FORUMS: list search recent posts

about PCP X PROXY?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Osmany Tellez
about PCP X PROXY?
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:51:03 pm

Hello.

I have a question (i'm researching on it too) but I wanted to ask people with experience for any feedback on this.

Never used proxy before..had a macpro with plenty of HD space...now moved to an iMac and space is a factor. Thought I'll switch to proxy workflow to help me with this and also learn something new in the process.

Started using FCP X for some projects ( weddings).

can someone share what's their workflow using proxy in FCP X?

to me...

-Seems strange that switching to proxy makes every event this opcion...wish i can have one event in proxy, another in ProRes, another in H.264....anyways..not a bit deal but weird to me.

-Seems that if I choose proxy I can't mix clips from any other format than proxy..is that right?
what about if I want to import a clip of a film burn efect i have? does it have to be converted to proxy too? i guess..is this normal? do I have to convert everything to proxy?

I guess I'll learn more about it in the process...thought i'll check with the experts here..jejeje

thanks a lot

Osmany

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
Re: about PCP X PROXY?
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:20:41 pm

Hey Osmany,

I guess the first question is do you really need to use Proxies? I work in DVCPro HD (1080i and 720p) and HDV, and drive space has never been an issue. i work on a 4 year old iMac with 2x 2TB Lacie external drives, and have never had an issue with space. Are you editing on the internal drive, and that's why you want to use proxies? Just curious. Let me know.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Trainer
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Osmany Tellez
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:41:14 pm

Hi Kevin..how cool..I'm just nw watching your kicking the tires part 2 tutorial...cool..thanks for your help..

Yes, I'm editing from my internal drive. So far, I only got cheap WD usb Hard Drives...I'm planing on getting some cool firewire 800 or even Thurtherbolt HD when I get to it...but now I don't.

But even thou. thinking usb HD will be to slow, (mostly edit in ProRes 422 and DVCpro HD...but also even if I get a firewire HD...I'm always so paranoic with HD failing that I worry everytime I have to use a HD for a long time..you know..they heat up and will really suck if one die on me. Is that just my paranoia?

Bytheway..my footage in from 5D mark ii, t2i and HVX200a.

Do you don't think proxy is necesary in my case? is it safe editing fom external HD?

Thanks a lot kevin.

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:29:50 am

Hey Osmany,

I've been cutting compressed HD for years (about 4 now) on my external Lacie 2TB FW800 drives with no issues whatsoever. Stay away from Proxies, unless you are getting into really large frame sizes. To be honest, as much as everyone loves Pro Res, for me, DVCPro HD 1080i and 720p work perfectly, and look great when broadcast for television, so it will look great if you are editing wedding videos. Hope this helps.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Trainer
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]