FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is your work computer / home computer?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Walker
What is your work computer / home computer?
on Jun 22, 2016 at 6:18:33 pm

A little poll here:
What is your work computer? Your home computer? Are they one and the same? How many of you edit on a laptop to make a living? Do you work for a facility with Mac Pros (nMP or legacy) or iMacs, and then take work home sometimes?
How manys spend a day (or night) at the office, and never edit at home, spending time with family, hobbies, and other pursuits?

I'll start:
Main work computer is a 2012 27"iMac with an OWC 12TB USB 3 raid attached.
Home: 2008 Mac Pro (8core) with 2 LaCie Esata Raids.
I borrow my daughter's 13" MBP to edit on the road.

Just curious.

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: What is your work computer / home computer?
on Jun 22, 2016 at 7:11:01 pm

You should borrow your daughter's computer to edit at home too! :)

I have the same 2012 iMac for my home editing. It's probably been 3 years since I edited a project with anything but X. Flanders LM series monitor for video. BMD ultra studio or t-tap for sdi out to the flanders. A second Dell 22" monitor for the event browser. Pegasus 4 raid. Variety of other usb 3 drives / raids for backup and such. Old MA-12 speakers that used to belong to an avid suite in the 90s for speakers.

My wife's laptop must be our home computer because as far as the IRS is concerned the iMac is for business only. :)

Some weeks/months I'm editing 10-12 hours a day stopping only to pick up kids at school or the bus stop. Often they're right there next to me on my old 2006 Mac Pro 1,1playing angry birds or watching something horrible on YouTube.

I don't edit on the road, but we have a 2012 MacBook Pro that still runs X pretty well even if it is an i5. I can always rely on that as an emergency backup or to edit on a shoot if need be.

I'm looking for a laptop and a new iMac in the next 6-12 months.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 22, 2016 at 9:54:12 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jun 22, 2016 at 9:55:03 pm

Work- Late 2012 iMac i7 Maxed Ram and Fusion Drive. GB Enet to Pegasus and Fibrenetix RAID

Home- 2015 Retina iMac i7 Maxed Ram and Fusion with a bunch of random T-Bolt drives hanging off it
-------- -2011 13'' MBA

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Jun 22, 2016 at 9:57:46 pm
Last Edited By Dominic Deacon on Jun 22, 2016 at 10:00:51 pm

Mines a cheap, overclocked PC I built myself. Got all the pieces at bargain prices from slightly dodgy grey market sources (but still under warranty). Was a bit worried as it was my first time putting one together but turned out to be incredibly easy and has never once crashed in 6 months use which is a record for me.
i7 running at 4.5ghz
gtx 970
32gb of ddr4 RAM
solid state drive for the operating system and 3tb hardrive internal for important stuff with a ton of external harddrives, that are not managed half as well as they should be, all hanging around on the back of the desk. Maybe not the fastest kit ever built but, hey, it can run an occulus rift and I don't think a $12k mac pro is up to the job.

Work computer and home computer are the same. I've tried laptops and tablets but I don't have the patience to use anything that's not always fast.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 23, 2016 at 3:58:58 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 23, 2016 at 4:01:05 am

All other computers retired.

I now do everything on this rig.

Mid 2015 Retina MBPro. Topped out w/memory and 1TB SSD. ASUS External Monitor.

I'm cranking out FAR more content with this rig than I was ever able to to accomplish on any other system I've ever owned. I cut for two days at NAB on a maxed out and lovely brand new iMac, and it was equally excellent for editing, but neither system slows me down a bit in productivity. So for me, it's portability FTW. Nice to be able to set up editing in 10 minutes anywhere and get to work.

YMMV.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 24, 2016 at 12:51:09 am

So the ASUS External Monitor holds the viewer and no viewer is on the lap top? Does this require a third party driver? This does allow for more vertical space for the timeline which I really like having. Are you using any breakout box cause I see you have speakers too. What about storage, no raid/media drive?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 26, 2016 at 12:17:44 am

[Craig Alan] "So the ASUS External Monitor holds the viewer and no viewer is on the lap top? Does this require a third party driver? This does allow for more vertical space for the timeline which I really like having. Are you using any breakout box cause I see you have speakers too. What about storage, no raid/media drive?"

The X interface is switchable so that you can either have your Event window there OR your Monitor window.

That means if you set it to Event you get LOTS of room for visual clip icons or a very large spreadsheet display.

If you switch it into main screen monitor mode, all the screens you normally have in the viewer get switched to the second screen. That means full monitor if you're in that mode, monitor and viewer if you choose that mode, or monitor, scopes and viewer if you select that mode. It's not "perfectly flexible" but it's plenty for the way I like to edit, which is typically with the second monitor disconnected unless I'm working with a client or two over my shoulder or engaged in something where the extra real estate is useful like logging where a huge event browser can be really nice.

Like my prior editing setups where the rig stayed largely fixed - I find I change the second display quite a bit depending on whether I'm working the front end Browser stuff or the back end Program stuff.

YMMV. Just how I do it.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 23, 2016 at 12:26:08 pm

Work - 2010 Mac Pro, dual quad core, 64 gig Ram, nVidia 680 attached to a bunch of external Raid 5's, Dual 23" monitors and a Flanders Video Monitor.

This is my home office. I never edit on the road. I never edit with a laptop.

My home computers are Windows 10; a Dell desktop and an old HP Laptop. At one point I tried switching to OSX for home use but Quicken for Mac quickly disabused me of that notion.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 23, 2016 at 2:45:25 pm

Late 2013 Mac Pro for road and home. Henge docking system for home setup, same computer. Apple 24" LED Cinema Display. Pegasus R6 12tb raid array.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 23, 2016 at 3:39:45 pm

Cheese grater Mac Pro thinking about the 5K iMac later this year. Not sure how Resolve will run on the new machine so still deciding. Most of my editing will be done in Final Cut with Resolve, possibly Fusion, being used for color grading and finishing. Any feedback on an ideal system to get great performance out of Resolve is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 23, 2016 at 5:31:28 pm

[David Mathis] "Cheese grater Mac Pro"

If it's a 2009 or later you might be better off upgrading the one you have to a 12c dual GPU setup that would leave my maxed out nMP 12c in the dust with Resolve. (You can install 2X 6c CPUs which actually run faster for some tasks than a single 12c chip)

Depending on what GPUs you get you could save a decent amount over a 5K iMac. (You would not have the awesome screen though)

If eGPUs become a thing in the mac world you would want an iMac with Thunderbolt 3 which is just starting to show up.

The upgrade itself isn't that difficult if you've built a PC before, otherwise any local computer repair shop should be able to handle the CPU swap.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Jun 23, 2016 at 3:45:32 pm

Work:
For editorial:
nMP 8-core/64gbRAM/500gb/2xD700
HP Dreamcolor z27x for GUI
Flanders CM240 for fullscreen/grading & BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor
Dell 24 for additional scopes etc.
Promise R6 RAID for Media & OWC Thunderbay 4 disk raid for Time Machine
KRK Rokit 8 Monitors

2012 MacBook Pro & 30" Cinema Display (business)

Home: my wife's 17" 2009 MacBook Pro
I don't work at home, so it's just email and farting around

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jun 23, 2016 at 6:48:21 pm

Studio: 2015 5k iMac
Home: 2013 27" iMac
Office: 2015 15" HP Z-Book with 4k monitor

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jun 23, 2016 at 8:53:39 pm

Work - a bunch of 2013 Mac Pros - d700s and max ram. iMac 27. 2 HP X series PCs, Mac mini, 4 3 g tech studio xl raids, g tech portable raid

Home - MacBook Pro retina, MacBook Air

Love those new Mac pros!

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jun 24, 2016 at 5:48:15 pm

Work:
- nMP 2013 8-core / D700 / 64 GB / 1TB, external 8-big 24 TB RAID-5 + 1TB SSD - both Thunderbolt, Ultra Studio 4K, 2x27" EIZO CG + 1x24" SONY OLED

Home:
- iMac 27" 2012 i7 / GTX 680MX / 32 GB / 1 TB Fusion Drive, external USB3 256 GB SSD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]