FORUMS: list search recent posts

Well, this review from a new user says it all doesn't it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Tomberlin
Well, this review from a new user says it all doesn't it?
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:15:17 pm

Straight from the App store...

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Well, this review from a new user says it all doesn't it?
on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:09:57 pm

Just to temper things a little bit, you know, its great that for a good many enthusiasts looking to step up, the X interface offers a somewhat less intimidating model. It also does offer quite a bit more than an Express/iMovie experience -- no question. Sitting in the Supermeet, I could really grasp what the architects wanted to supply -- which was hiding as much as possible from its operators, ridding the screen of "clutter", reducing the overload of multitasking an unarguably, and for most, overwhelmingly complex environment. Commendable. Like that drug for ADD.

I actually got a flash of filmstrips hanging in a bin, a single KEM/Steenbeck display with only one active filmstrip/platter mechanism -- a really remarkable return to the roots of editing -- almost a full circle, with the exception of limitless previewing/auditioning, and Beaker-the-hapless-lab-assistant keeping that source bin-thing filled, and iPhoto-ing all that gak (apologies to the cinematographers of the world). Maybe I was a bit puzzled that most of the functions the company men were demonstrating was already possible in the "old" version (if you took any time with the manual), but not all software engineers are fully conversant with the subtleties of professional life in the field, production obligations, and what has gone before.

I have maintained all along that X would be invaluable for the unplanned, one-off, cuts-and-dissolves news/vanity (in the book-publishing sense)/whatever crowd. There is a monetized model for that and its a legitimate pursuit, and if you're in the black with it, something to be proud of. Keep going.

But I have to stand on the dock waving buh-bye to the new ship because I am one of those legacy people (small niche called national/international broadcast) that needs to deliver hierarchical physical media all over the world which also does infer that I usually generate about 9 or 10 versions of the same program in 3 or 4 standards in a couple of languages plus D,M&E, textless, captions, subtitles and so on, on several types of media, including all the paper deliverables. So although the X workflow may feel good for a one-handed operation, it does not really fit the business model that its predecessor did. Errrr... well enough... I guess.

This has all been said before.

For those who "hope" it may be the answer to everyone's prayers one day... apparently there are plenty of third-party developers who would love to sell you even more software... I just hope those offerings work better as external applications than, for example, Final Touch did, which we also had great "hopes" for. I'm thinking of someone who actually said (with the arrival of FCS) they would prefer to see what they did for COLOR 2.0....
(meaningful pause) at least that wait is over.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:52:53 pm

[Joseph Owens] "But I have to stand on the dock waving buh-bye to the new ship because I am one of those legacy people (small niche called national/international broadcast) that needs to deliver hierarchical physical media all over the world which also does infer that I usually generate about 9 or 10 versions of the same program in 3 or 4 standards in a couple of languages plus D,M&E, textless, captions, subtitles and so on, on several types of media, including all the paper deliverables. So although the X workflow may feel good for a one-handed operation, it does not really fit the business model that its predecessor did. Errrr... well enough... I guess."

Although, unlike some, I like what Final Cut Pro X offers in terms of actually cutting sound and picture, I just don't see how they can make any changes that will allow assignable tracks in the context of the magnetic timeline. I wish there was some evidence that they could.

Without any such evidence I just don't see how ANY improvement they will make will resolve these problems despite all the protestations of adding in "pro" features again.

They may surprise me, but currently there's the appearance of a gaping chasm between here and there.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:33:28 am

[Gary Pollard] "Although, unlike some, I like what Final Cut Pro X offers in terms of actually cutting sound and picture, I just don't see how they can make any changes that will allow assignable tracks in the context of the magnetic timeline. I wish there was some evidence that they could.

Without any such evidence I just don't see how ANY improvement they will make will resolve these problems despite all the protestations of adding in "pro" features again. "

From the FAQ:

"An update this summer will allow you to use metadata tags to categorize your audio clips by type and export them directly from Final Cut Pro X."

Tagging audio clips and then mapping them to tracks based on those tags when exporting seems like it should work.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:23:06 am

[Chris Kenny] ""An update this summer will allow you to use metadata tags to categorize your audio clips by type and export them directly from Final Cut Pro X."

Tagging audio clips and then mapping them to tracks based on those tags when exporting seems like it should work."

Ah, that's interesting. I missed that. I was actually wondering - as someone with zero programming experience - whether such a method might apply, and even considering whether I could tag audio as A,B,C, D or whatever to enable such a function.

Let's hope.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:10:56 pm

Well, that's certainly a different way to work, and it might work, but the question is why would you want to do it that way instead of just putting SFX in a bin and dropping them onto preassigned tracks, vs spending time keywording each asset and hoping you remember how everything was tagged?

I've been hearing lots of arguments trying to support this new paradigm, but I haven't yet heard one that makes me want to switch. I guess that's the beauty of competition. Each person is free to pick their own tool.

Chris

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 6, 2011 at 6:57:13 pm

[Chris Kenny] "From the FAQ:

"An update this summer will allow you to use metadata tags to categorize your audio clips by type and export them directly from Final Cut Pro X.""

To deliverable tape?

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:30:08 am

[Joseph Owens] "To deliverable tape?"

Tape output is trivial to do from a third-party app, once you've got a file that meets the right specs. Blackmagic is already stepping up and adding features to their Media Express deck control app. I don't think lack of built-in serial deck control is going to end up being a big problem.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]