FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software update available!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hancock
Software update available!
on Jun 21, 2016 at 1:34:22 pm

For Adobe. They just released their a big update to CC2015 (in the middle of 2016 - LOL). Proxy editing has been brought to Premiere!

Hopefully Apple isn't far behind with an update of their own.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Software update available!
on Jun 21, 2016 at 2:18:34 pm

Click bait! Just kidding. I am guessing we might not see an update until the new version of OS is available. Time will tell.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:42:14 pm

Isn't that what we said with El Cap? And Yosemite?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 21, 2016 at 2:43:11 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Proxy editing has been brought to Premiere!
"

Way to catch up, Adobe!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 21, 2016 at 2:46:49 pm

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features.html?code=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 21, 2016 at 3:08:23 pm

One other oddity. Since Premiere is not my heavy lifting editor, I downloaded and installed the update. As usual, I am required to sign in on my account. However, when I select the sign in option it takes to to a free trial page and says no subscription was found with my Adobe ID, which it just showed me on the page before. Could be local, operator error but if you use Adobe as your main editor, you might want to check this out first before installing the upgrade. Or is this normal?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2016 at 3:29:38 pm

Did you sign in first to your CC account using the CC desktop app? Then did you run the update from the CC menu?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 21, 2016 at 4:12:12 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Did you sign in first to your CC account using the CC desktop app? Then did you run the update from the CC menu?
"

Exactly. It showed me all my apps that had an update waiting.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Gregor Queck
on Jun 21, 2016 at 3:17:52 pm

You are so cruel!
:)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 21, 2016 at 4:33:55 pm

You got me.

I have never been so excited, and so disappointed in the span of a mouse click.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:10:44 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You got me.

I have never been so excited, and so disappointed in the span of a mouse click."

What he said. ^^

Doug Metz

Anode

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 21, 2016 at 5:10:14 pm

Speaking of the updates, one of the recurring themes in this forum is how far behind the competition Photoshop has fallen. There's a really interesting new Ps feature I'd like to point out: Face-Aware Liquify. It's incredibly cool. It's non-destructive (in the Ps sense of the word, apologies to David, Herb, Franz, Jeremy, et al), and it works on video clips, too:

The examples in this video are generally coarse adjustments for sake of demonstration; subtler tweaks like these are made as a matter of course in retouching and portraiture -- and now they can be made quickly and easily in video, too.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:22:17 pm

[Walter Soyka] "and now they can be made quickly and easily in video, too."

Uh oh, as soon as they migrate this feature to Ppro I'm going to be spending half my time doing virtual cosmetic surgery on all my talent. Please keep this a secret, don't let anyone else know.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Jun 21, 2016 at 10:09:16 pm

As a beauty photographer I got to say that's the coolest thing I've seen all day.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Adobe CC Warning: Still removing old applications.
on Jun 21, 2016 at 6:00:38 pm

Holy crap they STILL remove old applications by default. Considering that even this pas week I had to downgrade a project to 2014 just so I could work without crashing, this is insanity.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Adobe CC Warning: Still removing old applications.
on Jun 21, 2016 at 7:53:56 pm

[John Davidson] "Holy crap they STILL remove old applications by default."

This is a software update to an application, just like any other app. If you update a Mac App Store application, like FCP X, the same thing happens. In the CC desktop app, there is a big splash screen that comes up when you select "update all". It tells you that's exactly what will happen and gives you the option to uncheck "remove old versions" (advanced options). If you do that, both versions stay. However, I agree that it would be nice if the default was reversed.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:03:38 pm

[Oliver Peters] "This is a software update to an application, just like any other app."

Hahah, oh no, not quite. This is a software update for applications that may or may not create completely separate applications (cc, 14, 15, etc), which then may or may not requires lots of painfully expensive plugin updates. Considering the track record for crashes, bugs, and the loss of standard functions that occurred with the 2015 update last year (RAM previews anyone?) defending this as just another software update is way way way off the mark.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:29:57 pm

[John Davidson] "This is a software update for applications that may or may not create completely separate applications (cc, 14, 15, etc), which then may or may not requires lots of painfully expensive plugin updates."

I simply haven't found that to be the case. Trouble-free, no. But not as bad as you are implying. I've typically updated about about 8-10 Macs each of the last few years with CC updates. You do have to be careful, but most errors are recoverable. True, plug-ins can be an issue, but that's true with every application.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:37:48 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You do have to be careful, but most errors are recoverable. "

On my retina iMac RAM preview breaks. This new version today cannot ram preview at realtime a project we're working on. They JUST got this working again with 2015, and now we're back to low frame rate previews in AE.

Some plugins came across in the update, Video Copilot's did not. And in a few hours or days we'll find out exactly what else is broken.

It completely doesn't matter how careful or careless you are when upgrading to Adobe's infinite cost application suite. Adobe pushes it out, sets it up to delete the app that mostly works (IMHO CC 2014 is the most stable version), and every user has to click 'advanced' to turn off the deletion of these working apps.

Believe it or not I want Adobe to succeed. There are some neat things they're making like Fuse and the UI designer, but don't torch my workflow with a haphazard update. It's reckless.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:44:19 pm

[John Davidson] "don't torch my workflow with a haphazard update. It's reckless."

There's a certain irony in this statement being posted in the FCPX forum, no? And I agree - Adobe needs to change the default behavior to leave the old apps alone, or at least make it a user preference in the Adobe cloud app.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:52:58 pm

X never deleted 7, it moved it into a separate folder. Even now, 5 years later, 7 can still run on a new machine.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:54:37 pm

[John Davidson] "X never deleted 7"

No, but X overwrites/updates version of X.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 21, 2016 at 10:02:25 pm

All versions of Apple Pro Apps can be archived and zipped up for safe keeping forever. Try doing that with adobe apps.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2016 at 10:06:37 pm

[John Davidson] "Try doing that with adobe apps"

But you do have the option of keeping and using multiple, older active versions. As I said, I agree the default should be opposite. But there is a big warning with explanation before you proceed. It also includes the option to keep the previous versions. No offense, but did you just ignore that?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 21, 2016 at 10:17:35 pm

[Oliver Peters] "But there is a big warning with explanation before you proceed. "

Of course I didn't delete the apps, I know better than to trust their updates. I posted it here to warn others who might not see the little - not large - warning you're referring to, and to tell them to go to advanced and uncheck the 'delete previous versions of apps'.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:21:27 pm

[Oliver Peters] "This is a software update to an application, just like any other app. If you update a Mac App Store application, like FCP X, the same thing happens. "

This isn't an AppStore app, though.

It's really confusing what Adobe has done with the versions. If they want to delete the old ones and let everyone move on, then simply name the applications "CC" and get rid of the versions. Why default to deleting everything? If they want you to delete it, why not just make it easier on everyone? Isn't the point of CC to have constant updates that are awesome, and not weirdly named versions that are weird?

And we don't have to get excited for a "2015" version that's updating right in the middle of 2016.

If you decide not to delete the apps, you get two versions of "2015". This is nutty. Why not call it "2016" and have it feel like a different version?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:34:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And we don't have to get excited for a "2015" version that's updating right in the middle of 2016."

Those version/point numbers are irrelevant. They also are different with the various apps within. More important is the actual build number of the individual app. Yes, I know, not ideal and confusing, but one is marketing and the other is software engineering.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:37:47 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Yes, I know, not ideal and confusing, but one is marketing and the other is software engineering.
"

And with a lot of things Adobe, completely overcomplicated and weird.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 21, 2016 at 9:57:59 pm

Yeah, the naming/numbering convention is needlessly confusing. Change the entire suite to CC 2016 and then just do point updates to the invidual apps. For example, in CC 2015 PPro is v.9.2.0 so just make the new one CC 2016 and PPro v9.3.0). That way you can just ask, "Hey, do you have CC 2016 installed"? and it's very clear what you are talking about.

I can't see a lot of conversations going like this:
Hey, do you have PPro CC 2015.3 installed?
Yeah, I have CC 2015 installed.
No, not CC 2015. CC 2015.3. The new one.
Oh, you mean CC 2016?
No. CC 2015.3. It came out in 2016, but unlike all the other CC versions the year of release doesn't match the name of the suite.

And the fact that not all the apps have the same number (ex. PS is CC 2015.5, AE is CC 2015.3 and DreamWeaver is just CC 2015) is just nuts. Who came up with this and who are the people that agreed with that person?

Also, having 'delete other apps' as the default action is still wrong. Anything that automatically removes stuff from users computers should be opt-in, not opt-out.

[John Davidson] "but don't torch my workflow with a haphazard update. It's reckless."

Weird, Adobe didn't torch my workflow... Oh, that's right I didn't upgrade my work machine on day 1 of a new build while in the middle of a project. ;)

Not pointed at you specifically John, but at what point did upgrading in the middle of a project start becoming the norm? I see it more and more these days but 10yrs ago that was certainly not SOP.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jun 21, 2016 at 10:14:35 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Weird, Adobe didn't torch my workflow... Oh, that's right I didn't upgrade my work machine on day 1 of a new build while in the middle of a project. ;)"

And lets hear an amen to that. I never do a major upgrade without cloning my boot drive first, and that's whether or not I opt to save old versions of the software. Just because Adobes offering an upgrade every 6 months doesn't mean you have to hit the upgrade button every time it lights up. On the other hand the CC name and numbering conventions are mind-numbingly stupid and confusing.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 21, 2016 at 11:04:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And we don't have to get excited for a "2015" version that's updating right in the middle of 2016."

I was really worried that my Office 365 subscription just wouldn't work one day this year, but then I upgraded my Autodesk software to 2017, skipped to next year, and bypassed 2016's leap year drama.

Living in the future is nice, but it's lonely. My NDA prohibits me from discussing Brexit, the US presidential election, and the next version of FCPX with you until you all catch up.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 21, 2016 at 8:14:59 pm

[Michael Hancock] "For Adobe. They just released their a big update to CC2015"

Updated this AM and, as I don't use proxies in (Pr or X), it's... exactly the same. Like an old shoe. Comfortable.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 21, 2016 at 10:48:24 pm

So I saw someone on Twitter say that Adobe said at NAB that this is just a normal point release and the CC 2016 release is coming later this year. Anyone else hear this? It would explain the numbering if true.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 21, 2016 at 11:16:17 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Updated this AM and, as I don't use proxies in (Pr or X), it's... exactly the same. Like an old shoe. Comfortable."

Perhaps you don't use the color tools, either, because there are significant updates there: HSL secondaries in Lumetri, updated scopes, support for control surfaces (!), and monitoring Rec 2020 (still somewhat forward-looking at this point). Premiere and Resolve are both working toward the same goal (or perhaps skating toward the same puck) from their respective strengths.

Oh, and this release adds VR support. And support for licensing Adobe Stock footage directly from inside Premiere Pro. And GPU-acceleration support for Metal on macOS. And native decode of ProRes on Windows.

And some little stuff like remembering the twirl state of intrinsic properties in the ECP, which I think we will all identify as the most important feature of this release in a week or two.

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/now-live-the-latest-update-of-premier...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]