FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame.io meets Adobe Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Soyka
Frame.io meets Adobe Premiere Pro
on Mar 23, 2016 at 3:45:13 pm

Following up on a recent discussion that touched on fixed versus flexible UIs [link]:

Frame.io will soon support real-time collaboration, with the entire Frame.io app running directly inside of Premiere Pro. Check out the trailer:

https://frame.io/premiere

This would not be possible without Adobe's flexible UI and extensible panel architecture. I think it's also a great example of the value of products plus services, and maybe a viable solution to a problem that cannot be solved from disconnected desktop computers alone.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Frame.io meets Adobe Premiere Pro
on Mar 23, 2016 at 4:59:00 pm

This looks very interesting

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 23, 2016 at 11:50:58 pm

[Walter Soyka] "maybe a viable solution to a problem that cannot be solved from disconnected desktop computers alone."

Absolutely. Not only does it look interesting, it's a great example of a solution that is truly cloud-based, and in fact wouldn't make much sense without the cloud.

If Adobe offered this kind of cloud functionality with CC (as opposed to using internet connectivity as a toll gate for regular desktop software), CC would be much more true to its marketing language.

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 24, 2016 at 1:06:53 am

Color me a "modest user". What is the big thing here? I saw a slick pseudo-demo but WTF does it really do? Coming soon. What?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Mar 24, 2016 at 2:06:43 am

this could be great for sports if it works live

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 24, 2016 at 4:15:23 pm

[David Lawrence] "If Adobe offered this kind of cloud functionality with CC (as opposed to using internet connectivity as a toll gate for regular desktop software), CC would be much more true to its marketing language."

I'd love to see more services from Adobe, too. I think there is so much upside here for us as users.

In fairness, Adobe is offering cloud functionality, albeit not really for us yet. They started with the graphic design discipline:
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/how-to/creative-cloud-libraries.html

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 25, 2016 at 11:21:08 am

[Walter Soyka] "I'd love to see more services from Adobe, too. I think there is so much upside here for us as users."

I'd love to hear some ideas that you would have Walter. There are a lot of different areas we can pursue. What is the low hanging fruit?

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 24, 2016 at 2:46:38 pm

[Walter Soyka] " Check out the trailer:"

I did and I don't understand anything more than I did before I checked out the trailer. While it may change everything at the moment it told me nothing. Can you point me to some words that might explain this concept to the icon impaired?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 24, 2016 at 4:11:55 pm

The trailer is really more of a tease.

Highlight features:
* A shared cloud bin that multiple editors can work from
* One click import and export of sequences, project files, and entire bins.
* Real-time comments directly in your Premiere timeline with no marker syncing
* Auto versioning for rapid iteration on creative ideas
* Comment marker syncing for when you do not have an internet connection
* Sync’d playback in Frame.io and your Premiere timeline

(From http://nofilmschool.com/2016/03/frameio-adobe-premiere-pro-integration-coll...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 24, 2016 at 4:43:48 pm

FCPX

https://frame.io/fcpx

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 24, 2016 at 8:43:23 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "FCPX "

The FCPX version is more of an exporter. It doesn't have the interactive features.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 24, 2016 at 9:16:01 pm

[Walter Soyka] "
The FCPX version is more of an exporter. It doesn't have the interactive features."

it does show you the gist of what Frame.io does though. After watching the PPro 'tease' I was like Herb and a bit lost. Once I looked over the rest of the site, including the FCPX video, I was like "Ah, it's going to do those types of functions but *inside* of PPro".

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 25, 2016 at 11:28:17 am

[Walter Soyka] "The FCPX version is more of an exporter. It doesn't have the interactive "

Personally, I would rather having all this stuff running outside of my edit software.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 25, 2016 at 11:34:12 am

[Scott Witthaus] "Personally, I would rather having all this stuff running outside of my edit software.
"

Then you're lucky thats the only option with FCPX then :)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 25, 2016 at 11:41:19 am

[Steve Connor] "Then you're lucky thats the only option with FCPX then :)"

Exactly my point. Maybe I have been in this business too long, but having that software running inside my edit software seems like a SNAFU in the making.

You Premiere folks have fun! ;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 25, 2016 at 1:11:52 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "having that software running inside my edit software seems like a SNAFU in the making. You Premiere folks have fun! ;-)"

For someone committed to using an NLE that is predicated on outsourcing as many features as possible to third party plug-ins, that seems like a strange sentiment.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 25, 2016 at 1:19:59 pm

[Herb Sevush] "For someone committed to using an NLE that is predicated on outsourcing as many features as possible to third party plug-ins, that seems like a strange sentiment."

I have as few of them as possible and use them only as needed. Even then, I am not sharing timelines, media and accepting comments inside my NLE. You have to admit that Fram.io is a bit more than your ordinary plugin.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2016 at 2:57:36 pm

[Herb Sevush] "For someone committed to using an NLE that is predicated on outsourcing as many features as possible to third party plug-ins, that seems like a strange sentiment."

This is a joke, right?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 25, 2016 at 3:04:23 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "This is a joke, right?"

I didn't mean it as a joke. The design of FCPX is such that many key elements are pay as you need third party plug-ins - I'm not saying that this is bad in any way, it seems to work fine and the whole editing ecosystem around X seems very healthy and is one of it's positive virtues, at least in my eyes. I'm just surprised that an X editor is now claiming that a third party plug-in is such a dangerous concept. Where's the joke?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2016 at 3:33:59 pm

[Herb Sevush] "The design of FCPX is such that many key elements are pay as you need third party plug-ins - I'm not saying that this is bad in any way, it seems to work fine and the whole editing ecosystem around X seems very healthy and is one of it's positive virtues, at least in my eyes."

Thank you for clarifying.

[Herb Sevush] " I'm just surprised that an X editor is now claiming that a third party plug-in is such a dangerous concept. "

For me, I don't think it's the third party support, it's just that it's a very vague video that shows how you can scrub someone else's timeline, and peep in to their project via another 'pane', and all of this runs via the cloud?

It seems like it may be cool, but it may not be either. Frame.io, just on it's own, is very cool. Adding virtual NLEs to it remains to be seen. One of my major gripes with Premiere is it's project organization. Files seem to double and triple in the browser for no reason, especially when you start adding versions of timelines via XML. I am sure I'm holding it wrong, but interchange between multiple editors or systems seems to be a few steps behind even FCPX. Perhaps Frame.io will help this, but perhaps it will only add to the confusion.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 25, 2016 at 3:54:45 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " One of my major gripes with Premiere is it's project organization. Files seem to double and triple in the browser for no reason, especially when you start adding versions of timelines via XML."

Too true.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2016 at 4:29:37 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " Files seem to double and triple in the browser for no reason, especially when you start adding versions of timelines via XML. "

If you are sharing between PPro users have you tried using the Export->Selection as Premiere Project option, as opposed to XML, and then using the Media Browser to import what you need into your project? I've never used it but it seems like it could work better than XML.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2016 at 5:02:23 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "If you are sharing between PPro users have you tried using the Export->Selection as Premiere Project option, as opposed to XML, and then using the Media Browser to import what you need into your project?"

Rarely, do I need to share edits between multiple Pr users, at least in my case. It's usually going to/from some other application like FCPX/Baselight/Ae/Compositing via some form of interchange.

Relinking in Pr is also not great, when you need to relink to a subset of media from the original.

I would be very happy if a third party allowed me to do conforms in FCPX and not try and use Pr as the third party tool (or if Apple wrote in better conform capability).

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2016 at 5:23:27 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Rarely, do I need to share edits between multiple Pr users, at least in my case. It's usually going to/from some other application like FCPX/Baselight/Ae/Compositing via some form of interchange.
"

Ah, I see. I think PPro relies a lot on XMP metadata and other metadata that the Media Browser reads on import to keep things straight so if you use an XML or the normal Import command it is more likely to not recognize that the right media already exists in the project.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 25, 2016 at 6:15:13 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "PPro relies a lot on XMP metadata"

The trick for non-duplication is to allow Premiere to enable "Write XMP ID to files on import," then import everything into one Premiere project first before you begin. This will inject an unique ID into each file, and then Pr will recognize the same clip coming from different sequences in different projects.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2016 at 6:16:13 pm

[Walter Soyka] "The trick for non-duplication is to allow Premiere to enable "Write XMP ID to files on import," then import everything into one Premiere project first before you begin"

Famous last words.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 25, 2016 at 6:20:16 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Famous last words."

I've ordered them inscribed on my tombstone.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 11, 2016 at 7:57:21 pm

The problem with this approach is that the files are unreadable by some applications.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2016 at 6:18:21 pm

Have you tried opening up the XML in a new, Temp PPro project, closing that project, opening up your PPro Project and using the Media Browser to import what you need from the Temp project. I think that should do fix the duplicate media issue.

It's a kludgy workaround but it might be less annoying then having duplicate media in your project.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 25, 2016 at 6:22:48 pm

I haven't.

What I do now is just duplicate the project.

- So I have an original project.

- A consolidated project.

- And then a consolidated project_relinked

I am looking to remove Pr form this workflow, but I haven't found the best way so far. Resolve is kind of an option, but it used to wreak havoc on audio. It's getting better, though.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2016 at 6:32:53 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I am looking to remove Pr form this workflow, but I haven't found the best way so far."

Yeah, it kinda sounds like you are being forced to use a sledge hammer to swat a fly because you don't have any other options.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 24, 2016 at 6:29:46 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Can you point me to some words that might explain this concept to the icon impaired?"

I scrub. You scrub. We all scrub.

Frame.io: We All Scrub.™

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 25, 2016 at 4:05:40 pm

It's very cool. Essentially it's the exact same functionality as the Standalone X App, but integrated into the UI. The panel can control the Pr UI to see extent, but other than that it's a one mostly way street. PR->the panel. You can drag from the panel to a bin (Import media), but not into the Timeline. I don't think the frame.io folks are "done" with integration to either NLE. :-) Pr panels are HTML/CSS, you could probably do something very similar in X using FxPlug, though Apple doesn't want you to mess with the UI. Alex 4D summed it up when he said:

Apple sticking point: "We don't trust third parties with our UI"
Adobe sticking point: "Who needs a public interchange format when everything can be done within our suite"

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2016 at 4:29:59 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Adobe sticking point: "Who needs a public interchange format when everything can be done within our suite""

Aren't AAF, FCP XML, OMF, EDL, etc., public interchange formats?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 25, 2016 at 5:17:56 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Aren't AAF, FCP XML, OMF, EDL, etc., public interchange formats?"

Yeah, rereading his quote I think he was referring to FxPlug vs Panels, but the analogy doesn't really make much sense.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 25, 2016 at 5:25:30 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Yeah, rereading his quote I think he was referring to FxPlug vs Panels,"

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 26, 2016 at 12:25:20 am

Adobe offers extensions to the UI, which enable third parties to add capability within the app itself. Simple extensions for Premiere include PDF Viewer and Post Notes as a starter.

http://www.primalcuts.com/site/
http://postnotes.io

We After Effects you have a bunch and these tend to work like very sophisticated macros. For example, Type Monkey and Layer Monkey.

http://www.typemonkey.net

Extensions is a great way to extend the power of the UI, which is something FCPX could use as well.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 11, 2016 at 4:45:09 pm

Frame.io panel from Adobe just dropped.

https://frame.io/premiere

Below is a write up about it (as well as a new video which explains it in more depth than just the teaser from before).

http://www.provideocoalition.com/frameio_premiere_pro

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 14, 2016 at 12:36:47 am

Wipster is also getting into the act:

http://wipster.io/blog/wipster-adobe-premiere-pro-a-revolution-in-collabora...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 14, 2016 at 1:19:59 am

I don't know if it's new or not but Kollaborate has a panel too.

https://www.kollaborate.tv/resources

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 19, 2016 at 4:43:52 pm

And Promax released a panel at NAB.

http://promax.com/workflows/online-editing/

2016 is turning into the year of the panel for PPro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]