be not revolutionary and maybe not evolutionary with the departure of Steve Jobs. May be headed for the junk heap like Sony in the 90's.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:03:04 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:16:16 pm

[Robin Kurz] "You disagree? Guess what? You're not actually required to like, let alone BUY anything. Crazy, huh? No one actually cares. :-))))"

So angry Robin. You seem to take umbrage at anyone with a different point of view. Just as well I don't care. Not sure why you do??

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 12, 2016 at 11:02:22 am

[Michael Gissing] "So angry Robin."

LOL… you interpretation of the (obviously!) "angry", nay, furious emoticon in my post, that you were even clever enough to leave in the quote, is truly brilliant. :-D (<— look, I'm crying!)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 9, 2016 at 12:04:04 am

[Shane Ross] "Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be the last version of that OS they release, and all updates to that will only be bug fixes....and that moving forward Windows will be "a service." So really, not sure what to think..."

The thing that The Verge missed (unusual for them -- they're frequently the ONLY ones who understand what's what) is that Apple did this a loooong time ago, and they too did it with number 10.

Quick! How many years for OS X?

Answer: Fif. Teen. Years. Fifteen! It was introduced in 2001. In fact, I had actually started on an article for the COW in 2011, called "X Years of OS X", but you know what? I couldn't care enough to finish it. LOL Not because I didn't care about Apple (I was still a customer then), but because really, truly, NOBODY cared. Look around the web. I defy you to find that ANYBODY wrote about this at the time.

And 2011 feels like a lot longer than five years ago. Hell, this time in 2011, we were only a couple of months into FCPX. LOL Seems like muuuuuuch longer than five years ago.

My point being that you can't buy the Mac OS anymore. It's just there. When there's a new version to download, you download it. The only reason there's a name for it (Sierra is a good name for once) is because some hardware won't run it and such, there are some outlying compatibility issues, but really, you don't NEED to know the name of your computer OS any more than you need to know the name of the OS of your smart TV, your Kindle, or your car. What's that you say, there's a software or firmware update? Sure, why not.

Microsoft is just in the uncomfortable position of having hundreds of millions of customers who demand accountability, transparency, and long-term road maps. LOL Apple doesn't know anything about that. Apple customers don't care enough to have made it a priority either, so this conversation LOOKS alien, when really, it's not at all. Apple just never bothered to HAVE that conversation, because really, talking to customers about plans is just so...so.....Microsoft. Gross.

Don't forget: Steve Jobs explicitly, publicly, and repeatedly blamed the stupidity of everybody else's products on the fact that those other companies care what customers think. Always a mistake, he said. Always. And he wasn't being facetious. Try to argue against that with actual business case studies. You can't.

Conversely, the most communicative, accountable, transparent company? Find me somebody who does better than Microsoft. You can't. And how much does it make you love them? More than zero?

btw, Windows 10 as a thing: support goes through 2025. SEE? HOW HARD IS THAT? IT'S NOT HARD. lol

But caring what customers think is always a mistake, so Apple's never going to make the mistake of speaking this sort of thing aloud.

Anyway, I'm with you 100%. Whatever else Apple has been trying to teach its customers, its that Apple can only be trusted to look after its own interests. It's been working for Apple, it's been working for most of its customers most of the time, but anybody who needs to COUNT on Apple should do what you're doing, and simply make plans without them.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 9, 2016 at 1:23:57 am

I was hoping for some announcement regarding a Final Cut Pro update. All that I see is new iPhone, like whatever. Apple is about as transparent as politicians in my opinion. LOL

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:59:48 am

[Tim Wilson] "NOBODY cared. Look around the web. I defy you to find that ANYBODY wrote about this at the time."

Hmmm...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2469078/windows-pcs/ten-years-old-toda...
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/05/mac-os-x-revisited/
http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/macworld-feature-ten-years-m...
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/03/the_next_ten_years_of_mac_os_x
etc. etc. etc.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:55:23 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Hmmm..."

Robin Robin Robin, what sweet relief you bring me. LOL

This has been a long, painful month (months, actually, hence me disappearing again), but here my day began: barely awake, looking at my phone to check the forum with one, half-opened eye, discovering that I'm wrong and thoroughly corrected before my day even begins. You make me feel loved and beautiful. LOL Things are coming back to normal, and maybe it will all be okay again soon.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 9, 2016 at 3:40:01 pm

[Tim Wilson] "My point being that you can't buy the Mac OS anymore. It's just there. When there's a new version to download, you download it. The only reason there's a name for it (Sierra is a good name for once) is because some hardware won't run it and such, there are some outlying compatibility issues, but really, you don't NEED to know the name of your computer OS any more than you need to know the name of the OS of your smart TV, your Kindle, or your car. What's that you say, there's a software or firmware update? Sure, why not. "

It's funny you mention this as I started a now deleted post about how I used to know every driver number, every firmware version on my machine, every codec and wrapper, nearly every model. Now, it's impossible. It's getting to the point if something doesn't remind me to update, I won't update it and I'll languish behind until something breaks and doesn't work. "Everything is a remix" should start a new series called "Everything is a platform, let's all jump together and get it over with already."

I read your IBC article about lenses and cameras. When I got to the Red section, I no idea what any of the new code names were. I wasn't sure if they were sensors, bodies, accessories, or what. I don't know what a VV is and especially don't know what a DSMC2TM might be.

I did like hearing about all the neat lenses though. A Panchro reboot sounds pretty cool.

Apple's stage presence hasn't been all that great lately. I don't fault them for it. Things just aren't as fun and new and shiny and inspiring. The devices are as sophisticated as ever, but perhaps sophistication is passé? Maybe the staged event is passé? What could Apple possibly invent that has changed the world as much as the iPhone did? In truth, the reason why I upgrade a phone is for the new camera, and Apple seems to understand me as there was quite a bit of time spent on it. And now there's a RAW API available for the iPhone which is kinda cool if you're in to that sort of thing.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2016 at 12:27:16 pm

[Shane Ross] " I'm glad that I built my Hackintosh...for more reasons than one."

In the article you state that you are using the Hack mostly for Avid and Resolve - so why use OSX at all? It's a lot easier to build your own PC.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 9, 2016 at 5:06:13 pm

[Herb Sevush] "In the article you state that you are using the Hack mostly for Avid and Resolve - so why use OSX at all? It's a lot easier to build your own PC."

1. I've been using Mac's my whole computing life, starting in 1990. I even did tech support for Apple for a year. It's the OS I know inside and out. I prefer it to Windows. Windows is more prone to bugs and viruses...requires more attention.
2. Many of my helper apps are Mac only...such as EditReady. And I still get footage from some camera people where they didn't keep the full card structure, or modified it, or shot with a new, unsupported camera.
3. PRORES SUPPORT. This is a biggie. Many of my deliverables for networks require ProRes QT files. And a few clients want round trips from Resolve to FCX (and even FCP 7). I cannot do that with a PC. (I mention this early in the blog).
4. I can install Windows on another drive and learn more about it, if I care to.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:06:19 pm

[Shane Ross] "1. I've been using Mac's my whole computing life, starting in 1990. I even did tech support for Apple for a year. It's the OS I know inside and out. I prefer it to Windows. Windows is more prone to bugs and viruses...requires more attention."

I've been bi-computeral my whole life so I have no issue with editing in either environment.

[Shane Ross] "3. PRORES SUPPORT. This is a biggie. Many of my deliverables for networks require ProRes QT files. And a few clients want round trips from Resolve to FCX (and even FCP 7). I cannot do that with a PC. (I mention this early in the blog)."

We're in the same boat, this is the main reason I'm still editing on a Mac. ProRes - can't live without it. It's also the reason I read your article about the Hackintosh - it is an option that I'm actively considering because at the moment there is nothing that Apple is offering that really suits my needs.

[Shane Ross] "4. I can install Windows on another drive and learn more about it, if I care to."

Do the Bios changes you made for the Hack effect the way Windows would run?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:49:44 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Do the Bios changes you made for the Hack effect the way Windows would run?"

THAT is a very good question. I'll ask my geek buddies.

[Herb Sevush] "We're in the same boat, this is the main reason I'm still editing on a Mac. ProRes - can't live without it. "

Tried convincing a network to take DNxHD Quicktimes, saying they were just as good. But they declined, saying ProRes is the base for them, and if I gave them Dnx there'd be that gamma shift issue.

I was THIS CLOSE to getting either an iMac or HP...but then found the motherboard I needed to make it all work. Saved me thousands.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:55:42 pm

[Shane Ross] "Tried convincing a network to take DNxHD Quicktimes, saying they were just as good. But they declined, saying ProRes is the base for them, and if I gave them Dnx there'd be that gamma shift issue."

Everything I do is for PBS and I've had enough fights with them over white levels, loudness specs, hiding names on products, etc. It was a major relief when they started taking files instead of tape and as long as they want ProRes I have no interest in convincing them otherwise -- too many other fires to put out.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 9, 2016 at 9:04:53 pm

[Herb Sevush] "It's a lot easier to build your own PC."

You may want to take the study time to keep your "system integrator" hat well-brushed these days - I sure don't.

I personally take comfort that if someone ever hits me over the head and steals my carry-on bag at an Airport heading to a gig - A brief stop at the Apple Store and a couple of hours of decent WiFi access will get me up and running again as if nothing ever happened.

Nowadays I see human effort as the ONLY difficult to replace thing in a good production chain.

ALL the "gear optimization crap" I used to obsess about I will gleefully consign to the dust bin of history.

Others mileage will most certainly vary.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2016 at 9:57:36 pm
Last Edited By Herb Sevush on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:07:54 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Herb Sevush] "It's a lot easier to build your own PC."

You may want to take the study time to keep your "system integrator" hat well-brushed these days - I sure don't."

Bill, you do realize that the context of my statement was that it's easier to build a PC than a Hackintosh.

I personally have no interest in building either. Like you I think my time is my most precious commodity and, what with the Yanks making a late season run, I have precious little of that to spare. I might be interested in having someone else build me a Hackintosh, but that's only because Apple doesn't want to take my money.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jason Watson
on Sep 9, 2016 at 2:12:26 pm

I watched about 10 minutes of it or so and then, overcome by a crushing onset of ennui, opted to watch a rerun of The Office that I've seen 6 or 7 times, and it was even one of the kind of meh episodes form the final season. I went back and tried to watch some more of it (the Apple event, that is, as I actually made it through the bland Office episode) on the camera section, but I just couldn't care enough to get through it. Maybe that's just me.

One thing that I just can't get past any more is just how plodding and patronizing the presenters are, trying (and not often succeeding) to use slow and deliberate (and usually halting) sentences to inject a sense of mystery or profundity into what usually amounts to a yearly update. The hyperbolic use of "gorgeous" and "magical" (and now "courage") has also worn pretty thin, IMO, especially when features that make it into the presentations (and the website) are new watch bands and big emojis for messages. Yeah, why wouldn't I drop $700+ for such amazing tech!

(I was going to use an emoji here, but only a large one would suffice, so maybe they're on to something...)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 9, 2016 at 2:15:21 pm

I still like the products, but the keynotes are just snorefests now

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 9, 2016 at 4:30:32 pm

You do understand that this event was about phones, watches and iOS right? What potential features of these 3 things would have won you over? Something like this?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:52:29 pm

[Charlie Austin] "What potential features of these 3 things would have won you over? Something like this?"

You know I love you Charlie, but that's always been a straw man that Apple hides behind. Keeping the headphone jack ain't a punchcard reader...although as I noted, I don't think losing the headphone jack is all that big a deal, even though I use it constantly for both listening and phoning.

I'm a fan of going all-in on disruption, though (see also: FCPX launch and Creative Cloud), so if they think digital is the future, I'm GLAD they're not trying to hold on to the jack that's currently my primary interface with my phone. GO FOR IT, fellas. That's what Apple is SUPPOSED to do.

Even though Apple's events are now device centered, I still remember the days not that long ago when the devices weren't years behind the curve. Water resistance? Well, two years late is better than never. I'm just happier when they're swinging for the fences. They're barely even squaring up to bunt anymore.

I've written here many times about how I think that cars are Apple's destiny, with the potential to change the world more, and for more better, than all of their previous devices combined, but now I think, wow, do they even care about changing the world any more?

To answer your rhetorical question with another one, what it would it even look like for Apple to Think Different anymore? What would it look like for Apple to surprise us again?

There's not a single category where they weren't MANY years late. Spotify since 2006, watches widespread worldwide four years before Apple came in, etc. Unlike iPod and iPad, it's also been a while since they came in late but still managed to immediately reset industry agendas and customer expectations.

I do wonder why people keep expecting major "old school" computer announcements or general pro focus. Those days are long gone. I'm okay with that. Disrupt away, Timmy! I'm just having a hard time imagining them catching all the way up anymore, much less leading the way.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 9, 2016 at 7:26:55 pm

[Tim Wilson] "You know I love you Charlie, but that's always been a straw man that Apple hides behind. Keeping the headphone jack ain't a punchcard reader...although as I noted, I don't think losing the headphone jack is all that big a deal, even though I use it constantly for both listening and phoning. "

:-) I actually saw that pic while I was typing the reply... it's not really directed at your comment, I just thought it was funny.

[Tim Wilson] "To answer your rhetorical question with another one, what it would it even look like for Apple to Think Different anymore? What would it look like for Apple to surprise us again?"

I dunno, though I really don't know what they could do with a phone right now that would be as innovative as the original, or the iPod. Maybe when they get a cell chip into the watch and it replaces your phone (using AirPods®) that'll do it? What's the Next Big Thing we haven't thought of? Maybe they've thought of it. It's Apple, so if they have we won't know until they tell the world.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I paid 99 bucks to get access to the OS betas, and am really digging the way macOS and iOS and WatchOS and tvOS are evolving to all work together pretty seamlessly. If you're in the Apple camp, it's very very cool. Things like your watch unlocking your desktop when you get near it, very futuristic. :-)

Maybe people would be surprised if the next version of FCP X has been taking so long because they're cramming it full of features that pro's have been clamoring for? Maybe if you can edit on your watch people will be delighted? Or maybe there actually is a new and crazily improved Mac Pro? Maybe there's a Watch Pro? lol Guess we'll see right?

I feel about Apple vs other HW/OS vendors like I do about X vs. other NLE's. I've used the others and I like it more. I'm not a kool aide drinker, I honestly like the way all their stuff looks, feels, and functions. YMM will V ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 10, 2016 at 1:40:47 pm

[Tim Wilson] "To answer your rhetorical question with another one, what it would it even look like for Apple to Think Different anymore? What would it look like for Apple to surprise us again?"

I wonder, and I was alluding to this in the last post, if you miss Steve Jobs. I know, it's a well worn meme at this point, but I wonder if Tim Cook's 'Think Friendlier' campaign isn't as compelling for us battle tested cynics? Steve Jobs had some edge, you knew he was probably a pretty smart guy because he kinda told you so, Tim Cook is much the opposite and the press preys on this friendly attitude and says that Apple is somehow falling behind itself. But is that true or does it just feel true?

I will admit, I find the watch to be really boring. So. Boring. I'm so glad the $17,000 golder than gold watch fell off the face of the earth.

That aside, how many other giant tech consumer tech compaines get up on stage and talk about what you can do with a depth map that is created from the dual camera system? How many people even know what that is?

There is a ton of sophistication packed in to that phone, but Apple isn't selling that, except for the manufacturing process of the new shiny black case. I feel like Phil Schiller was taking straight to developers while trying to educate consumers on depth of field. Instead of coming right out and explaining the technology in more detail, they glossed over it with a definition of bokeh. In fact, Schiller was the last edgy presentation that Apple has done. About the new MacPro he said, "Can't innovate anymore? My ass.". If Apple spoke like that all time, I believe it would certainly help to create a more fun atmosphere?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 13, 2016 at 2:20:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I wonder, and I was alluding to this in the last post, if you miss Steve Jobs. I know, it's a well worn meme at this point, but I wonder if Tim Cook's 'Think Friendlier' campaign isn't as compelling for us battle tested cynics? Steve Jobs had some edge, you knew he was probably a pretty smart guy because he kinda told you so, Tim Cook is much the opposite and the press preys on this friendly attitude and says that Apple is somehow falling behind itself. But is that true or does it just feel true?"

You raise a number of very interesting issues that I've been thinking a lot about this week.

I wish he wasn't dead, but no, I don't miss Steve at all.

By way of disclosure, I've written elsewhere that he was something of a family friend. I never met him, but my father worked closely with him from 1979-1985, as Apple's first director of sales and distribution. I think I mentioned upthread that he invented the Apple store, but he was responsible for lots of other key stuff. He was sitting next to Steve when Steve got ambushed at the famous board meeting where a new org chart got posted without Steve on it.

I got him to write a few words about Steve for the COW here. Also, my brother-in-law was a direct report to Steve for the first few years after Steve's return (you can thank my boy for the Mac going from six slots to three), and my mother thought of Steve like a son. She loved him dearly, and spoke of him often.

Me, none of the above. LOL

I wrote here regularly while he was alive that he should have been smart enough to step aside, or the board bold enough to make him. I said that Tim Cook would make a better CEO, and I think he has.

I don't think that "friendlier Tim Cook" is trivial. My favorite data point is that during the rash of Foxcon suicides, Steve sent Tim to China during the putting up of nets up to catch the men who were jumping. Tim went back to China after Steve passed to see what Apple and Foxcon could do together to make people working for them not want to kill themselves. Guess what? Nobody has since then. The nets are down.

THAT'S HUGE.

I could go on at length about how strongly I feel about Tim C's accomplishments in reforming the gleefully cruel, gleefully criminal regime of the "visionary" that preceded him, while also managing to double sales and triple profit in his first couple of years on the job. It's a better company.

So I (obviously) think that the whole "Steve = Everything Good About Apple/ Everything Not Good About Apple = Not Steve" meme is nonsense. After all, Steve was the guy who realized, correctly, that the one thing Apple was never very good at was selling Macs. Mac never achieved even half the market share of Apple II, and up until iTunes was released for Windows so that iPods could become truly universal in 2004, Apple's stock had spent a year mired in the single digits. People had been talking about Apple on the brink of tanking since the mid-90s, and Steve had yet to turn the crank on a turnaround.

Until he did, by shifting Apple's emphasis away from computers in the biggest way possible short of stopping making them altogether.

The current state seems a compromise. Make 'em, but instead of updating every year-ish, update every, what? You tell me. I don't what it's been since the trashcan shipped. Announced in June 2013, so maybe 36 months since shipping, give or take? And certainly not like plenty of folks around here aren't preferring a computer that's even older.

This flies in the face of everything we'd ever thought about computers and innovation, or even general progress. Nobody predicted that even a few years ago.

(I say until Robin finds 8 links to correct me.)

Anyway, I'm remembering Steve recruiting John Sculley away from Pepsi with the pitch, paraphrasing, "Do you want to keep selling sugared water, or do you want to change the world?"

You know what? In the real world, where ambition and aggression lead to criminality, and disregard for the value of human lives and livelihoods, there's a lot to be said for not aspiring to change the world. It's okay to settle for making cool stuff, just cool, nothing more, and being a little happier, spreading a little less cruelty and misery.

I don't THINK it's an either/or, but we don't really have any way of knowing that yet. Who has managed to be nice, ethical, AND revolutionary at the same time? Maybe Bill Gates came close? Maybe? I dunno. Steve never tried to be in the ballpark of balancing all three, and while Tim Cook is obviously nice and ethical, I don't know how highly he prioritizes revolution. If he does, I don't think his score is all that high.

I'm following a baseball metaphor here, so there's no clock, and it's not implausible that Apple is only a couple of swings of the bat from taking the lead again. Or is it? What's the recent historical data that suggests they even want to be?

In the scheme of things, this has all pretty well established that we can go about our business without as much new stuff as we'd gotten in the habit of buying. We didn't really really get off the hamster wheel until Apple blew it up, but that's actually a pretty big contribution right there.

I still also have to believe that, even being nice and ethical, you can do better than new ear/music interfaces and almost-but-not-quite-industry-standard water resistance as your top-line stories at your biggest annual device event.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2016 at 9:00:14 pm

[Tim Wilson] "You know what? In the real world, where ambition and aggression lead to criminality, and disregard for the value of human lives and livelihoods, there's a lot to be said for not aspiring to change the world. It's okay to settle for making cool stuff, just cool, nothing more, and being a little happier, spreading a little less cruelty and misery. "

Well said.

But the aggressiveness, in all aspects of Apple, has all but disappeared by a new ethos, and a therefore a new design. I agree, it's nice to be friendlier, and I agree that being more kind to the people and the planet is one of Apple's biggest accomplishments. Criminality, on the other hand, is a grey area, there's a lot of Apple money in banks somewhere and Foxconn has a lot more clients than Apple, but I will leave the politics out of this discussion.

I know you said that Apple has lead in the past. Have they? They weren't the first mp3 player, the first smart phone, the first device integrator, but they are one of the best, at least in my view, and with each new system release the integration and services are even better. And now that I can extend the ease of use to my family with minimal extra cost, and total ease of use, where we can share our digital lives privately and personally with each other and chosen friends and family. To me, that is one Apple's biggest strengths, and their devices, while perhaps not "first" or even the most specced, or fastest, or most cutting edge, but still top notch, makes all of that easy, from old Macs, iPhones and iPads to new ones. The entire Apple system is what you're buying, not a PC with a faster polygon smasher, for a phone with twice the pixels.

But Apple does not sell this capability. They do not sell their device connections, they do not sell their own virtual social network, they do not sell how easy it is to connect all of your devices. They sell their manufacturing process, they sell their camera development, they sell their health tracking ability, they sell music and video, and they sell third party development.

[Tim Wilson] "I still also have to believe that, even being nice and ethical, you can do better than new ear/music interfaces and almost-but-not-quite-industry-standard water resistance as your top-line stories at your biggest annual device event."

Maybe, but I imagine it would take a major product, like a car, or a house, or a skyscraper, or a piece of public policy that will actually change people's daily lives. They aren't ready for all of that yet, and perhaps the world isn't ready for all of that yet. In the meantime, there's a lot happening INSIDE the phone with all kinds of services and capability that is really easy to use, much easier than Android, IMHO.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 14, 2016 at 1:35:30 am

I think the biggest change is the disappearance of the RDF. Whether talking to co-workers or customers, Jobs could convince people that up was down, left was right, and that iPads are 'magical'. He was the prefect blend of neo-hippy, ruthless capitalist, and P.T. Barnum.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 14, 2016 at 2:29:13 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Sep 14, 2016 at 11:07:48 pm

The RDF is now within Apple convincing themselves they need $17,000 watches.

I can't let it go.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 9, 2016 at 7:12:05 pm

[Charlie Austin] "What potential features of these 3 things would have won you over?"

I would go for the radio, the sub woofer, and the headphone jack - and it would be nice if it were waterproof instead of just water resistant.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Sep 9, 2016 at 9:41:23 pm

If Apple has lost you as a customer why do you care?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:51:45 pm

[Brian Seegmiller} " If Apple has lost you as a customer why do you care?"

I have always been OS and hardware agnostic. For me it is about software and workflow. As someone who has abandoned Apple (well they sort of abandoned me) I am always keeping an eye and open mind on any of the software or hardware they produce. I don't like where they have set the tiller over the past six years but to say they have permanently lost any of us as potential customers would be to ignore how utterly pragmatic many of us are.

Unlike some rusted on users who have become apologists for some of the Apple decisions, many of us prefer to keep watch and selectively utilise what they produce when it is of benefit and try to keep the others honest by questioning some Apple decisions.

Are we wary of Apple? Justifiably so. Do we care what Apple does? It would be stupid not to.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:16:23 pm

[Brian Seegmiller] "If Apple has lost you as a customer why do you care?"

Because I was a 100% die hard, full-time, death to everyone else Apple partisan from 1979 to 2003. Not only before some of you were born, but a span about as long as some of you have been alive.

Along the way, I ran Mac user groups. I served on boards. I taught classes in Apple stores.

My father invented the Apple store, btw, back in 1984. When he first pitched the idea of selling Apple logo gear, they thought he was nuts. The only thing they'd allow him to try was socks. Can you imagine? Socks and socks only. But he did it.

Anyway, it was a long transition out. I was dual platform starting in 2002, had a few years where I felt there were ADVANTAGES to both....then felt, wow, advantages are cancelling each other out, but I've come to a point at which I PREFER exactly nothing about Macs.

I still used iPhones and iPad (iPod always struck me as pathetic), even after I stopped Macs...but by maybe 2011, I came to the end of the road.

So that's just over THIRTY TWO YEARS of paying Apple hundreds, if not thousands of dollars EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Have that kind of brand loyalty to anything for 32 years yet?

I still want Apple to blow my mind every time they step up the mic. I want them to shake the pillars of heaven. They used to make the entire industry better -- every industry they touched -- and now, they just don't. I wish they would.

But also, I love the game. I LOVE IT. I love tech, I love music, I love cameras, I love every kind of device. I haven't edited professionally since 2000, but I STARTED editing in 1978, and I'm always going to love it with all my heart. I'm always going to think of myself as an editor.

Apple's in all those games. How could I NOT care about Apple's every move?

As a result, though, I care about everyone else's moves. I want to know about tech I don't use because it's fun. How'm I gonna find the next great thing if I don't know all the things?

It's like, I also like knowing about TV shows I don't watch too. I read reviews of movies I know I won't go see. I know what story trends are moving through the world. I know the grosses. I have (I think) a pretty clear picture of the moving pieces, and have at least an eye on the pulse of where storytelling is going. It's FUN.

Going in another direction -- I do what I can to avoid sports metaphors, but the fact is that I know almost as much about the Yankees roster as I do the Red Sox roster BECAUSE I hate the Yankees almost as much as I love the Red Sox. LOL My contempt for the Yankees is more fulfilling because I know how weak their farm system is. LOL

But I don't hate Apple. I certainly never EVER expected them to care about me as much as I cared about them. That way madness lies.

But as long as Apple is in any game I care about, I'm going to pay close attention, and I'm going to have an informed opinion about them. It's FUN.

It'd be more fun if Apple was too, though.

Return to posts index

Thomas Mathai
on Sep 10, 2016 at 11:09:28 am

Every tech site was talking about September being an iPhone 7 event. The rumor sites have already pointed to a possible October event, where presumably new Macs and MacOS will launch.

I'm interested in the iPhone 7 Plus because of the potential augmented and virtual reality possiblities.

For the past few years, Apple bought a few interesting companies:
PrimeSense, which made the original Kinect for Microsoft Xbox, which is a depth sensing camera.
Metaio, an AR app developer.
Faceshift, a facial motion capture company. Their software was used to drive some of the puppet animatronics in the latest Star Wars movie.
Flyby Media, which provided image-recognition software for Google's Project Tango.

I bought a Tango dev kit last year. It's a platform Google is developing for AR, 3d mapping and indoor navigation.

The 7 Plus dual lens camera system looks like it could be the beginnings of a depth sensor that could be very useful for AR apps like Pokemon Go. Apple even teased an upcoming app that can change focus on photos after the fact. I'm also interested in the fact it can shoot RAW in Adobe DNG.

As the camera system gets better, I can see it being used for 3D scanning and motion and gesture capture, since Kinect has already been hacked for those tasks. When this system hits the iPad Pro, I'll be even more interested.

I'm also interested in the AirPods. They have a wifi chip, accelerometers for motion and voice control, and IR sensors. I bet some developers could use those for head tracking for future VR applications.

As far as the Mac. I think Apple isn't abandoning the "Pro", but thinks the "Pro" is more middle of the road, than high end.

I personally work in a mixed OS environment. It's not easy to manage at times, but I feel I'm not beholden to one side or other.

While I always thought about setting up a hackintosh, I don't have the knowledge or friends with the knowledge to deal with the troubleshooting. Also isn't it kinda illegal based on the EULA?

I can relate to the need for dealing with ProRes. If Telestream is going to the cloud with Episode Encoder, maybe that could be an option. Maybe even cost effective.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Sep 11, 2016 at 10:32:26 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Do I just need a blankie and a nap? Well, yes, but I'd love to get your impressions of this....thing. What the heck is happening?"

Simple. Steve Jobs is not alive anymore.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Sep 13, 2016 at 1:26:11 am

Courage, Tim. Courage.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2016 at 1:55:20 am

[Chris Harlan] "Courage, Tim. Courage.
"

The first wireless accessory is a wire: http://www.cnet.com/news/spigen-airpod-strap-is-a-10-leash-for-your-airpods...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 13, 2016 at 2:10:42 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Courage, Tim. Courage."

Haha! Awesome!

In mentioning my dismay with Apple, I didn't talk at ALL about how happy I am using non-Apple stuff. I see no value in pissing on Apple's stuff -- and I'm not actually pissing on Apple at all -- but I never stopped using their stuff out of dismay. They never broke my workflow or discontinued something irreplaceable. I just found cooler stuff that made me far happier.

So I LOVE my tech life. I'm thrilled, using stuff that has made me the happiest in my many years as a device-o-phile...although I'm aware as I pass Steve's final age that it's also not that many f-ing years AT ALL.

But I still imagine a world where Apple raises everyone else's game, even when they show up late. It's not a fantasy. As of today, though, it is in fact history.

Next year? All I'm gonna say is that everybody who predicts Apple's future is wrong most of the time, so I'll just let 'er ride.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 16, 2016 at 6:31:44 pm

Since among the 2 million bits of nonsense I've raised so far include ear-device interfaces and Apple's formerly awesome advertising, I thought I'd throw in this bit from our friend Rob Ashe at Conan:

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 16, 2016 at 8:23:07 pm

Funny AND true! I wouldn't dream of using them without one of the third party safety straps that will appear soon!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 16, 2016 at 8:29:17 pm

Air Pods. Made for Air Heads.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 16, 2016 at 9:25:15 pm

Live stream of the waterproofiness of the iPhone 7.

Nearly 5.5 hours and going strong at the time of this post:

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 17, 2016 at 9:18:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Nearly 5.5 hours"

Ends at 7.5… even with it charging under water. Now that's chutzpah! :-D

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 17, 2016 at 1:19:02 pm

And it didn't end because the phone was water logged, it ended because they couldn't stream more than 8 hours. The phone survived and they stopped the test.

iPhone: 1
Water: 0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]