FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple is discontinuing the only monitor it makes, the Thunderbolt Display

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Jun 24, 2016 at 1:26:07 am

Apple officially discontinues Thunderbolt Display, points users towards third-party options
http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/23/apple-discontinues-thunderbolt-display/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/23/12020510/apple-thunderbolt-display-discon...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Apple is discontinuing the only monitor it makes, the Thunderbolt Display
on Jun 24, 2016 at 1:43:43 am

No market for them except with nMP customers. Even if there are plenty of nMP sales, that's still not enough to warrant a separate production run of displays. Just pass that off to LG.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 24, 2016 at 2:20:41 am

[Oliver Peters] "Even if there are plenty of nMP sales, that's still not enough to warrant a separate production run of displays. Just pass that off to LG."

The other possibility is that since they are making 5K iMacs with a special interface device to connect to the logic board, to bring an external display to market with the same screen they need thunderbolt 3 to drive a 5K monitor.

If they do come out with a new display, the holdup was probably Thunderbolt 3.

Since there aren't any macs available at this time that can run a 5K external display, that might mean something is coming.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 24, 2016 at 2:44:40 am

Apple was still selling monitors?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 24, 2016 at 3:06:20 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Apple was still selling monitors?"

Ha!

Yes, really really old ones.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 24, 2016 at 3:17:06 am

I want to agree that Apple is probably making the way for a 5K monitor, but if that's the case while kill the ThB one now and point people towards LG as opposed to rolling out a 5K monitor as part of a across the board hardware refresh w/ThB 3?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 24, 2016 at 3:40:24 am

[Andrew Kimery] "while kill the ThB one now and point people towards LG as opposed to rolling out a 5K monitor as part of a across the board hardware refresh w/ThB 3?"

Selling a display that isn't a direct 1:1 match to their best iMacs is possibly why.

The other thing is the LG panel that display uses may not be available anymore. The Monoprice display that used them was also discontinued months ago.

The 5K iMac was a stopgap product anyway seeing how they had to invent a proprietary hardware device to get the 5K feed from the GPU because the display protocol wasn't ready yet.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 24, 2016 at 4:24:35 am

[Darren Roark] "The other thing is the LG panel that display uses may not be available anymore. The Monoprice display that used them was also discontinued months ago.
"

Ah, supply issue would make sense of the odd timing.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 24, 2016 at 10:56:50 am

[Darren Roark] "Since there aren't any macs available at this time that can run a 5K external display, that might mean something is coming."

I doubt it. The wording of their response doesn't lead one to think that's likely. Besides, the market for a second 5K display on an iMac is infinitesimal in Apple terms.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jun 24, 2016 at 5:20:19 am
Last Edited By Mark Raudonis on Jun 24, 2016 at 5:21:07 am

Am I the only one who actually liked them? A t-bolt monitor paired with an iMac makes a wonderful
dual monitor edit station. We have a ton of them.

Of course they never actually lined up perfectly. You had to raise one about a half inch to get a clean horizontal alignment.

Oh well. The minute you buy something from Apple it's already EOL.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 24, 2016 at 7:36:26 am

[Mark Raudonis] "Oh well. The minute you buy something from Apple it's already EOL."

The minute you buy anything from anybody it's Obsolete/EOL. You really think they won't replace it with... something?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 24, 2016 at 11:32:35 am

I also really doubt they will make something new.

They never discontinued their old displays until they brought out the Thunderbolt display. They never discontinued the Thunderbolt display, even if it still had USB2 and Firewire 800. Why discontinue them now? If the 5K display is coming, why make the extra step of discontinuing it NOW and telling people that there are other options?

To be honest, if Apple doesn't make their own displays anymore, it would make me sad. I did love the Thunderbolt displays, and the old Apple displays. And with the 5K iMac, I thought they would love to make those displays in mass production too, with Thunderbolt 3 arriving.
It does strengthen the image that they don't care that much about their computer-business anymore, wether I agree with it or not.
And I really hope I am wrong, and Apple comes out with a new display.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 24, 2016 at 12:16:50 pm

Before we get too sentimental about Apple getting out of the display business, I would like to remind everyone that the power-supply-i/o-dongle that came with the Apple cinema display was perhaps the worst designed, least ergonomic piece of hardware to be created by a company not immediately going into bankruptcy in modern history. Maybe this is for the best.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 24, 2016 at 4:15:05 pm

[Herb Sevush] "the power-supply-i/o-dongle that came with the Apple cinema display was perhaps the worst designed, least ergonomic piece of hardware to be created by a company not immediately going into bankruptcy in modern history. Maybe this is for the best."

My brother-in-law worked for Apple for a dozen-ish years -- the SJ interregnum through just past the turn of the century. Bright fella, with razor-sharp business discipline, so when product lines were underperforming, he went to analyze them, and more often than not, kill 'em. He became known as The Angel of Death.

I know there were a bunch of 'em, but the lines I can remember him axing off the top of my head are the digital camera (terrible), scanners (terrible), printers (the early ones were terrific, by the end of the road, not so much), and CRT-era monitors.

Those last CRT monitors were hideous. Do you remember the 17AV? I was doing video production, the core market for that monitor, right?, hence the AV, so he sent me one to test. I brushed past it one day and it shot an ARC out of it -- a 2-inch bolt that hit me so hard I fell over and for a moment, I couldn't even see. I knew my wiring wasn't the culprit, so I got a little closer while seated in my rolling chair, and BANG! It was only a half-inch arc this time because I was closer...

....so I got on the phone and politely, quietly, and with no profanity (HAHAHAHAHA) asked what's the haps. He said, "Yeah, I was afraid of that. It kept happening here in house, so I wanted to check it in the field." Thanks for the warning, man.

But there's not one of those products that didn't need to die. They ALL needed to die, and the world is better for it.

The last thing my boy axed (that I remember) before he left was slots in Mac towers. He was a direct report to Steve, who somewhere around the turn of the century (one of you will surely remember when) tasked him with finding out how many slots were in use by the average Mac customer. He determined the number to be 1.1. Steve said fine, we round it up to 1.5, double it, so 3 slots it is, and no need to worry about supporting third-party external chassis anymore.

Anyway, this doesn't feel like a big deal to me. In an iMac/laptop world, Apple actually could have done this a few years ago and it wouldn't have really mattered to them, or most of their customers. My guess is that they made this decision a good long while ago, and only announced it when stockpiles grew so low that there was no longer any reason not to announce it. Blow out the last ones to people who want to get 'em while they can.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Jun 24, 2016 at 6:50:15 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/06/24/thunderbolt-display-integrated-gpu/

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 24, 2016 at 6:14:59 pm

I'll play contrarian to many of these comments. I've been using Cinema Displays since day one. Still have a 30" in active use. I've always felt that they were superior to third party options for a very long time. Still not sure I've seen anything better out there. If you have a recommendation I'd love to hear it... always needing monitors. Especially if you have a 4K option that is worth a damn. Lots of crap out there. Want good, not cheap.

Apple, IMO, painted themselves into a corner. There was no reason for a 5K iMac. What was the point? There still isn't a point. Where's the 5K footage? Where's the 5K TV's?

I could understand a 4K iMac... that would make sense. Once they made a 5K iMac, I knew there would be no 4K monitor. The nMP can't use a 5K display, so if they made one, it would infuriate the people who spent a fortune on the nMP's. Making a 4K iMac and a 4K display would have made everyone happy. Maybe the same people that made the decision on the rollout for FCP X were in charge of the monitor program?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 24, 2016 at 6:22:30 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Apple, IMO, painted themselves into a corner. There was no reason for a 5K iMac. What was the point?"

Ability to view 4K footage at 1:1 but still have room for an app on screen? Ex. you are using After Effects and you can view 4K 1:1 and still have room for some GUI. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. Other than just a bigger number for marketing reasons.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 24, 2016 at 6:25:35 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Other than just a bigger number for marketing reasons."

That's what I think it was all about...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 24, 2016 at 7:50:27 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. Other than just a bigger number for marketing reasons."

In order to get a 'retina' display at a simulated 1440 with 4:1 pixels you need it to be 5K. A UHD 4K monitor is only "Retina" in a 1080 view setting.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Monitor with integrated GPU coming next?
on Jun 24, 2016 at 7:18:00 pm

Apple monitor with integrated GPU still expected following discontinued Thunderbolt Display
http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/24/apple-display-integrated-gpu-discontinued-thu...

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
Re: Monitor with integrated GPU coming next?
on Jun 24, 2016 at 8:33:59 pm

I wonder whether that gpu display will be just for the display or that it can be used for editing purposes as well. If the gpu would be able to work along side the nMP gpu's that would be quite nice.

André
yourguitarworkshop.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 24, 2016 at 10:00:02 pm

Cool link, thanks Craig!

I think that the first comment on that article gets it right though. If Apple's solution was truly imminent, they might have at least waved a hand at it, like Timmy C did with the Mac Pro. Nothing super-specific, nothing with a firm date, but that general "stay tuned" message kept a lot of people waiting around for a long time. The parallel here could have been, "Hey, we're working on something slick, but in the meantime, third party solutions abound"...but no.

I dunno. I'm not making any predictions, but it really wouldn't shock me to see them get as completely out of the standalone display business as they did the printer business. Focus their energy on supporting the product lines that are of interest to the largest part of their customer base, and making Apple the most money: integrated displays for devices AND computers.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 24, 2016 at 11:50:53 pm

Well said and is in line with my theory, not of the conspiracy variety,

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 25, 2016 at 12:42:02 am

[Tim Wilson] " but it really wouldn't shock me to see them get as completely out of the standalone display business as they did the printer business"

I wouldn't expect any more displays either. Tim Cook is a true believer in the post-PC world for the average user. He knows, of course, that his customers still will buy plenty of iMacs and MacBook/MacBook Pros for many more years. However, my guess is that the forward-thinking design planning at Apple is targeting the tablet+cloud as the primary platform.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 25, 2016 at 1:29:39 am

[Oliver Peters] "my guess is that the forward-thinking design planning at Apple is targeting the tablet+cloud as the primary platform."

Makes sense to me, but I also think that there's a lot of life left in iMacs.

You know what they need, though, is a touch screen. Mac people poo-poo this, but I'm tellin' ya, after using one on a PC for the last couple of years, computing without a touch screen feels like computing without a mouse -- it can be done, but the people actually doing it are mostly dour old men trying to prove a point. LOL

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 28, 2016 at 10:49:54 am

[Tim Wilson] "You know what they need, though, is a touch screen. Mac people poo-poo this, but I'm tellin' ya, after using one on a PC for the last couple of years, computing without a touch screen feels like computing without a mouse -- it can be done, but the people actually doing it are mostly dour old men trying to prove a point. LOL"

Yes! My main portable computer is a Surface Pro 3. I didn't think I'd use touch that much, but I find that I pretty freely mix the touchscreen/trackpad/mouse for pointing.

My MBP has fingerprints all over the screen from where I've tried to interact with it.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jun 25, 2016 at 3:26:25 pm

One thing that doesn't get talked about that much with Apple is quality.

I started buying their products because they last, and are well made along with the OS

I have an Apple monitor and have had no problems with it (as far as it working) and that's how I like it . I don't mind paying a little more if it's going to work.

I lost my Apple phone charging cord and bought a third party one. Complete junk.

Grrrrrr

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 25, 2016 at 3:42:22 pm

[Tony West] "I have an Apple monitor and have had no problems with it (as far as it working) and that's how I like it "

I've always preferred their monitors over other choices, too. However, Apple doesn't make their own panels and these will age and become discolored the same whether it's an Apple, LG, Dell, etc. For Apple, it just doesn't make any sense anymore to build their versions. The only market for it is the Mac Pro and that's a minuscule portion of the market. Obviously there are also customers using these as secondary displays with iMacs and MBPs, but that's got to be an even smaller segment than those needing one monitor on a Mac Pro.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Jun 25, 2016 at 6:51:37 pm

[Oliver Peters] " However, Apple doesn't make their own panels and these will age and become discolored the same whether it's an Apple, LG, Dell, etc"

They may not make them but when they put their name on something they oversee the quality of it.

The term you get what you pay for comes to mind. If it's cheaper to buy it will usually fall apart.

I don't who made that phone charger cord and don't really care. I just know it came apart in no time and will not ever buy from that company again.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 25, 2016 at 6:56:56 pm

[Tony West] "They may not make them but when they put their name on something they oversee the quality of it."

There are only a few companies worldwide that make panels. Apple has no control over their manufacture, however, based on volume, they get the ability to pick the top of the batch. That probably applies to phones, but I'm not sure about monitor panels. Obviously they have direct control over the housing, via Foxconn.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 26, 2016 at 12:22:29 am

Is it worth noting that at the coming FCP X Creative Summit next October, Dell is one of the primary sponsors?

Aren't they pretty big with their Ultrasharps?

More swirling tea leaves to read and "unsupported anything other than speculation" conclusions ahead!

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 28, 2016 at 5:16:37 am

The Dell monitors were one of the highlights for me at NAB this year. I'm using "pro" LG's now and one died recently, something I've never had happen to a monitor before. I just hope I can plug a new Dell into my Mac and continue using FCPX...? I get the gut feeling that Apple will soon eol Mac Pro's thus ending the support and interest in anything "pro" including FCPX... I hope I'm wrong.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 28, 2016 at 7:42:43 am
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Jun 28, 2016 at 7:46:59 am

[Lance Bachelder] "The Dell monitors were one of the highlights for me at NAB this year. "

I used to laugh at Dell for many, many years. Not anymore. My die-hard Apple days extend back to 1979, but I gotta tell ya, my Dell XPS 15 laptop is by far my all-time favorite piece of computing hardware. I find it very easy to believe that a lot of Dell monitors will be making their way into studios that previously never would have considered Dell for nuthin'...even if for folks not me, a the Windows-ness of a Dell computer remains out of the running forever.

[Lance Bachelder] "Mac Pro's thus ending the support and interest in anything "pro""

Do you not consider iMacs doable for pro work? I'm not arguing with you. I'm just asking because, unlike me, you actually work for a living. :-)

And I'm sure seeing a bunch of 'em on the What is your work computer / home computer? thread.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 28, 2016 at 8:09:10 am

iMac's are great for most work but on my last feature we wanted to stay native 4K .r3d and not use proxies. We were able to do this with a new Mac Pro easily. Maybe the top-of-the-line iMac would have handled it as the raid array was a huge factor in driving the files at real-time but I didn't have one to test. The issue with an iMac is the GPU - so much processing is handed off to the GPU these days in most of the NLE's so having the dual D700's with 6GB memory each in the Mac Pro really helped especially when it came to color timing. This is what makes PC's so attractive right now with the new GTX 1080 and a free version of Resolve there may be no need for a new Mac Pro.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 28, 2016 at 11:13:24 am

This +1

Mac Pro performance with raw 4k, 5k and 6k media is fantastic. It isn't with iMac.

I've seen nothing but great value for money from the Mac Pros we have bought and really hope that apple brings out a high res monitor to replace as I still love the thunderbolt display.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 28, 2016 at 11:18:29 am

[Tom Sefton] "I've seen nothing but great value for money from the Mac Pros we have bought and really hope that apple brings out a high res monitor to replace as I still love the thunderbolt display."

Tom, just out of curiosity, is the nMP small form factor important to you (I do prefer wheeling my nMP around compared to a big Z-series), or could you also benefit from a larger, more serviceable option?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 28, 2016 at 11:41:41 am

Good question.

We've got our own studio space and we don't really have to worry about the increased size from something the size of the trashcan to the cheese grater, so if the Mac Pro was larger, it would be fine.

But having something small enough to either rack mount or put into a peli case as a custom DIT station is fantastic. I've packed some for long haul projects, along with a G Tech Raid and a single peli case holds this along with a monitor which is brilliant for on-set work and rendering.

I suppose it's something I haven't really thought about before - you make space on your desk for however large your edit machine is...

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:40:22 pm

[Tom Sefton] "I've seen nothing but great value for money from the Mac Pros we have bought and really hope that apple brings out a high res monitor to replace as I still love the thunderbolt display."

+1

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 28, 2016 at 4:40:25 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I used to laugh at Dell for many, many years."

You should have... they were TERRIBLE for a good long while. I think their products started getting better after they went back to being a private company.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 28, 2016 at 6:22:34 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I think their products started getting better after they went back to being a private company. "

That has worked for a number of companies. Heck, I think it'd work for Avid, but nobody asked me.

Speaking of Avid and Dell, when I was at Avid, I remember one round of QA where Dell machines kept burning out. Turns out that a batch of bad glue was causing fans to fall off, so they were winding up at the bottom of the box, blowing at nothing in particular, not really cooling anything. COMING UNGLUED. That's weak, man.

Nowadays, who knows? If I had an mbp with the price-performance, finish, display quality and overall feature completeness of my Dell, I might still be using the mbp. LOL Okay, probably not. LOL

BUT STILL. Yes, Dell quality is a new thing that I personally was never expecting, but it's an actual thing.

[Walter Soyka] "My MBP has fingerprints all over the screen from where I've tried to interact with it."

I have some Mac folks in my life and one of 'em was sitting next to me when I touched my screen to scroll through an online takeout menu. They're all "Ooo, that's cool!" and touching my screen to scroll, zoom in, etc. -- then turned back to their mbp to keep working...and reflexively touched their own screen to do the pinch-zoom thing after they'd just done it on my Dell. D'oh!

I wasn't even going to say anything, but they laughed and fessed up: once you know you can do this, you WANT to. It's how you're used to interacting with Apple stuff.

Apple is surely working on this, right? RIGHT?

And somebody is already working on their comment to add to the review of Apple's latest innovation coup, about how touchscreens on computers are just the latest example of Windo$e ripping off Apple. LOL

I'm obviously kidding, but it really is crazy to me that Apple hasn't put 'em on laptops at the very, very least.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 29, 2016 at 5:56:07 pm

How many here are still using the Apple Cinema 30's?

We have 4 left of the 12 from initial purchase (eons ago).
I found two online for my home just recently at a crazy price.
I use em on cMP and nMPs.
We still have the Cinema 24s on other cMP and they work fine.
Plus a few Thunderbolt ones that the graphics people hate (reflective).
I welcome anything they offer but if we have to go another route then I better write up a good case study for the Eizo's as replacement ;)

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 29, 2016 at 6:42:30 pm

[Eric Santiago] "How many here are still using the Apple Cinema 30's?"

Still using it... there's value for you. Cost way less over the time I've had it, than an MS Office subscription costs today...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 30, 2016 at 1:23:23 pm

[Eric Santiago] "How many here are still using the Apple Cinema 30's?"

I still have an ancient Apple Cinema Display 30" on an assist workstation, but I don't trust it for anything critical anymore. It's dimmed a lot, its linearity has suffered, it exhibits a subtle but strange "shadowing" under areas of high-contrast, shows temporary persistence (like CRT burn-in) after holding an image for a while, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's also discolored a bit.

I certainly got my money's worth, but it doesn't even come close to any of the other monitors we have today (a few Samsung UD970, LG 34UM95, and HP ZR30w units). Technology has advanced and the Apple Cinema Display 30" (and the other competing 30" monitors of its quality and vintage) has aged.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]