FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sales motivation?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Sales motivation?
on Aug 4, 2016 at 9:00:36 pm

I'm lately seeing a number of tempting half-off type offers for different FCP-X plug-in products and the like, all kind of urgent in their cut-off dates. It makes me wonder, do they know something I don't? Like, next week Apple unveils the FCPX upgrade, including a feature that I just paid for in one of these half-off offers?

Or is it just something to do with the business calendar and inventory numbers?

Guess I'll know when everyone else does.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Sales motivation?
on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:31:57 am

> I'm lately seeing a number of tempting half-off type offers for different FCP-X plug-in products and the like, all kind of urgent in their cut-off dates.

Which in particular?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:53:25 am

My guess is inventory. Other reasons for these markdowns is to introduce new products and to gain a larger customer base. I get all sorts of messages regarding new products and special sales. I honestly think it is part inventory, the time of year, new product introductions and gaining new customers. My guess it will be when the new OS is introduced is when FCP will get an update. This is a just a guess, nothing more. Then again we could see that new update next week.

Tetris is my favorite video game unless tracks are involved.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 5, 2016 at 4:32:31 am

[Mark Suszko] "
Or is it just something to do with the business calendar and inventory numbers?"

There's inventory for plugin downloads? Probably just something for the business calendar.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 5, 2016 at 11:51:50 am

[Andrew Kimery] "There's inventory for plugin downloads? Probably just something for the business calendar."

Back to school, specifically.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:33:22 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Aug 5, 2016 at 1:33:47 pm

[Mark Suszko] "It makes me wonder, do they know something I don't? Like, next week Apple unveils the FCPX upgrade, including a feature that I just paid for in one of these half-off offers? "
+1

Wondering the same myself. Conspiracy theory? I know that I purchased MotionVFX mObject at a discount to get 3D Text right before Apple added native 3D Text to FCP X (which performed a heck of a lot faster too) so that was money down the drain. :(

I agree it makes you wonder.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 5, 2016 at 2:14:09 pm

That was unfortunate. But you have to admit mObject is about a lot more than 3D text. And it's 3D text blows away Apples. But simplicity rules. FWIW they're touting an amazing update to mObject this year.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 5, 2016 at 2:19:55 pm

[Bret Williams] "But you have to admit mObject is about a lot more than 3D text."
I have to agree. I originally bought it for 3D Text but the object import is really a cool feature and I purchased their bundle of objects which are really great for making motion graphics intros and stuff. So yea, I lot more than just 3D Text. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

BTW MotionVFX is having a 40% sale on mMorphCut. If you do headshot interviews or create any sort of monolog introductions, this is a *must have* plug-in. It will seamlessly combine jump-cut shots together saving hours of redoing takes. I can highly recommend it (I use it all the time).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 5, 2016 at 2:24:10 pm

That thing is great. I've even used it on 4K lock offs, that I then edited into HD sequence adding camera moves and zooms. I've even used it for I dream of genie type effects where someone snapped their fingers and the product pops on. But with morph cut the product morphs on. Very cool usage.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2016 at 2:34:38 pm

I just bought Morph Cut (with my own money, not office funds) exactly because we do a lot of that kind of guy-in-chair-talking stuff with non-actor talent, and this is going to solve a LOT of problems for me. I know Premiere already had it, just glad I have it now.

Big fan of MotionVFX anyhow: their templated Apple Motion projects are really exceptional, and even if I'm not needing to buy, I often browse what their artists are coming up with for inspiration.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 5, 2016 at 6:11:07 pm

Morph Cut works better than the Premiere Version for me!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 7, 2016 at 9:56:27 pm

Can't speak for Premiere, but Resolve's was actually a little better tha mMorphCut, but obviously not as convenient!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 11, 2016 at 11:37:28 pm

"Resolve's was actually a little better tha mMorphCut"

Hi Bret,

i was curious as i hadn't heard of Resolve's version till now,
but when i googled it this came up:

Resolve smooth cut vs. mMorphCut
by Bret Williams on Oct 22, 2015 at 1:44:19 pm
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/40144
"mMorphCut handled the more complicated ones much better. SmoothCut came out closer to a dissolve on a few"

so has resolve gotten better?

nick

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 23, 2016 at 10:23:43 am

[Mark Suszko] "It makes me wonder, do they know something I don't? … Or is it just something to do with the business calendar and inventory numbers?"

I'd say, depending on the vendor and product, one or the other. For one, considering X's "normal" update cycle of the last five years and the fact that we are currently far past the usual 3-4 months, the next update I think could be considered 10 months pregnant. And if any of the vendors are in fact on the beta, then that may well fuel what it is they want out the door as much as possible, before new features of the update that may overlap are released. Or they themselves are about to release the next generation!

Either way, even if you did buy something the day before the next update comes out, that becomes obsolete because of it, you'll never know if that was coincidence or calculation. ;)

[Bret Williams] "mObject is about a lot more than 3D text"

Oh boy... MUCH more, yes. Even if you ignored the fact that you can import and manipulate any given OBJ file, the textures are more sophisticated and flexible, the renderer even more so (ray-tracer!), you have various other options such as smoke and the likes AND you can do things like integrate drop zones into any given scene/object to be populated in FCP! And yes, they're currently working on a v2, which, of course, is supposed to be "amazing" (and I don't actually doubt it). :)

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]