FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video media and OS on same SSD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Video media and OS on same SSD?
on Mar 31, 2016 at 3:11:05 am

(I've been away from editing and the Cow for almost a year, but getting back into it.)

I believe I read some time ago that with SSDs you can run the OS/FCPX and keep your media on the same drive. I just did an exhaustive search here and evidently didn't get the right keywords because I couldn't locate a post or a thread on this.

Is there a post or thread you refer me to or supply a quick answer?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Video media and OS on same SSD?
on Mar 31, 2016 at 3:33:52 am

its really a choice.

It works but you will run out of space fast.

I never use Copy to Library option.

I live in a RED Eco so all my files are on RAIDs.

As far as performance its hard to say with my nMP.

The internal drive is wicked fast.

But I dont ever use it for media with FCPX.

After Effects and Photoshop yes.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 31, 2016 at 5:42:43 am

I have a 1TB SSD in my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro. As mentioned, for more than modest sized projects the drive space can get eaten up fast, BUT If it's just a modest project - I do work on my system drive with managed media all the time and there's absolutely no performance lag at all.

It just works.

Superfast, at that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 31, 2016 at 9:45:49 am

[Bill Davis] "I have a 1TB SSD in my 2015 Retina MacBook Pro. As mentioned, for more than modest sized projects the drive space can get eaten up fast, BUT If it's just a modest project - I do work on my system drive with managed media all the time and there's absolutely no performance lag at all.

It just works.

Superfast, at that.
"

I agree with Bill it's very fast for smaller projects

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 31, 2016 at 1:49:43 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Mar 31, 2016 at 1:52:10 pm

[Steve Connor] "I agree with Bill it's very fast for smaller projects"

Otherwise, if you want something that is similar in speed, you can check out the Lacie Little Big Disk. It's pricey, but small and will get you similar throughput. To get close to the speed of the internal SSD with spinning drives, you need at least a 6 bay RAID if you want RAID 5. With RAID 0 you could get away with 4.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 31, 2016 at 7:06:53 pm

A recent article I came across was about testing SSD life versus spinning platter dive life. The key take-away was that SSD's have a finite shelf life regardless of how often they are cycled. To be clearer: SSD's will die of old age at a certain point, whether you work them hard and often, or not. Apparently it's a question of the individual domains just failing randomly until there's not enough spare memory to patch it. Scary thought, if your thinking was that solid state media based on a chip was going to be your permanent backup archive.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 31, 2016 at 7:10:46 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Scary thought, if your thinking was that solid state media based on a chip was going to be your permanent backup archive."

I hope no one was thinking that at all. 2 is 1 and 1 is none. Even applies to LTO.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 31, 2016 at 10:38:06 pm

Gary, Mark,

Correct. I was not thinking that.

I, like Gary a year or so ago have a very upgradeable i7 17" MBP, actually 2 of them now. My main machine already has two drives in it, but both are spinning HDs. I hope to replace one of them with a Samsung 1TB 850 Evo 2.5 in the next few months and then when I have more dough, I will swap out the other drive with the same SSD. The 2nd drive in there now (non-OS) is my media drive. When I'm out and need to edit something, I don't have to take an external drive with me anymore. I don't edit for a living so my needs are very conservative for space and speed. When I get home, I always back up the media drive and also the main OS drive. The "Media Drive backup" also gets backed up to another backup drive, so I end up with 3 drives with the media on it.

I will likely use the first SSD to replace the OS/Applications drive and then swap out the Media drive down the road. In the meantime, if it makes enough difference, I could move the media for the current project on to the main OS drive and edit there. Unless someone knows for sure yea or nea, I guess I'll just have to try both ways when I get the new SSD.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 31, 2016 at 10:49:05 pm

Eric, Bill, and Steve,

Thanks so much for your comments. It is what I thought I remembered reading a year or so ago. And yes, all I do is smaller projects for my web businesses. Media is either screen captures or 1080 30p, but the project is always 720p.

In my post below, my new question is whether or not to move the media when editing to the OS drive or leave it on the Hybrid 750 GB drive. Down the road, I'll also replace the Hybrid drive with another Samsung 1 TB SSD.

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 1, 2016 at 1:41:47 pm

FCPX does a great job at finding moved data.
Of course the data has to be mounted.
You get so used to it that when you open a Premiere/Avid file and data has been moved I always ponder why the heck is it looking so hard and why is it asking me to relink due to a different path (Premiere) or wait for media database to refresh.
As long as you keep the folder structure in tact you should be fine.
I am sure FCPX will find it even it is moved.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:47:21 pm

Eric,

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm on an ancient version of FCPX (and OS and machine), but it's fine for my needs at the moment. I've always been good with organizing data and backup, so I have never run into problems (knock on head, I mean wood). It will interesting to compare the speed difference between media on OS SSD vs. on separate spinning HD.

Dave

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 11, 2016 at 1:39:43 pm

[Dave Gage] "It will interesting to compare the speed difference between media on OS SSD vs. on separate spinning HD."

Hey Dave, you won't see the kind of speeds I am seeing with my 2013 MacBook Pro 15", but switching from the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt drive to the internal SSD saw a drop in render time from 40-ish minutes per clip (Sony F55 4K raw to ProRes HQ in DaVinci Resolve 12) to less than 10. Yes, just from switching the destination drive to the internal SSD.

Now, with SATA connections (instead of using a PCIe lane like the new MacBooks do), you're going to see about half that speed, but it's still respectable.

Unfortunately, I am still waiting for sizes to increase and be cheap enough to consider. My current "work drive" is a Backup Plus Fast 4TB from Seagate because it is RAID 0 (which means I backup often) and gives me a bit less than a 1/4 of the speed of my internal SSD, but much better than a single drive. I do miss the 17" with the internal drive as I am now tethered all the time, but I do like the breathing room that 4TB gives me. My last project was 1.1TB of material which clearly would not have worked with an internal SSD!

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Apr 17, 2016 at 3:24:01 am

Gary,

[Gary Huff] "Hey Dave, you won't see the kind of speeds I am seeing with my 2013 MacBook Pro 15", but switching from the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt drive to the internal SSD saw a drop in render time from 40-ish minutes per clip (Sony F55 4K raw to ProRes HQ in DaVinci Resolve 12) to less than 10. Yes, just from switching the destination drive to the internal SSD."

That's very cool! I take it that your "2013 MacBook Pro 15" only has one drive in it so your OS and media are on the same SSD.

[Gary Huff] "you're going to see about half that speed, but it's still respectable."
Yeah I'll take it. As I said, I'm still just working with 1080p clips in a 720p timeline, so it should be great for my needs.

My next purchase after replacing the internal drives with SSDs with be to pick up a Thunderbolt drive dock to speed up the backups, but one thing at a time.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]