FORUMS: list search recent posts

PremiumBeat: With Premiere Pro and FCPX on the Rise, Where Did Avid Go Wrong?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2016 at 5:54:47 pm

Short but interesting article pointing out Avid's mistakes. Of course one may argue that Avid has no interest in competing in markets outside of Hollywood anymore but the article notes PremierePro and even FCPX's move into that market (albeit still in finger counted on hands numbers).

http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/decline-of-avid-editing-software/

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PremiumBeat: With Premiere Pro and FCPX on the Rise, Where Did Avid Go Wrong?
on Apr 15, 2016 at 5:58:52 pm

Very poorly conceived and researched article. One big part of it is based on people who GOOGLED certain NLEs, not used them. That is no indicator of who's using what, where.

I am not saying Avid isn't in trouble...isn't without issues. It most certainly is. But the things laid out in the article are not it. Parts are, but it only scratches the surface, and just goes off the road in places. IMHO.

Big part of Avid's issues are the need to placate the old guard who don't want any changes...at all. And they are pretty vocal. And that's a thorn in Avid's side, for sure...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: PremiumBeat: With Premiere Pro and FCPX on the Rise, Where Did Avid Go Wrong?
on Apr 15, 2016 at 6:37:28 pm

[Shane Ross] "Big part of Avid's issues are the need to placate the old guard who don't want any changes...at all. And they are pretty vocal. And that's a thorn in Avid's side, for sure...
"

This has indeed been the biggest issue for Avid through the years. However, it's also why Avid still exists, and why it's not going away any time soon.

Innovation by Avid's development teams is typically rejected by longterm users, while it's expected and embraced everywhere else. It's pretty tough to grow a new audience when you've got little new to show.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 15, 2016 at 7:11:07 pm

Which begs the question, what happens when the old guard retires at a higher rate than they are replaced?
If the replacement rate were greater, Avid MC would be expanding even if slowly. Perhaps Avid is willing to let MC die by attrition.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 15, 2016 at 8:05:49 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Which begs the question, what happens when the old guard retires at a higher rate than they are replaced?"

Avid has certain tools that nobody else has and charges more for them. Until someone comes up with something better than Isis and ScriptSync, tools that are absolutely essential in some workflows, Avid will have a place in the market. Companies who need those tools will pay for it, because it makes them money. They will train people to use those tools and will find no shortage of willing workers because their niche, while small, is very glamorous. Nobody goes to film school dreaming of making a corporate video.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 15, 2016 at 9:18:06 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Until someone comes up with something better than Isis and ScriptSync,"

Last I heard, Phrase Find and Script Sync are not available to Avid. Seems Nexidia and Avid have been negotiating for 2 years on a deal to being it back. Which brings to another problem Avid has; it's senior team seems more interested in re-organization (or "transformation" as Louie puts it) and squeezing out cashflow than they seem to be in what the user base actually needs. Oh, and paying themselves a ton of money as noted on the L:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Avid-L2/conversations/topics/127866

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 15, 2016 at 7:34:51 pm

This article leaves much to be desired. And about MC|First? I asked about that on the Avid Community Forums and Avid people "think" it might be in beta, but "not to quote" them on that. Research please!

Then again, I remember debating over an article about Avid a year ago, where the author pointed out Avid's problems, its outlandish forward-looking statements, and predicted the stock would sink to $6. Many folks here called it a "hatchet-job" and the author had an axe to grind. As of now, Avid is at $5.89.

Not sayin', but just sayin'...

Question: is Premiere and AE in the same boat as Avid? Any big (and needed, IMHO) changes to the interface will set the "new old guard" howling? Just asking. ;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 15, 2016 at 7:52:10 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Question: is Premiere and AE in the same boat as Avid? Any big (and needed, IMHO) changes to the interface will set the "new old guard" howling?"

AE yes, Ppro no, for the simple reason that many Ppro users are fairly new to the system and spend much of their time trying to make it act like something else. Ppro has been changing constantly over the past 5 years and nobody is screaming yet. On the other hand AE users are very heavily invested in it's form and will balk at any but evolutionary change.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 15, 2016 at 8:18:29 pm

First, me too on everything Herb said. LOL Especially this:

[Herb Sevush] "Ppro has been changing constantly over the past 5 years and nobody is screaming yet. On the other hand AE users are very heavily invested in it's form and will balk at any but evolutionary change."

The example typically given is MC, but I completely agree: AE users are every bit as resistant to UI changes in particular.

[Craig Seeman] "Avid MC would be expanding even if slowly. "

There's no data to suggest it's not. Quite the contrary, there's data to suggest that Avid is regaining customers that were previously lost to FCP, a story which our own Mark Raudonis can tell.

The larger problem with the story is that all the assumptions are wrong, and the few data he cites go in a different direction than his story.

To use one small example among several, he mentions Hail, Caesar! -- yep, cut on Premiere, but the Coens had been using Final Cut Pro for years. Apple lost those customers, not Avid.

So let's ask the question, what did APPLE do wrong that has allowed Adobe Premiere to gain a foothold so quickly?

Anybody here have any suggestions about what Apple might have done wrong? LOL

I say ironically of course, because I boldly predicted in this very forum that FCPX would increase Apple's footprint 10x by the end of the first year. I am clearly an idiot. LOL But I felt that strongly about its potential, and it didn't come close to coming to pass. It may not have increased ANYTHING.

In fact, when this dude cited "some" of the major features made with FCPX and Premiere -- NO. He didn't cite SOME. He cited damn near ALL of them.

AGAIN SPEAKING STRICTLY OF MAJOR HOLLYWOOD,

AGAIN SPEAKING STRICTLY OF MAJOR HOLLYWOOD,

ACE's membership had shown Media Composer usage trending UP before the introduction of FCPX, which makes me sorry that they don't do the gear summary anymore....but the usage of MC in MAJOR HOLLYWOOD had been running right around 90% for years.

So let's see: last year there were 500-ish major studio and "major" indie releases -- how many more than 50 non-MC features do you think there were? Really?

Where then is the evidence that Avid is slipping AT ALL?

Again noting that he's talking about SHARE, not about DOLLARS. Any chimp knows why Avid's DOLLARS are slipping: their core product dropped from $20,000 to $5000 in a 3 year span, then drops down to a thousand bucks a few years later. The number of video-professional-focused storage vendors is going UP, not down.

Back to the article itself....

Shane's observation that Google searches are irrelevant is also dead on. When's Apple's peak? Spring of 2011. I WONDER WHY. How much of that Google traffic turned into money for Apple? It turns out, damn little.

Which suits Apple fine. That's no longer the game they're playing.

That chart doesn't tell you ANYTHING about the exact nature of the searches (presumably a good number of them containing words I can't repeat here), or how people felt about what they found.

Otherwise, we'd be looking at that chart and saying, Wow, Apple is the only company going down, and they're going down A LOT.

I'm not going to jump the rails and use that same stupid graph to SUPPORT my view, but look at what it's saying about MC over the past 10 years: damn near flat.

Which is EXACTLY what I'm saying. YES, the industry is experiencing explosive growth. We have a front row seat at the COW. I believe that we've done as much as anyone (and frankly, more than most) to facilitate it.

So it's easy for it to LOOK like Avid is falling behind...something...and they clearly ARE falling behind...some things...but NONE of them are the ones this guy identifies in the article! He really did get almost every single thing wrong.

Oh wait a minute. Let's check that chart again. Over the last 10 years, Adobe is WAY off their peak. Apple is WAY off THEIR peak. Avid is the ONLY company that's at a higher level than in 2005!!!! Barely, but there's no way you can draw a conclusion based on that chart that Avid's overall interest has slipped the tiniest hair. It simply hasn't. Not the tiniest hair.

Shoddy, shoddy analysis. Clearly not even looking at what he's typing. A sad waste of electrons.

There's also some bad business analysis there. I feel for my friends and family members who've been laid off. It's excruciating. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But layoffs may NOT ONLY be a sign that the ship is sinking, but they CAN be a sign that the ship is righting itself. "You know what? Our business has changed. We don't need as many people as we used to."

Not that I'm saying that's the case with Avid. I don't know. But I don't get the feeling that this guy does either. If he does know, he sure hasn't put it in that article.

There's a lot of interesting stuff around this topic, hence this forum, and hence me yapping on it when I'm not drowning in NAB stuff. (We're going to send out a newsletter a bit later today collecting our NAB stories so far. We typically get 700 or so a year. I think we've got over 2000 already.)

I think the BIGGEST thing he's missed is the extent to which Adobe has gotten things right. Yeah yeah subscription ransomware thievery customer disregard blah blah blah. Take your pick. Doesn't matter. They've got more customers than ever, are making more money than ever, have products that keeps getting better on top of some of the industry's most aggressive development....not to say that they don't need to do better...but really, who doesn't....

...and to underscore, I remain bullish both on Final Cut AND Avid too...

...which highlights the last of his problems that I'll point out for now. He's acting like it's a zero sum game, that just because I'm using one particular NLE now, I'll never ever ever use another again EVER.

Ficarra and Requa have mentioned in interviews that after WTF, their next project was a TV pilot cut on Avid. It reminded them of everything they don't like about MC, and highlighted everything they love about X...and yet, MC made sense, so they used it.

And yes, I bet they'll go back to X the first chance they get, but the COW is packed to the rafter with people using more than one NLE, while truly also being packed with people who'll never budge off their current choice...which, uhm, wasn't their current choice 6 or 7 years ago. LOL Or 2 years ago. LOL

My point being that it's easy to treat a snapshot as indicative of The Big Picture, but it's rarely true. And when the snapshot is as far out of focus as this one is, it's NEVER true.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 15, 2016 at 8:41:47 pm

Maybe this will help Avid:

http://mkm-marcomms.com/filmlight-and-avid-launch-professional-colour-bundl...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2016 at 12:32:12 pm

[Tim Wilson] "So let's ask the question, what did APPLE do wrong that has allowed Adobe Premiere to gain a foothold so quickly?

Anybody here have any suggestions about what Apple might have done wrong?"

I'll play. I am stuck in the Lubbock airport because Denver is getting a big snow storm. Let's see...

I think Apple did nothing wrong besides release a software that was still mid-beta. It was a crap PR event and a crap release. Very un-Apple. That's what they really did wrong. But developing X was a very right idea.

My opinion is that Adobe gained far more of the Legacy editor market than Avid. In almost every market I visit, the vast majority went from FCP7 to Adobe, and rarely do I see new Media Composer systems. I would say that Adobe CC is a bigger threat to Avid than FCP7 or an FCP8 could have been. Adobe is very comfy to an FCP7 editor. Personally I don't care for the software and all, but for most, it was an easier transition. Add to the fact that the first versions of X were crap and Adobe did very well at that point in time scooping up FCP7 users. More than Avid, I believe.

Apple has a mountain of cash and is a phone/computer company, not an NLE company. I have always felt that Apple really didn't care about the old-fart editor network (me being solidly in this group!) when it decided to kill FCP7 and introduce X. Incremental changes are not Apple's style. And since they don't depend on the post industry, they can do these major changes without looking back. They are looking at the new folks, not the old folks. Who cares what the Cohen brothers cut on (I don't care a lick either). If they get a few of us to switch to X, hey thats great. If not, no problem, as the idea never was to sway to current editor user-group. The company decided what it felt the NLE of the future will look like, built it and put it on the market. All this is good until Apple tires of the post production industry and kills the product. A real and understandable concern.

So if you put on the sometimes arrogant "Apple-goggles" I don't see them thinking they did anything wrong. They can wait for their new users to be born and the old guard to retire. Until they kill the product. Or pull another "X" on us.

On to Houston!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 16, 2016 at 4:46:04 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "hey are looking at the new folks, not the old folks."

If only there were a way to see such demographic study. We tend to look "up ladder" to see how widespread its use is in Hollywood, TV, maybe even higher end corporate work.

Apple may be looking to win an attrition battle though.

What NLE to people grab when making their first web series, indie film, even those entering the wedding video market, businesses bringing corporate/industrial video in house or, maybe the word or photo journalist being pushed into online video . These tend to be markets that have a younger demographic or, at least less experienced.

Is FCPX successfully grabbing the newbies and, more importantly, retaining them as they advance?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 17, 2016 at 3:05:39 am

[Scott Witthaus] "I would say that Adobe CC is a bigger threat to Avid than FCP7 or an FCP8 could have been."

I agree with everything you said Scott except for this. If Apple released FCP8 (retooled with new features such as 64-bit, GPU acceleration, redone multicam, background processing, etc., basically X but with a familiar GUI) then I doubt anyone gives PPro the time of day and Avid's market share keeps getting eroded. Both Adobe and Avid were doing a lot to improve their respective NLEs between 2006 and 2011, but Apple killing 7 and releasing X created a much needed opening for the competition.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 17, 2016 at 11:49:47 am

[Andrew Kimery] "If Apple released FCP8 (retooled with new features such as 64-bit, GPU acceleration, redone multicam, background processing, etc., basically X but with a familiar GUI) then I doubt anyone gives PPro the time of day and Avid's market share keeps getting eroded."

I can see your point. But that would still keep 8/X as basically a tracked-based editor destined to be pretty much the same as the other to A's. Apple did not want to play that game.

Perhaps Premiere is not where it is today, but you have to figure that long range development plans would've had Premiere getting to be a more equal part of the CS and now CC family. But, as you noted, the intro debacle of X and execution of 7 certainly helped and was a fortunate timing coincidence.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:06:09 pm

[Tim Wilson] "but I completely agree: AE users are every bit as resistant to UI changes in particular."

Yeah. Let's just e.g. bolt a SIXTH tracker onto AE with a SIXTH tab and SIXTH way of making it work. That's just so much more intuitive than finally biting the bullet and growing the maracas to make some real improvements and changes that affect the entire app in a positive way in the short AND long term. *sigh*

Like it or not, that's simply not an approach (as we can see) that Apple would consider. They have expanded the functionality of things such as the stabilizer and optical flow, without ANY new menus, mandatory selections or convoluted tabs to deal with. Zero. Additions/improvements were either automatic or essentially transparent. I absolutely LOVE AE as a whole, having used it since somewhere around '93, but MAN has it (along with all the rest), for me, become a confusing, over-tabbed patchwork of some sort of bizarre race to the Feature List Mount Olympus, with little regard for the users or (improved) usability… just PR. And still it's exponentially slower than that (one time!) $49 dollar app I have running on the side, that does near any and everything in real-time since 2005. Hmmm...

[Jeff Markgraf] "On the other hand, v8 has some good, long-needed improvements."

Far too little, far too late (as in 10+ years), no? And still... NO editing above 4K. Oh boy. Sorry, but even Avid can't exist without making actual money, which they haven't in something like TEN YEARS? Good luck with the "not going away any time soon" part, catering to such a microscopic part of the industry. Quite the optimism imho. But we'll see.

- RK

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: PremiumBeat: With Premiere Pro and FCPX on the Rise, Where Did Avid Go Wrong?v
on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:47:42 pm

I wish heavens to Betsie that software makers focus on making improvements under the hood. The latest feature (fad) is of zero use to me when realtime performance is not addressed or there is, at best, some clunk interface to deal with. I tried Boris Red but that interface is killing me. Apple got it rignt with X though keyboard shortcuts to change workspace would be nice. It gets out of my way and lets me work so much better. Then again, to each their own.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 16, 2016 at 10:52:50 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "NO editing above 4K. "

FYI

Custom frame sizes up to 8192×8192 since v8.4.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 17, 2016 at 1:59:46 pm

[Neil Goodman] "Custom frame sizes up to 8192×8192 since v8.4."

Oh wow... already?? ;-D

Thanks for the heads up. My bad then. Don't follow all the intricate details of their incremental updates. Especially since we just killed Avid at two schools and that being one of the top reasons why. Bummers. About 6 months too slow. (actually more like six years, but who's counting :D) Cheers.

- RK

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Apr 17, 2016 at 1:06:25 pm

[Tim Wilson] "So let's ask the question, what did APPLE do wrong that has allowed Adobe Premiere to gain a foothold so quickly?"

Apple made the decision to streamline the editing process for non-fulltime editors.

When you look at Adobe's latest video the talk about how you can mix audio like an experience audio mixer.

Who are they speaking to with that line? Yes, less experienced editors. They are doing the same thing now.

What Apple did "wrong" was they were the first to do it (as Scott pointed out they could afford to do it)

What Adobe did right was copy the tools that X has that people like and keep the old structure.

In fairness Adobe has come up with some really nice tools themselves and they have a very solid product, but they have to now. Gotta justify the extra money they are charging you.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:34:00 am

[Shane Ross] "And that's a thorn in Avid's side, for sure..."

For sure. One wonders what might have been if Avid had had the "testicular fortitude" to drop a badly aging, nearly 20-year-old platform and reinvent their NLE - kinda like Apple did, but without the arrogant and bungled introduction.

I find it frustrating that most of Avid's new features, especially when it comes to modern frame sizes and tapeless workflow, feel bolted on, rather than integrated and well implemented. (Will AMA ever be anything more than a kludge?)

Yes, I know the ISIS (and Unity before it) shared workflow is great. But, honestly, there are so many things about the actual editing process in Avid that feel SO cumbersome after all these years. And even more so the basic media and file management stuff. I always feel this strong sense of "back in my day, we walked 5 miles to school in the rain, and we liked it!" oozing from the keyboard.

On the other hand, v8 has some good, long-needed improvements.

On the other other hand (3 hands - yikes!), so many facilities are working on badly outdated versions, because "why fix it if it ain't broke," it almost doesn't matter .

(slinks back to his FCPX system and crosses himself...)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 17, 2016 at 4:35:47 am

This argument gets framed a lot in terms of FCPX, but that ignores the rather large percentage of Windows editing systems. Clearly that makes Adobe the logical alternative to Avid (or maybe also Vegas, Edius, etc.).

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 17, 2016 at 5:12:00 am

Oliver-

I think, ironically, that many (may be even most) of the Windows based Avid systems came about because of Apple.

Remember the situation years ago when Apple was being destroyed by Scully and Amelio? I remember a lot of people here in Hollywood predicting the imminent demise of Apple. Then Avid seemed to shift focus to the Windows-based version, leaving the Mac version seriously behind in the upgrade and new features cycle. I seem to recall Avid vigorously denying any intent to do so, but the fact was that Mac-based Avids fell behind for several years. So a lot of previously diehard Mac facilities made the switch to PCs at the next upgrade point.

Frankly, there was at least a ten-year period in which PC Avids out-rendered and out-featured their Mac cousins.

So now there are lots facilities with a major investment in PC hardware and avid and interplay, etc. and Avid made some good deals on those HP systems. Sure, the graphics department stuck with Apple, but editorial wasn't about to ditch their still expensive stuff for new Macs and new software.

And given all the hoopla over FCPX's less than stellar introduction, it was easy to justify not even giving it a look by pointing at their entrenched investment in PC systems. At the same time, it was a no-brainer to give cross-platform Adobe a shot.

I think many if these people never really trusted Apple after their near death experience. Even the second coming of Jobs wasn't enough to counter their fear of being left hanging.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 17, 2016 at 7:07:12 am

It was this abandonment of Macs that actually led to Apple buying Final Cut from Macromedia...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dom Silverio
on Apr 17, 2016 at 1:19:39 pm

ACtually, Avid only decided to develop for the PC because Apple reduced the amount of PCI slots on their Macs. It went from 5 or 6 to 3. With a dedicated video I/O, 3D card, audio card and storage controller (SCSI cards) Avid was in a difficult position. A 3rd party solution, Magma PCI expansion, allowed Avid continued support for Macs but with additional cost. Remember there was no firewire, Thunderbolt or any other high speed bus technology that can be utilized as an alternative.

And not knowing what the next iteration of the Mac was going to be, Avid decided to protect their future by developing on the PC. Which in turn Apple decided to purchase Key Grip.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 17, 2016 at 6:54:16 am

I assume this is due in part to the fact that many of the discussions about 'the industry' default to the more visible part of the industry (Hollywood feature films, Network TV shows, etc.,) and that is a very Mac-centric slice of the pie. Even when I was still in the Midwest (granted that was years ago) the post facilities and TV stations I worked at and/or visited were all Mac-centric.

Return to posts index

Alan Kelley
on Oct 10, 2016 at 5:42:36 pm

Missing the point on what makes Avid great. Not that it's glamorous, high-end Hollywood, or that it was and has been the choice of broadcast, cable, even the Olympics. But that it's outdated architecture remains for one simple reason: speed.
Avid was initially designed by editors who knew the all the ins and outs of creating content for deadlines. That's the key. PPro was adapted from Photoshop which is a graphic design program having little to do with the rigors of producing film and TV on time.
I've used PPro. It's not bad, just slow. If you are in a market that doesn't require fast production, like corporate video, PPro is fine. You can even make your deadline with it.
One time I used Premiere for a five camera concert performance. No multi-cam at that point. Just stack up the the cameras on separate tracks and carve out the stuff you don't want. Did a whole one hour show, including cutting the commercials and band interviews in a week and a 1/2. Met the deadline.
The difference is that with Avid, probably I wouldn't have needed to work any 24hour shifts to finish on time. Yes just live in the editing room. Say goodbye to friends and family. Get your meals at 7 Eleven.
And here's why. That ancient architecture is amazing for high-speed editing. How is that?
Simple. Almost every function in Avid can be mapped to single keys. If you watch seasoned Avid movie editors, they are just rapidly typing on the keyboard, like typing a document. You can go as fast as your typing speed allows. Very little reliance on the mouse, which cuts your time down. Multiple key strokes for single functions that are common in PPro will slow you down as well.
As for ScrptSync not being available on MC 8? I just never upgraded to 8 so I could keep using it. For those unfamiliar with it. You just import the text of a script, the program matches the footage with the text and you're ready to go. The director comes in and says, "In scene 82, Joe says "Get going." Show me all the takes of that line." It's easy and super fast. Maybe the director or you don't remember where Joe says that line. Also easy and fast. You just type in the line in PhraseFind and there you have all the clips associated with it, even the off-camera takes.
Here's an excerpt from the Premiere cut I did on the 5 camera shoot:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]