FORUMS: list search recent posts

nab

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
nab
on Apr 14, 2016 at 10:18:01 pm

It's that time of year again and for the first time in many years I will be making the trip. I'll be staying at the Flamingo Monday nite thru Wednesday afternoon. Anyone else going and interested in meeting up?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: nab
on Apr 16, 2016 at 3:00:24 am

I am not going, but if I were, it would be fun to meet.

Or contentious.

But also fun.

I look forward to hearing about your findings.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 16, 2016 at 6:18:28 am

No NAB for me this year unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 21, 2016 at 3:30:47 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I look forward to hearing about your findings."

Just back from a quick jaunt to NAB. I had some people I wanted to meet at both Adobe and AJA and that happened, so a successful trip. Not an earth shattering NAb, more incremental improvements.

Avid had the upper south hall to themselves as far as NLEs go and their booth was packed - can't tell you why because i'm not interested, but if crowd size at NAB is any indication then this is not a dying business.

Black Magic had the lower hall prime position and plenty of action - the Ursa Mini 4K knocks me out for the money, with the caveat that I'm not a shooter. But as a fully robust studio camera for under 5K without glass, someones gonna have to explain to me why it sucks otherwise it will be in consideration for next years shoot. Also amazing how small the Micro Studio camera is - perfect for my ceiling mounted remote cam.

Tons of copter's in the Central Hall buzzing around - obviously a growing field.

Adobe has some nice incremental improvements plus Virtual Reality editing - which I still believe is a "who cares" option. Very crowded booth, pushing a lot of Adobe Anywhere demos and Feature Film workflow demos emphasizing AE dynamic link with Ppro. Best demo was 2 kids from Austalia home brewing some fantasy you tube videos and turning it into a tv show. Very funny stuff, made for no money, 2 kids showing what can be done with a handful of actors, no money, a lot of talent and AE.

If you need a multiCamera live viewing option - The Decimator on the South Upper floor has some excellent options for 9 angles, or less, fully programmable, each input with a looping output, on one screen for less than 1K.

Saw a neat AE 3D tracking plug-in for those too stupid for something like Mocha (meaning me) - it's called FayIn by Faytek. Worth a look for an editor who doesn't have time to learn something too complex.

Didn't try any of the VR glasses, the lines were too long at the Dell site, but they were offering free popcorn, so well worth the visit.

Saw a bunch of High Dynamic Range video, with a Korean company showing it in 8K. They had a shot of a rotating glass sculpture on black that seemed like you could reach out and touch it. Even the HD versions were impressive, but since there are no agreed upon standards for TV manufacturers and no broadcasters ready to, you know, broadcast, this is still just a pipe dream - but a beautiful pipe dream that is more impressive than 8K TV or 3D if you could ever get agreement on standards. In the meantime my wife is happy watching super compressed 8 bit on Netflix as long as she can see another episode of The Gilmore Girls.

Met up with the world renown Bob Zellin at the Maxx Digital booth - he was extolling the virtues of simple video networking using the QNAP Thunderbolt NAS as the center of it's design, and complaining about the many booths talking about Thunderbolt 3 when nobody had it to show.

Spent some time at the ProMaxx booth to review it's "platform" - a complete software/hardware product taking you from ingest to asset management to team editing to archiving with the ability to open in a panel in Ppro (and Avid I think) and be totally controlled from there. It has tools to lock projects to prevent overwriting while editing in teams and it was impressive.

Anyhow after a day my feet hurt too much to make it to the north hall or look any deeper at the camera's in the central hall - huge booths for Canon, Panasonic and Sony, with Red exhibiting next to Black Magic in the lower south hall.

Since apple wasn't exhibiting on the floor I didn't see much of X anywhere, but I'm sure it was being displayed in places where i wasn't looking.

I would estimate that 95% of the attendees were male with the highest number of female attendee's gathered around the various camera booths in both the South and Central halls. Take that for what it's worth.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Apr 21, 2016 at 6:37:09 pm

Nice write-up Herb, thanks for sharing.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:36:03 am

Going for three days. Would love to meet and greet fellow COWS.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 16, 2016 at 11:22:41 pm

I'm here already. Sun, Mon and Tues are packed. Available Wed tho. Post where if anyone wants to gather.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 18, 2016 at 10:55:35 am

[Bill Davis] "Available Wed tho. Post where if anyone wants to gather."

I'm planning on being at the Black Magic booth Wednesday morning at 11am if anyone want to meet up. I'll be the old guy with the white Uconn hat on.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]