FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make a non-magnetic timeline!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
How to make a non-magnetic timeline!
on Jul 4, 2011 at 5:39:45 pm

A lot of people have asked if it is possible to "turn off" the magnetic timeline - strictly speaking you can't but the workaround is very simple indeed.

Starting with a blank timeline, insert a gap (Opt/W) and, using Ctrl/D, make it at least as long as you think you might want your program to run.

Then edit using only the Connect tool, not the Overwrite or Insert tools.

That way your timeline will work pretty much exactly as if it was a traditional non-rippling timeline (and you won't have to resort to using to Position tool). [Technically your edited clips will be connected to the gap on the primary storyline, but you don't need to worry about that because it won't actually affect anything.]

Of course, if you want rippling behaviour to take place then you'll need to Insert edit into the the primary storyline where relevant. But if you don't want to go there, you have a choice!

There are a number of refinements that you could use with this, but for "magnetic-timeline-ophobes" it's a perfectly good starting point as is.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: How to make a non-magnetic timeline!
on Jul 4, 2011 at 5:52:56 pm

I guess if there is a will, there is a way...

Doesn't sound like a good idea though. The whole editing model of FCPX is based on using the product in the way it was intended. Trying to force it to work another way, sounds like an exercise in frustration. If you hate FCPX and can't adjust to it, you really should just switch to Adobe. It pretty much works the way you want it to.

People who try to make an Avid work like FCP (or vice versa) are always the most frustrated editors. Each system has its own way of doing things and its best to learn it rather than fight it. FCP X is no different.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 4, 2011 at 6:00:59 pm

[John Pale] "People who try to make an Avid work like FCP (or vice versa) are always the most frustrated editors. Each system has its own way of doing things and its best to learn it rather than fight it. FCP X is no different."

Absolutely - although the worst of all are the AVID editors who wanted to make FCP work like AVID ;-)

I was suggesting this workaround (semi-tongue-in-cheek) more to point out that FCPX isn't quite as limited in its available functionality as the magnetic timeline debate has frequently suggested.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jul 4, 2011 at 8:22:07 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Absolutely - although the worst of all are the AVID editors who wanted to make FCP work like AVID ;-)"

:)

I teach Avid to FCP courses. I sort of agree..

However.. This mainly affect selftought editors, as I'd do believe you can make FCP quite Avid-like if you're prorperly trained. The other way around is harder

And trying to make FCPX behave like ANY other traditional NLE... Now there is a task condemned to frustration.

Hector Berrebi
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:11:37 am

Also see using the "P".

Izzyvideo at 9:50

http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/8-tools-in-final-cut-pro-...

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]