FORUMS: list search recent posts

Let's get back to what really matters around here. What is Apple going to 'show'. Or not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Let's get back to what really matters around here. What is Apple going to 'show'. Or not?
on Apr 16, 2016 at 11:21:47 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 16, 2016 at 11:30:30 pm

...at the NAB.

Anything? Everything?

Nothing?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Let's get back to what really matters around here. What is Apple going to 'show'. Or not?
on Apr 17, 2016 at 4:28:25 am

Are you smoking the funny stuff again! :). You KNOW that Apple doesn't show anything new at NAB and hasn't for years. The last couple of years in press meetings they just went over the features of a release that had come out the month or so prior. There is no such release yet and there are no press briefings this time around. They will have a "state of FCPX" presentation Monday and Tuesday mornings at FCP Exchange.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Let's get back to what really matters around here. What is Apple going to 'show'. Or not?
on Apr 17, 2016 at 1:45:56 pm

I know Apple doesn't 'show' anything specifically, but we know that Apple is always there in some capacity.

They announced X at NAB, they've released versions before NAB in the past, and X is due for another decent refresh.

So your answer is 'nothing'? :)

Return to posts index

Leo Hans
on Apr 17, 2016 at 2:09:00 pm

That's not quite true. They showed the last big update at the FCPWORKS suite. Why do I know? I was there.

Leo Hans
Editor AVID - Final Cut Pro (7+X)
http://www.leohans.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 17, 2016 at 2:27:30 pm

When they've had updates, that they showed there, they also had private press and key customer briefings in the weekend leading into NAB. There have been no such briefings this year. Whatever is in the hopper simply isn't ready, even though ProApps doesn't abide by the NAB product cycle anyway.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 17, 2016 at 2:33:16 pm

PS and in the past few years in those private briefings, they never announced anything that hadn't already been publicly released, with the exception of partner product announcements that would be revealed on Monday by those other companies. For example, last year they went over 3D Text, which had already been publicly announced.

Their story this year is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Roy Pearson
on Apr 17, 2016 at 5:38:44 pm

3D Text was publicly announced before NAB 2015? I didn't hear about it until that Monday last year.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2015/04/13Apple-Updates-Final-Cut-Pro-X-Mot...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 18, 2016 at 3:57:06 am

You are correct. I misremembered.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 19, 2016 at 1:08:59 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 19, 2016 at 1:10:38 am

So here's the deal. If you were a random person standing in the hallway at the Rennaissance outside the FCPExchange presentation by Apple this morning, you might well have noticed that every attendee allowed into the room literally had to sign a multipage NDA prior to admission. Same for tomorrow I'm sure. Interpret that however you like.

Personal meta level comment :
First time I ever heard of one being used at an event that was functionally "open to the public" rather than with some select group of insiders.

Basically, the only "barrier" between any individual and the event (presuming access to Las Vegas and free time yesterday) was enough personal interest and free time to sign up and attend.

As far as I'm aware, you didn't even need an NAB Badge

Whoever said a huge part of life is just showing up? Kinda nailed it this time.

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2016 at 1:15:03 am

[Bill Davis] "Whoever said a huge part of life is just showing up? Kinda nailed it this time."

f/8 and be there!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 19, 2016 at 1:26:47 am

[Bill Davis] "So here's the deal. If you were a random person standing in the hallway at the Rennaissance outside the FCPExchange presentation by Apple this morning, you might well have noticed that every attendee allowed into the room literally had to sign a multipage NDA prior to admission. Same for tomorrow I'm sure. Interpret that however you like.

Personal meta level comment :
First time I ever heard of one being used at an event that was functionally "open to the public" rather than with some select group of insiders.

Basically, the only "barrier" between any individual and the event (presuming access to Las Vegas and free time yesterday) was enough personal interest and free time to sign up and attend.

As far as I'm aware, you didn't even need an NAB Badge

Whoever said a huge part of life is just showing up? Kinda nailed it this time.
"

New 4D titler for everyone!! heheh i kid.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 19, 2016 at 6:31:27 am

The same rumors on fcp.co...
NDA for everyone, major new version, lots of enthousiasm in the room...

Very curious if this is a release in a couple of days or something that's weeks/months off and people were given a preview.

https://mathieughekiere.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 19, 2016 at 7:49:34 am

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "NDA for everyone, major new version, lots of enthousiasm in the room...

Very curious if this is a release in a couple of days or something that's weeks/months off and people were given a preview."

If it's under NDA and there's no announcement at NAB, then I expect there will be a bit of a wait

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:08:36 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "The same rumors on fcp.co...
NDA for everyone, major new version, lots of enthousiasm in the room.."

So they are showing some people, something new.

I wouldn't have guessed that scenario.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 19, 2016 at 8:06:36 am

[Bill Davis] "Whoever said a huge part of life is just showing up? Kinda nailed it this time.
"

How big was the smile on your face, scale of 1-10?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 20, 2016 at 1:32:38 am

It was a big smile, no need to arbitrarily quantify it. It would have probably been even bigger if I wasn't a bit shell shocked. I had honestly expected nothing more than a variation on the type of "marketing update" that highlighted case studies - the kind of thing quite a few of us have seen before.

When the realization sunk in that we might actually see something more than that, it was more of just a pulse racing thing.

Was I smiling afterwards? You bet.

A couple of years ago, during one of the Facebook Google Hangouts a few of us do regularly - (Remember, I am talking about a specific conversation YEARS ago, not as any metaphor for the present Really). Richard Taylor asked us about what we wanted to see for X in the future. There were lots of ideas.

When it came time for me to toss in my two cents, what I remember hoping for wasn't a particular feature, or to bring back something I used to have but that I was missing. I remember saying something like "Hey, this is a new tool full of new thinking and new ideas" what I want is for the Apple FCP X team to do things that SURPRISE me.

More features and more basic capabilities are great and always welcome - performance improvements are also ABSOLUTELY great. But they don't really get my pulse racing.

Basically, and everyone around here knows, I've always believed that X represents lots of new thinking about what an NLE can be. And that essentially, there were things in it from DAY ONE that could improve how I do my work EVERY DAY because they let me approach everyday operations in new ways.

That's what has always excited me about this tool. The potential for evolution. Not JUST refinement of the things we already understand.

And when looking back, from magnetism to roles to clip collisions to the keywording engine, it's what makes X - well, X.

So yes, after the presentation I was smiling.

And that's where I feel I should leave this.

SuperMeet tonight.

More friends to see.

Awesome NAB this year.

Later.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 21, 2016 at 2:16:16 am

Apple must have some Bad Ass NDA ........

The radio silence about FCPX is deafening

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 21, 2016 at 4:35:37 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 21, 2016 at 4:38:56 am

In this case, I just suspect that most of us see talking out of school about this as a lose/lose thing.
I suppose you could try to track down the middle-aged (but younger then me!) wedding and event production couple I overheard chatting in the first demo - unlike the many NAB pros working on movies, tv and advertising in the modest crowd who also felt the Apple presentation worthy of their time, perhaps THEY won't take the whole NDA thing as seriously? But you'd have to ask them. And it's just possible they too, feel a signed promise is just that.

Just be patient. I've made it clear, and I think others will as well, that we saw something beyond our expectations. And just as obviously, whatever that might be - won't be under NDA forever. So at some point, everyone gets to see what we saw and will be able to judge why Apple took this route. If at that time, you feel anyone, including me, over or under implied or "hyped" anything, you'll be completely free to take us to task. Until then, I suspect most of us will simply abide by our signed agreements.

Simple as that.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 21, 2016 at 11:27:08 am

My post was half in Jest. I know you guys signed agreements and have to honor them. If apple has been taking the submitted suggestions seriously and incorporating some of the most requested ones, FCPX will be even better than it is, not that it will make me a better editor necessarily.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:20:20 pm

Of course. No tool will ever make anyone a better editor. As I'm overly fond of saying, it's never the piano, it's the player. But it's also true that excellence in instrument conception and design removes barriers from a good player to help him or her be the best player they possibly can. A great example from FCP X 1.0 was the magnetic timeline. Back on its introduction, that was largely confused and misunderstood and we spent a lot of time right here on the Cow debating whether it represented too much unwanted "hand-holding" by the Apple designers. Nobody really argues that any more. By removing things like having to worry about clip collisions and track patching, X removed an obstruction from the editors focus on their real job - editing. After all, the more time an editors head is "in the game" the better, right? As viewed by lots of us know, magnetism is now just an everyday thing that works to let us focus better on the real task at hand. Firm following function and all.
That's all.

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:27:54 pm

Actually FCPX as compared to Legacy does make me a better editor, because the editing software bullshit kind of gets out of my way and lets me edit. I don't edit for a living, but I am spending more time at it and only doing that will make me a better editor. I welcome further enhancements to X even though it might take me years to really put them to good use.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 22, 2016 at 2:07:32 am

[Mark Smith] "Actually FCPX as compared to Legacy does make me a better editor"

(I bolded Mark's quote for emphasis)

Yeah, I've always thought that the whole "tools don't make the artist" thing is nonsense. Okay, maybe they don't MAKE the artist, but you CAN do better work with better tools.

You just can. Not a debate. LOL

Nor for that matter is it a matter of debate to ME when somebody says that X makes them a better editor, any more than it's matter of debate when somebody says that X is intolerable. If you say X makes you a better editor, or you say X is intolerable, I take your word for it, either way.

But anybody who says that tools don't matter, put on the gloves, son. LOL

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 21, 2016 at 1:01:10 pm

[Bill Davis] "you might well have noticed that every attendee allowed into the room literally had to sign a multipage NDA prior to admission. Same for tomorrow I'm sure. Interpret that however you like."

I will. Apple makes everyone sign an NDA for everything, including for food specials in the on-campus cafeteria.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]