FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Sending 65GBs over the interwebs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
OT: Sending 65GBs over the interwebs
on Apr 20, 2016 at 3:12:37 pm

Does anyone know of a service that allows accelerated uploads of giant files (2 file totaling 65ish GBs), a link for download, and NOT have a monthly subscription fee?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: OT: Sending 65GBs over the interwebs
on Apr 20, 2016 at 3:32:29 pm

At the very least, you should check out Signiant Media Shuttle. They have a free trial that allows you to send a file, no size limit. http://info.signiant.com/Send-A-FIle_Form.html

You're right though that most of these seem oriented toward people who are doing this constantly, rather than a few now and again...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:13:29 pm

[Tim Wilson] "You're right though that most of these seem oriented toward people who are doing this constantly, rather than a few now and again..."

I need a FedEx of files. I need to start that business, is really what I should do. :)

Signiant is fantastic. I have been on the receiving end.

Starting "professional" price is $15,000/year. I'm not even going to touch a free demo for that. :)

Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:27:41 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I need a FedEx of files. I need to start that business, is really what I should do. :)"

Remember when YouSendIt was a thing? That'd be cool.

In the meantime, FedEx may in fact be your best solution. Unless the client is in a location where they can access the internet but can't receive FedEx.

Tron?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:32:33 pm

Have you looked at Aspera? It's more enterprise level so it might have the same problem as Signiant.

http://asperasoft.com/

If you're file sizes were smaller then WeTransfer would be an option (limit is 20gig)

Have you looked at HighTail (formerly YouSendIt)? Their "Pro" level says there are no file size limits.

https://www.hightail.com/pricing

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:42:36 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Have you looked at HighTail (formerly YouSendIt)? Their "Pro" level says there are no file size limits.

https://www.hightail.com/pricing
"

I have, but it's monthly. We already have multiple file transfer services and options in place, I just can't send 65GBs.

Aspera is also amazing, but you are right in that it's also enterprise level.

Oh well, I will make do with ftp (gulp).

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:47:18 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Oh well, I will make do with ftp (gulp)."

What about BitTorrent Sync?

https://www.getsync.com/

We've used it a couple times for the scenario you describe, and it's way less scary than ftp.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:49:52 pm

Yeah, I thought about a torrent as well, but bailed as I thought it may be too 'complicated'?

Did your client (or the receiving end) have any issues with it? I am trying to make it really easy for them.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:58:13 pm

BitTorrent Sync uses torrent technology, without the dodginess of torrent clients.

I think it's reasonably easy to set up, but it is more than single-click. I think we did a quick screen recording that showed how to install and configure. Perhaps a quick interactive screensharing session would be helpful to make sure everything is correct?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:34:24 pm

[Tim Wilson] "In the meantime, FedEx may in fact be your best solution. Unless the client is in a location where they can access the internet but can't receive FedEx. "

FedEx is easy! But this client needs it in a certain spot digitally. It's a long convoluted story for another time.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 20, 2016 at 4:54:45 pm

Some sort of digital courier service. I'd get in on that.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 20, 2016 at 8:14:18 pm

Why not use Extreme Reach?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 20, 2016 at 8:20:22 pm

Client doesn't have a destination code. :)

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 21, 2016 at 4:39:46 am

The Bittorent solution might take a little more to set up but once that's done a client shouldn't have to do more than click on a link to launch the torrent app and then select where to save the file. Most people will have an I.T. guy somewhere that can do the initial install for them.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 21, 2016 at 5:21:23 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 21, 2016 at 5:27:32 pm

Thanks, Jeff, and everyone, for your insight.

I got the first file up via ftp in about 10 hours. The next file is still big, but smaller.

I would have like to do the torrent option, but it was just too 'difficult' (not really, but you know what I mean).

This is only a one or three off transfer at the most. If I had to do this all the time, I would definitely explore a torrent.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:32:21 pm

I'm curious about BitTorrent for solving these large file transfer problems, but, my clients and superiors would be put off by it's "seedy" reputation, and security concerns. What's a good background resource on Torrenting for answering the concerns of "legitimate" users?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:38:46 pm

BitTorrent Sync uses the same transport technology as BitTorrent, but not the same seedy (get it?) tracker system. The link I shared above is probably the best resource for describing the legitimate use.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Phillip Hollweg
on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:50:43 pm

So far as uploading goes, I have read FTP over TCP/IP is not the fastest use of bandwidth. Google Chrome uses a faster Google network protocol to Google sites and services. Google Apps for Work Unlimited is $10/user/m, and can be shared with anyone. I have not tested side by side, but it might give a faster upload speed over the same pipe as FTP, and the unlimited sharing is inexpensive for a small number of employees.

(We are trying to find a way to upload 24TB of data to Google apps. Upgrading our bandwidth for a month seems to be the only option. So, I have been looking into this recently...)

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
on Apr 21, 2016 at 10:03:08 pm

I'd second Google Drive - very fast and with a file size limit of 5TB.

Alternatively/additionally, I've occasionally used a tool to split a file into multiple xxMB chunks and asked the recipient to concatenate on their end (something like this). This was the perfect solution for unreliable FTPs that might lose a connection on anything larger than 500MB. To play it safe, I would provide MD5 checksums for everything as well.

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]