FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your software is not the best

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Northcross
Your software is not the best
on Feb 23, 2016 at 8:00:40 pm

Read an article that I think is germane to the debate that goes on in this forum.

http://blog.render.st/guest-post-my-career-with-vfx-software-or-your-softwa...

Its an article written by a vfx artist that talks about his experience with vfx software over the course of his career and his takeaway that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether or not you use software package X vs software package Z rather, what can you do with the tool that you have.

Whether you believe that you can or you can't, you're absolutely right.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Your software is not the best
on Feb 23, 2016 at 8:20:25 pm

Great article, thanks for sharing.

"The truth is, every program is going to have things you like and don’t like. They are all missing some feature you will need someday. There is definitely some other piece of software out there that can do that one thing or other better than your software."

Your link didn't work for some reason, so here it is again.

The healthy thing about the visual effects world is that you have to learn so many different tools, which themselves keep changing and evolving and leapfrogging each other all the time, that it doesn't make sense to develop a sentimental attachment to anything.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 23, 2016 at 9:08:51 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The healthy thing about the visual effects world is that you have to learn so many different tools, which themselves keep changing and evolving and leapfrogging each other all the time, that it doesn't make sense to develop a sentimental attachment to anything.
"

Very true and well said! The hard part is when one has a bias (we all do) towards a particular piece of software. I learned rather quickly to use one NLE over another when it comes down to a specific workflow that involves the least amount of going around in circles trying to do a specific task. Some editing software has a primary function with everything else being secondary. Resolve is blurring that line with each new release. First it was color grading, then new editing features were added and now even more stuff has been added. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Is it possible that Resolve is an editor first then color grading or is it the other way around?

One thing I have considered is doing a rough cut in FCP X, then ship it over to Resolve because of better tools. Specifically keyframing and trimming. I do love Final Cut Pro but it is lacking in those two areas, which brings me to adding a new to post for feature requests. Things that should have improved but never were. I am not dumping the software and bailing ship, rather going to learn other software using the one that best meets my needs for a given workflow, trying to do away with sticking like glue to a certain editing software package.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 23, 2016 at 10:21:50 pm

Thanks for the link. Very interesting POV especially since in NLE-land there seems to be a lot more 'flag planting' in a single app where as in his work (whether at a big studio or at his home office) it appears to be more common to use a variety of specialized apps to get the job done.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 25, 2016 at 3:46:21 pm

You should not have a favourite weapon, or any other exaggerated preference for that matter. To become overly attached to one weapon is as bad as not knowing it sufficiently well. You should not imitate others, but use those weapons which suit you, and which you can handle properly. It is bad for both commanders and troops to entertain likes and dislikes. Pragmatic thinking is essential. These are things you must learn thoroughly.

From the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 25, 2016 at 4:05:57 pm

I went through the same experiences with 3D software and always thought that its not the software but the user.
Old argument that never dies :)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 26, 2016 at 12:36:51 am

[Eric Santiago] "always thought that its not the software but the user"

You're holding it wrong :)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index