FORUMS: list search recent posts

I can forgive apple if...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Robertson
I can forgive apple if...
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:03:16 am

Having looked at a few early demo videos on you tube and read this forum fairly intensely I think I will be able to forgive apple as long as they quickly add the missing pro features that make the current version useless without.

In any case I may not have have a choice if all the post houses I work at decide to upgrade to it, but on the flip side if they all go back to avid then my life gets much simpler.

Anyway the reason that I am posting and my real gripe is that timeline!!!

Somebody who has used it please please tell me you can disable magnetic editing and adjust the size of the 'tracks' so that they are not 10 foot tall (indeed can we have tracks???) and my big big question... can we disable the filmstrip view of the video tracks??? I can't stand it, not in avid not in FCP7 and not here, it makes the timeline so confusing.

These may not seem like major issues in the grand scheme of things but to me they are essential.

Hope you can help

Return to posts index

Paul Shields
Re: I can forgive apple if...
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:10:00 am

You can adjust the size and look of the tracks, but you can't use them in the traditional sense (ie there aren't any, just media stuck to a central timeline).

You can't disable magnetic editing and I can't see Apple changing any of this functionality.

If you want to be safe, take some time to look at Premiere because all the pros are going over to that and Avid.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:29:14 am

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:34:13 am

Why would you post a screenshot showing that it is possible without accompanying instructions as to how to make that happen?

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:43:39 am

Hey Gary - give me a break. The manual is freely available. And if you need to reference the manual to figure out how to do this ... good luck.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:44:28 am

If you feel that way, then you shouldn't have replied in the first place.

Return to posts index

Francis Robertson
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:35:57 am

Great, thanks, what are those little grey arrows pointing at each other sitting on your cuts?

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 4, 2011 at 1:52:04 pm

[Francis Robertson] "Great, thanks, what are those little grey arrows pointing at each other sitting on your cuts?"

Transitions.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:45:33 am

Francis - the "arrows" are Transitions.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Francis Robertson
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:48:05 am

Great, thanks Paul.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Jul 4, 2011 at 9:38:46 pm

I don't like the fact that the transitions cover the entire line break between clips. In Premiere Pro, they only cover the top third or so, and if for some reason you want to make a transition asymmetrical you can nudge it over a bit and see how much of it is on either clip...

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:44:43 pm

"Somebody who has used it please please tell me you can disable magnetic editing"

Use the position tool, or learn to edit with a magnetic timeline. It can't be switched off. Everything has to be connected to a continuous primary storyline.

"and adjust the size of the 'tracks' so that they are not 10 foot tall"

Switch in the lower right of the timeline window lets you set the clip height.

"can we disable the filmstrip view of the video tracks??"

Same place as clip height you can adjust different ways of displaying in the timeline from only waveforms to clip lozenges.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 4, 2011 at 5:06:12 pm

If you want to remove clips from the Timeline but still maintain the total project duration and timing, you can replace clips with gap clips. This method prevents any ripple edits.

Select the clips or range you want to remove.
Choose Edit > Replace with Gap (or press Shift-Delete).
Final Cut Pro replaces the selection in the Timeline with a gap clip.

That effectively disables magnetic timeline. Also, have seen demos where the magnetic timeline function can be turned off. It can easily be turned off by pressing the "P" button.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:16:43 am

[C. Park Seward] "Select the clips or range you want to remove.
Choose Edit > Replace with Gap (or press Shift-Delete).
Final Cut Pro replaces the selection in the Timeline with a gap clip."

This sounds like it will be a little frustrating, especially if you are jumping between FCPX and FCP7, since that is the same shortcut as "Ripple Delete" that you are using to not ripple it.

What's next? Wearing hats on our feet, and hamburgers eating people??!?!!?

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 4, 2011 at 5:15:38 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Use the position tool, or learn to edit with a magnetic timeline. It can't be switched off. Everything has to be connected to a continuous primary storyline."

That's a buzzkill

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 5, 2011 at 12:10:45 am

Please see Izzyvideo at 9:50.

http://www.izzyvideo.com/final-cut-pro-x-tutorial/8-tools-in-final-cut-pro-...

This shows how to turn off the magnetic timeline and position a clip exactly where you want it.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:41:44 pm

I can forgive Apple if they simply reinstate FCP 7 support on the Apple web site.

Leaving 2 million or so paying customers stranded is no way to win converts to a radically new and incomplete version of FCP 7's replacement software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]