FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for new UI monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Looking for new UI monitor
on Jul 20, 2016 at 5:48:56 pm

Do any of you have those ultra wide LG monitors and use FCPX? How is it?

Do you have the curved or flat monitor?

I'd love to be able to connect via thunderbolt2. We are moving, and I am looking for my move in gift to myself, whatever that means.

If not, what else are you using? I have external video monitors, just looking for a good computer monitor with some decent real estate over 2k pixels.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Looking for new UI monitor
on Jul 20, 2016 at 6:18:12 pm

We've got a few flat 21:9 LGs, but mainly running Adobe software. They look super-weird at first, but after a brief adjustment period, everybody loves using them and no one wants to go back.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 20, 2016 at 6:45:20 pm

Did you choose flat vs curved? I am leaning towards curved, but not sure.

Thanks, Walter.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 20, 2016 at 6:57:20 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Did you choose flat vs curved? I am leaning towards curved, but not sure. "

Yes, I chose flat specifically. I harbor a dinosaur-Luddite concern that the curvature would create a perception/perspective issue: is that line level? How long is it?

To be honest, though, I've never evaluated a curved display in person to say whether or not my worry was justified.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 20, 2016 at 7:01:13 pm

Right. I have the same concerns, but the curved is appealing to me, especially with the new setup.

I think a curved TV on the wall is weird, but a curved desktop monitor? It's what I do with two monitors anyway (sort of angle them in two planes that join in the middle) so I feel like a curved one would be very nice.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

Peter Steinberg
on Jul 20, 2016 at 7:13:49 pm

I've had an LG ultra wide (flat) for about six months now and I'm ambivalent. Is having a lot of screen real estate great? Of course. But, is the extremely horizontal arrangement ideal? I'm not sure. There are as many times I curse my monitor for not being taller as there are times I bless it for being so wide.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 20, 2016 at 7:23:26 pm

[Peter Steinberg] "But, is the extremely horizontal arrangement ideal? I'm not sure. There are as many times I curse my monitor for not being taller as there are times I bless it for being so wide."

This is a really good point. Out of the box, 16x9ish UI layouts full-screen do not suit the 21:9 AR.

We've customized UIs to take advantage of the extra width, or alternately use the standard layouts, run the apps in windows instead of full-screen, and pretend the ultrawide is really a dual-screen configuration.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 20, 2016 at 8:44:09 pm

I have an LG 21:9 and I think are solid as a single monitor solution. For dual monitor setups however, you'll likely want a more standard aspect ratio. Which would be the Dell or the Sharp in lieu of a cinema display. I've tried single 21:9 as dual screen but to be honest the halves are a little small for this, at least on the size I got.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops
XinTwo - FCPX Training

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 20, 2016 at 11:43:16 pm

I'm running a curved LG ultrawide with a 4k LG panel. Personally, I love the layout. In FCPX I keep the viewers on the second display and it gives me the real estate to have a huge Timeline and Events Browser, with the viewers and scopes both up on the 4k. Honestly, I've yet to find many things that don't benefit from it (although it'd be nice to rearrange Resolve to make better use of it).

NickZimmerman.net

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 21, 2016 at 2:38:20 am

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Nick, you run curved and flat?

Do you have a video monitor too? Seems like a lot of pixels!

I'm hoping to get away with one UI monitor, and I'm hoping the 98 model will do.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:01:36 am
Last Edited By Nicholas Zimmerman on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:08:56 am

Accidentally double posted instead of editing, and I can't figure out how to delete the post now...

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:04:41 am
Last Edited By Nicholas Zimmerman on Jul 21, 2016 at 3:14:08 am

Yup, the way they're angled you can't really tell. OSX's scaling keeps Windows the exact same size between displays which is super nifty. At the moment I have a 10-bit 55" UHD TV for client viewing. I run UHD from FCPX via HDMI, and 2k via my Thunderbolt Ultrastudio Express. Want one of their 4K models now that I'm coloring a lot of 4K, but I don't want to drop $3,000 and their $1,000 one is in need of a refresh.

NickZimmerman.net

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jul 21, 2016 at 7:41:53 am

I too like the idea of going with one widescreen curved monitor and plan to when I can BUT don't know if LG will be on my shopping list. I have 2 of the high-end ($1,000 each) 27" LG's and one died recently, right as the warranty expired. I've never had a monitor backlight just whack out before, I've had monitors look tired after a few years but never just fail. So I'll be looking at Samsung, Dell, HP whatever and buying an extended warranty next time.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 22, 2016 at 7:27:17 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jul 22, 2016 at 7:27:44 am

I've had a flat one for... ages, since a couple months after they came out. Love it. It's the "second" monitor for my iMac. I had to put it on a tale case of all things to get it to line up with the iMac screen, but it great, no matter what NLE/DAW/Random apps are on it. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mike Kelland
on Jul 25, 2016 at 2:48:27 am

I tried a colleague's flat LG and didn't like it, so bought a curved one and love it. I don't think of it being curved, it just looks 'right'... The flat one looks distorted when you look at it due to perspective - it's a pretty wide setup. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]