FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fusion for Linux

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Fusion for Linux
on Jul 27, 2016 at 3:44:07 pm

While waiting for something big to happen with FCP X I decided to see what the other big players were up to.
To my surprise, and probably to others, Blackmagic Design came out with Fusion for Linux recently. The surprise part is that even the free version is available for the Linux platform. I doubt the same situation will apply to Resolve though. Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Fusion for Linux
on Jul 27, 2016 at 4:24:26 pm

[David Mathis] " The surprise part is that even the free version is available for the Linux platform. I doubt the same situation will apply to Resolve though. Love to hear your thoughts on this."

Why is that a surprise? Linux users make up a good chunk of the Fusion community, they've been waiting for an update since the acquisition.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 27, 2016 at 8:51:11 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Why is that a surprise? Linux users make up a good chunk of the Fusion community, they've been waiting for an update since the acquisition."

David is pointing out the disparity in free availability for the products on Linux. Free Fusion is now tri-platform. A free Resolve has never been available on Linux, only on Windows and macOS. To get Resolve on Linux, one used to have to buy the $30,000 panels. It's possible there is now a $995 Linux Resolve Studio dongle available for sale, but it's somewhat unclear.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 27, 2016 at 11:39:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "David is pointing out the disparity in free availability for the products on Linux. Free Fusion is now tri-platform. A free Resolve has never been available on Linux, only on Windows and macOS. To get Resolve on Linux, one used to have to buy the $30,000 panels. It's possible there is now a $995 Linux Resolve Studio dongle available for sale, but it's somewhat unclear"

I guess I had a bit more faith in BMD. I always suspected that there would be a free version of Fusion for Linux users... despite the licensing scheme for Resolve. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]