FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Simpsons and Adobe

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
The Simpsons and Adobe
on May 15, 2016 at 5:42:43 pm

Tonight The Simpsons will have a 'live' segment thanks in part to Adobe Character Animator. People can call in and ask Homer questions and Dan Castellaneta, the voice of Homer, will answer them in real time, on air using Adobe Character Animator. Talk about working w/o a safety net... I haven't tuned in for a new episode of the Simpsons in ages but I'm going to check this out (or if I forget I'm sure I'll be able to find it on YouTube...).

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/05/13/how-the-simpsons-will-pull-off-a-...

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: The Simpsons and Adobe
on May 15, 2016 at 6:50:59 pm

I think Stephen Colbert may be using it, too. ;)

- RK

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 15, 2016 at 8:24:36 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I think Stephen Colbert may be using it, too. ;)"

Hey, can't argue with God. lol

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2016 at 3:30:16 pm

Not to toot Disney World's horn again, but I was pretty blown away by a live show I saw there where the kids sat in front a of huge screen where an animated talking turtle took questions from the crowd live. It was swimming around in a simulated tank. The weird thing is it also looked at the kids right in the eye and the turtle was pretty dang funny too. Good off the cuff improv. But I guess he does it all day all every day. Still not completely sure how they pulled it off. I have to think a combo of an adobe type solution with a guy hidden that can see the kids and look in the right direction. He also calls them out by the shirt their wearing or what they're doing.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on May 16, 2016 at 3:39:54 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on May 16, 2016 at 3:43:49 pm

That is faaaaar above and beyond what Adobe is doing. As in night and day. Even if certain basic similarities in the execution exist, sure.

"The show is a blend of computer graphic techniques, image projection, and interactive improvisation.

The "Window to the Pacific" is a large rear-projection screen portraying an animated undersea environment. The animated image of Crush is a computer graphic avatar controlled by a puppet, operated by a backstage actor/puppeteer whose performance is digitized in real time. Crush's movements and voice-activated lip synch are rendered on the fly and are projected at 60 frames per second, so that the turtle's mouth moves in synchronization with the actor's words. Digital puppetry techniques allow the puppeteer's movements to control the body motions of the projected turtle image. The technology enables each show to be different as Crush responds uniquely to each individual audience.

Using cameras mounted in the theater, the hidden actor can see the audience with whom he is interacting, and thus can refer to the specific appearance and behavior of particular questioners, as well as their location in the theatre. The actor's performance is a combination of semi-scripted banter and improvised responses to guests' questions and comments, delivered in a mimicry of the character voice from the film (originally performed by Andrew Stanton)." - Wikipedia

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2016 at 3:45:52 pm

It's truly amazing in person. The funny thing is to the kids this is just the reality. As are cell phones and the internet.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2016 at 3:52:47 pm

While it lasts, a YouTube link for Homer if you weren't able to catch live last night. A little stilted at times, not the crash and burn of Microsoft demoing Kinect Avatars a few E3's ago.

Simpsons -

Microsoft -

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2016 at 2:59:21 pm

This is actually really impressive.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 19, 2016 at 5:57:28 pm

A bit more detail about how the live Homer was pulled off.

https://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/the-simpsons-live-how-you-can-do-it-your...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]