FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seriously, I need an XML work around.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Clinton
Seriously, I need an XML work around.
on Jul 3, 2011 at 7:40:41 pm

So I'm getting my feet wet with FCPX now, and I've noticed there is no XML export (currently). That makes it pretty much useless to me seeing as most of my projects go through AE in the end. The best way I've found to work is to export an XML from FCP7 then use the FCP_to_AE script and bring everything into AE. Now that I don't have that option with FCPX, can anyone think of a good work flow so I can still edit clips in AE? Does anyone have any suggestions or theories on how I can export an XML now?

(I will keep using FCP7 until this issue is resolved, and I understand that Apple wants me to use Motion instead of AE. I heard automatic duck is working on this issue and I've also heard about Python and the probability that XML support was scrapped to ship on time.)

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Seriously, I need an XML work around.
on Jul 3, 2011 at 7:56:39 pm

Apple said in their http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/ they would be releasing an API to get at the new XML very soon. But until that happens, there is no XML out of FCPX.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:07:48 am

It will be interesting to see how this 'new' XML works and how compatible it is with things. The new XML is called AXEL from interent reports. [Apple eXchange Language Editing] I am sure once Apple hands out the decoder ring, Automatic Duck will be happy to sell you a program to work with FCPX, but the question is, how will this 'new' XML get adopted if it is dissimilar enough to XML for people to rewrite code for?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:50:34 am

[Brian Mulligan] "...how will this 'new' XML get adopted if it is dissimilar enough to XML for people to rewrite code for?"

XML parsing is pretty trivial, and while FCPX is getting beaten up right now, I don't think it will have trouble finding third party support for its XML. You have hit on an important point though. Having XML output support is only half the equation. Everyone else needs to add support to read it as well.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 4, 2011 at 1:48:25 am

[Brian Mulligan] "The new XML is called AXEL from interent reports. [Apple eXchange Language Editing] I"

That's worrying. Sounds a bit like another proprietary format, and Apple does not like playing with others unless it has control.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Jerry Clinton
on Jul 5, 2011 at 1:21:37 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit worried that Apple shot themselves in the foot on this one. Hope they can make some adjustments and get back the market share they had, because if AXEL sucks then they'll probably lose a lot of business.

Return to posts index

jamie thorne
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:08:49 pm

There is a script for AE that can (apparently) split layers when it detects a scene change in an edit. The link to the script is here.> http://aescripts.com/magnum-the-edit-detector/

I haven't used the script so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. Having done manual split layers in the I past understand the work you're trying to avoid. Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Andrew Landini
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:52:20 am

There is a script for AE that can (apparently) split layers when it detects a scene change in an edit. The link to the script is here.> http://aescripts.com/magnum-the-edit-detector/

That would work, but your handles aren't coming for the ride.

1) Use an "Export>Batch List" file from FCP7 as a template.
2) Open Text Edit
3) Manually input data from FCPX.
4) Open in FCP7, export XML

WE'LL DO IT LIVE

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jul 4, 2011 at 4:07:59 am

I've tried to use the Magnum script, but without any usable results so far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]