FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Or Not" was born of the FCP X Launch. So...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
"Or Not" was born of the FCP X Launch. So...
on Jun 1, 2016 at 9:32:51 pm

Over Memorial Day to decompress from my killer recent schedule a bit, I binge-watched some of the Stieg Larssen series of Dragon Tattoo book to film adaptations from Sweden. (Really nice productions all currently on Netflix.)
Maybe the 3rd book title about "Kicking over the Hornet's Nest" inspired me to revisit the FCP X launch in my very first ever formal blog post on our new XinTwo website.
So unfurl your verbal brickbats and sharpen your semantic claws. Or not. Up to you. ; )

https://www.xintwo.com/what-everybody-ought-to-know-about-final-cut-pro-x/

Creator of XinTwo - http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: "Or Not" was born of the FCP X Launch. So...
on Jun 1, 2016 at 10:40:30 pm

Nothing controversial in there Bill :) Good luck with the new venture!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 1, 2016 at 11:21:32 pm

Good luck. A very necessary learning tool. One minor quibble with the blog post, though. Prior to the launch and the Supermeet event, Apple hosted a private presentation of X to key industry pros mainly from Hollywood. They also seeded a beta version to a number of beta testers and/or influencers. These folks were all 'sworn to secrecy' or officially NDA'ed. Some did acknowledge that X would indeed be a lot different than FCP7. But yes, in public, no one had seen it.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 2, 2016 at 1:29:31 am

Interesting, Oliver. I had heard nothing about any special preview. Then again, I wouldn't have.
Since somebody under NDA could arguably be said to have been brought temporarily "inside Apple" via special access, I think the point stands. Still, fascinating to hear that happened. I had no clue. Thanks for posting the insight.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 2, 2016 at 2:54:30 am

[Bill Davis] " I had heard nothing about any special preview. Then again, I wouldn't have. "

U ppl need to read the COW. This was widely discussed here.

It was also openly discussed at the Alpha Dogs pre-NAB presentation, moderated by Creative COW's Debra Kaufman. The panel included Creative COW OG Mark Raudonis,who was of course discreet and professional within the scope of what he was allowed to say. He was the first person I heard (apart from The Great One himself) utter the phrase "skating to where the puck is going to be."

All of this was not only posted here, but discussed at length, complete with video.

I know that other sites, including Facebook, have become de rigour for FCPX info. I read them too. But if you're not watching the COW, you simply can't possibly know enough about what truly matters.

This mattered.

So please spread the word, and shave multiple years off your learning curve LOL by staying tuned in to Creative COW.

Yr pal,
Timmy

typed on my phone. always a mistake, but when have I ever avoided those?

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jun 2, 2016 at 3:20:51 am

Yes, I was there.

It was a small group of 100 "opinion leaders" at the Apple "town hall" auditorium in Cupertino. It was where Larry Jordan came up with the response, "jaw dropping". Of course that can be interpreted two different ways!

As history has shown... it indeed has been "jaw dropping". Whether that was good or bad is in the mind of the beholder. Fun times!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 2, 2016 at 3:48:44 am

I believe that was February, right? Seems to me from Feb to June that's all we talked about. It was known that Larry and others had been to a special closed presentation on the next version of FCP.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:53:18 am

[Tim Wilson] "It was also openly discussed at the Alpha Dogs pre-NAB presentation,"

And here is the link to the videos on Vimeo if anyone wants to take that trip down memory lane (it's the 2011 NAB Previews).

https://vimeo.com/channels/editorslounge/videos/page:4/sort:date/format:thu...

Bill,
In your blog I think you are conflating the product itself and the product launch.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:50:52 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Bill,
In your blog I think you are conflating the product itself and the product launch."

No Andrew, I'm recounting my personal experience at the time.

Remember, that for many, many years at NAB, I was very closely associated Mike Horton and later Dan Berube's Supermeets. To the point that every year, I was a significant, if minor, part of the team putting on the show. So I was front and center at the FCP X unveiling. In fact, I was the guy who "lowered the ropes" and let the crowd into the FCP X launch.

Some folks may well have been "in the know" in advance of the intro, but I definitely wasn't one of them. (Not sure if I'd done more than simply kicked the tires here at the Cow at that point What I WAS was very active in the FCP Legacy community - to the point I was at the inaugural LAFCPUG meeting and knew all the early players - was a regular on the early days of 2-pop.com when the OTHER Larry Jordan was running it - and had been with FCP Legacy since it was announced at NAB in 1999.

The point being, I wasn't without contacts in the FCP community.

And nobody I knew let word ONE drop about what Apple was doing.

So I'll stand by what I wrote in my blog. In 2011 - in any rational review of the landscape, the "hair on fire" nature of the reaction simply COULD NOT have come from natural internet chatter. Again, nobody in the broad spectrum of global FCP editing - 2 million strong at that point - had a clue about what was coming. I honestly don't think the exceptions noted here do other than "prove the rule."

Which leaves only a couple of possibilities. Those that HAD been put under NDA were the source of the early "it's crap" spin (which is awful to even consider) - OR, as I contend, it was opinions formed largely out of pure ignorance.

I will also say this. If there WERE a bunch of people who had a fair inside look and didn't step up and push back against the " it's jus iMovie Pro) thing - shame on you. If someone as "outside" as ME could kinda see what Apple was actually doing - the fact that much more industry connected, experienced and smarter people then me missed the early potential is kinda MORE shocking.

Well, in fairness, there another possibility. Maybe Apple ONLY previewed it to classes of users it simply wan't going to fit well. And if so I have only one thing to say to Apple in hindsight.

THANKS!

If more folks had publicly beat the drums FOR FCP X from the beginning, I probably wouldn't have had the head start I did in gaining my expertise.. In many ways, what I'm doing now is a direct result of that. So I should thank each and every one here who railed against it for so long.

Opportunities sure do come wrapped n strange packages!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 2, 2016 at 8:40:41 am

[Bill Davis] "No Andrew, I'm recounting my personal experience at the time."

Your personal experience of how people felt about X the product which is related to, but not the same thing as, the the launch of X the product. An example of what I mean is if Apple would have either not pulled FCP 7 from store shelves immediately or if they had given users a big heads up that FCP 7 would be pulled from store shelves in a few months then the launch of X would've gone smoother even though the product would've been exactly the same. Also things like providing the roadmap and the free trial at launch would've been beneficial as well.

[Bill Davis] " in any rational review of the landscape, the "hair on fire" nature of the reaction simply COULD NOT have come from natural internet chatter."

People, as a whole, aren't rational, especially when you put them behind the relative anonymity/protection of the Interent. Even looking back at it now I'm not surprised that it went down the way it did given all the pieces that fell into place at the same time (some of which had been brewing for years like the lack of a solid update since 2007, or 2005 if you ask Tim).

[Bill Davis] "potential is kinda MORE shocking. "

Potential doesn't pay the bills though. For example, when X launched I needed the ability to do things like round trip between my NLE and color grading and audio mixing programs, open already pre-existing FCP projects, capture from and layoff to tape, etc., I didn't need to download X to know that the launch version didn't meet my needs. There were features that X launched with like the key wording and auditions that I thought were very cool but some of the features that were missing at launch were show stopping omissions for me at the time so the cool features were a moot point. Many (most?) of the people I talked to felt the same way. My stance on X hasn't changed since launch though, if I think it'll meet my needs (which includes being used by facilities I work at/want to work at) I'll start using it.

I think it goes without saying that if X launched with more features it would have been better received but Apple didn't think waiting another year was wise and I agree with that. The timing of things had them in a pinch.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 2, 2016 at 5:24:51 pm

[Bill Davis] "I will also say this. If there WERE a bunch of people who had a fair inside look and didn't step up and push back against the " it's jus iMovie Pro) thing - shame on you. If someone as "outside" as ME could kinda see what Apple was actually doing - the fact that much more industry connected, experienced and smarter people then me missed the early potential is kinda MORE shocking. "

Type "IMovie Pro" into Google and you get to relive all those early reactions to it!

BTW I like the style of the Tutorials Bill

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:01:27 pm

[Steve Connor] "BTW I like the style of the Tutorials Bill"

Me too! Important to keep in mind for what follows. :-)

[Bill Davis] "Some folks may well have been "in the know" in advance of the intro, but I definitely wasn't one of them. (Not sure if I'd done more than simply kicked the tires here at the Cow at that point What I WAS was very active in the FCP Legacy community - to the point I was at the inaugural LAFCPUG meeting and knew all the early players - was a regular on the early days of 2-pop.com when the OTHER Larry Jordan was running it - and had been with FCP Legacy since it was announced at NAB in 1999.

The point being, I wasn't without contacts in the FCP community.

And nobody I knew let word ONE drop about what Apple was doing. "

Exactly my point, Bill.

You mentioned using FCP v.1? I was running the Macromedia beta on Windows.

My own involvement with LAFCPUG goes back not to the first, but to the third-ever meeting, which was my first presentation there in my capacity as product manager and director of marketing at Boris FX. To this day, I hold the record for most presentations by a non-Californian.

I was living in Boston at the time, and was THE VERY FIRST presenter at their VERY FIRST meeting.

I helped found the New York group, and recruited its original leader. I went to literally every single FCP user group in the US at the time.

But no matter how engaged you are with every other part of the Final Cut Pro community, you simply cannot possibly know everything important about FCP if you're not in the COW.

Yes, you're engaged with FCP, but you're literally over 5 years behind some of the most talked-about topics in our history. You weren't here for it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It did.

I think you just don't understand some basic facts. You write:

Nobody in the broad spectrum of global FCP editing - 2 million strong at that point - had a clue about what was coming.

Bill, Creative COW IS the broad spectrum of global editing. How many people pass through LAFCPUG? A couple of hundred per meeting. How many people went to 2-pop at its peak? A couple of thousand per month.

Creative COW? Up to TWO MILLION PER MONTH, over 18 MILLION PER YEAR, from nearly 200 countries.

How many members do you think LACPUG has? We have over 300,000.

Looking at the most basic numbers, more people pass through the COW on a monthly basis than pass through all those other sites in a year, combined.

(And of course not all those numbers were driven by FCP...but until 2011, FCP was by far our biggest source, and if you read my history of the COW's first 15 years, you know that it was very much brought to life by the first wave of professional FCP broadcast editors.)

In other words, THIS is what the broad spectrum of global editing looks like. Millions and millions of people. Right here in the COW. Not "out there." HERE.

The only people who DIDN'T know this are the comparatively miniscule number of them at 2-pop.

I don't mean to insult them, Bill, and I certainly don't mean to insult you. As I noted, I was every bit as engaged in the FCP community as anyone anywhere, and I know you have been too.

But when you say this wasn't widely known, you are demonstrably, quantitatively, unambiguously WRONG about this. The facts are the facts, and you not knowing them is irrelevant to whether or not they're actually facts.

[Bill Davis] "he "hair on fire" nature of the reaction simply COULD NOT have come from natural internet chatter."

Again, easily, demonstrably, quantifiably not true.

I said this before, and it bears repeating because I think you either don't understand it or don't believe it.

THE INTERNET IS BIG. lol Seriously, Bill.

More important for this angle of my post, Creative COW is BIG. There were THOUSANDS of posts about this in Creative COW, Bill.

When we saw HUNDREDS of posts going up DURING the presentation (on average, 10 per minute - one every six seconds), we started this forum to handle the traffic.

And Bill, when there are thousands of posts a day on a topic in Creative COW, Google takes notice. Before the night was through, every single search for anything related to Final Cut Pro had Creative COW as the MULTIPLE top results.

You may not have noticed this, but there's typically only about a 15-minute gap between when a SINGLE post goes up and when you can find it at Google. When there are thousands of 'em? Google knows that too. :-)

Thousands of posts, millions of people, plus potentially billions of viewers on Google, YouTube, Vimeo -- Bill, this information was EVERYWHERE...

...except for places like 2-pop and the handful of user groups you were running with who look mostly to themselves and a tightly-knit phalanx of closely-related bloggers for information.

Again, no disrespect intended. Those user groups were my life, and some of those folks will be my friends for life.

So state as strongly as you like the fact that "nobody I knew" knew anything about this. I can't argue with that. If you say nobody YOU know knew anything about this, then it's true.

But I'm telling you that it was WIDELY known. It was known to literally everyone who cared enough to do the most basic internet search. Hell, probably even Yahoo figured it out. LOL

And for folks inside the COW, it was impossible to avoid this knowledge.

[Bill Davis] "If there WERE a bunch of people who had a fair inside look and didn't step up and push back against the " it's jus iMovie Pro) thing - shame on you."

You're not being fair to the people who still think that's true. LOL Disagreement with you doesn't necessarily equal ignorance.

You're also not being fair to the fact that FCPX was NOT feature-complete on the day it was released.

It was without precedent that Apple talked about a product this far in advance. But it was also unprecedented that they immediately announced a roadmap for when Apple would deliver features that they KNEW were mission critical, which is why they SAID they knew these were mission critical features, and would be delivered in a timely fashion.

I don't say this as criticism of Apple. Quite the contrary, I continue to laud them for doing this exactly the right way. Show key industry leaders in private, unveil at the key user event which you allow to be taped and disseminated, make a highly-publicized release, be transparent about what's missing and when it will arrive.

Perfection.

The fact that people don't like what they heard is likewise irrelevant to whether or not Apple did it right. Apple did it EXACTLY right.

Which also means that people are right to still be mad about the outcome if that's the way they feel. It's not the product they wanted or needed from Apple, and they've had plenty of time to settle into that position out of KNOWLEDGE, not ignorance.

So again, I submit that nobody who thinks they know what's going with FCP and FCPX knows ENOUGH about what's going on with them if they don't include Creative COW as part of a well-rounded diet of FCP fandom.

And again, I thank you for continuing to make Creative COW part of YOUR well-rounded diet of FCP fandom. :-)

[Steve Connor] "Type "IMovie Pro" into Google and you get to relive all those early reactions to it!
"

To be fair, if you sort by results for the past year, you still get an eyeful!

It hasn't helped that even now, in this past year, you have FCP stalwarts like Larry Jordan and Steve Martin and Provideocoaliton doing tutorials on moving your iMovie projects into FCPX. I'm not saying that Larry, Steve, or Provideocoalition speak only to pros. Of course they don't.

Nor would I suggest that pros don't use iMovie.

But even now, the distinction being made between iMovie and FCPX ***by some highly respected FCPX trainers*** is....

....wait for it....

....wait for it....

...that FCPX is like iMovie for pros.

Which I suppose is different than calling it iMovie Pro, though, right? LOL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:28:19 pm

[Tim Wilson] "But even now, the distinction being made between iMovie and FCPX ***by some highly respected FCPX trainers*** is....

....wait for it....

....wait for it....

...that FCPX is like iMovie for pros.

Which I suppose is different than calling it iMovie Pro, though, right? LOL

"

When I said in my first post that there was nothing controversial in Bill's blog, I may have been mistaken :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 2, 2016 at 7:35:13 pm

[Steve Connor] "When I said in my first post that there was nothing controversial in Bill's blog, I may have been mistaken :)"

Dude, you're posting in the "or Not" forum on the Cow. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G here is controversial.

It's kinda the default rule.

; )

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 2, 2016 at 7:33:10 pm

Interesting and informative. Thanks Tim.

I'll just point out this...

Your words:
"(And of course not all those numbers were driven by FCP...but until 2011, FCP was by far our biggest source, and if you read my history of the COW's first 15 years, you know that it was very much brought to life by the first wave of professional FCP broadcast editors.)

In other words, THIS is what the broad spectrum of global editing looks like. Millions and millions of people. Right here in the COW. Not "out there." HERE."

And note two things. The first graph highlights "professional broadcast editors" and the second graph shifts to "the broad spectrum of global editing." NOT, to my thinking the same thing at all. There were obviously NOT two million professional broadcast editors in 2011. Not even close. So the Legacy constituency was FAR broader than that. And I suspect the constituency that the Cow continues to be built upon is exactly the same. People are interested in what Broadcast Pros think, for sure. But just looking at YouTube alone, it's obvious that there are orders of magnitude more folks who fit OUTSIDE that criteria than inside it.

The second point i'll make is that you guys have done an AMAZING job of helping millions learn about this stuff. But I still contend that IF the default defensive position here is over-focused on the the preferences of those 100 folks who got the Apple sneak peak in 2011 (and their subsequently spreading so much IRE simply because it didn't meet their needs at the time - that runs directly COUNTER to the core of the larger theme that even MORE helped build your wonderful continuing success.

Here's my 2 cents.

Innovation is RARELY the problem. It's to be celebrated and defended. Even when it fails or is imperfect.
Most of my disappointment in those early days was THAT was what I was reading and hearing right here. This thing sucks because it doesn't work like I've been conditioned to work. I'll always believe that perspective was short-sighted then, and it's still short sighted today. Not in a global climate of rapid change and evolution.

As you know better than most, you don't build a global platform by catering the 100 influencers, or even 50,000 editing pros (if there are even that many "traditional facility editors" out there.) Ron and Katherine and you built this success by BROADENING the discussion beyond any single "elite" class of editor.

And I hope you continue to do that.

That's all.

Again, personal thanks for being such a huge pillar in building this wonderful platform. I can't imagine my personal business life without it. Without so many wonderful people in this virtual neighborhood to spar and share ideas with, I might have focused my inherent need to debate on my wife - and I doubt THAT would have turned out well.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 2, 2016 at 7:44:38 pm

[Bill Davis] "As you know better than most, you don't build a global platform by catering the 100 influencers, or even 50,000 editing pros (if there are even that many "traditional facility editors" out there.) "

I would offer this supposition. Maybe that initial sneak peek with influencers was not to convince them. Maybe it was Apple's way of gauging what the reaction would be and to internally prepare for the backlash and possibly tweak their own marketing targets.

It might have also been to determine which of the missing items were most critical in order to get the right 3rd party developers on board early to plug the holes. For example, Automatic Duck's first X to ProTools software.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:00:20 am

[Bill Davis] "But I still contend that IF the default defensive position here is over-focused on the the preferences of those 100 folks who got the Apple sneak peak in 2011 (and their subsequently spreading so much IRE simply because it didn't meet their needs at the time "

I think it's a bold claim to say that the people Apple hand picked to get a private viewing of X (all under heavy NDA I would assume) spread around negativity (out of spite?) and were the cause for reaction to X when it launched. Or am I misunderstanding you?

[Bill Davis] "This thing sucks because it doesn't work like I've been conditioned to work. I'll always believe that perspective was short-sighted then, and it's still short sighted today"

I agree though I think you are severely overplaying that sentiment in this situation. Many people had been waiting for years for Apple to give signification upgrade to FCP and when that upgrade launched as very much a work in progress that was the final straw. They needed a viable tool today, not the possibly of a viable tool at some point in the future. It's just hard for me to discount people by saying "you just fear change" when they might have transitioned from film to linear, from linear to NLE and from one NLE to another (ex. Avid to FCP Legend).

I know you have been bullish on X since day one, but a common theme among many of case studies I've read over at FCP.co is that X at launch wasn't really viable but a year or two or three (depending on the situation) it was and that's when these people/companies switched and have been happily using it ever since. On the flip side, just casually in 2011 or 2012 I'd talked with a couple of post houses in LA that were on FCP 7 and they were optimistic about X. One of them ultimately went with PPro and the other went with Avid.

But not everyone had that luxury of time. When some people moved to another NLE rather quickly it wasn't a knee-jerk reaction, it was pulling the trigger on a decision years in the making. Many people were underwhelmed with the meager update that was FCP 7 but, being long time Apple users, they were holding out another yet another 2yrs in hopes that Apple's next upgrade would deliver the goods (even though both Avid and PPro were racking up new features like mad compared to FCP at the time). Apple showed their hand with X and that was the final piece in the decision making process that was needed. To me that's not short sighted, that's just making a business call based on the best available products at the time. If X had launched with more feature parity maybe the decisions would've been different. Maybe not.

To your point about people being mad mainly that X didn't work like 7, at the time of the X launch I was working with around a dozen relatively young (late 20's-early 30's) editors that had grown up on FCP, only knew FCP, and almost to a (wo)man they were pissed because they just saw their NLE knowledge get a big, fat expiration date. The older editors I knew (and/or editors that knew multiple NLEs) seemed less likely to share this mindset. I assume because they'd been around this block before. I had used the old Premiere and Avid prior to FCP so when X dropped it was certainly comforting for me to know that I could fall back on my Avid experience to get work.

And of course there are the 'iMovie Pro' people and there always will be. I mean, I know people that have dissed FCP for over a decade and I think the only thing that might sway their opinion is Tim Cook gifting them a few million shares of APPL.

[Bill Davis] "As you know better than most, you don't build a global platform by catering the 100 influencers, or even 50,000 editing pros (if there are even that many "traditional facility editors" out there.) Ron and Katherine and you built this success by BROADENING the discussion beyond any single "elite" class of editor.

And I hope you continue to do that."

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think the 'elite' class of editor is probably the least represented class of editor at the COW or any Internet forum for that matter. Between NDAs, the rigors of editing high end films/TVs and having AE's to do trouble shooting for you I don't think there's much reason for them to venture into Internet forums too often. We have conversations about them way more than they have conversations with us. But influencers are called influencers for a reason so of course what they say in an interview or at a panel discussion is going to ripple through all of us 'little people' that are ripe for the discussion. ;)

[Oliver Peters] "Maybe it was Apple's way of gauging what the reaction would be and to internally prepare for the backlash and possibly tweak their own marketing targets."

You mean do things such as taking over a Supermeet at the last minute? ;)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:29:33 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Many people were underwhelmed with the meager update that was FCP 7 but, being long time Apple users, they were holding out another yet another 2yrs in hopes that Apple's next upgrade would deliver the goods (even though both Avid and PPro were racking up new features like mad compared to FCP at the time). Apple showed their hand with X and that was the final piece in the decision making process that was needed."

To add further context to this, FCPX launched after a string of Apple withdrawals from the professional video space. This included the demise of Xserve, Xserve RAID, and Final Cut Server. Add Color to that, although that was part of the FCPX launch. Another data point, but a bit behind the scenes, was that Apple's custom sales and support personnel, who serviced professional customers, were reassigned. Those services were turned over to resellers who did a far worse job. Plus the withdrawal from major industry shows, like NAB and IBC. So what sort of message do those things suggest?

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 3, 2016 at 4:01:19 am

Wow, Just pushed the wrong button and my post in progress totally disappeared. Shoot.

Anyway, restarting...

[Oliver Peters] "To add further context to this, FCPX launched after a string of Apple withdrawals from the professional video space. This included the demise of Xserve, Xserve RAID, and Final Cut Server. Add Color to that, although that was part of the FCPX launch. Another data point, but a bit behind the scenes, was that Apple's custom sales and support personnel, who serviced professional customers, were reassigned. Those services were turned over to resellers who did a far worse job. Plus the withdrawal from major industry shows, like NAB and IBC. So what sort of message do those things suggest?
"

To me the message was that the "professional video space" was changing fast. And Apple wanted to get ahead of that.

Look at the landscape.

FAR fewer Broadcast stations making big hardware investments. Bye bye healthy indy TV and smaller operators buying broadcast gear - now a handful of Megalith media giants doing ALL the production and feeding it via satellite into local markets. In fact, your local TV station might not be doing ANY production anymore,.

Production companies with mega investments noticing that talented kids with camcorders can suddenly make pictures that are just as pretty as any others.

Laptops that do everything (and more) that yesterday's tower could do regarding video production.

Huge "in house raids"once necessary for pro editing getting pressure from much smaller, cheaper, desktop solutions.

That's not the whole picture, certainly, and LOTS of professional solutions are still needed. But everyone knows that instead of a pair of BVU series Cameras on the purchase order like the old days, a production concern can spend the same for A C-500, Maybe a PAIR of C-100s and half a dozen Panasonic DSLRs for the reporters.

Look back at what Apple shed. Stuff that's pretty much ALL supplanted by new approaches.

Color? Selling color software for more than dinner and a movie money for two couples -(which sadly today might be a couple of HUNDRED bucks! ) is kinda tough.

Trade shows? When you get at best hundreds of thousands of eyeballs for a million dollar investment in a trade show - and Apple can get Millions for a webcast of WWDC or a product launch, the value proposition is kinda stark.

Again, the change wasn't so much OF the industry - it was kinda imposed ON the industry. Parts of it, at least.

Who knows where it will wind up.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 3, 2016 at 12:41:53 pm

[Bill Davis] "To me the message was that the "professional video space" was changing fast. And Apple wanted to get ahead of that."

Well that's a funny spin on it :). First of all, I don't interpret Apple's use of the "pro" moniker as ever meaning "for the professional". Merely that it's for the advanced user more so than the non-pro or "standard" user. Secondly, when Apple pulled back from these tools, they actually burned quite a few customers who were building businesses around Apple products in a certain configuration. That left a very bad taste, enough so that I'm personally aware of companies who put out the word internally that they would never accept any RFP that contained Apple items - hardware or software.

I think the change from the FCP Studio era to the FCPX era was a course correction made by either Jobs or Schiller. They probably felt that this trend was moving Apple into a direction that they didn't want to go in so they pulled the reins in. So while X has many wonderful features for professional video users, I don't think the target (outside of maybe the ProApps folks) is the professional video market. The target is much broader and if that overlaps with video pros, so much the better. (PS - add Aperture to the list.)

Color - that was a market they were building. I doubt money factored into the decision. Dropping it was another middle finger.

Trade shows - you are talking about mass appeal. I'm talking about a relationship with the industry. Two different approaches. Clearly Apple used to think they wanted a relationship, but obviously changed their mind. Given that, I think it's pretty obvious why the industry reacted the way it did. As Walter Murch so famously said (paraphrasing): "I think Apple likes us, but I don't know if they love us.". :)

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 3, 2016 at 3:22:25 pm

[Oliver Peters] "To add further context to this, FCPX launched after a string of Apple withdrawals from the professional video space."

Lovingly chronicled here back in 2011, by yours truly:

FCPX and the Domino Effect 1: Setting Them Up
https://library.creativecow.net/soyka_walter/FCPX-Domino-Effect-1/1

FCPX and the Domino Effect 2: Knocking Them Down
https://library.creativecow.net/soyka_walter/FCPX-Domino-Effect-2/1

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 3, 2016 at 4:02:12 pm

[Bill Davis] "Yes. You are."

Care to elaborate? 'Cause this

[Bill Davis] "Which leaves only a couple of possibilities. Those that HAD been put under NDA were the source of the early "it's crap" spin (which is awful to even consider) - OR, as I contend, it was opinions formed largely out of pure ignorance. "

and this

[Bill Davis] " But I still contend that IF the default defensive position here is over-focused on the the preferences of those 100 folks who got the Apple sneak peak in 2011 (and their subsequently spreading so much IRE simply because it didn't meet their needs at the time"

make it sound like you are saying the people that got the early look under NDA sowed the seeds of discontent that resulted in stuff going sideways enough that we are still talking about it 5yrs later.

[Oliver Peters] "So what sort of message do those things suggest?
"

Right, which comes back to my point that the fireworks that happened when X launched weren't just about X. There were a number of issues at play and X, and part of how Apple launched it, were the final straws.

[Bill Davis] "To me the message was that the "professional video space" was changing fast. And Apple wanted to get ahead of that."

Ahead of it or mostly out of it because they saw higher margins, and less demanding customers, elsewhere? ;)

Shared storage and MAMs seem to be more common than five years ago, but Apple doesn't do low margin hardware and X probably is probably as much of a MAM as they want to deal with. I think it's the same thing that went down with Shake. Apple just reevaluated and determined they no longer wanted to be as deep down the post production rabbit hole as they had been.

I agree that many (most?) local TV stations aren't all that local anymore, but look at where programing has increased (and I don't mean YouTube). There's the obvious ones like the original programing on services like Amazon and Netflix (I think Netflix said they wanted to release something like 600 hrs of original content this year) and then maybe the less obvious original content generators like the NFL, MLB, WWE and UFC. The NFL is the only one that doesn't offer an OTT service, but between their cable channel and their website they generate a lot of content. These guys aren't hiring randoms off Craigslist to work out of their mom's basement to create this content.

[David Mathis] "I agree with what you are saying. On the other hand FCP X does not include so many features for the build as you go camp. Neither approach is wrong just goes with what works for you.
I prefer to add on as needed and the way Final Cut is built does encourage third party products which is a great thing. I can choose what I need and go from there."

Not all features can be added by third parties though. For example, multicam and a full quality video output had to be added by Apple. So would any advancements to audio mixing that many users seem to ask for. I agree with you about Apple's 'leave it up to 3rd parties' approach as that could encourage more 3rd party development (since they wouldn't be as worried about their product being made unnecessary by Apple rolling out the same feature in a future version of X). In a previous thread I'd brought of 3D text as an example of Apple adding a new 'core' feature (the 3D engine) but leaving it up to third parties to really exploit it. I've heard some 3rd parties devs say they wished Apple would open up X a bit more though. I was talking with a dev the other day and they commented on how much is available in Premiere but people are only just starting to tap into it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 3, 2016 at 4:21:46 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Not all features can be added by third parties though."

I think it's important to note that Apple has followed two guidelines in their approach to this. The first is that some tools that existed in FCP "classic" used licensed software. EDL export is an example of this. Apple chose not to relicense third party code and, therefore, this and probably other elements were simply not added back in.

The second guideline is that Apple chose not to do things that they felt would result in an imperfect solution. Obviously they could have created the same tools to go between FCP7 and FCPX as Intelligent Assistance has created. In fact, Apple actually said it wasn't possible. We now know that wasn't quite true. It just simply might not have been the complete, seamless translation that Apple wanted to put their name on. Therefore they opted not to do it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 3, 2016 at 4:46:30 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Obviously they could have created the same tools to go between FCP7 and FCPX as Intelligent Assistance has created. In fact, Apple actually said it wasn't possible. "

The fiasco around brining in FCP 7 projects has always stuck in my head as an example of Apple being blinded by their own ideology. How someone thought not being able to import old FCP projects was a good idea is beyond me. And then to say it was impossible only to have Philip do it a few months later. To you point they obviously knew it could be done, they had to have known that the user base would want it (because the user base had always had it) but they omitted it anyway because it wouldn't be 'perfect'. Just tone deaf. The inability to bring in FCP 7 projects coupled with the ability to bring in iMovie projects was just iMovie Pro canon fodder.

Return to posts index

Philip Hodgetts
on Jun 3, 2016 at 7:26:41 pm

Just to be clear: No-one at Apple ever said the translation from FCP 7 to FCP X was "impossible". The original was "It is not possible to translate from FCP 7 to FCP X with perfect fidelity". Two prominent community leaders decided to drop the last bit and continually misquote what Richard said.

Philip Hodgetts
President, Intelligent Assistance
Personal Blog http://philiphodgetts.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 3, 2016 at 8:00:02 pm

[Philip Hodgetts] "The original was "It is not possible to translate from FCP 7 to FCP X with perfect fidelity"."

Thanks for the clarification. Although that's certainly a nuanced difference, it really gets down to semantics. From this AppleInsider story at the time (assuming they quoted accurately) the FAQ uses the language of "impossible to translate old projects without changing or losing data". That seems a bit more troubling than "perfect fidelity". Of course, it's all water under the bridge these days.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 3, 2016 at 5:57:04 pm

THIS seems entirely fair and on point to me.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 3, 2016 at 3:36:20 am

[Andrew Kimery] " Or am I misunderstanding you?"

Yes. You are.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 2, 2016 at 6:40:05 pm

[Steve Connor] "BTW I like the style of the Tutorials Bill"

Thank you Steve.

I'm reminded of that Blaise Pascal paraphrase thing I used to have hanging over my desk every time I sit down to write a batch of XinTwos.

"I would have written you a shorter letter if I had more time."

As everyone here knows, my default is typically never to use 50 words when 1000 will also do the job. So this has been interesting, for sure.

; )

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 3, 2016 at 12:29:19 am

And while all this revisionist history is being argued and FCPX users have only had Automatic Duck to bring any excitement in May, the third public beta of Resolve 12.5 has been in the wild for a week with another dazzling array of new features and performance improvements.

Some of it may well be catchup but take a look at the keyframing enhancements, metadata management and a bunch of new FX built in without needing third parties to pick up the slack.

Round tripping to Fusion is now working and built in, not needing a smart third party developer. Sure much of Blackmagic's dev is catching up to X & Pr editing features (it clearly has a great headstart on grading) but the speed and determination is worth noting while we debate about how many years it took Apple to put 'must have features' back into X in those early years.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 3, 2016 at 2:51:50 am

I agree with what you are saying. On the other hand FCP X does not include so many features for the build as you go camp. Neither approach is wrong just goes with what works for you.
I prefer to add on as needed and the way Final Cut is built does encourage third party products which is a great thing. I can choose what I need and go from there.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 3, 2016 at 4:09:45 am

[David Mathis] "I can choose what I need and go from there.
"

Poppycock! - (laughing)

If the customer has been buying six packs of root beer for YEARS and is HAPPY - don't ever make them switch to a new-fangled soda dispensing robot machine.

They'll go NUTS and hate you.

Some months later...

"Honey, you want regular or diet, caffeine or caffeine free - lime, raspberry, cherry, or vanilla flavor in your soda?"

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Jun 3, 2016 at 1:49:21 pm

I agree... It keeps it from becoming bloatware with a bunch of stuff I rarely, if ever need.

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

17" MacBook Pro | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 3 | FCPX | Motion 5 | Compressor 4

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 3, 2016 at 9:04:40 pm

[Michael Gissing] "And while all this revisionist history is being argued and FCPX users have only had Automatic Duck to bring any excitement in May, the third public beta of Resolve 12.5 has been in the wild for a week with another dazzling array of new features and performance improvements. "

IMHO, Blackmagic Design delivered THE big desktop-post NAB performance this year with Resolve 12.5. Sure, they drop massive releases every year, but Resolve 12.5 is the first release of just about anything from BMD that strikes me as a bit "boring" -- that is, it is completely focused on daily user issues. It's not a pile of cool, marketing-driven, wowie-zowie-demo features meant to gloss over an obvious deficiency. It's the work BMD needs to do to eliminate those deficiencies.

If you've been studiously ignoring Resolve (like I have), I think it's time to stop.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 3, 2016 at 9:35:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "If you've been studiously ignoring Resolve (like I have), I think it's time to stop."

What I find interesting is this. If FCPX users were completely happy with what Apple is doing with X, none of them would have any interested in Resolve as an NLE. Clearly that doesn't appear to be the case. I would think it's more than just a step back to a traditional source-record-track model. Something definitely is missing in X, even for those who like it a lot.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 3, 2016 at 9:42:07 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Something definitely is missing in X, even for those who like it a lot."

What do you think that might be?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 3, 2016 at 9:50:14 pm

[Walter Soyka] "What do you think that might be?"

I'm not sure. Maybe that Resolve takes a wider range of native media. Maybe that the speed of development in Resolve is putting Apple to shame. Could be a lot of things. Free could also be part of it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 4, 2016 at 6:54:13 pm

[Oliver Peters] "What I find interesting is this. If FCPX users were completely happy with what Apple is doing with X, none of them would have any interested in Resolve as an NLE. Clearly that doesn't appear to be the case. I would think it's more than just a step back to a traditional source-record-track model. Something definitely is missing in X, even for those who like it a lot."

Well, lets not overlook at least two of the other HUGE factors.

A - Resolve is not just FREE, it's bundled with lots of industry sensible BM hardware purchases. (For many of us, reminiscent of how Windows initially took over the personal computing world,)

B - Combined with the fact that currently, Resolve remains an excellent color grading app first, and an NLE second.

It's pretty hard not to notice that market interest in grading is very much on the rise.

No way to know how "Resolve NLE" would do if it was in direct "pay to play" head to head competition with all the other NLEs.

Also editorial thinking outside of the X camp continues to "think" in the traditional tracks that have been the default mode for the entire history of electronic editing.

Add all that up and IMO, any surprise at the rise of interest in Resolve, would be weird.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 4, 2016 at 7:34:49 pm

[Bill Davis] "Add all that up and IMO, any surprise at the rise of interest in Resolve, would be weird."

My only surprise is the rise among FCPX editors, although I might be feeling like there's more of that than there really is.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 4, 2016 at 8:15:49 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 4, 2016 at 8:23:36 pm

[Oliver Peters] "My only surprise is the rise among FCPX editors, although I might be feeling like there's more of that than there really is."

Or it might be a tiny bit harder to notice here on the Cow...

The simple metrics of the site are pretty stark as to coverage branding if you just scan the surface...

If you put the board in "alphabetical" sort and look at the brand coverage...
19 Adobe Topics
7 Apple (3 just Legacy - 1 Motion)
3 Black Magic
1 AVID

Even bigger contrast if you sort by categories...
39 forums with Adobe in the title
16 with Apple (half of them for deprecated products)
8 with BlackMagic.
2 for AVID

Totally fair observation could be made that the difference simply reflects the reality of the wide scope of the Adobe offerings.

But if you're looking for someplace to get your car fixed, if the preponderance of the signs are all about Chevy Branded services - and you don't drive a Chevy - it kinda does send a pretty clear signal about the shop focus. That they have Ford or Fiat badges mixed in, might be enough to make you feel at home. But you kinda know that's not where this particular shop is focused. Consider that here on the Cow, visitors get a custom place to discuss Prelude and SpeedGrade, but nowhere to discuss Compressor?
Maybe it's just because Compressor isn't complex enough to to generate the traffic to deserve a separate forum. Nothing wrong with that.

This isn't a big thing.

It's completely fair to give people what they're looking for - and the Adobe CC ecosystem absolutely deserves the coverage (maybe totally NEEDS it considering the complexity of navigating all the various standalone offerings - many of which have very large and "hungry for expertise" constituencies."

Just noting that there IS a very visible difference.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 4, 2016 at 10:41:47 pm

[Bill Davis] "Consider that here on the Cow, visitors get a custom place to discuss Prelude and SpeedGrade, but nowhere to discuss Compressor? "

There used to be many more Apple sections but Apple keeps killing its products, which means discussions about the products eventually die which means the forums eventually go away. BTW, there is a general compression forum at the COW where you can talk about Compressor if you want and if there was enough discussions just about Compressor I'm sure there would be a Compressor forum just like there used to be a Soundtrack Pro forum, a DVD SP forum, a Color forum, an Xsan forum, a LiveType forum, a Shake forum, etc.,.

What would be weird is if Adobe and Apple had the same amount of forums on the COW (or if Apple had more) even though Adobe offers a much broader product line.

In my experience forums (and I mean forums in general, not just the COW) are driven by their users. People will talk about what interests them whether or not there is a specific place to talk about it, and if the talk about a certain subject is frequent enough then a new forum will be made just for that subject. For example, on DVXUser they recently added a Coloring/Grading forum because a user asked for it and enough other users showed support for it. If it gains traction it will stick around but if it's mostly a ghost town it will eventually disappear. Probably the most germane example for us is this very forum. It didn't exist until discussions about X started appearing all over the COW and Tim moved them all under one banner. If there was never a debate there never would have been a Debate forum.

[Bill Davis] "But if you're looking for someplace to get your car fixed, if the preponderance of the signs are all about Chevy Branded services - and you don't drive a Chevy - it kinda does send a pretty clear signal about the shop focus. "

Or it sends a pretty clear signal that GM just sells cars under a lot of brands. 13 to be exact. Toyota, on the other hand, just has two brands; Toyota and Lexus (Scion is getting absorbed into Toyota). If the shop is open to servicing any make/model of car why would you expect the list of Toyotas to be the same length as the list of GMs?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 5, 2016 at 12:42:25 am

[Andrew Kimery] "There used to be many more Apple sections but Apple keeps killing its products, "

It's all Apples fault.

Got it.

; -)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 5, 2016 at 1:06:32 am

[Bill Davis] "It's all Apples fault."

Well now that that's settled... ;)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 5, 2016 at 8:08:12 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "[Bill Davis] "It's all Apples fault."

Well now that that's settled... ;)"

Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking? NEW FORUM NAME!!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 5, 2016 at 9:08:34 pm

Where are my emojis when I really need them?

; )

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 3, 2016 at 3:13:50 pm

[Bill Davis] "If someone as "outside" as ME could kinda see what Apple was actually doing - the fact that much more industry connected, experienced and smarter people then me missed the early potential is kinda MORE shocking. "

Determining the present value of future potential is very, very hard.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jun 3, 2016 at 6:38:19 pm

To me Apple's launch presented existing users of FCP7 with a fork in the road. Switch to X , which was incomplete and required a steep learning curve due to its very different concepts. or switch to something easier to grasp, which was Premiere Pro. In that launch they lost most of a generation of editors and it carries on. At the local college film school, trying to talk to almost any teacher or student about FCPX today is an exercise in futility. The response I get are the same we heard in 2011. I am a one man band and took the less traveled path and enjoy FCPX, but within our local community it makes collaboration difficult.

Could Apple have made a smoother, more helpful transition? Sure, but to sell a radically different approach to existing editors would require overwhelming benefits and I think FCPX can't make that case. Hopefully, it is doing better in the next generation, unless they go to film schools.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 3, 2016 at 9:30:02 pm

This article seems vaguely appropriate to this thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jun/02/ken-segall-apple-steve-j...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Jun 3, 2016 at 10:32:27 pm

I guess not much is changed. I was poking around on the FCP7 forum and ran into this advice from
----------------
David Roth Weiss on May 25, 2016 at 12:54:41 pm

X does indeed support 4K both natively and by transcoding to a mezzanine codec such as ProRes, which it does in the background. That being said, X does require that experienced users learn entirely new and unfamiliar nomenclature and editing techniques that are unfamiliar to most and require a learning curve that many are not willing to take the time to learn. In my opinion Premirre and Resolve offer most FCP user the easiest and most inuitve path for migration to a new NLE.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles
---------------------
I had to go back to 7 to try something and X and 7 are certainly different. It would now require a learning curve for me to use it after switching in 2011.
Claude Lyneis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]