FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-X and the Apple conspiracy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
FCP-X and the Apple conspiracy
on Jun 16, 2016 at 1:12:41 pm

I like the word "conspiracy" more than "business model, or "business plan", because it sounds cooler, and quickly answers the question "how come I can't do that". Conspiracy is cool.

I have always bitched about the difficulty of shared storage with FCP-X, and how, over the years, the companies that address this issue have figured out how to do this with NFS, or iSCSI or sparse disk images. Why would Apple make this so difficult, and not make it work instantly, just like it did with FCP7 ?

well, I am stealing this from a competing web publication to Creative Cow (it's not my observation), but it seems damn accurate.

"The iCloud drive on Sierra makes all the files available on the desktop across all devices. So what would happen if I stored an FCPX library on the desktop? Would it appear and possibly update on another machine with the same login? Not only would this give automatic backups, it could open the possibilities for more collaborative workflows."

So with the pending release of OS X (excuse me macOS) Sierra, you would simply put your library on the local desktop, setup an iCloud account (the conspiracy part, because "we don't want to pay for iCloud space") - and now this will be available on everyone's computer. Media for FCP-X stays "in place" accessible via SMB (as always on a network volume), and now the "I can't write my FCP-X library to a network volume" is solved. Just keep paying for iCloud access and your problem is solved. Its a conspiracy ! I knew it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCP-X and the Apple conspiracy
on Jun 16, 2016 at 1:39:48 pm

I think the end game for all of these tech companies is to put EVERYTHING in the cloud and then you no longer need high-end computing gear. For Apple that means iPad Pros, MacBooks, etc.

While I think that's a total pipe dream spawned by high-tech group think, you can certainly see how everyone is trying to move that way. Ultimately this shifts everyone into the rental/subscription model with reoccurring revenue. I just read in Mix about Minnetonka Audio offering cloud processing on a per event or per project basis for its effects and mastering tools.

Ultimately Amazon is laughing all the way to the bank, until the whole internet comes to a screeching halt.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 16, 2016 at 4:20:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Ultimately Amazon is laughing all the way to the bank, until the whole internet comes to a screeching halt."

Well... Amazon, Microsoft, Google and others... but its a great point. There are certainly people who want all of your processing to live on their platforms while your data flows into the hands of their clients - many of those people also believe you should pay a subscription fee for those privileges...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:12:42 pm
Last Edited By Tim Wilson on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:15:07 pm

Cloud processing is already working just fine for devices. The computing power for Siri, Google Now, Alexa (which is what Amazon SHOULD have called its voice assistant, and what I'll call her forever) and the like lives in the cloud, and nobody blinks. Fantastic article here, pointing out that voice search requires 168% more computing resources than a standard web search. In round numbers, I guess. LOL

Yeah, Apple'll add it to macOS, but I don't think for a minute that they'll be rewiring their architecture to offload Siri processing onto the desktop. Why bother?

I also don't think that any of this is an especially major step. I mean, I'll still be paying Dropbox when the sun goes nova. I trust them with my data more than I trust any number of drives that I can hold in my hand. And it's just files. Nothing even vaguely important as what I load onto Facebook.

(Speaking rhetorically. Facebook's not for me, not because I care about I'm shy about the idea of sharing my information with Facebook, but because I want people from my past to have to work harder to find me. LOL)

So yeah, Dropbox or its successor has my subscription forever. So does Spotify or some later Spotify-like service. (Not Apple music any time soon. Just not good enough, and I don't see it happening from the wwdc reveal.) The hundreds of playlists I've labored over, some for months, are useless outside that service, but why would I consider getting out of it. Any of you Netflixers planning to cut out any time soon? I've been on Gmail pretty much since it opened in 2004 (hence my Gmail address being my actual name, no punctuation or nuthin'), and as much as it's nowhere near what I want it to be, but it's never crossed my mind to consider any other alternative besides better front ends.

(Apple and Android mail are barely better, and in some ways worse, but any Android user should drop what they're doing and grab Aquamail, by far the best email front end on any platform, mobile or nay.)

In other words, pretty much everything I'm using, I'm conceptually locked into forever. I CAN step away, and any of the specific services are fungible (I could go from Dropbox to Box easily enough) but I have better things to do with my time. Like labor over Spotify playlists or my tumblr. LOL

And any of my applications, desktop or mobile, that work better for ME by offloading processing into the cloud are more than welcome to it.

Plenty of people are already paying to do it. Atomic Fiction is the VFX company that did the heavy lifting for The Walk, and they used the cloud to scale from zero processors to 15,000 simultaneous processors in seconds, and back to zero. Instead of paying for processors that sit sleeping in boxes most of the year, they paid for only the minutes of processing they needed. When the project was finished, so was their expenditure. Nothing to amortize but the handful of workstations that they used for visualizing the effects.

The story here is hella cool, but only barely hints at the extent of it. I did a follow-up interview, because I think these guys are just living the future today --- they're a couple of years ahead of that. But it is in fact here, it's real, and it costs less than buying local processing. A lot less.

You probably don't need that much processing of course. Maybe you never will. But if, like Siri, you could have 168 times more processing than your most tricked out Mac just by keeping your data in iCloud, you'd be crazy not to.

Or you could buy a PC to get more processing power than the most tricked out Macs. LOL But that might ultimately mean wasting more money, because sizzlecore PCs cost a lot more than topped-off Macs, faced off against processing on demand.

So my only disinclination to use the word "conspiracy" is that it implies secrecy. I don't see how any of these guys could possibly be more obvious. They all want to be your best boyfriend ever. They want to carry your books, massage your feet, and make you soup when you feel bad. You'll hesitate because you've been hurt before, but in the end, you'll want to give them everything because they give you back even more. They make you feel pretty.

It's nice to be loved.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 16, 2016 at 5:46:16 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Atomic Fiction is the VFX company that did the heavy lifting for The Walk, and they used the cloud to scale from zero processors to 15,000 simultaneous processors in seconds, and back to zero"

They've been at it quite a while.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/looper/

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 16, 2016 at 6:17:31 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Or you could buy a PC to get more processing power than the most tricked out Macs. LOL But that might ultimately mean wasting more money, because sizzlecore PCs cost a lot more than topped-off Macs, faced off against processing on demand. "

It's an and, not an or, for the foreseeable future.

A local sizzlecore gets you the fast interactive performance you need for iteration. Piles of sizzlecores in the sky that you can rent by the minute get you the scalable performance you need for those pesky, peaky final-quality renders.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 16, 2016 at 6:41:47 pm

[Tim Wilson] "So my only disinclination to use the word "conspiracy" is that it implies secrecy. I don't see how any of these guys could possibly be more obvious. They all want to be your best boyfriend ever. They want to carry your books, massage your feet, and make you soup when you feel bad. You'll hesitate because you've been hurt before, but in the end, you'll want to give them everything because they give you back even more. They make you feel pretty."

Sure, but sometime they let their friends look at pictures of you sleeping... for a small fee. :-) Kidding aside, cloud services providers and social media platform owners are still trying to find that line between helpful and creepy, while also finding "innovative" ways to monetize the metadata about you and your files. I completely agree with you about Dropbox, but Google... never say anything in Gmail that you don't want to get advertising about.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:55:06 pm

listen kids - this is an FCP-X forum, and I am not talking about general cloud stuff. I am talking about
FCP-X, not being able to write Libraries to a shared volume, and now Apple is going to offer a simple solution, BUT you have to use iCloud. Now, I am not saying that what I just stated is accurate - but it sure seems that way. When Apple decided to get out of the networking business (with Xserve, XRaid, etc.), so did their editing app. And I questioned "why would they do this". Well, they no longer made money from networking hardware, so why write an app that used hardware that they did not make money from. And FCP-X began to flourish. And VOLIA ! - all of a sudden we may have a shared solution, from that very company.
Remember - I may be completely mis reading this, and I may be completely wrong when Sierra actually comes out.
But it sure looks like this was the intention, since you could always "share to iCloud".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 17, 2016 at 1:39:38 pm

And speaking of collaboration:

https://support.frame.io/hc/en-us/articles/220738907-Using-the-Frame-io-Fin...

Watch the video.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]