FORUMS: list search recent posts

Waiting for Apple again. And again. And again ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Waiting for Apple again. And again. And again ...
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:01:02 pm

Need to put together another editing station by first week in October. Just for the convenience of Thunderbolt I'm thinking about going nMpro. But who wants to buy a 3 year old machine when Apple is supposedly upgrading the line in the fall. But are they really, and if so, when? Of course this is a perfect Tao moment -

"He who speaks, does not know.
He who knows, does not speak."

Now I'm all for ancient Chinese philosophy, but I really need to know the ifs and whens of this before spending my 6K. Oh, what's a mother to do?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Waiting for Apple again. And again. And again ...
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:04:41 pm

I think the next Apple Event is September 7? It might only be iPhone related, though.

Still, you could wait until then, unless everything is out of stock?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:27:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I think the next Apple Event is September 7? It might only be iPhone related, though...Still, you could wait until then,"

I'm happy to wait till September 20th - I'm just hoping I know what's up by then.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:35:33 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I'm just hoping I know what's up by then.
"

An impossible mission.

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:40:59 pm

Rumor mill seems to suggest that new macs will not be at the September 7th event, but quite possibly in October...conveniently just outside your window.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:43:34 pm

Herb, where are you planning to buy from?

Perhaps ask what the return date is.

If you bought Sept 20th, when could you return it if a new one if released Sept21?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:50:52 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Perhaps ask what the return date is."

Good idea, thanks.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:48:15 pm

[nick ring] "new macs will not be at the September 7th event, but quite possibly in October...conveniently just outside your window"

I believe it's called Karma. Which leads me to ask myself just how big a pr**k was I in my previous life.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:38:17 pm

[Herb Sevush] " Just for the convenience of Thunderbolt I'm thinking about going nMpro."

I've been looking more seriously at the HP Z workstations. You can get Thunderbolt 2.0 on those if that's your concern:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/z840.html

I'm in a similar predicament with needing to replace machines, but all the rumors seem to point updated MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and/or iMacs. The trash can is nearly 3 years old now, which is ridiculous for a major tech company like Apple, IMHO.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:50:09 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "I've been looking more seriously at the HP Z workstations."

All my deliverables are ProRes and even though there are some third party apps that work in PC's, I don't believe in messing around with deliverables. If it weren't for that I would have been off the Mac band wagon years ago.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 31, 2016 at 4:58:40 pm

[Herb Sevush] "All my deliverables are ProRes and even though there are some third party apps that work in PC's, I don't believe in messing around with deliverables. If it weren't for that I would have been off the Mac band wagon years ago."

Assimilate SCRATCH? It's the real deal, an officially-licensed Apple ProRes encoder on Windows. We've been using it for our ProRes deliverables.

It is an extra step -- I still haven't gotten into its automation features -- but I get to use hardware (and an OS) that I like.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 31, 2016 at 5:04:01 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Assimilate SCRATCH? It's the real deal, an officially-licensed Apple ProRes encoder on Windows. We've been using it for our ProRes deliverables."

So when I'm in Ppro and go to export media will ProRes come up as a listed codec? And when I send it to my clients will their Macs be able to read my hard drives? If the answer is yes, I'll strongly consider switching over.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 31, 2016 at 5:13:28 pm

[Herb Sevush] "So when I'm in Ppro and go to export media will ProRes come up as a listed codec? And when I send it to my clients will their Macs be able to read my hard drives? If the answer is yes, I'll strongly consider switching over.
"

No. You'd have render from Premiere Pro in some other format (maybe Uncompressed), then transcode to ProRes in SCRATCH as a separate step. We use MacDrive on our PCs to deal with Mac hard drives, and Tuxera NTFS on our Macs to deal with PC hard drives.

Another only-slightly-crazy option is a separate iMac or Mac Mini on your network, running Adobe Media Encoder and a watch folder.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 31, 2016 at 5:44:16 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Another only-slightly-crazy option is a separate iMac or Mac Mini on your network, running Adobe Media Encoder and a watch folder."

In which case I'm transcoding with a mac mini and wasting my Nvidia 1080 and Xeons.

[Walter Soyka] "We use MacDrive on our PCs to deal with Mac hard drives"

Does Mac Drive write as well as read? I thought it was read only.

I'm not being difficult, I'm actually considering going PC as an option. I'm also considering buying another 2010 MacPro tower and upgrading it and living without Thunderbolt. Time will tell.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 31, 2016 at 5:53:31 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Does Mac Drive write as well as read? I thought it was read only."

Read and write. Once place I work at has a Promax server for shared storage, which is Windows based, but they use Mac formatted drives with it all the time (all of the other computers are Macs).

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:07:57 pm

[Herb Sevush] "In which case I'm transcoding with a mac mini and wasting my Nvidia 1080 and Xeons."

Rendering is hard. Transcoding is easy (and for ProRes, CPU-only anyway). Your beefy PC would still be doing the heavy lifting. The downside, of course, is the two-step dance required to get to a ProRes deliverable.

[Herb Sevush] "Does Mac Drive write as well as read? I thought it was read only."

Yes. With MacDrive on our PCs and Tuxera NTFS on our Macs, I never have to think about where a hard drive came from, I can just plug it in and use it, completely transparently.

[Herb Sevush] "I'm not being difficult, I'm actually considering going PC as an option. I'm also considering buying another 2010 MacPro tower and upgrading it and living without Thunderbolt. Time will tell."

Sure. And I'm not being pushy, just trying to explain your options and what we've considered. There are pros and cons.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:17:02 pm

[Walter Soyka] "There are pros and cons."

The one thing that is consistent is my bad timing. The last time I needed to configure a new system was -- spring of 2013. 3 months too soon for the first nMPro. Now it's 3 years later and I'm waiting on Apple again. I don't sweat it when it comes to peripherals like GFX cards or monitors, but it is irksome when it comes to buying the heavy metal. Oh well, at least I'm not buying a house.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:24:06 pm

[Herb Sevush] "The one thing that is consistent is my bad timing."

You and me both, Herb. In 2013 I got tired of waiting for the nMP's to actually ship so I bought a 2009 MP as a 'stop gap' that I figured I'd have for a year or two and then I'd pick up a V2 nMP. Jokes on me. Or not as what I've spent on the '09 MP plus upgrades is still way less than what I would've spent on a nMP.

[Herb Sevush] "Oh well, at least I'm not buying a house."

At least with houses you have more options and even though their are ebbs and flows you know more inventory is always incoming.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:37:46 pm

Why not buy a used nMP from eBay?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 31, 2016 at 7:36:24 pm

[Steve Connor] "Why not buy a used nMP from eBay?"

I didn't buy a nMP off eBay in the past because the price difference wasn't that much (Apple still was having issues getting them out the door in quantity) and because I figured at least a spec bump was coming from Apple (which would bump down the V1 prices). Now I don't want to buy from eBay because the prices are still higher than what I want to spend for tech from 2012/2013.

If new MBP's come out (even if they only have Sky lake chips and not Kaby Lake) I might pick one of those up because my 2011 MBP is showing it's age (even though the RAM is maxed out and it has an SSD in it).

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 31, 2016 at 11:12:19 pm

I have the same dilemma... and it always seems to come down to ProRes which sucks because DNxHD is the same and cross platform. Funny thing is no end user/broadcaster actually uses high end Pro Res files - they end up transcoding to LT or .MXF.

You can build a 8 core 3.2Ghz i7 PC with Thunderbolt 3, 64GB DDR4 RAM, GTX1080, M.2 drive etc etc etc for under 3 grand - way less than half an 8 core nMP and way faster (add another $700 for a 10 core 3Ghz!)! I'm thinking of waiting too but then I thought, even if Apple gives us some updated tech they're still going to be way over-priced.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 31, 2016 at 11:51:59 pm

There was a ton of comparison when the tune came out, and dollar for dollar, it was not overpriced. If you built an equivalent technology PC, you'd spend right around the same money. If you out specced the tube, you'd spend more money.

Now, of course, that has changed becuase tech has advanced, and the tube hasn't kept up.

So, I imagine if Apple came out with a more current tech computer, the price to performance would be equivalent to a similar PC.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:06:18 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "There was a ton of comparison when the tune came out, and dollar for dollar, it was not overpriced. If you built an equivalent technology PC, you'd spend right around the same money. If you out specced the tube, you'd spend more money. "

Yeah, feature for feature newly launched Macs are typically the same price as a PC, that parity does fade over time as the Mac's features and price stays the same while the PCs get faster and cheaper.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 1, 2016 at 8:02:28 pm

The comparisons were mostly against other Xeon based workstations from HP, Dell etc and yes the Mac Pro was very competitive at the time of release.

But now we 6, 8 and 10 core i7's which are much faster and cheaper than the Xeon's of yesteryear. Not to mention DDR4, Thunderbolt 3, USB 3,1 etc. So for 3 grandish you can build a workstation that would bury the fastest current Mac Pro for less than half the price. Any upcoming refresh or all new Mac Pro will still probably be competitive against Dell and HP workstations but have little to no performance advantage over an i7 box.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2016 at 8:15:06 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "But now we 6, 8 and 10 core i7's which are much faster and cheaper than the Xeon's of yesteryear. Not to mention DDR4, Thunderbolt 3, USB 3,1 etc. So for 3 grandish you can build a workstation that would bury the fastest current Mac Pro for less than half the price."

And not run FCX at all. Because they can't run the Mac OS...because the Mac OS doesn't support Thunderbolt 3. This is what I was getting at when I built my Hack. It cost $1600 and buries the iMac, and buries the MacPro in terms of GPU, the CPU, no. But yes, if I got a non-TB3 board I could make a workstation that smokes the MacPro readily. Only it will have to run Windows...and thus, no FCX love.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 1, 2016 at 8:34:23 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "But now we 6, 8 and 10 core i7's which are much faster and cheaper than the Xeon's of yesteryear."

I think others might disagree. :-)

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Intel-CPUs-Xeon-E5-vs-Core-i7-63...

Shawn

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 1, 2016 at 10:32:22 pm

That's an old article and states: "Clock-per-clock, Core i7-5XXX and Xeon E5 v3 CPUs have identical performance"

My point was the newer 8 core i7 for instance, runs at 3.2Ghz and runs $999 - the older Xeon they tested was a 3.0Ghz model that would run you about $1299 on Amazon today. Of course if money is no object you can build a screaming dual Xeon system but I was just talking about a new i7 machine vs. a current Mac Pro - nothing else.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 1, 2016 at 11:39:15 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "That's an old article and states: "Clock-per-clock, Core i7-5XXX and Xeon E5 v3 CPUs have identical performance"

My point was the newer 8 core i7 for instance, runs at 3.2Ghz and runs $999 - the older Xeon they tested was a 3.0Ghz model that would run you about $1299 on Amazon today. Of course if money is no object you can build a screaming dual Xeon system but I was just talking about a new i7 machine vs. a current Mac Pro - nothing else."

Fair enough.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2016 at 8:37:37 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "But now we 6, 8 and 10 core i7's which are much faster and cheaper than the Xeon's of yesteryear."

Unless Apple goes back to multiprocessor CPUs it may actually make sense to use the higher end i7's in any new Mac Pros. This would also mean they can use Intel Quick Sync for encoding. This is why a recent Quad i7 iMac may encode faster than a Xeon Mac Pro. Even when they came out in late 2013 (early 2014 actually) people noted the i7 advantage when encoding.

Is there a reason for Apple to stick with Xeons?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 1, 2016 at 9:01:50 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Is there a reason for Apple to stick with Xeons?"

If they want to keep 3D and VFX artists on their platform, then they should absolutely go back to building dual CPU machines. I know a few folks who would go back to Apple in a heartbeat, if they could get the hardware they wanted with OSX.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 1, 2016 at 8:57:49 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Any upcoming refresh or all new Mac Pro will still probably be competitive against Dell and HP workstations but have little to no performance advantage over an i7 box."

This has been an argument that's circulated for a while. There is no "iMac Pro" level of computer, and never really has been, and I feel Apple is leaving money on the table here. Certainly, with all that Intel has going on with the i7s, the tech seems ripe.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 1, 2016 at 10:05:01 pm

I do think an 8 or 10 core iMac Pro would be fantastic if they can keep the price under 4 grand,

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Santiago Martí
on Aug 31, 2016 at 8:32:35 pm

Hi! I have my big desktop PC and a fullw loaded macbook pro 15" retina. I use mainly Ppro. I also have a razer blade 14". Everytime I use the MacBook it feels so slow, but some Apps I use on set are only OSX. It is a good time to switch to PC with thunderbolt 3, the Nvidia 1080, with Vr and HDR around the corner.
For Prores I use the last Miraizon codec, it works flawlessly and fast as any codec, and it is implemented as any other codec.

Hope it helps.

Santiago Martí
http://www.robotrojo.com.ar
Red Epic Dragon, Sony FS7, Sony a7S, Red Pro Primes, Adobe CC, Assimilate Scratch

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 1, 2016 at 2:02:25 pm

[Santiago Martí] "For Prores I use the last Miraizon codec, it works flawlessly and fast as any codec, and it is implemented as any other codec."

I went to the Miraizon website and it seems they are no longer selling their codecs.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 1, 2016 at 2:23:04 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I went to the Miraizon website and it seems they are no longer selling their codecs."

They disappeared in a strange puff of smoke a year or two ago. Miraizon wasn't a ProRes licensee, so perhaps this wouldn't have met your "don't mess around with deliverables" mandate even if they were still for sale.

I've had some issues with them anyway, though it could be related to the non-standard raster formats we produce for.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:34:11 pm

It seems like making a ProRes file would be the least of concerns when switching to an all Windows environment.

You could use the oldest of Mac computers to make a Prores file from whatever NLE you export from.

Transcoding masters, in the grand scheme of an edit, takes a relatively short amount of time. And with the death of Episode and the birth of Telestream Cloud, perhaps making a ProRes master will all be easier in the cloud.

https://cloud.telestream.net

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:00:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It seems like making a ProRes file would be the least of concerns when switching to an all Windows environment. "

It's actually been the biggest pain I've had. Everything else has been pretty easy.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:15:10 pm

[Walter Soyka] "It's actually been the biggest pain I've had. Everything else has been pretty easy."

But you, my friend, are much smarter than I, therefore your easiness upstages mine.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:59:00 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It seems like making a ProRes file would be the least of concerns when switching to an all Windows environment."

Actually it's not. I am ambi-computeris - I currently have a mix of PC and Mac and have no problems switching between them. Since I'm editing with Ppro my only reasons to go Mac with a new edit station (I'm still keeping my first Mac Station going) is file compatibility between the 2 stations and ProRes deliverables. If MacDrive will handle the first, then it's strictly ProRes deliverables that will cause me to stay Mac if there are no nMP updates in the next few weeks.

Yes I could export uncompressed on the PC, then transfer over to the Mac and compress to Prores - but I get very nervous about deliverables and I don't want to extend my process a single step when it comes to handing over finished files.

It's possible I could change my mind when the time comes to plop down my money, I just wish I had better options.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:23:45 pm

Our server is windows based and I don't like touching it. It's much harder to use and maintain, and luckily I don't have to do much with it as its a server and usually just needs to be on. Also, I am simply not interested and blissfully/ignorantly happy with our tubes and TB2. With fcpx, we blast through multilayeres of 4K and effects and text in real or near real time. We are good for now, even on "three year old" hardware.

[Herb Sevush] "but I get very nervous about deliverables and I don't want to extend my process a single step when it comes to handing over finished files.
"

Perhaps Telestream (or someone) will make a "panel" then you could have Cloud Prores right from Pr.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2016 at 6:08:01 am

Do what I did...make a Hackintosh. This one is like a top of the line iMac, but with better GPU. AND....only $1600....

http://lfhd.net/2016/08/27/saga-of-the-amphibi-hack-part-1/

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:52:06 pm

[Shane Ross] "Do what I did...make a Hackintosh. This one is like a top of the line iMac, but with better GPU. AND....only $1600...."

Going by your Twitter updates this was a PITA to get up and running. Not exactly reassuring. ;)

My biggest worry with a Hack is that run-of-the-mill software updates will break it and I'll constant be playing a game of cat and mouse to keep it running correctly.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:22:55 pm

Here is that post you are talking about.

http://lfhd.net/2016/09/01/saga-of-the-amphibi-hack-part-2/

it was a PITA because a part was faulty. If that part wasn't faulty, it would have been pretty easy. I've done this before. But yeah, DETECTING which part is faulty is tricky...thus why it's good to have geeky friends.

No run-of-the-mill software breaks it...unless that software requires a more current OS, like 10.10 or 10.11. The machine I have is running 10.9.5, and getting it to 10.10 will be tricky. THAT is the big drawback to this...you can't simply update the OS and move on. You need to wait for green lights and then someone to hack it just right.

I'll keep updating as I use it..

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:30:06 pm

[Shane Ross] " The machine I have is running 10.9.5, and getting it to 10.10 will be tricky."

That rules a Hack for me then as I have some software that requires 10.10 or 10.11

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:37:31 pm

There are many options for 10.10 and 10.11. My older motherboard is the thing holding me back. It was the only one out there with Thunderbolt 2. Newer boards either don't have Thunderbolt at all, or have Thunderbolt 3, which isn't compatible with the MacOS yet. Apple falling behind tech it introduced...yeah, they are committed to professionals, it's obvious! No MacPro update in 3 years, discontinuing support of QT for Windows...not caring about pro features in FCX, relying on others to fill the gaps.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 1, 2016 at 4:52:53 pm

[Shane Ross] "There are many options for 10.10 and 10.1"

Sweet.

[Shane Ross] "It was the only one out there with Thunderbolt 2. "

I see...

[Shane Ross] "Newer boards either don't have Thunderbolt at all, or have Thunderbolt 3, which isn't compatible with the MacOS yet. "

Well that's a problem...

;)

So, today, my options are 10.9 w/ThB or 10.10/10.11 w/o ThB? Since I need both 10.11 *and* ThB I'll have to wait for Apple to release an OS that supports ThB 3 and then wait for someone to hack it and generate a list of 'safe' parts to use to build the Hack?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:02:06 pm

[Andrew Kimery] " Since I need both 10.11 *and* ThB I'll have to wait for Apple to release an OS that supports ThB 3 and then wait for someone to hack it and generate a list of 'safe' parts to use to build the Hack?"

YUP! that's the price you pay when you want to save a couple thousand dollars...and actually get a real computer that can be expandable. Stupid trash can...looks cool, but can cause a mess with cables and cost more by needing to buy external hardware to boost it's usefulness...that, and it's very old.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 1, 2016 at 5:15:54 pm

[Shane Ross] "that, and it's very old."

It's the very old part that is a deal breaker for me.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 2, 2016 at 12:10:10 am

[Ryan Holmes] "I've been looking more seriously at the HP Z workstations. You can get Thunderbolt 2.0 on those if that's your concern:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/workstations/z840.html"

And to throw a little marketing hype on the pile:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/mac-to-z.html

Also their Z1 all-in-one workstations are very solid. Here's a review I did on one about 2 years ago:
https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/hp-z1-g2-workstation/

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Aug 31, 2016 at 6:37:04 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Need to put together another editing station by first week in October. Just for the convenience of Thunderbolt I'm thinking about going nMpro. But who wants to buy a 3 year old machine when Apple is supposedly upgrading the line in the fall."

I have 64 terabytes of Thunderbolt RAID on my 2015 iMac 27, split between a couple of RAID-5 boxes and three RAID-0 boxes. It works OK but I'm not sure the iMac is a better choice at this point. If you are doing any 4k and especially if using Premiere you really need all the CPU and GPU horsepower available. Even a three-year-old nMP if properly configured delivers more of that than a top-spec new iMac.

There's a good chance the iMac update will probably have a significantly improved GPU due to the new 14nm products from AMD. The nMP refresh (assuming that happens) will probably be an even greater jump because it's been three years.

OTOH if you are on Premiere and intend to stay there, a Windows machine might be a better option. You have a lot more configuration and upgrade options and can get a higher-performance machine for a given price.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation. I suppose you could just get any of these options then plan to resell it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 31, 2016 at 7:26:17 pm

You can always check the tea leaves over at:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 4, 2016 at 3:02:36 pm

Well,
the new Hackintosh are based on the Z170-boards. tony updated the buyers guide a few month ago.

there is a very interesting one: Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH with 2 x thunderbolt 3 on board, which are fully working, but don´t expect hot plug. all tb-devices need to be pluged while starting the machine.

I am preparing a machine for one of my customers soon.

I also have 2 others in my office, based on the older Z97, one built on an asus-board, another one with gigabyte as well with 2 x TB2 onboard.

it´s a bit of learning-curve to prepare these machines, but finally, if thery are working, a good and more cheep alternative compared to apple.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 4, 2016 at 5:20:04 pm

[Daniel Ludwig] "there is a very interesting one: Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH with 2 x thunderbolt 3 on board, which are fully working"

How do you get them working? The Mac OS doesn't support TB3 yet. I was looking at these boards but kept seeing posts were people couldn't get the ports working.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Sep 4, 2016 at 5:45:04 pm

hi again,
TB3 was introduced with intel skylake-processors Z170, you can find it for example within the new macbook.

prior mac ox 10.11.4 not the entire processor-architecture was implemented within mac os, so TB3 haven´t been working on hackintoshes. but now it´s working, has been confirmed by several users.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:40:46 am

[Herb Sevush] ""He who speaks, does not know.
He who knows, does not speak.""

Nobody speaking is what gives me some shred of hope.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 1, 2016 at 3:28:11 pm

[Herb Sevush] "But who wants to buy a 3 year old machine when Apple is supposedly upgrading the line in the fall."

I've been playing this game with Apple and for years.
I just buy whats available and dont have the energy to deal with whats the fastest (of late).
In the past it was so much fun when trying to justify an SGI Octane/O2 configuration.
These days we can go into an Apple store and get a more than capable iMac.

My day job are at year three with a dozen nMPs and they have not had to be serviced for any reason.
Mostly Adobe centric and the D700s do all the Resolve/Avid/Pro Tools work.
I still use Maya/Renderman on a 2008 BOXX/Dell Precision combo so that will probably be updated soon.

I am hearing rumors that Apple (Canada) is going to start offering a leasing plan for corps.

I hope it opens up to public cause I would take advantage of it for my personal company.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]