FORUMS: list search recent posts

backing up noobie question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Thomson
backing up noobie question
on Sep 6, 2016 at 4:24:43 am

Hey all,
So....this is probably a noob question but I am having some weird issues with archiving Libraries.

After a month, post delivery, I tend to archive my Libraries online (using google drive) which for some reason doesn't like the fcpx library format.

No worries I thought, I will just 'unpack' the library and back that up, which is fine.
Then it gets weird....when I try and open the library back into my fcpx environment I can't find which file is the right one to click on?! every file (including fcp ones) is greyed out?

so what is the file to click on to open a library back into fcpx after the library has been 'unpacked' does that make any sense?
sorry and thanks!!!! :)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: backing up noobie question
on Sep 6, 2016 at 8:45:00 am

[Ian Thomson] " I will just 'unpack' the library and back that up"

I for one have no clue what that means, but it sounds VERY wrong. Ever thought to simply ZIP the library before upload??!

- RK

Return to posts index

Ian Thomson
on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:09:13 am

Sorry-poor description,
I am 'right clicking & showing package contents'
suppose I could try Zipping the Library, as simple as 'compressing it' yeah?
Cheers

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:16:14 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:27:03 am

[Ian Thomson] "I am 'right clicking & showing package contents'"

I'm sorry… you're doing what?? Are you saying that you are merely uploading the CONTENTS of the library?? (O_o)

No, you can't just open some random single file from within the library, you open THE LIBRARY and FCP does the rest. That's the whole point of it being a package.

[Ian Thomson] "as simple as 'compressing it' yeah?"

Yeah.

But I suspect that google is simply stripping the bundle of its suffix, which changes it into just an ordinary folder (which is also what any and everyone sees if they don't have FCP X installed). Simply add ".fcpbundle" to it… done.

- RK

Return to posts index

Ian Thomson
on Sep 6, 2016 at 9:33:15 am

You were right...google was indeed stripping the prefix,
that seems to work now I have added it

Thanks so much, really appreciate the tip & fix

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 6, 2016 at 12:46:42 pm

I would like to piggy back on this topic.

I am currently finishing a doc and have had to deal with numerous supplied drives by the client.

Due to the workflow and my schedule I couldnt find the time to clean anything up.

Resources are all over the place and so far its been quite the mess.

Using the Duplicate option into a new drive seemed to help.

However Apple decided to place everything in one level sub-folders deleting the actual root it was residing in.

I know this is probably too much to ask for but cant it bring in the resources folder name as well?

You can make changes in that folder after since its in the package.

I tried and everything got confused.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 6, 2016 at 1:19:01 pm

[Eric Santiago] "However Apple decided to place everything in one level sub-folders deleting the actual root it was residing in."

Apple i.e. FCP doesn't delete anything. Either you import from an existing location, leave the media in place and the folder structure is maintained. OR you import and copy to the library, in which case yes, obviously, everything is in one directory, the "Original Media" folder. Not sure where the confusion lies. It's pretty simple, no?

- RK

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 6, 2016 at 1:29:30 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Apple i.e. FCP doesn't delete anything. Either you import from an existing location, leave the media in place and the folder structure is maintained"

No it doesn't delete anything when you copy it seems to place all the clips into a new sub-folder e.g. Original, etc...
And it also removed the Keyword.
I will send screen shots later.
Its no sweat to me just wanted to see how others are dealing with certain aspects of backing up their projects.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 6, 2016 at 1:34:46 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 6, 2016 at 1:37:37 pm

Wait… are you talking about in FCP? Or in the Finder? You need to be a tad more precise. Because now it sounds like you're talking about in FCP. In which case, yes, if all you do is drag a project or clips to a new library i.e. event, then no folder structures are maintained. How could they be? They're not tied to the media, but to the event. If you want the folders, drag the folders.

And sorry, but FCP does not delete keywords either when moving from library to library. Those ARE in fact tied to the media (inside FCP). If you're seeing something else, then something is wrong.

- RK

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 6, 2016 at 1:48:11 pm

As I post here I am referring to FCPX.

Again just the Duplicate Project + Used Clips Only is the option I am referring too.

With that option I lose all the Sub-folders used as Keywords in the newly created Event.

As well as resource clips all copied to one big Original Media folder with no sub-folders from original position.

Reason I brought it up was that the originator had all the clips in sub-folders.

Like I said Im okay with this just wanted to hear from the group as to how they deal with copying projects from one drive o another.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 6, 2016 at 7:06:42 pm

Yes you lose all your finder related folders and X puts it all in one folder. But you do not lose your keywords. They're still right there in your project. You can have X create keywords based on import folders, but that doesn't have anything to do with the keywords once they're in X. For example if you changed a keyword, or added 3 more keywords to a file it doesn't start creating folders on the hard drive.

Don't forget to consolidate all the media after you've copied to a new library. Otherwise you'll just have a bunch of aliases.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]