FORUMS: list search recent posts

What people fail to realize...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Nichol
What people fail to realize...
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:12:16 pm

is that FCP X has been designed for the upcoming paradigm shift in desktop computing. The next generation Apple computer will have a 27" and larger touchscreen surface which moves between vertical and horizontal. The keyboard and the mouse will go the way of the floppy disk and CD slot. Editing will become a much more intuitive experience, a cross between the early visual experience of KEM and Steinbeck machines where the film strips traveled under your fingertips and how Tom Cruise moved things around in "Minority Report". You will be able to quickly re-arrange sequences and try things out. The whole process will be more tactile and intuitive. When these new machines come out in about 18 months time most of the missing things we like about FCP 7 will have been added. Here's the link to the patent:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/08/23/apple_filing_shows_touch_scre...

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: What people fail to realize...
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:21:35 pm

Touchscreens are not the end-all-be-all of user interaction.
If you edit for 9 hrs a day like I do, a touchscreen editing would be deadly. Your hands & fingers would a mess before to long.

Even on KEM & Steinbeck & Lightworks controllers, you wouldn't move your hands and fingers as much as you would with a Touch UI. Not to mention you would still need a keyboard to enter in all of that metadata. I am just as fact with my Wacom and keyboard on Smoke as I was on Lightworks.

"... don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed." - Vader

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:02:33 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "Touchscreens are not the end-all-be-all of user interaction.
If you edit for 9 hrs a day like I do, a touchscreen editing would be deadly. Your hands & fingers would a mess before to long."

not to mention your neck and back from hunching over the touchscreen all day.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:57:37 pm

[Matt Callac] "not to mention your neck and back from hunching over the touchscreen all day."

Think less upright display, more drafting table. Fullscreen mode in Lion could also be a portent of a convertible iMac with a Touch enabled display that could pivot into more of a horizontal orientation that is conducive to large-scale touch. I could imagine the act of pulling the display down to table mode would even automatically shift the active app to fullscreen touch mode, just like the iPad Smart Cover wakes its host from sleep on open.

It could happen.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 5, 2011 at 11:38:24 pm

[Andrew Richards] " I could imagine the act of pulling the display down to table mode would even automatically shift the active app to fullscreen touch mode...It could happen."

It has. The HP Touchsmart does this now, except it's not an either-or. Keyboard, mouse, touchscreen are all active, all the time. And the monitor reclines quite nicely, too.

You'll get the gist pretty quick, but it really is worth watching the whole two minutes. Why, you'll even see a couple of seconds worth of editing video being demoed at around 1:25.

You'll see that it's very, very consumer oriented, but you'll also see that there's no reason you couldn't use it for really advanced stuff too. Science/research seems obvious, but just one example. "Apple abandoning pros" notwithstanding, something like FCPX would sing on this.

In any case, it's hard to imagine that something like this isn't coming from Apple, and soon.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:08:29 am

[Tim Wilson] "In any case, it's hard to imagine that something like this isn't coming from Apple, and soon."

Pretty neat, wonder how pissed they apple is that someone beat them to the punch.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:22:32 pm

That looks cool. But gimmicky. In any given project I could have thousands of clips. Where will all these clips be? If I could get a monitor the size of a wall I think it could work.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:41:17 pm

I'm buying stock in Windex.

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:37:51 pm

Ampex had a linear editor that was touchscreen on a 20" monochrome monitor. It didn't work since the editor had his hands in the air all day. The monitor was vertical. No keyboard.

Quantel uses a pen interface to move clips around and make edits by cutting (swiping the pen across the frame boundaries).

So it could be interesting by combining both technologies.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 5, 2011 at 5:51:10 pm

I want electrodes into my brain that are installed by a Genius at the Apple Store in the mall. Then I'll float weightless in an isolation tank with a curved display screen filling the top, and magically magnetically shuffle clips at astonishing speeds. Just change my water on a weekly basis.....

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:37:16 pm

ROTFL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:08:41 pm

Still not that comfortable to edit all day looking down. I think the answer is a massage table. Yup. We lay on our stomach looking through that little donut at the touch screen. Wouldn't hurt to get a massage while we're at it as well.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:38:25 pm

I could go for that! Especially if I'm working on comedy, since comedy is so dependent on happy endings.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:00:29 pm

I did edit with a touchscreen Ampex ACE and it worked. I preferred the keyboard version or a 9100 editor altogether but it worked, and really well when hooking VPR 3s and Ampex switcher to it. The integration was only second to the Sony range.

As for Quantel's interface it is very fast for quick assembly editing (like news), but a bit of a pain when it comes to trimming, splitting edits and so on, at least on the Editbox it was.

Patrice

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:33:10 am

wow.... I bet you & I are in a very small crowd... those who've edited on both ACE & Editbox/Henry. I used to have a bunch of CMX editors looking down their noses at my ACE suite, but when I showed off what I could do with the ACE programmable touchscreen macros (hooked into Ampex D2 machines, triggering hexadecimal machine commands that were part of the edit template), that turned some heads! lol.... the old days....

and remember what it was like when you were in a hurry & ended up with like 20 or so versions/precomps on the Quantel desktop, BEFORE they came out with the visual clip naming? trying to figure WHERE THE HE## that clip is??? lol....

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-AFX-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500/AF100

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:03:53 am

Check out:

at 8:35. Ampex touchscreen editing with D-2.

And I have edited on Ampex ACE, Grass VPE-141, 151, Accom Axial, Sony RM-450, Quantel Hal and Editbox along with Avid and FCP.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:11:10 am

oh funny! my old boss at HBO, and I recognize the editor too. (Charles)

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-AFX-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500/AF100

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:46:28 pm

[Doug Nichol] "You will be able to quickly re-arrange sequences and try things out. The whole process will be more tactile and intuitive. When these new machines come out in about... "

Humour?

You can already do this with iMovie on the iPad2. its a nightmare. Clumsy, (and what do you mean sequences? There are no sequenceS). The touch pad is hardly responsive and its worse than those FIDO ads where the voice-recognition robot assumes that you are a satisfied customer, when what is being expressed is psychotic incoherent death threats. I often wonder if Douglas Adams was thinking of Apple when he characterized the Sirius Cybernetics company -- the bunch of mindless jerks who were the first against the wall when the revolution came.

I also get a kick out of people who use the work "paradigm" as if they knew what it meant, and no it doesn't mean 'new user interface'. While you're at it look up the Wiki article on the word "hubris". I can think of a new example which illustrates it more accurately than the latest calculation of "pi". And those "tau" people are just being silly, IMHO. But Pluto isn't a planet, anymore either, is it?
Bazinga.

jP (Sheldon Cooper, PhD) o

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:06:19 am

[Joseph Owens] "I also get a kick out of people who use the work "paradigm" as if they knew what it meant, and no it doesn't mean 'new user interface'. "

No, the fact is that some people disagree on whether the "back to basics" nature of FCP X IS just a "new user interface"

From OED:

paradigm

(ˈpærədɪm, -daɪm)

Also 7 -digme.

[a. F. paradigme, ad. L. paradīgma, a. Gr. παράδειγµα pattern, example, f. παραδεικνύ-ναι to exhibit beside, show side by side. Formerly also in L. form.]

1. a.1.a A pattern, exemplar, example.

1483 Caxton Gold. Leg. 208/1 We now haue none enterpretour of the parablys ne paradygmes.    1576 Fleming Panopl. Epist. B j, Giue me a paradigme or example, of a deliberatiue kinde of epistle.    1669 Gale Crt. Gentiles i. iii. iii. 45 The Universe‥was made exactly conformable to its Paradigme, or universal Exemplar.    1752 J. Gill Trinity v. 91 The archetype, paradigm, exemplar, and idea, according to which all things were made.    1875 Jowett Plato (ed. 2) IV. 133 Socrates makes one more attempt to defend the Platonic ideas by representing them as paradigms.

b.1.b attrib., as paradigm case, a case or instance to be regarded as representative or typical.

1955 J. L. Austin How to do Things with Words (1962) xi. 132 We were content to refer to ‘statements’ as the typical or paradigm case.    1962 Listener 4 Oct. 516/1 Plato's morality is supported and underlined by his theory of Forms, according to which mathematics is the paradigm case of knowledge.    1965 Mod. Law Rev. XXVIII. 509 The paradigm case at first instance—the core situation—appears to absorb so much attention that little concern is expended on the appeal process.    1974 Jrnl. Philos. LXXI. 337 Nagel employs a fairly standard ‘paradigm case argument’ in his analysis.    1977 Canad. Jrnl. Linguistics XXII. i. 13 A paradigm case is Anderson's description of Breton vowel lowering.

†2.2 Rhet. (In L. form.) See quot. Obs.

1586 A. Day Eng. Secretary ii. (1625) 100 Paradigma, a manner of exhorting or with-drawing by example, as to say‥‘the nature of the Dolphin is not to suffer the yong one of her kinde to straggle vndefenced’.    1589 Puttenham Eng. Poesie iii. xix. (Arb.) 252 margin, Paradigma, or a resemblance by example.

3. a.3.a An example or pattern of the inflexion of a noun, verb, or other inflected part of speech.

1599 Minsheu Span. Gram. 20 Now it remaineth to giue a Paradigma or example of euery Coniugation of their Moodes.    1698 Wallis in Phil. Trans. XX. 358 It will be convenient‥to Write him out a full Paradigm of some one Verb.    1859 Max Müller Sc. Lang. (1861) 81 Paradigms of regular and irregular nouns and verbs.    1892 Davidson Hebr. Gram. 72 Skeleton paradigm of the regular verb.

b.3.b transf. and fig.

1929 C. Day Lewis Transitional Poem ii. 25, I would be pædagogue—hear poplar, lime And oak recite the seasons' paradigm.    1964 Listener 6 Aug. 200/2 If one uses the word ‘paradigm’ as Wittgenstein himself used it, to denote a logical or conceptual structure serving us as a form of thought within a given area of experience.    1966 A. F. Parker-Rhodes in Automatic Transl. of Lang. (NATO Summer School, Venice, 1962) 173 The concept of paradigm thus enables us to approach the problem of mathematizing the process of syntactic description with greatly enhanced resources.    1970 Eng. Stud. LI. 18 Although Ohmann determines objective criteria to state the similarity (and at the same time the dissimilarity), there still remains a whole paradigm of related structures out of which the author has to choose the particular alternative(s) to match the marked term with.    Ibid. 46 But, of course, for her Edwardian family life is a convenient paradigm of civilisation as a whole.    1973 C. Sagan Cosmic Connection (1974) xxiii. 155 There is a generation of men and women for whom‥the Moon was the paradigm of the unattainable.    1973 Times Lit. Suppl. 2 Mar. 238/4 The unfolding of terror and duplicity which follows is easily seen as a paradigm of the suppression of Dubček's liberalizing administration.    1973 Nature 6 July 59/3 The use of induced epilepsy as an ‘interfering technique’ in the study of learning and memory paradigms.    1975 Language LI. 1009 The publication of Chomsky's Syntactic structures provided a new paradigm for linguistics.    1976 T. Eagleton Crit. & Ideology i. 19 In the drive for order, proportion and propriety, the demand for socially cohesive categories of Nature and Reason,‥history once again selects criticism as both paradigm and instrument of such a project.    1976 Language LII. 286 As for the periods in between the quantum leaps, Kuhn contends that each period of normal science in the development of a scientific discipline corresponds to one and only one methodological framework or paradigm. In a nut⁓shell, paradigms are ‘universally recognized scientific achievements that for a time provide model problems and solutions to a community of practitioners’.    1976 F. Zweig New Acquisitive Society ii. x. 132 The television set‥is the paradigm of consumer culture, with its disarming passivity prone to desires divorced from action.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:32:01 am

I want to see that suite of touchscreens at lunchtime, when the pizza gets brought in and the client leans over my shoulder and says I want the cut right "there" [smear].

The engineering department will be reduced to the Windex department. There will be rules about what you can and can't have for lunch. Salad...ok...tuna sub...forget it...cheese-itz snack...are you nuts? Dead pixels will no longer have any meaning, because they will be obscured by food particles and schmutz.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:04:15 am

Yes. I too see limited functionality in touch screen. But I'm old.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jul 6, 2011 at 9:53:21 am

typing on a touchscreen is awful (looking at you iphone). End of story

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 7, 2011 at 4:51:33 am

There is a much smarter approach to a touchscreen. Take a look at the Fairlight Xynergi controller.

http://au.fairlight.com.au/product/xynergi/

It is dedicated hardware with jog wheels and dedicated numeric keypad and transport controls. Everything else is a screen displayed under a bank of buttons that operate like a keyboard, but every key can be instantly remapped by the edit mode you chose.

The hands in the air Theramin style controller like in Minority Report is not the best ergonomics for editing. You know touchscreens that beep are outdated. Just watch Star Trek Next Gen. The iPad just makes me wonder how many trekkies are in R&D at Apple. The less the better for mine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]