FORUMS: list search recent posts

The one good thing that came out of FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
larry tempesta
The one good thing that came out of FCPX
on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:15:43 am

The one good thing from this whole FCPX insanity is that it taught me that as an editor I should know as many systems as I can. I can no longer be a "editing snob" where I'll only use FCP and all others are obsolete. I learned on Avid and switch to FCP mainly for the price but a lot of my decision was because I hated how avid didn't listen to it's user, they were the worst to deal with. From what I hear now that's no longer the case. (Funny how that works, apple is now the old avid). So I will be purchasing media composer and Premier (with the awesome new cross over promotions) as well as learning FCPX which I already bought. Do I prefer FCP7 to everything else, with out a doubt, but instead of stomping my feet (which I've been doing for the last 2 weeks and they kinda hurt) I'm just going to take a bite out of everything. It's going to be information over load for me but in the end this will make me a better editor and there won't be job that I have to turn down because I only cut on FCP....win/win!$$

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
Re: The one good thing that came out of FCPX
on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:35:39 am

Amen man, there's no sense being married to one editing system, it's just software. The individual operating that software on the other hand, that's the important thing.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:42:18 am

Yes, it is definitely a good job to keep your bases covered. Of course, we all know this, but sometimes we get lazy. After CS3, I made of point of getting more familiar with Premiere, but even at that, my effort has only been about half-way.

It's easy to get lazy in your comfort zone. I think it is similar to how some of us (myself definitely included) let some of our lighting and lens manipulation skills get rusty in the 2000s when the digital video cameras got so good at some of the automatic stuff. Now that DSLR production is viable, those light meters and Nagras don't seem so antiquated any more (okay I've still forsaken my Nagra for an H4N, but you get my point).

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:16:56 am

You make an interesting point, but I can't help feeling that this is analogous to saying you should have multiple wives in case one disappoints you. One could argue that if you could trust the first one not to shaft you (as Apple has), then one would have been enough.

Just a thought...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:30:53 am

Not necessarily, knowing multiple editing systems is good because sometimes the job will demand it. I learned on FCP but I know Premiere Pro and Avid too, and good thing... because my job is at a TV station that uses Premiere Pro exclusively. I had learned Premiere Pro for an internship and was using it on certain projects already and good thing because I wouldn't have my job right now if I had just stuck with FCP. I am brushing up on my Avid skills too in case I wind up at an Avid house at some point in the future. Editing systems are not wives and the market demands knowledge of different systems.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]