FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tea leaves and b.s.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Tea leaves and b.s.
on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:15:02 pm

Just got an email that Color Finale 1.5 (now with undo!) is launching Tuesday next.

Tuesday is an interesting day to pick, isn't it? I mean I know there's a holiday Monday, but still, what do Tuesday's usually bring?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Tea leaves and b.s.
on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:39:22 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "but still, what do Tuesday's usually bring?"

Promises from Wimpy to pay you back for a hamburger?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2016 at 5:46:31 pm

A near perfect euphemism for the Double_Secret_Society_NDA version of FCPX.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:45:06 pm

More likely it will be another day of disapair as FCP X was not updated as usual. I am going to be pessimistic to avoid disappointment. ;-)

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:16:59 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "A near perfect euphemism for the Double_Secret_Society_NDA version of FCPX."

In all seriousness, although I didn't go, I still take that as a big deal they made that happen with all the secrecy up there.

The only thing I know is when the CEO on every unscripted interview gets asked anything that the pat response is "We don't speak to any future products." except for when he does.

It must be just as frustrating for them as it is for us.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:18:01 pm

[Darren Roark] "It must be just as frustrating for them as it is for us."

Nah.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:22:14 pm

[Darren Roark] "It must be just as frustrating for them as it is for us."

True dat.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:29:13 pm

[Darren Roark] "Promises from Wimpy to pay you back for a hamburger?"

I'd expect a Wimpy check... he made the promise last week already! ;^)

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Tea leaves and b.s.: Tuesdays, David Bowie, and Love You Till Tuesday
on Jul 1, 2016 at 7:17:42 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "what do Tuesday's usually bring?"

Patches.

Microsoft had been informally releasing patches on Tuesdays since the days of Windows 98, but formalized Patch Tuesday as A Thing With A Name in 2003, the second Tuesday in the month.

More broadly, and for a much longer time, Tuesday has also been the official day of release for new albums, books, home video, and video games in the US for generations. In the case of books and music, a lot of generations.

It happens that US music has just recently switched over to the global standard of Friday releases....but otherwise, for most other stuff, it has been Tuesdays.

As a former bookseller (I managed stores for Barnes & Noble in Baltimore & DC in the late 80s, and my first job in high school was at a bookstore in the 70s), I can tell you WHY Tuesday has been the day...and because it's me, I can do it at extreme and thoroughly documented length...including the bizarre and entirely true tale of the role played by Sonic the Hedgehog in cementing Tuesdays as THE release day for video games.

I'll save those for when somebody asks. LOL

But what's that you say? You DO want to hear the story of the David Bowie song "Love You Till Tuesday" from his 1967 debut album, the subsequent single-only version, and Bowie's rare 1969 film of the same name that would only see US release on LASER DISK ONLY in 1990?

SO GLAD YOU ASKED!!!

"Love You Till Tuesday" was the third single released under the name David Bowie. Immediately prior, he had been recording under the name "David Bowie & The Lower Third" (!!!!), and before that "Davy Jones & The Lower Third" (what with his birth name being David Jones and all).

The version of "Love You Till Tuesday" on his eponymous debut album is pretty twee, even by the standards of that largely twee first album. "Twee" then and there was considered a bit of a pejorative -- overly mannered, sentimental, pretty -- although especially in the indie community of the UK in the late 80s and the US in the 90s, eagerly embraced as a consciously alternative aesthetic. Me, I always assume that EVERYTHING David Bowie did (including renaming himself after an American knife) as a consciously alternative aesthetic, and I imply nothing pejorative.

The version later released as a single was very different: new vocal, and a new arrangement that included the addition of strings. It was well-received, but on the back of the single sleeve, the label wanted to underscore that it's a novelty tune, or, as they call it, "One of his own 'Winky' songs":

My favorite version of the song is the one he performed on Top Gear in December that year. On one hand, very stripped down, focusing on Bowie's live vocal, but also orchestrated in a way that sounds exactly like a live BBC radio broadcast orchestra.

If you get all the way through it, congratulations! LOL It might be worth an effort to try, just to confirm that, yeah, it sounds like that all the way through.

Maybe just listen to part of it, because I don't want you to wear yourself out before you hear THIS, which DEFINITELY needs to be heard all the way through.

The thing is that, in context, "Love You Till Tuesday" was very well received. Not well enough received to appear on the charts -- as indeed, had none of Bowie's singles, under various names. Even THIS single, as well-reviewed as it was, was released under the name of the musicians as a group: Dave, Derek, Dek & John. (What? No Oxford comma?!?)

(Worth noting: Bowie was coming to think that the only way he was going to make it was as part of a band, so he kept coming up with band names. As late as 1970, he was performing under the name The Hype, sometimes David Bowie & The Hype. He was right that his breakthrough would come as a member of a band: Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars.)

Meanwhile, back in 1969, his then-manager thought, well, the kid is developing some real flair , has a strong artistic vision-- let's do some promo films. So they scraped up the budget for 8 promos, to be released under the name of what was, now 2 years later, still the most famous, most highly-regarded one of them -- you already know it -- Love You Till Tuesday.

Right at the end, Dave says, let's do one more. I have an idea for my follow-up single to "Love You Till Tuesday," not quite finished but I promise, a good idea -- and let's put my girlfriend in it!

You know the song, "Space Oddity," even if you only know it as "Ground Control to Major Tom." Until Ziggy, this was the only song MOST people knew him for, and even for a while after.

BUT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD THIS VERSION BEFORE!!!

"Love You Till Tuesday" is a novelty tune, scored as if it were a particularly quaint cartoon -- and this version of "Space Oddity" sounds just like that!!!

And trust me, you've never seen this video. (The 1972 Mick Rock-directed remake starring Bowie as Ziggy was much more widely distributed.)

Here, our boy Dave acts out the parts of Ground Control (WEARING A HAT THAT SAYS GC, as in "Ground Control" in case you're not following along) as well as Major Tom, with some Ed Wood-worthy VFX and the aforementioned girlfriend dolled up in late 30s-early 40s Hollywood starlet glamour and huge hair.

Dave's hair here, it should be noted, is a wig. Despite being a founding member of The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Long-haired Men -- TRUE!!! -- he'd just cut his hair for an audition that he didn't win. From here of course, he'd grow his hair to glorious lengths rivaling my own LOL before scuplting it in spectacular fashion over the course of late 1971 to late 1972...but for now, there's this pretty hideous wig.

BUT YOU HAVE TO CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT. With no further ado, here then is the Love You Till Tuesday version of "Space Oddity." WATCH IT ALL.

And THAT, my dear old friend Jeremy, is my answer to the question of what to expect from Tuesdays.

BUT WAIT

What's that you say? Still not sure I'm not pulling your leg about the whole Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Long-haired Men thing? I assure you I am not. What on earth makes you think I would joke about hair, of all things?

Back in 1964, 17 year old Davy Jones laments on BBC Tonight that "for the past 2 years, we've had comments like 'Darling' and 'Can I carry your handbag?'" You will be STUNNED by this kid's self-possession and charisma, and will smile bemusedly -- as I'm sure he did later -- when considering just how thoroughly he would embrace gender-upending just a few years later.

You can easily find the full-length clip (four minutes or so long), but this excerpt is the highest quality, and includes all the best bits in the first minute.

Here's wishing you all a Happy Tuesday, whatever day of the week it is!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Tea leaves and b.s.: Tuesdays, David Bowie, and Love You Till Tuesday
on Jul 2, 2016 at 1:53:31 am

[Tim Wilson] "dear old friend Jeremy, is my answer to the question of what to expect from Tuesdays.
"

Stellar performance, sir. Thanks for the knowledge and humor.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jul 1, 2016 at 8:12:29 pm

The bummer I discovered after selling my trash can Mac is that Color Finale does not support tower Mac Pro's with aftermarket GPU's like the GTX 980 I have in mine and do not intend to. Sad as I liked working with it a lot.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 2, 2016 at 3:04:41 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Color Finale does not support tower Mac Pro's with aftermarket GPU's like the GTX 980 I have in mine and do not intend to. Sad as I liked working with it a lot."

Hmm, that's a shame, it worked with some PC version AMD cards, I wonder if Denver could fix that without too much hassle. (I know, software things are usually not that simple.)

Great article Lance. It's going in my set of links I send to nervous producers.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Jul 5, 2016 at 11:00:57 pm

Really? I have a 980Ti in an (upgraded) 2009 Mac Pro and it works fine with Color Final.....it must
depend on which version you have.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 5, 2016 at 7:46:50 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Tuesday is an interesting day to pick, isn't it? I mean I know there's a holiday Monday, but still, what do Tuesday's usually bring?"

Disappointment once again?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 5, 2016 at 9:42:36 pm

This is why I am now a pessimistic person. I will rarely be disappointed. Today brings no joy or disappointment. I like it that way.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:00:12 pm

At least my Adobe subscription gets me a constant stream of new and different things. I know FCPX updates are all free, but to be honest if they were more frequent and more dramatic I'd be happy to pay for them.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:16:04 pm

[Steve Connor] "Disappointment once again?"

You see, Steve, I am now managing my own disappointment. Instead of relying on an App Store to deliver (by not delivering) a weekly dose of unavailable, I am taking over and creating my own fantastical world of cyclical dismay.

You can sell me old tech by calling it new, but you can NOT control my shoe gazing affliction and general disposition towards emocore development.

I am the emocore. I am the disappointment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:33:32 pm

Like, 2 seconds after I sent this I got an email about Color Finale 1.5 being available for download.

:)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 5, 2016 at 10:40:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Like, 2 seconds after I sent this I got an email about Color Finale 1.5 being available for download.
"

Like the old bumper sticker says, "I feel so much better since I gave up hope."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]