FORUMS: list search recent posts

ACE Tech Day Recap...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
ACE Tech Day Recap...
on Mar 13, 2016 at 8:37:46 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 13, 2016 at 8:45:13 pm

This will probably not be as exhaustive as Tim would like. ;-) Anyhoo... It went quite well. Nice to have an audience that wasn't all "choir members", for lack of a better term.

Started with a little overview from Apple, similar to the usual thing they do, philosophy in re-writing from scratch, amount of updates etc. What was different is they're now going out of their way to stress that X is important to Apple, there's a lot more to come, and it's not going anywhere. This one the one comment that elicited a shout of "like FCP 7?!?! People built entire businesses on it!!!" Apple responded very politely. I refrained from blurting out my own response. ;-) (it still works.) They also briefly noted that WTF was cut on the shipping version of X, and used all off the shelf plugins etc. No secret "WTF Build", no engineers rewriting code during the show to make it work. ;-)

Next up was the WTF editorial team. as you'd expect, this was way more 'editing focused' than other WTF things lately. Very technical, and well received. Some very experienced and proficient Avid folks were... surprised. One AE even said that they felt - based on what they saw - that they had been, quote "misled" regarding the capabilities of X for this level of work. The AE's demo'd (in real time) the process of syncing dailies for a scene, creating multi cams, and adding script notes to the clips' "notes" column, in about 5 minutes. They said it took about an hour or two, including double checking everything for accuracy, to prep each days worth of stuff.

This was followed by Mike Matzdorff introducing Billy Fox, and Michael Yanovich to talk about their impressions of X. Fox has been messing with it for a while, is seriously impressed by it, but is still held back by the current lack of a mixer of some sort, and project/Library sharing. For the most part, very enthusiastic.

Yanovich, who was a huge skeptic, is now a convert. He's only really learned X over the 6 weeks leading up to this event. Likes it so much he's pushing to use it on his next show. They had some valid critiques, but very balanced, and realistic.

A little hostility from Avid die-hards in the hands on area. ("No asymmetrical trim?!?!", that type of thing...) But all in all... fun. My only criticism would be that, of the 3 events over the last couple weeks, this had the least interesting food.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: ACE Tech Day Recap...
on Mar 13, 2016 at 9:01:36 pm

[Charlie Austin] "This will probably not be as exhaustive as Tim would like. ;-)"

I find your report.....acceptable.

LOL Kidding. I love it. Exactly the kind of detail I was hoping for.

Thanks!

Nothing substantial to add at the moment, but I know you've been nervous and I wanted to let you know that you're safe for now. LOL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]