FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD card/FCPX import issue/Cross-post

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
SD card/FCPX import issue/Cross-post
on Apr 6, 2016 at 3:48:01 pm

Hey all -

I had a team of students come to me with a problem they were having with AVCHD footage shot on a Sony HXR-70U. Upon importing (directly from the card, so no changes were made to the file/folder structure) into X, it seems they had everything checked properly: copy to library (partition on a Terrablock) being the most important one. However, once the footage was imported, each clip had that camera icon on it. The only way to get around this was to highlight every clip and re-import it using the import from camera/archive commands. Then everything worked fine. Any ideas on what could have happened or what they might have done? I created a new library and had the same results from that card. Thanks in advance.

Scott Witthaus

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SD card/FCPX import issue/Cross-post
on Apr 6, 2016 at 4:44:48 pm

I've had odd issues imported XAVC-L from Sony X70 media straight from a card reader. Not so after creating the Camera Archive and importing from that, which is my normal workflow. It seems that FCPX some times has issues reading the metadata from cards on the first attempt.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 7, 2016 at 3:27:21 am

I think in X whats critical is that the importing Mac can see the VOLUME structure as well as know how to parse the files themselves. Most cameras store their contents in computer mountable volumes, but other cameras do not. For instance, early Canon MXF files had to be put through a parser that could "see" the files - then either Apple or Canon or both changed X and built the parser directly into the program so that you can import directly from the cards Private folder even tho that Private folder is not technically a mounted volume on the desktop that X can see.

When you make a Camera Archive, I presume THAT becomes the mounted volume that contains the files. And that X is happy with that.

Guesses on my part. It's been a long time since I shot in a format that X couldn't work with directly.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:11:17 am

Sounds to me like somehow FCP/the machine lost the connection with the card right after hitting import? Haven't seen this happen, personally. By I, too, make archives and import from them as well, so maybe that's what has protected me. :)

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]