FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yet another update for Resolve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Yet another update for Resolve
on Aug 12, 2016 at 11:24:05 am

Resolve is updated yet again and not just bug fixes

http://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/3687-blackmagic-releases-davinci-reso...

No need for Quicktime on Windows machines if you want to use ProRes now.

So their Dev team are developing a complex App across multiple OS's and they still manage to crank out regular updates!

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Yet another update for Resolve
on Aug 12, 2016 at 12:50:55 pm

[Steve Connor] "No need for Quicktime on Windows machines if you want to use ProRes now."

You mean for reading ProRes files. I'm assuming it still can't write ProRes on Windows 10, correct?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 12, 2016 at 1:11:25 pm

[Herb Sevush] "You mean for reading ProRes files. I'm assuming it still can't write ProRes on Windows 10, correct?"

Correct. This feature only refers to native ProRes decode.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Aug 12, 2016 at 4:50:55 pm

Yeah I'm still waiting for the export Pro Res function... I think Assimilate Scratch has Pro Res export on Windows?

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 12, 2016 at 5:30:05 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "I think Assimilate Scratch has Pro Res export on Windows?"

Yes, it does. This has been our go-to for ProRes deliverables. NUKE also renders ProRes on PC as of version 9. I think Nucoda has an official ProRes implementation, too, but we don't use that so I don't know firsthand.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Aug 13, 2016 at 7:13:21 pm

At this pace one wonders what version 13 will bring.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 14, 2016 at 1:22:23 am

[Ricardo Marty] "At this pace one wonders what version 13 will bring."

Maybe an editor one can trust? Got a ways to go, IMHO...

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 18, 2016 at 2:49:48 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Yeah I'm still waiting for the export Pro Res function."

Same here. I am lusting after some new 1060/70/80 laptops.

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Aug 15, 2016 at 1:53:06 am

Classical Blackmagic...

Keep adding features... introduce cool stuff, yet still do not really fix core issues.

Case in point - their Ultrastudio Software playing content out from FCPX will randomly just crash the software. Have to install an older version (12 months ago) to stabilise things...

A client wont care that its just 'Blackmagic glitches' that cause their content to suddenly disappear off a Video Monitor... they will just think we are using unstable software.

Then lets look at their camera range and the myriad of issues there.

I really like Blackmagic and Resolve is an amazing Color Grading solution... but they need to concentrate more on fixing things than rather just adding bells and whistles....

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Aug 15, 2016 at 1:26:03 pm

[Dean Neal] "A client wont care that its just 'Blackmagic glitches' that cause their content to suddenly disappear off a Video Monitor... they will just think we are using unstable software. "

In the church I work at, we have a truckload of BMD hardware, including a 2 M/E switcher. It was inexpensive to purchase, so that made it enticing for us and so many others.

In the long run, it's just cheap junk.

A look at the BMD website, would make you think that their products are the cat's meow. After all that's what good marketing does. But in reality they seem to be a company with an unsustainable business model, with engineering resources stretched amazingly thin.
I think in the long run, it would benefit Blackmagic to raise their prices, double their staff, and truly become the company they really want (and can) be.

Until they do that, I am going to try do de-BMD my building as fast as my budget will let me.
Just my opinion.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 15, 2016 at 5:39:29 pm

Perhaps they should have a support plan. You buy the product then have a yearly support plan billed monthly or annually. The support would include fixing bugs and adding features.
Once you decide to exit you keep the version but can no longer upgrade until you join back in. The other option is to pay for the new version. I would rather pay extra money to have issues resolved (pardon the pun) then have a free update schedule with the focus on new features instead of fixing bugs under the hood. I thought about jumping to other color correction tools but those are expensive.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 23, 2016 at 9:16:03 am

[Scott Witthaus] "Got a ways to go, IMHO..."

Agreed.

[Dean Neal] "Keep adding features... introduce cool stuff, yet still do not really fix core issues."

But… it's FREE… right? ;) At least that's the number one (if not only) "feature" that I ever really hear anyone tout when it comes to saying how great it is. As if that in itself had any real meaning or value. Apparently forgetting the old and imho painfully true adage "There are no free lunches". I always get the feeling they're trying to hide behind all their free "goodies" to distract from their ever worsening reputation when it comes to quality and reliability. In both the soft and hardware depts. It would seem that when people see "FREE!" their eyes light up and they become amazingly forgiving.

[Don Walker] "truly become the company they really want (and can) be."

How are they not that yet? If you ask me, they set out to be the IKEA of video, plus the added "Buy one, get two FREE!" scheme and are exactly that… no?

- RK

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:17:26 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "But… it's FREE… right? ;) At least that's the number one (if not only) "feature" that I ever really hear anyone tout when it comes to saying how great it is."

Are you limiting the context of your comments to Resolve as an NLE?

[Robin S. Kurz] "How are they not that yet? If you ask me, they set out to be the IKEA of video, plus the added "Buy one, get two FREE!" scheme and are exactly that… no?"

I understand that your point is that BMD aims for the masses at the expense of quality, but 1) there's a lot of true video junk out there, and I think that BMD's initial quality might be higher than we give them credit for, and 2) Resolve is a very serious force in color correction in a way that IKEA is not in furniture.

On the software side, BMD's constant, relentless, iterative improvement reminds me of dripping water cutting away a stone.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:48:57 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 23, 2016 at 11:09:39 am

[Walter Soyka] "Are you limiting the context of your comments to Resolve as an NLE?"

In the context of this thread, yes.

[Walter Soyka] "Resolve is a very serious force in color correction in a way that IKEA is not in furniture."

I'm sorry, but how is IKEA not "a serious force" in furniture? :-D How many other international furniture chains pop to mind when you say "furniture"? And how do they fair in terms of marketshare, revenue etc. etc. in comparison? Not sure how you define "serious force" I guess! Completely aside from that of course being an apple and oranges comparison anyway. :)

[Walter Soyka] "constant, relentless, iterative improvement "

Who is not doing that? Because that's pretty much the top argument I hear right off the bat in favor of pretty much every NLE I can think of (aside from maybe Avid) all the time. As of the online-ization of every app, I don't even see how that can be considered a USP anymore. Nor do I see how more frequent updates somehow automatically equal a better product. Couldn't one in fact suspect the exact opposite just as well?

Especially since I get the feeling when something is added or fixed in X or PPro etc., it's a big "Finally!". With Resolve it's a "relentless, iterative improvement!". :-D

But then from what I have seen and heard (e.g. in this thread), the question is if those are actual improvements, or just continuous effort to win the Ultimate Feature List Length competition, with in fact complete disregard for the improved stability and usability of existing features.

- RK

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2016 at 11:10:49 am

[Walter Soyka] "Resolve is a very serious force in color correction in a way that IKEA is not in furniture."

[Robin S. Kurz] "I'm sorry, but how is IKEA not "a serious force" in furniture? :-D How many other international furniture chains pop to mind when you say "furniture"? And how do they fair in terms of marketshare, revenue etc. etc. in comparison? Not sure how you define "serious force" I guess! Completely aside from that of course being an apple and oranges comparison anyway. :)"

I didn't say IKEA was not a serious force in furniture. I said that Resolve is a very serious force in color correction in a way that IKEA is not in furniture. IKEA is low-end furniture only, at least in the U.S. Resolve spans market segments; you could argue Resolve is dominant in both the bottom and top segments [link]. As for apples and oranges, it was your analogy. I'd agree that we cannot use IKEA as a way to understand BMD. That's my point.

[Walter Soyka] "constant, relentless, iterative improvement "

[Robin S. Kurz] "Who is not doing that?"

I don't think anyone is iterating as quickly or as broadly as BMD is right now. If you had asked me a couple years ago if I thought BMD could threaten The Foundry and Autodesk in their own markets, I might have laughed. Not today! Compounded growth is powerful.

[Robin S. Kurz] "But then from what I have seen and heard (e.g. in this thread), the question is if those are in fact improvements, or just continuous effort to win the Ultimate Feature List Length competition, with in fact complete disregard for the improved stability and usability of existing features."

Which features do you think are non-improvements?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 23, 2016 at 11:34:49 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 23, 2016 at 11:37:00 am

[Walter Soyka] "I don't think anyone is iterating as quickly or as broadly as BMD is right now. "

Maybe. I'll just take your word for it. I don't have an Excel-sheet comparison to check off and be sure. But again, whether all that is "more mass than class" is yet to be seen and decided for everyone individually. In terms of NLE functionality, nothing sticks out for me, especially in the context of its overall performance. Track-based has become a complete no-go for me anyway, when given the choice. As a color-corrector on the other hand it will probably stay my go-to for higher end CCs for a while to come.

[Walter Soyka] "Which features do you think are non-improvements?"

That's all in the eye of the be-user, no? ;) Arguments over purely subjective "usefulness" of bullet point are rarely (as in never) very fruitful. One thing may be a complete god send for you, whilst meaningless for me. And of course the other way around. Not something I find worth spending time on… again.

- RK

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 23, 2016 at 5:02:15 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Track-based has become a complete no-go for me anyway, when given the choice. As a color-corrector on the other hand it will probably stay my go-to for higher end CCs for a while to come."

A perfectly reasonable point of view.

Ultimately, I think that when we limit our conversation to Resolve as an NLE only, we miss the most interesting part of its current value proposition. A color (or dailies) system which is also a passable NLE, and which also connects with a compositor, is much more interesting to consider than just a free NLE.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Arguments over purely subjective "usefulness" of bullet point are rarely (as in never) very fruitful."

I'd agree with that, too. But you offered questions about the utility of the new feature set and whether BMD were ignoring actual user issues, based on what you had seen and heard, so I thought you might be interested in substantiating that line of questioning with an example or two for the sake of discussion.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 15, 2016 at 2:15:29 pm

[Dean Neal] "I really like Blackmagic and Resolve is an amazing Color Grading solution... but they need to concentrate more on fixing things than rather just adding bells and whistles...."

Exactly.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 15, 2016 at 5:30:34 pm

I went back to 11 to stay within the color realm of things.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 15, 2016 at 6:01:52 pm

[Dean Neal] "I really like Blackmagic and Resolve is an amazing Color Grading solution... but they need to concentrate more on fixing things than rather just adding bells and whistles...."

I've been pretty critical of BMD's practices, but the thing that impressed me most about 12.5 was it seemed there was some real attention paid to solving some actual user issues. Do you feel that's not the case?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Aug 21, 2016 at 9:03:35 am

[Walter Soyka] "I've been pretty critical of BMD's practices, but the thing that impressed me most about 12.5 was it seemed there was some real attention paid to solving some actual user issues. Do you feel that's not the case?"

One rain shower does not fill a dam...

I haven't really tested the latest version of Resolve yet, to stress test the reported improvements and enhancements...

I am curious to see how it performs as a genuine 'NLE' now... as for me, it was always very slow and sluggish - even on high-end Mac hardware...

That said, its core feature set for color grading has always been excellent, but that is as much as the legacy of the software that BMD acquired in the first place.

As an Australian... and seeing as BMD are an Australian company - I really hope they can up the ante on their post product release maintenance and support.

There's a lot of cool stuff to be sure, but they could be sooo much better.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]