FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto-renewable subscriptions coming soon to all categories on Apple's App Store

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Soyka
Auto-renewable subscriptions coming soon to all categories on Apple's App Store
on Jun 8, 2016 at 8:33:12 pm

"Starting this fall, apps in all categories on the App Store will be eligible to offer in-app purchases for auto-renewable subscriptions to services or content. Users enjoy the reliability that comes with subscribing to a service that they love, and the experience must provide ongoing value worth the recurring payment for an auto-renewable subscription to make sense."

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/subscriptions/whats-new/

Of course there's no indication there that Apple will use themselves, and I am neither speculating that they might nor starting a rumor that they will -- but would you subscribe to FCP X if that's the only way it were made available?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Auto-renewable subscriptions coming soon to all categories on Apple's App Store
on Jun 8, 2016 at 9:01:38 pm

I doubt that Apple would go that direction. Of course that could change. The reason behind my thinking id that Apple sells hardware as dows Blackmagic so there should be no reason for Final Cut to go subscription only. Most of the profits are linked to hardware rather then software. This is how Blackmagic can afford to offer low cost software. Besides there is the hardware support. In the event Apple does go subscription only I might jump over to Resolve for nearly all my post production needs depending on the subscription model.

Adobe had to go subscription only due to many factors. The big one (at least for me) was many people were not upgrading every product cycle. The other reasons because of Sox in addition to the fact Adobe does not sell hardware. Could we see Adobe offering their subscription plan in the App Store at some point? Perhaps other third party apps could be offered there as well. That would make keeping up with subscriptions much easier and probably help other developers reach a wider audience. We have to wait and see.

While this looks nice there is always that one thing we don't know about.

Tim, looking to your thoughts. I know something is on the stove cooking. :-)

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
Re: Auto-renewable subscriptions coming soon to all categories on Apple's App Store
on Jun 8, 2016 at 9:28:53 pm

[David Mathis] "The reason behind my thinking id that Apple sells hardware as dows Blackmagic so there should be no reason for Final Cut to go subscription only. "

Agreed, the SEC rules for SOX were changed in the late 2000's so if the same company makes the hardware and the software, they can report 90ish% immediately on the hardware sale price and reserve 10ish% for any future additional 'value-added' functionality and or features over a two year cycle. (as opposed to bug fixes which were always OK.)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 8, 2016 at 10:52:09 pm

For many categories like virtual newspapers and to access content streams like episodic programs, - subscriptions have always made lots of sense. (Netflix anyone?) Subscribe to the local paper and save - rather than buy it retail at the newsstand every day. Nothing new there.
As I've always argued, it should be at least as easy to stop any subscription as it is to start it. If that's in place, it's fine to let the consumer decide which model best fits their needs.
My 2 cents.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 8, 2016 at 11:52:53 pm

[Bill Davis] "As I've always argued, it should be at least as easy to stop any subscription as it is to start it. If that's in place, it's fine to let the consumer decide which model best fits their needs."

As you and I see eye to eye on the cancelling part being dubious at best I'm referring to something else which is why the subscription model has crept into being able to add features to existing products and equipment without collecting a fee.

It has to do with the rules like the 99¢ FaceTime for Snow Leopard but free when updating to the then paid Lion update situation. AFAIK Apple holds back 10% from the initial purchase price to cover future new features from each hardware purchase sale during the item's 24 month projected usefulness cycle.

With that the case, that's most likely the major reason why the OSs have been free across the board since 2011 along with us not paying a single 1¢ for any ProApps updates since FCP X's release.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 9, 2016 at 12:03:53 am

[Bill Davis] "For many categories like virtual newspapers and to access content streams like episodic programs, - subscriptions have always made lots of sense."

Why (or why not) would you consider continuous software development to be different than episodic content development?

[Bill Davis] "As I've always argued, it should be at least as easy to stop any subscription as it is to start it."

Absolutely. Autodesk is very good at this. Adobe is very bad at this.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 9, 2016 at 12:42:02 am

[Walter Soyka] "s software development to be different than episodic content development?
"

As I've long argued, I have little quarrel with a pure subscription model where the consumer pays for access to copyright content owned by someone else. My problems arise when rather than content, the subscription is applied to a tool that the consumer is forced to pay for in order to maintain ongoing access to their OWN work.

Basically, charging me to subscribe to your creative property is fine. Requiring me to subscribe to maintain access to my own property? Not so much.

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 16, 2016 at 7:33:56 pm

[Bill Davis] "My problems arise when rather than content, the subscription is applied to a tool that the consumer is forced to pay for in order to maintain ongoing access to their OWN work.

Basically, charging me to subscribe to your creative property is fine. Requiring me to subscribe to maintain access to my own property? Not so much."

Well said. It's my problem with CC. Where's the off-ramp? How do I open my old work once I get off the treadmill...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 8, 2016 at 10:35:36 pm

[Walter Soyka] " but would you subscribe to FCP X if that's the only way it were made available?"

Yes. It's simply the superior editor out there. If I had to subscribe to Avid, Adobe or Apple FCPX, give me X every time. My humble opinion only.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 9, 2016 at 12:07:28 am

This might also be a response to help developers. A number simply build in one or two years of development and then stop, because they don't want to continue development without additional income from existing customers. This would offer a bone to those developers.

It could also be a change brought about by how Apple is adjusting its music business and/or cloud business.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 9, 2016 at 12:11:00 am

More opinion here:

http://www.imore.com/app-store-faq

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 9, 2016 at 12:45:47 am

[Oliver Peters] "This might also be a response to help developers."

I'm gonna go out on a short limb, and say this is a response to help developers. Here's the story from the horses mouth so to speak...

http://daringfireball.net/2016/06/the_new_app_store

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~I still need to play Track Tetris sometimes. An old game that you can never win~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 9, 2016 at 6:18:32 am

Glad Apple finally changed some of its crappy App Store policies. Hopefully this will help curtail the race-to-the-bottom and make being a software maker a more viable than it currently is.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 9, 2016 at 6:58:05 pm

Seems like Alex has a slightly different take on this:

http://alex4d.com/notes/item/app-store-subscriptions-imovie-fcpx

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]