FORUMS: list search recent posts

useful post on switching

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
useful post on switching
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:31:32 pm

Well, we're all going somewhere - useful post on resources and training - there is quite a bit of free stuff for Premiere and Avid.

http://www.selfreliantfilm.com/2011/07/adobe-avid-and-fcp-x-resources-for-s...

there's actually three hours of free lynda for MC 5.5.
although I'm going mainly for premiere myself.

verily - let us get our geek on.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
Re: useful post on switching
on Jul 4, 2011 at 1:06:06 am

Awesome! I've been tinkering more with Premiere, and plan to do the same with an Avid MC trial. Either to make the decision to switch outright, or to use alongside FCP as a CYA measure. I've been wondering for a while if there were any online resources that were as succinct and comprehensive as this.

The stuff in the manual is pretty easy to pick up playing around on your own, but there are a lot of little "I could do this in FCP, how the heck do I do it here?" things the manual just doesn't go into. Hopefully this will point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:09:39 am

Here is the goto site for tutorials and help for AVID... much like Adobe and FCP sites... there are some exceptional forum moderators that can answer just about any question you can think of and solve just about any problem. There is also a long list of free tutorials -some for beginners and some for advanced.

http://community.avid.com/

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:13:17 am

Premiere CS5 on matrox mxo2 mini-
Works, after you get with shoot, delete prefs, reinstall drivers, futz with settings, etc. Once in awhile it just stops working. Reaction is kinda delayed like FCP. A sensation it might crash if I push buttons too fast. Lots of dropped frames. Not as much RT as FCP. Has a keyboard layout for FCP users.

MC 5.5 is like any Avid I've worked on. Feels solid and robust. Just worked. No futzing with settings. It picked my raid as the media drive by default. No dropped frames. Extremely advanced settings and customization. Tougher learning curve if you've always been a FCP editor.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:16:43 pm

Aindreas,

I don't think I have read in any of your posts what capture card (if any) you might have.

I have been testing out Premiere Pro, as well...and though I like much of it , there is a major bug that affects Blackmagic Decklink users. There is no audio in frame-by-frame scrubbing. As you might imagine, this makes editing based on dialog a real PIA the timeline. This is apparently a Blackmagic problem, and I have been in touch with their support team...they assure me that it's being worked on. If you have a Blackmagic card, you may want to wait before diving in, though.

I don't believe this affects AJA or Matrox users, but I have no first hand knowledge. This bug only affects PPro, not FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:34:48 pm

Nothing John - de nada. I haven't even bought or installed shagging premiere yet. Although I have been looking at whacks of tutorials and articles. And, full disclosure, I haven't actually ingested footage over SDI in like, a year and a half. Mostly I just get handed video assets these days, or bits of campaigns for sizzle reels. 9/10 times I'm in someones facility to edit. I just want premiere's timeline.
That said.. I did spec all the black magic cards for Aljazeera English for creative at launch. Like 20 odd seats. And I got it totally wrong - they had an incredible tendency to overheat and shut down in the 1U enclosures. All the engineers hated me. I said hello, they said 'Kona'. So like, I know my video cards alright. Reeeaal good.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 4, 2011 at 5:04:06 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "That said.. I did spec all the black magic cards for Aljazeera English for creative at launch. Like 20 odd seats. And I got it totally wrong - they had an incredible tendency to overheat and shut down in the 1U enclosures. All the engineers hated me. I said hello, they said 'Kona'. So like, I know my video cards alright. Reeeaal good.
"

Cool. Good choice. I really liked my Kona on my old G5. I went to Blackmagic when I had to upgrade to a Mac Pro and didn't have the budget to stay with AJA. Its pretty much an editorial show stopper for me switching to Adobe until Blackmagic fixes the issue. I am a long time Avid user, totally fluent and comfortable with it, and I would be inclined to go in that direction, but unless they open up their capture cards a bit more, Adobe has more value. I can get the whole Adobe suite for the same price as Avid MC right now (even with the current switcher promotions). I really don't like Boris or Sorensen Squeeze much, which come with Avid.

That being said...for those that need it, Blackmagic's new capture tool is wonderful for FCPX. Media Express 3 is actually a good deal better than FCP 7 for tape capture and layback. It even has some metadata and xml support. You can capture with it, then import into X nicely. Export a QT from X and lay to tape. AJA needs to upgrade their tool, if they want to continue supporting FCPX. It works, but its pretty bare bones in comparison.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 4, 2011 at 5:51:05 pm

Well, that lot sounds like really useful info for general consumption.

I don't.. think every FCP7 suite in London is going to explode tomorrow, but I just kind of presume clients are going to start putting Premiere in the brief spec inside six months..

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:28:01 am

"Cool. Good choice."

Sorry just read that properly - it... Really wasn't a good choice, I made like, a truly horrible decision, I'm sure the blackmagics are fine now but the, I think it was like decklink extreme? In 2006 they were really bad at coping with overheating in 1U enclosures with matrix panels and the like bumped up against them, they would randomly shut down. I think I picked them because I thought the black magic codec was better or something. I totally suck with third party hardware basically.

As for FCPX - I would say that less than one in a hundred people who ultimately buy that software will be concerned with SDI video capture. Blackmagic will certainly play along for a bit, but I'd say the third party hardware ecosystem for FCPX is going to wither pretty dramatically relative to FCS.

Return to posts index

Paul Harrill
on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:48:29 pm

Coming a little late to this, but I authored the post that Aindreas posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm glad it was useful for you!

Like many others, I'm going to be doing test runs of Adobe, Avid, etc. in the coming days. I'll try to post my thoughts on the SRF blog, in case you're interested.

Paul Harrill
http://www.selfreliantfilm.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]