FORUMS: list search recent posts

6 months in with FCPX... my feature requests (FWIW)...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Carter
6 months in with FCPX... my feature requests (FWIW)...
on Aug 19, 2016 at 4:14:04 pm

Current FCPX: Amazing and frustrating. A big example of Apple’s “We know better than you and you’ll come around eventually”.

We REALLY need a function or separate app to import FCP6/7 projects. I have to keep a legacy machine running to export EDLs for X, and use a separate app? That’s still just a giant middle finger raised to the core users who have hundreds of legacy projects that do come back to life. We spent thousands on legacy software and it’s just dead? (I know, ranted about for years now).

Give us a way to round trip, even semi-manually. If I have a 5 minute clip and I’m using 9 seconds of it, and those 9 seconds need to go to AE - let me export the trim with my choice of head & tail times. Automatically replace and trim the full clip with the newly rendered clip in the edit after that export. I open the exported clip in AE, render, and manually replace on the FCPX timeline. The 3rd part solutions are inelegant.

Let me keep stuff on tracks when needed. I’m really hating cutting up music to fit an edit and having pieces fly up into spaces in my voiceover and effects tracks.

Give us back the viewer with timecode from 7. I should be able to double click a clip on the timeline and see where it came from in the clip, WITH TIMECODE for in & out points.

Give us back the canvas audio viewer from 7. I can’t do precise markers or trims on the timeline. In 7, I could be wicked precise. Now it's a lot of hunt and peck.

Free up the windows so we can put them where we want across multiple screens.

Give us keyframable speed ramping with beziers. FCPX retiming often keeps me from needing AE, but it’s crude.

Let me use my finder structure to import. I may have a dozen folders in the finder sidebar to speed up my access to media. When I want to import, that’s all gone and I have to dig through everything.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: 6 months in with FCPX... my feature requests (FWIW)...
on Aug 19, 2016 at 4:21:55 pm

Yeah, I second these sentiments. Basic editing things are so missing.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 19, 2016 at 5:02:32 pm

Cue "you're using it wrong" posts :)

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 19, 2016 at 5:34:58 pm

Hey, bring 'em - I've read solutions for keeping things on one track, but I can't find a way to keep thing synched by using compound clips and so on. Or being able to edit a track in the timeline and seeing its relationship to other timeline elements vs. opening a compound clip. The magnetic timeline and the "main storyline" (or whatever) things are fine for many projects... but there are times I want to have, say, cameras A B and C stay on their own tracks vs. jumping up and down. I guess, since I have the full Adobe suite, I should just download Premiere and use it for some things. But my brain feels pretty full most days...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 19, 2016 at 7:34:07 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 19, 2016 at 7:35:26 pm

Okay, here you go.

Over the last 5 years, I've seen dozens and dozens of editors like you make the same journey you're making right now.

I'd describe them as very experienced editors who come to X with long, hard won experience in the industry.

They generally all make exactly the same observations you're making - at the point you've reached in your progression.

And to a one, after more time - they all generally STOP doing what you're doing - which is wasting their time trying to make X meet the conditions of their prior expectations, rather than to learn to work the way X was designed to work.

When they do that - everything changes. They stop fighting it and learn that suddenly what X is RIGHT NOW is making their editing faster and more enjoyably than they've ever experienced before. . Sure, they still have wants and preferences that X is not fully meeting. But almost to a one - they are TOTALLY unwilling to give up what they have - to regain what they used to think was the most important things about how their prior workflows operated.

You have ever right to complain and push back and fight how X works (or doesn't work) and how that fits with how you currently think. But it doesn't change the fact that I've seen guys just like you get frustrated after six months - go back to their other preferred NLEs for even MONTHS - and then after long projects, finally give in and come running back to X.

Because it's an exceptional, modern super-efficient editing system after you actually stop fighting it and learn enough about how it actually works.

Yes, you WILL eventually come around to it. Or you won't. But the difference isn't actually the program. It's the users attitude.

Just what you were looking for in a response, right? ; )

There you go.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 19, 2016 at 7:46:17 pm

It's not about fighting or pushing back - all the requests are common sense and real. For instance, just this morning I'm attempting to import a FCP 7 job into X. Used 7toX and about 10 to 15% of the files are offline because FCPX doesn't like them - even from a media managed folder and I have no way to override and say please use them anyway - so there's red checkered throughout the timeline with nothing to do but cut them in manually from scratch. Is that user error? Am I pushing back against something I don't understand?

The idea that FCPX and Apple are perfect and if you don't like X you're a stubborn moron is just idiotic.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 19, 2016 at 9:42:12 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 19, 2016 at 9:47:10 pm

Lance.

I'd be pleased if, in the future, you'd respond to what I actually wrote - rather than how what I write makes you feel.

I never used the word moron.
I never used the word idiot.
I never used the word "perfect" to describe FCP X.

I'll specifically refer you to this line in my original post: "Sure, they still have wants and preferences that X is not fully meeting."

I think that fully addresses the type of thing you're pointing out.

You're a writer. So I have a presumption that you understand the meaning of the words people use.
So please give me the courtesy of discussing what I've ACTUALLY written - rather than what you think it means.

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 21, 2016 at 2:34:34 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "about 10 to 15% of the files are offline because FCPX doesn't like them - even from a media managed folder and I have no way to override and say please use them anyway"

This is such a huge deal, especially after working in Premiere where it doesn't care what you relink to.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 22, 2016 at 12:15:26 pm

[Gary Huff] "This is such a huge deal, especially after working in Premiere where it doesn't care what you relink to.
"

Hmm I wouldnt go that far.
Relink in Premiere is not exactly flawless.
Im not going into detail since Ive had too many rants about it for years now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 22, 2016 at 12:54:55 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Aug 22, 2016 at 1:01:32 pm

X's best relinker is Resolve.

It's also not perfect, but at this point, it works be best and allows for other operations such as trim and transcode.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Aug 21, 2016 at 4:15:23 pm

You can choose to link footage manually if you want even if the names don't match. I have done that a couple of times in X. As I recall you have to do it one by one and it worked for me.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 23, 2016 at 12:11:56 pm

[Brian Seegmiller] "You can choose to link footage manually if you want even if the names don't match. I have done that a couple of times in X. As I recall you have to do it one by one and it worked for me."

Im lazy I just re-import to get automatic links.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 19, 2016 at 7:52:44 pm

[Bill Davis] "Okay, here you go.

Over the last 5 years, I've seen dozens and dozens of editors like you make the same journey you're making right now.

I'd describe them as very experienced editors who come to X with long, hard won experience in the industry.

They generally all make exactly the same observations you're making - at the point you've reached in your progression.

And to a one, after more time - they all generally STOP doing what you're doing - which is wasting their time trying to make X meet the conditions of their prior expectations, rather than to learn to work the way X was designed to work.

When they do that - everything changes. They stop fighting it and learn that suddenly what X is RIGHT NOW is making their editing faster and more enjoyably than they've ever experienced before. . Sure, they still have wants and preferences that X is not fully meeting. But almost to a one - they are TOTALLY unwilling to give up what they have - to regain what they used to think was the most important things about how their prior workflows operated.

You have ever right to complain and push back and fight how X works (or doesn't work) and how that fits with how you currently think. But it doesn't change the fact that I've seen guys just like you get frustrated after six months - go back to their other preferred NLEs for even MONTHS - and then after long projects, finally give in and come running back to X.

Because it's an exceptional, modern super-efficient editing system after you actually stop fighting it and learn enough about how it actually works.

Yes, you WILL eventually come around to it. Or you won't. But the difference isn't actually the program. It's the users attitude.

Just what you were looking for in a response, right? ; )

There you go."

Told ya!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 19, 2016 at 9:43:56 pm

[Steve Connor] "Told ya!"

I"m here to please!
; )

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:20:48 pm

I don't, to a great extent, disagree. There's something about the overall editing experience that's very cool with FCPX.

Pretty much everything I mentioned has workarounds, with a few caveats. There's nothing that will replace the precision of editing audio in 7, other than "just spend more time on the edit". I really really feel that not having something like the "canvas" view, where I can see the timecode range of the clip I'm using - that's pretty glaring and iMovie-ish. it's like someone at Apple is saying "now why would you want to know that?"

And the worst one for me is the jumping tracks. In complex edits, It's a big visual organizing tool to me to have a sense of "this stuff is up here at this level" (and man, I'm a visual thinker... even my tools are sorted more by shape than use).

Overall, I was pretty amazed how quickly X became 2nd nature - a matter of days. I still don't have a solid idea of why I can't move chunks of things around (cut out a 5 second clip, select everything past it, deselect the big gap placeholder on the main track, but you can't slide all that stuff to the left in one move. Have to do bits and pieces and realign everything). Getting used to that but it does make for creative profanity.

Would love to hear jumping tracks workarounds that keep everything on screen editable without 'clicking in' to subclip types of things.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:24:52 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:26:57 pm

[Michael Carter] " I still don't have a solid idea of why I can't move chunks of things around (cut out a 5 second clip, select everything past it, deselect the big gap placeholder on the main track, but you can't slide all that stuff to the left in one move. Have to do bits and pieces and realign everything). Getting used to that but it does make for creative profanity."

Yeah, takes a bit to wrap your head around it... You ever use MC in Ripple mode? It's kinda like that. As long as your connected clips are "connected" to the chunks in the primary they should move with, it's pretty fluid..

[Michael Carter] "Would love to hear jumping tracks workarounds that keep everything on screen editable without 'clicking in' to subclip types of things."

Secondary storylines all the way... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Aug 21, 2016 at 4:31:00 pm

I zoom into the browser or storyline all the time to get precise edits with audio.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 21, 2016 at 6:16:27 pm

[Michael Carter] "There's nothing that will replace the precision of editing audio in 7, other than "just spend more time on the edit". I"

Its funny. When I moved to X from 7 I finally felt Like I could edit audio quickly and with a degree of precision I always found lacking in 7. The combination of the waveform display and the granularity to which you can zoom into an audio track in X made audio editing a breeze for me.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 22, 2016 at 12:04:30 am

It's much more accurate and powerful. From the visual controls and plugs adopted from logic to the fact that you can edit down to the sample. The rubber banding / keyframing has been improved as well with range controls and multi-Keyframe selections and Keyframe copy paste. Not much to dislike. Improvements across the board.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:18:40 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 19, 2016 at 10:20:57 pm

[Michael Carter] "We REALLY need a function or separate app to import FCP6/7 projects. I have to keep a legacy machine running to export EDLs for X, and use a separate app? "

I dunno.. 7toX is 10 bucks an works perfectly most of the time. Yes, it'll sometimes get a little screwy but it's not bad. Ever try to save and FCP 7 sequence to Pr? MC? NLE's don't like talking to each other very much. ;-)

And EDL-X makes arguably the best most versatile eels ever. I've moved sequences from other NLE's to X just to use it. The amount of info you can include in a 40 year old format is incredible. And it gets updated much faster than the old FCP 7 tool which, when it was broken (which happened a couple times) you just need to wait for the whole suite to update.

[Michael Carter] "Give us a way to round trip, even semi-manually. If I have a 5 minute clip and I’m using 9 seconds of it, and those 9 seconds need to go to AE - let me export the trim with my choice of head & tail times."

Could you ever RT to AE "elegantly" in FCP 7? Xsend to Motion is quite amazing if you use Motion... Maybe adobe should support fcpxml instead of the crappy old FCP 6 XML format. Don't hold your breath...

[Michael Carter] "Let me keep stuff on tracks when needed. I’m really hating cutting up music to fit an edit and having pieces fly up into spaces in my voiceover and effects tracks. "

Yeah, lots of people have been asking for a way to have Roles "stick" together for ages... Hopefully Apple is listening... I just use secondaries and it's fine. I've used DAW's since before ProTools existed, and most major NLE's made in the last 20+ years and I actually prefer editing audio in X despite the fact that things move around. Just my prefs though, and it could definitely be better...

[Michael Carter] "I should be able to double click a clip on the timeline and see where it came from in the clip, WITH TIMECODE for in & out points."

he I/O timecode for a selected clip will show in the Inspector, and if you really wanna see it in context without leaving the timeline just right click and open it. Different, but the same.

[Michael Carter] "Free up the windows so we can put them where we want across multiple screens."

Yeah, being able to save window layouts would be great. here's hoping...

[Michael Carter] "Give us keyframable speed ramping with beziers. FCPX retiming often keeps me from needing AE, but it’s crude."

Yeah, I kinda like the simplicity, but I can see room for improvement.

[Michael Carter] "Let me use my finder structure to import. I may have a dozen folders in the finder sidebar to speed up my access to media. When I want to import, that’s all gone and I have to dig through everything."

Are you importing media to the Library? I always leave media in place and just drag folders in from the finder. they get converts to KW collections and it'a all the same as my Finder organization. Works just like any other NLE in that regard.

All that said, there are a lot of things about X that could be improved.Hopefully the next version of X will do just that... Some people may think X is perfect, but I'd bet that people at Apple don't :-)

~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 20, 2016 at 12:17:10 am

7 to X is like learning a foreign language. Your brain will express concepts in terms of your more familiar tongue for a while as you get more comfortable and learn. Ultimately— you'll simply think in the new language. (or not lol).

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Aug 20, 2016 at 6:35:52 am

The new Resolve 12.5 and 12.5.1 has some really good features for editing, and compositing. It's getting closer and closer to 'FCP 8' or maybe 'FCP 9'. I tried Premiere Pro and found it to be less than a good FCP 7 replacement.

So, I'm now using FCP 7 where it is still useful, FCP X for most of the editing I do, and in the past few months, Resolve as a round-trip target for my FCP X projects for Colour Correction and some compositing. But if you're so 'attached' to FCP 7, I think you may find Resolve 12.5.1 to be a worthy successor.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 20, 2016 at 3:18:41 pm

[Neil Sadwelkar] "So, I'm now using FCP 7 where it is still useful, FCP X for most of the editing I do, and in the past few months, Resolve as a round-trip target for my FCP X projects for Colour Correction and some compositing. But if you're so 'attached' to FCP 7, I think you may find Resolve 12.5.1 to be a worthy successor."

Wouldn't say I'm attached to it - for years it felt like the most primitive software I used and I'm glad to be done with it. But I'm like many who agree that there are missing features in X that are head-scratchers.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 21, 2016 at 2:35:28 pm

[Neil Sadwelkar] "It's getting closer and closer to 'FCP 8' or maybe 'FCP 9'."

I think it's closer to 8.2.1 than to 9.4.2.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:59:04 am

[Charlie Austin] "The amount of info you can include in a 40 year old format is incredible."

Really? You feel that way even considering that you have a limit on the number of edits in your sequence, you can only use transitions in track V1 (i.e. the primary), have to join through edits if you have them, are limited in the number of audio tracks you can use, can't rely on audio mix levels let alone any form of keyframing, have to avoid nested sequences and any nonstandard video transitions, can't use or at least have to be careful when using still frames and speed settings and probably a slew of other things I can't remember?

Personally, if someone asks for an EDL, I tell them "no chance", since I have no way of knowing what will even show up on the other end and won't go through the above checklist for them just because they're stuck in the 80's. :-P Aside from pretty much every major app that I know of or deal with (aside from Avid… of course) can do some flavor of XML as well, so why would I use an EDL.

- RK

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:07:28 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "so why would I use an EDL."

Because the client, who is paying you, requires it.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 23, 2016 at 1:01:04 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 23, 2016 at 1:02:31 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Because the client, who is paying you, requires it."

For which task and/or which app?

Because in my experience 100% of the time (the last 3-4 years at least) has been, that I'm only asked for an EDL out of pure habit. Blissfully ignorant of all the other, far superior options they have. Like XML.

- RK

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 23, 2016 at 2:57:52 pm

"For which task and/or which app? "

1:
re-conforming DAW work to your new edit
most tools that do this compare 2 ELDs

2:
puling used shots.
don't ask me why, but a facility recently told me that an EDL was better for pulling the media needed for a conform.
the XML was of course better for the conform itself.

nick

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 23, 2016 at 4:06:29 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "For which task and/or which app?
"

lol... doesn't matter, Post houses here in LA want what they want, and still have a kind of monopoly hold over us all. Hollywood isn't well known for embracing technical innovation on the post side very quickly. We were still getting material on tape until fairly recently. :-o

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 21, 2016 at 6:56:23 pm

I love working with X but there are a few things that would be nice. For starters sync indicators would be useful. As it stands now they don't exist which means if you detach your audio and it goes out of sync it is a guessing game. I never known of any reason to detach audio but I am sure one exists.

Exporting individual clips from the timeline would be nice. Just select the range tool and export whatever you like. Of course there is the XML to Resolve or Clip Exporter to do handle that line of work.

One last item would be to add a video transition without adding an audio transition in the mix. Yes, expand audio and video does the trick just extra clicks. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 21, 2016 at 7:11:00 pm

[David Mathis] "One last item would be to add a video transition without adding an audio transition in the mix. Yes, expand audio and video does the trick just extra clicks. My two cents."

And how about an audio only transition (crossfade)? Missing that big time...

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Aug 22, 2016 at 12:46:59 am

You can export clips within a range.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 21, 2016 at 9:51:27 pm

[Michael Carter] "We spent thousands on legacy software and it’s just dead? (I know, ranted about for years now)."

It's not dead, it still works. Amazingly, it still works well enough to open and get a translatable file out of it.

[Michael Carter] "The 3rd part solutions are inelegant.
"

ClipExporter 2 does exactly what you want and is about as elegant as it needs to be. There are other programs as well that use xml or fcpxml and import right in to Ae, but don't provide the trim feature.

[Michael Carter] "Let me keep stuff on tracks when needed. I’m really hating cutting up music to fit an edit and having pieces fly up into spaces in my voiceover and effects tracks.
"

Secondary storylines will help with this. I think secondaries are the hardest thing to really truly grasp in fcpx. They are easy to use, harder to master.

[Michael Carter] "Give us back the viewer with timecode from 7. I should be able to double click a clip on the timeline and see where it came from in the clip, WITH TIMECODE for in & out points.
"

Shift-f will match frame. If you have "skimmer info" turned on a popup will display over the skimmer in to browser and you can navigate to in and out to find tc. A tc overlay would be a nice feature, though.

[Michael Carter] "Give us keyframable speed ramping with beziers. FCPX retiming often keeps me from needing AE, but it’s crude."

Remap the "blade speed" command. Double click the edit point o change the cut point, use the transitions built in to the remap bar. Take some time to play around with it and perhaps keyframes will be unnecessary. Time remapping in fcpx is extremely visual and easy.

[Michael Carter] "Let me use my finder structure to import. I may have a dozen folders in the finder sidebar to speed up my access to media. When I want to import, that’s all gone and I have to dig through everything."

You can drag and drop from finder in to the browser and preserve folders as keywords (as long as you have that option turned on in prefs), also works in import window.

Yes, the UI isn't very customizable.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Aug 22, 2016 at 4:35:56 am

Precise audio editing in FCP X.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 22, 2016 at 4:09:41 pm

Wow. What a wonderful, textbook example of "Jump in and use, ask questions and learn basics later". :-D

[Michael Carter] "example of Apple’s “We know better than you and you’ll come around eventually”. "

Oh the irony.

[Michael Carter] "We REALLY need a function or separate app to import FCP6/7 projects."

I guess you REALLY need to check out 7toX. Only been around since December of 2011. Maybe January 2012. Either way, I guess not long enough to get noticed.

[Michael Carter] "Give us a way to round trip, even semi-manually."

Been there since day one. Just not for AE, but for Motion. So you'll either want to jump ship to Motion if that is such a dire need, or jump ship to Premiere. Your choice. But that's like begging ADOBE for better MOTION support. Wanna guess what their answer would be?

Or get "Clip Exporter" which is even FREE, if you insist on doing it the hard way. But I'll bet that the vast majority (if not in fact 100%) of what you do in AE in the context of an edit (titles? simple to average mograph stuff?) could not only be done 1:1, but with actual speed to speak of. Meaning realtime, not slide-show.

[Michael Carter] "I’m really hating cutting up music to fit an edit and having pieces fly up into spaces in my voiceover and effects tracks. "

So you've actually never heard of secondary Storylines. Okay.

[Michael Carter] "I should be able to double click a clip on the timeline and see where it came from in the clip"

So you've also never heard of "Match Framing"? Or the "Event Viewer"? Let alone the various other shortcuts for that task...

[Michael Carter] "I can’t do precise markers or trims on the timeline."

Wow. So ONE-EIGHTIETH OF A FRAME (that's 1/80!) in the timeline is not "precise" enough for you?? Okay, then I guess there's no solution for that.

[Michael Carter] "Give us keyframable speed ramping with beziers."

Again, if the (imho) absolutely brilliantly simple but effective retiming options in X (which are plentiful) aren't enough: Motion. Keyframe and bezier to your heart's content, publish to FCP. With or without XSend.

[Michael Carter] "Let me use my finder structure to import."

I'm sorry? How exactly is that not possible?

[Michael Carter] "I may have a dozen folders in the finder sidebar to speed up my access to media."

Ever notice the "Favorites" section in the import window? Guess what happens if you drag folders—be it from within the import window or from the Finder—into it...

<_<

Return to posts index

Michael Carter
on Aug 22, 2016 at 4:40:11 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I guess you REALLY need to check out 7toX. Only been around since December of 2011. Maybe January 2012. Either way, I guess not long enough to get noticed."

Aaw, sarcasm is just so precious!!! Especially when you just scan the first post on a thread and ignore all the comments?

FCP7 won't run on my current setup. Tried the install twice. So I need to keep a machine running for at least the next several years with something like 10.7. (We already discussed all this above, while you were sleeping in).

I just opened a Photoshop file that I archived in nineteen ninety five. I didn't need to open it on a IIfx running OS7. I didn't need a third party app. I can open legacy AE projects in CC with no issues. All of your "I'm smarter than this guy posturing" doesn't change my opinion that Apple releasing X with no path to work or modify or import legacy projects was, at the least, arrogance. That they're not addressing the millions of projects that exist out there and may need to be accessed - unless we keep legacy machines going - seems the same. yes, I know you guys all bitched about this years ago and have gotten used to it. Pardon me while I'm still in my "WHAT THE LIVING F*CK?!?!?" stage. My first Mac was a little beige box with a 9" B&W screen. Other than manufacturers just disappearing, this is the first time I recall that "professional" software abandoned legacy users.

So my opinion remains: Apple should address the fact that 7 will be a dead system before long and a simple app to generate XMLs from 7 files - without needing 7 - seems like a good product to make when you consider how much work has been done in 7, for years.

[Robin S. Kurz] Or get "Clip Exporter" which is even FREE, if you insist on doing it the hard way. But I'll bet that the vast majority (if not in fact 100%) of what you do in AE in the context of an edit (titles? simple to average mograph stuff?) could not only be done 1:1, but with actual speed to speak of. Meaning realtime, not slide-show.

I have to admit, FCPX's 3D camera tracker and integration with C4D is really impressive, and in no way slideshow like at all. (Cough). I have about 30 aerial clips shot at 60p, I need to replace the flat blue skies with some animated stills with curved geometry (cough, choke), reduce the flicker, get the frame rates to 24p, retime and speed ramp and get some motion blur on them, and a few will need lens flares that track with the footage (cough). I'll get right on that, just let me find that in the manual (cough).

And I can see my edits in real-time in AE, even tracked and flared and effected, so not sure about slideshows.

I could go on but I just got sarcastic. But thanks for all the constructive help (and please point me to this unicorn-like free copy of clip exporter - I've only seen a $110 version). Sorry my feature request post set you off so badly. Someday my brainz be bigsmarty like you!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:27:24 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:42:36 am

[Michael Carter] "FCP7 won't run on my current setup."

Fascinating. Considering that I installed and am running it under macOS Sierra. So I guess your setup is too old?? Okay. However that is even possible. Oh right… everything's Apple's fault, never yours or somehow due to your lack of expertise. Please no! Silly me.

[Michael Carter] "Apple releasing X with no path to work or modify or import legacy projects"

Only they did. Oops. Even if it came (omg! a whopping!!) six months later, since the pieces (FCPXML) weren't completely in place from the get go. Horrible, since FCP 7 stopped functioning the day X was released and everyone was forced to upgrade the next day, right? Oh wait…

<_<

Feel free to ask Intelligent Assistance if they did it all by themselves or if Apple in fact worked extremely close with them to get it made. But somehow developing v1(0).0 software continuously is only something Apple does I guess, instead of releasing a full-featured, be-all end-all product right out of the gate, like, say Adobe? So unusual. Never mind that giving that task to a 3rd party made eons more sense and made for better support and development times i.e. shorter update cycles, for those that actually needed it.

[Michael Carter] "Apple should address the fact that 7 will be a dead system before long and a simple app to generate XMLs from 7 files - without needing 7 "

Yeah. Be sure to hold your breath.
Because hey, if you haven't managed to translate needed project files in over five years, that is TOTALLY on Apple! :-)))

[Michael Carter] "3D camera tracker and integration with C4D"

I see you completely understood my "titles? simple to average mograph stuff?" question perfectly. Kudos.

[Michael Carter] "I have about 30 aerial clips shot at 60p, I need to replace the flat blue skies with some animated stills with curved geometry (cough, choke), reduce the flicker, get the frame rates to 24p, retime and speed ramp and get some motion blur on them, and a few will need lens flares that track with the footage"

Your point being? That you know even less about what Motion can and can't do? That those tasks are somehow "Only with AE!" jobs? Okay. Everyone is entitled to their belief.
And with "hard way" I meant your apparent insistence on teaming AE with FCP X of all things, where, if AE is in fact such a pivotal, full-time element of your work *cough*, Premiere would clearly be the much more logical and efficient choice. Especially seeing how horribly inferior FCP is.

[Michael Carter] "I've only seen a $110 version"

Then I guess that can be the only version.
*cough* (http://www.clipexporter.com/clipexpor… oh never mind…) *cough*

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:44:13 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Then I guess that can be the only version.
*cough* (http://www.clipexporter.com/clipexpor… oh never mind…) *cough*
"

Welcome back Robin :)

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Aug 29, 2016 at 10:57:26 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "[Michael Carter] "Apple should address the fact that 7 will be a dead system before long and a simple app to generate XMLs from 7 files - without needing 7 "

Yeah. Be sure to hold your breath.
Because hey, if you haven't managed to translate needed project files in over five years, that is TOTALLY on Apple! :-)))"

I gotta say... and I am way on-board with FCPX... having a tool that could open legacy project files and facilitate translation to X would be high on my list of 'stuff to buy'. I've got hundreds of legacy projects dating back to 2003, most of which have multiple sequences. I get random requests to go back into the wayback machine and pull stuff out - maybe a couple of times per year. There's no way to know which ones are the 'important ones', and there are too many to simply export all of them. Because of this, I keep a cheese grater MacPro on 10.9 with the full legacy Studio installed and stable with all of my legacy plugins fxscripts, etc.

It's not a thing that keeps me up at night, but it sure would be nice. For me. Among other things... ;^)

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:37:05 am

Man I'm so bummed to be leaving on vacation Thursday.

I love a good re-run.

And this sure reminds me of the good old days.

New guy stumbles into the neighborhood chock full of "expertise" he's sure nobody here in the minor leagues has ever had before him, and proceeds to school everyone on how editing is supposed to work and why the gizmo we've been using ain't worth much to a "real" serious type editor like him unless they "fix it" to be more like what he expects.

It's like the WayBack machine has dumped us all in 2012 all over again!

Might even entice me to log in from the beach now and then.

Have fun.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:46:31 am

[Bill Davis] "Might even entice me to log in from the beach now and then.
"

Surely not? Take some time away from the war on FCPX complainers Bill, you've earned it!

Return to posts index

Agnes Marsala
on Aug 29, 2016 at 8:25:03 pm

I'm still using 7.5 and after reading this thread I'm more horrified than ever at the thought of moving to X!
I'm by no means a big-time hollywood editor. I'm a busy "multi-media specialist" with a non-profit medical center. I'm getting too old for steep learning curves but I guess, I can fake it till I make it for another couple of years.
The screen shots look more like iMovie than FCP but if I just let go of the past and embrace the zen of FCP X I guess it will all work out.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 29, 2016 at 8:54:27 pm

[Agnes Marsala] "I'm still using 7.5 and after reading this thread I'm more horrified than ever at the thought of moving to X!"

Don't be, it's amazing. Seriously. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]