FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX rookie question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Caughey
FCPX rookie question
on Mar 2, 2016 at 10:19:21 pm

Hi,I'm new to this forum and relatively new to video editing in general. I have about a year experience with FCPX and it's the only editing software I use right now.

Anyway, I've been hired to produce a low budget, local TV commercial and the broadcaster (Comcast) just sent me a number of format requirements that I'm unfamiliar with. Does anyone know if FCPX is able to meet typical broadcast standards, if there is such a thing? Or is there a resource you could point me towards the answers?

FWIW the client knows I've never done a broadcast spot before and may not be able to deliver. I have plenty of time to figure this out, but the sooner the better. Flame away if this is completely off base. Thanks!

Matt

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: FCPX rookie question
on Mar 2, 2016 at 11:50:55 pm

Short answer is... yes. :-) Can you post the specs?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:27:19 pm

I have seen Comcast specs. There is nothing unusual about them. I believe they will take MPEG-2, ProRes or H.264 in 1080i or 720p.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:49:59 pm

Anything you can't export from FCPX, you can output using Compressor or free apps like MPEG STREAMCLIP or FLV Crunch.

Be especially careful about the video and audio levels: use the scopes to make sure you don't exceed 100 IRE for bright white or 7.5 IRE for black, and double-check everything on the audio.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 3, 2016 at 7:44:39 pm

I thought the black levels for digital is 0 IRE, with 7.5 reserved for analog. It is possible I could be missing something here. Not trying to confuse anyone, just wanted some clarification on the subject.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 3, 2016 at 9:04:31 pm

[David Mathis] "I thought the black levels for digital is 0 IRE, with 7.5 reserved for analog. It is possible I could be missing something here. Not trying to confuse anyone, just wanted some clarification on the subject."

No, you are correct. If it's a digital video signal then black should should be 0. If it's an analog signal then black should be 7.5.

All this only applies to the US though. If you are in Japan then both analog and digital are both 0. Yay, standards! ;)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 5, 2016 at 11:51:44 pm

Component signals should be 0 too I believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]