FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe sneak peak

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Adobe sneak peak
on Apr 13, 2016 at 3:58:13 pm

Some of these things will look familiar :)

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/Immerse-yourself-in-creativity/

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Adobe sneak peak
on Apr 13, 2016 at 4:09:56 pm

Looks like a solid update for Ppro users.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 13, 2016 at 5:23:11 pm

Some nice additions there! I look forward to seeing more detail However I really hope this has improved performance with 4K XAVC.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Apr 15, 2016 at 3:35:59 am

[Steve Connor] "Some nice additions there! I look forward to seeing more detail However I really hope this has improved performance with 4K XAVC."

It's not just 4K XAVC, it's any 4K H264 I have tested. In my tests Premiere CC's frame rate when fast forwarding in an H264 4K timeline is about 20 times slower than FCPX on the same hardware, a top-spec 2015 iMac 27. Keyboard lag to JKL input is also much slower.

It appears Adobe is working hard on performance improvements. Having built-in proxy support will be a huge plus. They are apparently adding Quick Sync hardware-accelerated H264 encode/decode (Windows only unfortunately). Last year Adobe demonstrated some huge performance improvements with After Effects on OS X by using Apple's Metal API, and they said this would also be used in Illustrator and Photoshop:

They did not mention Lightroom which really needs these improvements; I hope it gets them.

I assume these will be rolled out soon. Premiere already has hardware-accelerated H265 encoding with some GPUs, which FCPX does not have. Ironically on my iMac Premiere handles H265 faster than H264 which is illogical considering how much more compute-intensive H265 is.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 13, 2016 at 5:29:37 pm

Hopefully this means AME will always run in background even if you are actively working in PPro.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 13, 2016 at 8:14:34 pm

Could it be Sppedgrade is no more? An impressive list but what does Apple have in store?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 13, 2016 at 8:30:44 pm

[David Mathis] "Could it be Sppedgrade is no more? An impressive list but what does Apple have in store?"

I bet it will still be there but probably hasn't been touched. Premiere will support control surfaces (Tangent Element, Wave and Ripple were named specifically) and that's huge from grading perspective.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 13, 2016 at 8:59:21 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "[David Mathis] "Could it be Sppedgrade is no more? An impressive list but what does Apple have in store?"

I bet it will still be there but probably hasn't been touched."

I asked Adobe that question and was told SG is still part of the line-up. I don't believe it has changed any, since the development team that does the Lumetri panel work are the SG guys. So they've been busy. I would be surprised if SG is still there in 2017.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 14, 2016 at 12:01:00 pm

When do we get a new title tool?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Apr 14, 2016 at 1:08:51 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "When do we get a new title tool?"

I'll second that motion. :-)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 14, 2016 at 3:36:13 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Some of these things will look familiar"

Yeah. No kiddin'.

- RK

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 14, 2016 at 4:52:00 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "[Oliver Peters] "Some of these things will look familiar"
Yeah. No kiddin'."

Imitation being the highest form of flattery.

And while FCPX might get brownie points for being first -

"the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all."

And Ecclesiastes forgot to mention that if you pissed everybody off during your product rollout it will increase the odds that time and chance will rain'eth on your parade - or something to that effect.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 15, 2016 at 8:55:44 am

[Herb Sevush] "if you pissed everybody off"

Everybody? :D Hardly. Actually, just the self-proclaiming and self-important "pros" that to this day haven't managed to get off the floor from their toddler-style temper tantrums, lamenting over five year old news and just get on with their lives like the rest of us. Not customers I'd be interested in having either, so all's good!

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 16, 2016 at 8:41:36 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "[Herb Sevush] "if you pissed everybody off"

Everybody? :D Hardly."

Somehow I missed the pissed off stage and just got on with learning a new NLE. But I do sometimes enjoy seeing the tantrums...if only to point and laugh.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Apr 14, 2016 at 4:47:45 pm

Sounds cool, but I'm still working in "legacy" Pr CC (7.2.2) on a film. It passed through FCP7 and there were already issues with converting to PR 2013, and more for a conversion to Pr 2014.

Meanwhile I'm paying via subscription model for all these lovely new updates that won't run on my computer because they require different OS, and I don't want to break my working combination of PR CC and OS 10.8.5

Of course I could pay more for an additional computer to run the Adobe updates . . .

One day I'll get to try them out, but I think the subscription model is delivering more value for folks who are using all the updates :-) :-( Enjoy!

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 16, 2016 at 11:07:33 pm

More good news for adobe users.

PPRO CC on Interplay.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 16, 2016 at 11:48:52 pm