FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some people are quite pleased...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernard Newnham
Some people are quite pleased...
on Jul 4, 2011 at 10:02:02 am

...and who aren't Avid or Adobe.

At the university department where I work sometimes, they have always wanted to afford FCP and the Macs to go with it, but have never have enough cash. The uni runs over ninety applications on hundreds of PCs for its various courses and has large numbers of Premiere Pro licences. They always felt like they were second rank though, and apologized for not being able to afford the best in editing software. Now they can hold their heads up high, and they don't have to think of buying the MacPros. They are pleased.

I think for Apple now it's a question of cred factor. Their public reputation now is based on iGadgets, and having betrayed one part of the professional market they have to hope two things 1) they can keep coming up with new iGadgets 2) The trickle-down hate from the pros doesn't reach the consumer market or the other pros. Is "the graphics guys will only use Macs" at an end because "you can't trust Apple any more"? And if the graphics guys say things like "an iPad is useless for real work" will the whole Apple rep suddenly turn into a re-run of the King's New Clothes - http://www.angelfire.com/film/dannykaye/KingsClothes.htm

B

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Some people are quite pleased...
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:13:24 pm

Well there's always the "people you meet on the way up" thing. Apple are at their zenith, Steve jobs is going to go pretty soon, and he is that company, he examines every product down to the screws. Asking to find a replacement is like asking to find a replacement for an asbergers John lennon type. There's only one Steve Jobs. He completely rebuilt that company in his own image using his own next software. Given the kind of monomaniacal places he has taken the company both times, I think it's inevitable they will decline after him. It'll be like a really bad increasing hangover.
And when things do go awry, which they will at some point, there will be no pro backbone, there will be no pro software base, there will be no pro machines. I think the OS is already starting to look.. Somewhat stupid. Mission control is a ludicrous mess. Software like iPhoto is unusable in single window mode (according to a revealing review). He's going to go, and then they're going to stumble around in a half touch desktop, and at some point they're going to make a critical error - they're going to try to move the consumer market in some bold way like they think steve jobs would, like they tried to move us - with a gun of sorts to their head.
Some time in the next ten years apple are going to mess up really badly and when they do, I am going to crack a beer and laugh like a drain. I am on notice waiting for that narcissistic, self aggrandizing, self obsessed company to fail. Oh man - narcissistic, calling apple narcissistic feels great. IMHO They shouldn't be in charge of any significant market share, pro editing or anything else. The only thing that used to keep apple sane is that they were tiny. And hey, you know what they say - all significant scale corporations, incorporated as citizens as they are, when examined psychologically - are sociopathic.
That's completely lacking empathy for the plight of others to you and me.
Ring any bells?
So our beloved -here's to the crazy ones- woz company of yore, has turned into a sociopathic narcissist.
Good times.

Don't jump on me - I didn't jump on FCPX - I just hit apple in the face with a fish a few times. Try it - it's really therapeutic. Maaaaybe not the Nazi thing tho.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jul 4, 2011 at 7:17:36 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "they're going to try to move the consumer market in some bold way like they think steve jobs would, like they tried to move us - with a gun of sorts to their head.
Some time in the next ten years apple are going to mess up really badly"

I think this is already happening. I wonder if what we've witnessed with the FCPX release is what happens if Steve Jobs is out of the loop and the marketing people are making the decisions.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:56:04 am

Yeah true. Although I mostly wrote that post so I could say "apple" "narcissist" and "sociopath" at the same time.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:22:29 pm

[Bernard Newnham] " they have always wanted to afford FCP"

Studio wasn't that much more for educational departments...so this confuses me....

[Bernard Newnham] "They are pleased."

Wait til they use it :/

[Bernard Newnham] "The uni runs over ninety applications on hundreds of PCs for its various courses and has large numbers of Premiere Pro licences. They always felt like they were second rank though,"

PPro CS5 stands right next to Final Cut Pro 7 in almost every way and better...So i'm totally confused...were they running CS3 or 1.5? If so, again, upgrading would have been just as cheap and you'd be getting a program that is light years ahead of FCX...so why apologize...?

Good god...imagine....they could have upgraded to Pro-grade software like CS5.5 for the same price but got X and tried to pawn that off to students that it was a "pro" app...a lot of fresh young minds would warp...exactly what Apple wants I guess...

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:09:41 am

[Jamie Franklin] "Studio wasn't that much more for educational departments...so this confuses me...."

I think what he's saying is that they couldn't afford Macs, so they had PP on Windows computers which they felt was inadequate because everyone used FCP.

Now they're happy cause FCP is going down the drain and they already have PP.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:22:32 am

[John-Michael Seng-Wheeler] "I think what he's saying is that they couldn't afford Macs, so they had PP on Windows computers which they felt was inadequate because everyone used FCP."

No, I got that...but it's still a confusing argument...it's not like mac's are suddenly 300$ too....so if he could have got studio before for roughly the same amount...ahh forget it, it makes the mind go numb

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:06:37 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "No, I got that...but it's still a confusing argument...it's not like mac's are suddenly 300$ too...."

But now they have no reason to get macs, so they're happy.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:10:55 pm

[John-Michael Seng-Wheeler] "But now they have no reason to get macs, so they're happy."

I get what he is saying...it's over, my head popped...I'm glad he can find happiness in the fact we all have to go switch....but some don't have to. its glorious....

:/

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 4, 2011 at 10:09:03 pm

I think a lot of us here are using Macs right now because of FCP. That was why I bought my first G5. I think this is a huge gamble for them but I personally am not that pissed at Apple really as much as I am bewildered.

The great news is PPro makes the whole transition almost painless. Same hardware and my expensive plugins work. I was really thinking of moving to something else before this whole thing happened anyway. Premiere still feels a little clunky but it has many of the things I wanted from FCP a long time ago: A good DVE, AE like keyframe editor, good EDL export, very good with different rez footage etc. FCP had a lot of things that really sucked and that they just never would fix. Good riddance!

And what Apple did with FCPX doesn't interest me at all. But it took a lot of work from all of us to convince our clients that FCP was the way to go, now we have to start all over again with PPRo or Avid. That to me is the worst thing.

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:23:06 pm

[Robert Brown] "I think a lot of us here are using Macs right now because of FCP.

I'm one of them. My Mac is used specifically for video editing. I still use Windows for everything else.

[Robert Brown] The great news is PPro makes the whole transition almost painless.

I've also never really understood why more people don't look at Sony Vegas. I've always liked its paradigm, and some of the "new" features in FCP X have been in Vegas for ages. Vegas's velocity envelope is a tool I've always found simple and accessible.

[Robert Brown] FCP had a lot of things that really sucked and that they just never would fix. Good riddance!

I agree. I know people who can edit blindingly fast on FCP but my interest in FCP and hence my Mac purchase, was largely motivated by its "pro" ubiquity, not its improved interface over other software editing programs. I've edited on Edius, Premiere Pro, Vegas, and even Media Studio Pro. All had things that seemed more "intuitive" than FCP.

My current biggest problem with FCP X, unless someone knows a workaround, is not being able to assign specific categories of audio to specific tracks for export. Even for stand-alone editing, this has drawbacks in my usage and will limit how much I jump into it.

Apple has never been misty-eyed about maintaining support for old products. And never been afraid to take a leap. Love it or hate it, that's always been their way.

But that blog someone linked [http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/?p=322 ] on their history of killing off good products does make chilling reading

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jul 4, 2011 at 11:34:07 pm

I think name recognition and industry trends are very important. I've thought about checking out Vegas at times, but I've never seen an add looking for a Vegas editor. If it's your own shop it doesn't matter much but if you are in a segment of the industry you have to be compatible.

But to me once again I am actually happy that this is happening since there were so many important issues with fcp that Apple refused to address. PPro and Avid are both improvements for what I was looking for. It's a matter of which is more marketable. I'll probably learn both since PPro is so easy.

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:57:08 am

I thought what I said at the top was pretty clear. The uni has lots of PCs. If you want to run FCP you have to have Macs. They can't afford that. PPro doesn't have the image and class of (old) FCP. They would have liked to have used FCP, but it was too expensive. Now all that's irrelevant. They were pleased.

Hope that clear that up.

Personally, although I know that PPro in its latest form has more functionality than FCP7, the screen is irritatingly cluttered with stuff you don't need. More difficult to train on.

B

bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]