FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K client monitor ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Smith
4K client monitor ?
on Apr 12, 2016 at 3:08:06 pm

Need to get a new big screen for client monitor etc and wondering if any of you are using 4K monitors for this? Is the upscaling from 1080 decent? Trying to future proof a bit, however at this point a big majority of my work is 1080.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: 4K client monitor ?
on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:08:26 am

What is the watching distance for the client? No point going to 4k unless the client is close enough and the screen is big enough.

That said a 4k monitors are now relatively cheap and will last a lot longer than an HD. Personally I am happy with my LG 85" 4k (not the OLED). The viewing distance is small enough and the screen big enough to appreciate the extra resolution. Also the LG has a lot of ability to turn all the pesky image processing off and get a relatively unprocessed image. It also has advanced settings where gamma can be manipulated.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 13, 2016 at 2:44:06 pm

[Michael Gissing] "That said a 4k monitors are now relatively cheap and will last a lot longer than an HD. Personally I am happy with my LG 85" 4k (not the OLED). The viewing distance is small enough and the screen big enough to appreciate the extra resolution. Also the LG has a lot of ability to turn all the pesky image processing off and get a relatively unprocessed image. It also has advanced settings where gamma can be manipulated."

Any tips for getting a better image out of the LG? I just picked up the 60" for clients - obviously I already turned off the true motion stuff.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 13, 2016 at 6:22:17 pm

Were using a Sony XBR 55" 4K that upscales 1080 decent.
Using it with the Avid DNxIO as well as BMD VideoHUB.
Not bad for a $1100 CAD display.

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Apr 13, 2016 at 9:34:21 pm

Eric what model of XBR are you using?

Also wondering how the 4K monitors handle interlacing. Need to see bad/incorrect field order.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 15, 2016 at 7:32:06 am

I'm using the XBR 65" 850C and love it. Of course the 850D is now out and less money...

BTW I had one of the high end LG's (not OLED) and returned it for the Sony due to color issues including pixelating skin tones

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Apr 15, 2016 at 3:37:33 pm

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 55 810c. However that one does not have Triluminos. Do you use that feature? Thinking that would not be REC 709?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 15, 2016 at 7:05:59 pm

I would go for the 850C or higher - they have Triluminos, X-1 and support Rec709, Rec.2020 and DCP plus HDR

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 13, 2016 at 11:44:16 pm

[Neil Goodman]"Any tips for getting a better image out of the LG? I just picked up the 60" for clients - obviously I already turned off the true motion stuff."

I set up a user profile which you can apply to all inputs. LG have a setting in advanced for gamma. It also has a black level setting which tries to pull blacks down to true black. On a cut from black to a shot it looks like a fade up which is really annoying but that can be changed in picture options to high instead of low.

Also all the noise reduction & edge enhancement, dynamic contrast etc can all be turned off. Sure it flattens the picture but it ends up being a very honest image.

On weird one was that the screen was slightly cropping. I found if you turn Real Cinema on it allows the aspect to be set to "just scan" which shows correct edges not cropped in for broadcast safe. I can't see it affects any other setting like displaying interlace errors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]